AZCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, lots of housing available nearby. If you want to do walking distance unless you're renting from a house nearby the apt's are pretty pricey, but then again if you're not paying for a car/gas it pretty much evens out. If you don't mind driving there are reasonably cheap places to live -- I'm renting a private room/bath in a 2 bd/ba condo 4 miles away so about 5-8 min driving distance for $425/mo inclusive of utilities, internet, washer/dryer, parking, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, lots of housing available nearby. If you want to do walking distance unless you're renting from a house nearby the apt's are pretty pricey, but then again if you're not paying for a car/gas it pretty much evens out. If you don't mind driving there are reasonably cheap places to live -- I'm renting a private room/bath in a 2 bd/ba condo 4 miles away so about 5-8 min driving distance for $425/mo inclusive of utilities, internet, washer/dryer, parking, etc.

Nice! Thanks.

We actually already have a pharmacy school. I haven't heard anything about physical therapy but the optometry school will be starting next year. The parking has only been a problem for us one time but I guess AZCOM students tend to have to be there at the crack of dawn when spots are still available. The new parking lot is supposed to have 250-275 spots but I haven't driven over there to check it out so I don't really have an idea of how far of a walk it is to classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I would add my two cents to the discussion. I can't speak for all the programs, but, I feel the general consensus is that the AZCOM students are very pleased with the school.

The parking situation has not been a problem for me at all. DO students start class at 8 AM every morning and there is plenty of parking at that time. I've also been able to leave for lunch and come back without any difficulty finding a spot. There are plans to build a new parking structure which (Don't quote me) I believe is to be opened next year. With that said, some of the construction has been a little behind as it always seems to be.

The good news is that the administration is really proactive and has a great relationship with the students. When the parking became a problem MWU opened up a new parking lot in the construction zone to alleviate the main lot.

Apartment pricing really depends on where you're moving from as everything is relative. During my apartment search, I was able to find a one bedroom apartment within walking distance for 720/month (Coming from California that's cheap). I ended up living in another, nicer, apartment complex a little further away but I can still ride my bike.

They put in that new parking lot in like two days. I was really impressed. It is right by where I live (on campus) and is really close to to everything.

I think it speaks highly of the administration here that they listened to student concerns, recognized that there was a problem, and then acted very quickly to find a solution.

So far I've been really pleased with my experience here at AZCOM.

A lot of students live in apartment complexes across the street but choose to drive to campus anyway. It is funny how lazy people can get when it means they have to wake up 10 minutes earlier.

Anyone interviewing Sept. 24th?

just signed up for oct 13!!!!!! very excited :D

Good luck to everyone interviewing today!! :luck: I am so glad that my husband and I ended up at AZCOM. :D

how was the interview day??

how was the interview day??

Great for me. I loved the experience and school. I think we were the first group to interview. They told us we would not find out for atleast 2 weeks. It's my top choice after going and I hope they send some love my way!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm nervous. This my first interview this cycle (Sept 24). I hope they don't grill me!

I'm nervous. This my first interview this cycle (Sept 24). I hope they don't grill me!

I wouldn't worry too much. When I interviewed here it felt like everyone went out of their way to put us at ease.

I'll be driving from Apache Junction, which is just east of Mesa.
googlemaps tells me that it'll take 1 hour and 10 minutes - is there really bad morning traffic this direction?
- going west on 60 then north on highway 101
thanks!!

I wouldn't worry too much. When I interviewed here it felt like everyone went out of their way to put us at ease.

They were very nice and warm....at least for me. All three were faculty members that had great personalities. It was my toughest interview but I think that's because it meant the most!

I'll be driving from Apache Junction, which is just east of Mesa.
googlemaps tells me that it'll take 1 hour and 10 minutes - is there really bad morning traffic this direction?
- going west on 60 then north on highway 101
thanks!!

It's possible. Last time I was on there, there was construction going on, but there were mostly just cones set up with no equipment in sight. Also, this was on a Saturday, so it might change.

There's no harm in leaving early I guess.

would it be in bad form for me to call up and see if my file was deserving of an interview? I am going to be in the area next week anyhow for my ATSU-SOMA interview. What days do they normally interview?

They have you schedule through a computer system. I don't think they'd offer one within the week unless someone cancelled. I scheduled mine for this Friday around a month ago.

I'm hoping I get an answer from 3 other schools first, so I can cancel...maybe you'll get my spot if LECOM-B, NSU or Touro-CA ever give me an answer.

Speaking of which, anyone interviewing tomorrow or Tues? I'm on the Tuesday one so maybe I'll see some of you there.

Speaking of which, anyone interviewing tomorrow or Tues? I'm on the Tuesday one so maybe I'll see some of you there.

I'm going to miss you by a day. I'm interviewing on Wednesday.

hey guys! it worked...kinda.
I called to request an interview and it turns out that I was already scheduled to receive one! So I will now be able to stay in Arizona for a little bit longer now :D

You should ride your bike there, with a straw holding your crankset together.

hey, i'm interviewing on monday september 29.. does anyone have an interview that day??

Can anyone tell me how long it was after you submitted the secondary and were complete? I submitted 9/18, but my LOR aren't showing up yet. They are on VirtualEvals, and I know AZCOM accepts them. Just wondering how long until I'm complete and then how long it will take for an interview decision. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me how long it was after you submitted the secondary and were complete? I submitted 9/18, but my LOR aren't showing up yet. They are on VirtualEvals, and I know AZCOM accepts them. Just wondering how long until I'm complete and then how long it will take for an interview decision. Thanks.

I submitted my secondary on 8/19 but wasn't complete until 9/10.

