Away Rotation Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greentealeaves

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a second year medical student and am planning to do my derm rotation third year at my home institution in late March 2022. If I finish this derm rotation at the end of March, will this hurt my applications for away rotations at all given the late timing? Or is it fine? I'm assuming away rotations will probably return back to normal by fall 2022.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a second year medical student and am planning to do my derm rotation third year at my home institution in late March 2022. If I finish this derm rotation at the end of March, will this hurt my applications for away rotations at all given the late timing? Or is it fine? I'm assuming away rotations will probably return back to normal by fall 2022.
Is this common at your school? I was under the impression most home derm rotations should be done at the beginning of your M4 year?

Yes. We have the option of doing electives in a select number of departments in third year. Dermatology is one of the options.

I don't think it makes a big difference. My rotation experience predates VSLO/VSAS but as far as I know, most away rotations don't expect you to have completed a home derm rotation by your M3 year. My recommendation would be to actually pursue your home derm rotation as late into M3 as possible. This will allow you to gain more clinical experience as an M3 and hopefully keep your name fresher in the faculty/residents' minds.

Reactions: 1 user