AZcomer's...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biocmp

I'm a computer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would all of you AZcomer's post your stats? I heard it is pretty competitive, and I have a terrible undergraduate record except for this past semester. I want to know what I can do to make myself competitive. Also, if you have the time post your EC's. I don't know what they look at, so I would like to get a feel for the school. I want to be in sports medicine, and I hear AZcom has some staff related to the field.

Members don't see this ad.

biocmp said:
Would all of you AZcomer's post your stats? I heard it is pretty competitive, and I have a terrible undergraduate record except for this past semester. I want to know what I can do to make myself competitive. Also, if you have the time post your EC's. I don't know what they look at, so I would like to get a feel for the school. I want to be in sports medicine, and I hear AZcom has some staff related to the field.

AZCOM was the first school I was accepted to before my August MCAT came in. I didn't hear from several other DO schools until my August MCAT came in (I went up 4 points.)

Thank you OSUdoc, but could you relate exactly what you are meaning. I gather from your post you are saying that it is not that competitive of a school? Perhaps OSUcom is better? If you would like to send it in a pm, I would gladly listen to your reasoning behind OSUcom being a great school. Anyway, back to the point.

(If I am wrong OSUdoc, forgive me. I am not trying to start yet another battle amongst Osteopathic students)

Members don't see this ad :)
biocmp said:
Thank you OSUdoc, but could you relate exactly what you are meaning. I gather from your post you are saying that it is not that competitive of a school? Perhaps OSUcom is better? If you would like to send it in a pm, I would gladly listen to your reasoning behind OSUcom being a great school. Anyway, back to the point.

(If I am wrong OSUdoc, forgive me. I am not trying to start yet another battle amongst Osteopathic students)

Oh I was just saying that with my 24 MCAT, I was accepted to AZCOM & KCOM

I didn't hear from OSU-COM or DMU-COM until my 28 came in (29 taking the best score from each section.)

I wasn't alluding anything about the school itself. AZCOM had a 100% board pass rate last year, and Phoenix is an excellent place to live. I'm actually applying to residency there.

Yes, after interviewing at 3 DO schools and 3 MD schools, AZCOM really seems so top notch, they really seem to have it together and you can't lie with the pass rates they produce year after year compared to every other osteopathic school out there...Plus Phoenix is a fantastic place to live.

didn't apply to azcom, but they appear to be on the higher end for admissions. according to usnews, they accept about 15% of their out of state applicants. average gpa is 3.4 and average mcat is 27 (average of 9 in each section). from reading sdn, it appears to be a very popular choice, so i guess it's only getting more competitive.

I'm a pretty average student and was accepted there only 4 days after my interview. I declined the offer though because I felt that the other schools I got into (DMU, OSU, CCOM) were a little more established and technologically advanced than AZCOM. Besides, it is hotter than hell there. Just my opinion, however it was a great school and you can't go wrong with Phoenix. Don't flame me, it is just my opinion, handle it. :thumbup:

No flaming here. I'll give you the <_______> flame guard, that's what that thing is! Anyways, thank you for keeping this civil everybody. More input would be greatly appreciated. Anything about AZcom or sports medicine is fair game. Please keep it going, i'm trying to put everything together.

I was accepted last year with 3.1 GPA from UC San Diego and a 28 MCAT. EC includes: San Diego City EMT, worked as an assistant for DO internist with house call practice, volunteer in ER of Childrens' Hospital, and health missions to Guatemala.

Thus far, I am really happy with my decision to attend AZCOM. The professors do a great job, the facilities are really nice, and even the weather isn't as bad as I anticipated.

Hope that helps..Good luck

also mdapps would be a great place to look, you can search to see all the profiles of people interviewed and/or accepted by AZCOM.

crys20 said:
also mdapps would be a great place to look, you can search to see all the profiles of people interviewed and/or accepted by AZCOM.

Unfortunately, MDapps is skewed toward the higher end of the spectrum, and can often be misleading/discouraging.

yes my friend you're right. unfortunately, i think SDN is a bit skewed as well sometimes. :) the best bet is always to check to see what the avgs are and how close you are to those, also bearing in mind that DO schools are more apt to look at the "extras" in your application, trends, etc.

I'm an MSI and my stats are
3.56 undergrad gpa (had a rough term in there for personal reasons)
30 MCAT

I really like it there, although I have enjoyed the last couple of weeks at home in Oregon. You just gotta find the right fit where you can become the kinda doc you want to be. I was accepted into several other schools, CCOM and KCOM amoung them, and I'm 100% pos that I made the right choice going with AZCOM. Let me know if you have any specific questions later on

I was accepted at AZCOM for the class of 2010. You can see my stats by clicking the link in my signature.