You may want to call them about your LORs because my premed adviser also used VirtualEvals to send my LORs to all of my schools. I was waiting to be complete at a few schools, including AZCOM; I called about my status, told them that my LORs were sent via VE, and they downloaded them right then.

hey guys! it worked...kinda.
I called to request an interview and it turns out that I was already scheduled to receive one! So I will now be able to stay in Arizona for a little bit longer now :D

that's awesome!! haha maybe i can do that too?
good luck on your interviews!

so what seems to be the hotel of choice that everyone is grabbing?
im gonna have to stay from this Thurs till next Monday!
I need something on the cheap...I can clean your kitchen for you if you let me couch surf :)

i called almost all of the hotels on the list on AZCOM's website.. i think the cheapest one I found was like $50 a night. I'm staying at the Candlewood Suites for around $70 a night..they give you discounts if you say you're coming for an interview

I am staying at a Holiday Inn Express or something. I have no idea where it is relative to the school. I don't really care too much. I get there the night before and usually just wander around and find stuff before hand.

Hello All,

Just wanted to read up on AZCOM's curriculum before the interview. Does anyone know where I can read a year-by-year breakdown of the curriculum. I've looked every where and have only seen general breakdown stuff on their site and in the forums.

Thnx a million in advance.

- D

Hello All,

Just wanted to read up on AZCOM's curriculum before the interview. Does anyone know where I can read a year-by-year breakdown of the curriculum. I've looked every where and have only seen general breakdown stuff on their site and in the forums.

Thnx a million in advance.

- D

Don't know if this is what you need or have already seen:
Arizona catalog

or pdf:
http://www.midwestern.edu/AZCatalog0809.pdf

I will be in the area Thursday night and Firday night, so if any of you guys are staying either night and want to snag a beer or something feel free to PM me for more info

If anyone is around on Sunday the 28th we should grab some eats/drinks and catch a couple of the games.

Since the ccom and azcom secondaries are pretty much exactly the same, I used the same essay to answer the question why "this school" However, when I copy, editied and pasted one essay to the new application, I missed one of the school name locations and i left one unchanged.

Will adcoms notice this and figure I couldnt be bothered to proofread or will they understand that in being asked to write the same things over and over, sometimes we students use form essays/letters like they do? AZCOM is one of my top choice schools and i want to know if this is something i should try to fix.

Since the ccom and azcom secondaries are pretty much exactly the same, I used the same essay to answer the question why "this school" However, when I copy, editied and pasted one essay to the new application, I missed one of the school name locations and i left one unchanged.

Will adcoms notice this and figure I couldnt be bothered to proofread or will they understand that in being asked to write the same things over and over, sometimes we students use form essays/letters like they do? AZCOM is one of my top choice schools and i want to know if this is something i should try to fix.

I did that with one of my secondaries (had a typo in there), contacted the admissions office about my error and how I would like to forward a revised version of the same document, and they had no problems letting me send it electronically. My file was updated that same week. I assume the original document with the typo was discarded, or at least will not be reviewed. Hope this helps.

so what seems to be the hotel of choice that everyone is grabbing?
im gonna have to stay from this Thurs till next Monday!
I need something on the cheap...I can clean your kitchen for you if you let me couch surf :)

I am staying at the comfort suites that they listed on their hotel list for my October 13th interview. It was around 70 a night which was way better than the 115 price range I was getting at most of the other hotels.

I just finished interviewing today. It is still pretty hot, so watch for that.

If you guys are coming in, I might be able to stop by when you guys are eating lunch. Megan is on the 13th; which day are you on MossPoh?

I was complete on 8/29...how long did it take you guys to get interviews??

I got an interview invite!!!
How long between the interview and the notice of the outcome for you guys that have acceptances?

thanks!!

I just finished interviewing today. It is still pretty hot, so watch for that.

If you guys are coming in, I might be able to stop by when you guys are eating lunch. Megan is on the 13th; which day are you on MossPoh?

Hey! So you just had your interview?? Mine is on October 29.. How did it go? Feel like sharing what kind of questions they asked? THis is my first interview so I'm super nervous!

Hey! So you just had your interview?? Mine is on October 29.. How did it go? Feel like sharing what kind of questions they asked? THis is my first interview so I'm super nervous!

There are 3 different groups of interviewers, so it really depends on whom you're assigned to. Questions will vary from group to group I assume. The style is 3 interviewers in the room and yourself, and they each ask questions in turn. I wasn't even asked the "Why D.O.?" or why medicine or why azcom...which I thought was pretty weird. However, everyone else I spoke to got asked that, so you can count on it.

It went pretty well. They asked me the usual Why DO, why medicine, why AZCOM questions, but it was mostly them talking about my volunteer and research on my resume. They pretty much made most of the questions very specific to my app so I think it went well because of that. I'm not sure what I could put on an interview feedback when I get around to doing it.

Good luck on the 29th! Seems pretty far off from now, so you'll have time to prepare. It'll probably be cool in AZ by then too, so the tour will be extra nice :laugh:

Good luck on the 29th! Seems pretty far off from now, so you'll have time to prepare. It'll probably be cool in AZ by then too, so the tour will be extra nice :laugh:

I meant September 29th.. oops lol. So only 5 days left. Thanks for the help though!!!

If anybody has any questions, just PM me. I'm a 2nd year.

hey all! i just came back from AZ yesterday after my interview. glendale and the campus are beautiful! very very hot, but i'm from the midwest :) the interview was laidback like everyone said. what i didn't know is that the interview is "semi-blind" meaning they don't have your test scores or grades. what they have are your essays, personal statement, and your resume. my interviewers mainly based their questions of the resume, so make sure you know it inside and out! if you have any specific questions, let me know! good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.