Away Rotations - Meeting with Program Director

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackblue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing aways, and I'm planning to set up a meeting with the Program Director and Associate Program Director of the program I'm currently rotating at. Other than expressing interest in the program, what are other good things to bring up during the meeting? Any other advice for these meetings would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the process of doing aways, and I'm planning to set up a meeting with the Program Director and Associate Program Director of the program I'm currently rotating at. Other than expressing interest in the program, what are other good things to bring up during the meeting? Any other advice for these meetings would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Are these meetings at the end of your rotation? I'm not sure how helpful these meetings ultimately are. I think expressing interest in the program is a given. If it is an end of rotation meeting, often times the PD will tease out some more information about your background to assist with a LOR. If you have something positive/constructive to say about the student rotation, I think that can be helpful (if appropriate. e.g. if the PD also runs the student rotations). This will obviously differ from PD to PD but at least for mine, I found the less I talked and the more she talked (when I was a medical student at least), the better for me.

Are these meetings at the end of your rotation? I'm not sure how helpful these meetings ultimately are. I think expressing interest in the program is a given. If it is an end of rotation meeting, often times the PD will tease out some more information about your background to assist with a LOR. If you have something positive/constructive to say about the student rotation, I think that can be helpful (if appropriate. e.g. if the PD also runs the student rotations). This will obviously differ from PD to PD but at least for mine, I found the less I talked and the more she talked (when I was a medical student at least), the better for me.
Thanks for your response! Yes, the meetings are at the end.

i would say just try to stay casual and friendly, and maybe consider the things you liked about your rotation and the program in general. residents and med students that come into these rotations and meetings hyper-interested or "with a plan" often come on too strong and impact their chances negatively. as much as anything else, programs want to make sure you interact well with the other physicians, the staff, and patients during your away rotations.