Back to Basic Strategy WW Sign up and GAME THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would it make sense for a wolf to vote to lynch another wolf if they weren't going to end up with the most votes on the lynch? Maybe as a way to either say "look I voted for the wolf earlier so I'm not a wolf" or if a wolf dies maybe players will think the people that wolf voted to lynch couldn't be wolves because they were voted for by a wolf?

I was just looking at who STL had voted for and was wondering. Also kinda looking at who didn't vote/who voted for whom, but I guess that doesn't matter as much since lynch was closed early.

Members don't see this ad.

Would it make sense for a wolf to vote to lynch another wolf if they weren't going to end up with the most votes on the lynch? Maybe as a way to either say "look I voted for the wolf earlier so I'm not a wolf" or if a wolf dies maybe players will think the people that wolf voted to lynch couldn't be wolves because they were voted for by a wolf?

I was just looking at who STL had voted for and was wondering. Also kinda looking at who didn't vote/who voted for whom, but I guess that doesn't matter as much since lynch was closed early.
Yes, wolves vote for other wolves all the time

STL very well could have voted for another wolf to cause confusion, which is why most veterans won't look at who stl voted for (didn't even cross my mind to do so)

I technically didn't vote to lynch stl on the day he died. Didn't make it in on time to vote for the bandwagon. Days like that you can't learn anything from a voting pattern.

We can (and have, hence the AM lynch vote) analyzed lynch votes prior to us knowing for sure stl was a wolf to see if we can gather anything from that... May be nothing, but it's the best data we have to go from.

Wolves will definitely jump on lynching other wolves and use it as a defense later. They will sometimes throw it out as an early vote and if that wolf is lynched say "see? I spotted it before the rest of you." Or if a mob gets forming, jump on to it so they don't stick out as not voting for the wolf.

Members don't see this ad :)
peer pressure ftw

unlynch teep
lynch AM

There should be an extra vote on me, unless that rocky genny hybrid is on purpose and not a mistake. I'm going to hold off on throwing a Lynch vote in, and potentially let AM come back on and try to make a case for herself.

Also, Apologies for bringing a bunch of meta game junk into this conversation, I just think LOTF is playing in her usual style is all.

I think meta-game analysis can be infuriating sometimes, because people frequently pull the "OMG, so-n-so isn't posting as much this game!" kind of stuff, when in fact it just turns out you've been busy and not around as much.

But at the same time, it's legitimate. Just like every flawed data analysis, it needs to be considered with a grain of salt and not given *too* much weight, but it's still perfectly legitimate. So you shouldn't apologize. It's more fun than players just sitting there day after day throwing RNG votes.

Reactions: 1 user
and my 3rd suspicion is actually LIS who in a very subtle way was trying to cast doubt from stl to me.

Well. I honestly felt like your move on STL could have been interpreted as a slick early wolf move. Let's face it, if you had been a wolf, STL is a good player for you to remove early. So it caught my attention. Turns out it was the other way around, but.... I can't apologize for being suspicious of you. *shrug*

One last note and then I have to go to sleep....

Something LIS said made me suspicious of him, but I can't remember what. I am reluctant to act on it just yet, because I am always biased to be suspicious of him it seems. If I can find it I will point it out and let y'all decide. It was a stylistic thing about how glib he was playing. Just seemed like he had too much of a devil may care attitude. Or maybe he is just happier these days away from vet school, and I don't recognize him anymore.

Lol. Or maybe it's just because I've gotten kinda meh about whether I win, lose, get lynched, get killed, etc.

I'm not gonna fight a "stylistic" attack. If you think it's that suspicious, lynch me. But do me a favor - next game when I'm glib, remember this game so you don't get distracted by it again. K?

I don't think you should be reluctant to act. In games like this with limited data, you should play your feelings. If you think I'm a wolf, don't hold back. Lynch me.

You'd be wrong, but that's beside the point. I really think people should be willing to act on even hazy suspicions.

Yes, wolves vote for other wolves all the time

STL very well could have voted for another wolf to cause confusion, which is why most veterans won't look at who stl voted for (didn't even cross my mind to do so)

I technically didn't vote to lynch stl on the day he died. Didn't make it in on time to vote for the bandwagon. Days like that you can't learn anything from a voting pattern.

We can (and have, hence the AM lynch vote) analyzed lynch votes prior to us knowing for sure stl was a wolf to see if we can gather anything from that... May be nothing, but it's the best data we have to go from.

1) As a wolf, I pretty much ignore what my pack says and I vote for who I would vote for normally. I mean, within reason. I don't lead some tirade against another wolf, but I try really hard to just play the game straight up and vote how I otherwise would. Which definitely means voting for other wolves. So I totally agree.

2) I didn't vote for STL either. Same reason - I cast a vote, left, and then wham-o, he got plurality bandwagoned. I have to admit that in a stretch game like this, I am not a fan of plurality.

Finally:

unlynch LoTF ... I still feel her comment was sketchy, but I'll defer to the more-than-one person who have said it's her typical style.

lynch AM

Well. I honestly felt like your move on STL could have been interpreted as a slick early wolf move. Let's face it, if you had been a wolf, STL is a good player for you to remove early. So it caught my attention. Turns out it was the other way around, but.... I can't apologize for being suspicious of you. *shrug*

And by "being suspicious," I mean "having been suspicious." After recent stuff, I don't think you're a wolf. At least, yet. I think you make a great convert potential down the road, though, which sucks, because more and more I hate conversion.

Beetle juice beetle juice beetle juice

Sorry, no internet. I've had a migraine for four days now and I am this close to losing my mind.... Holy schnikes, Batman.

Lynch AM. LotF is on my radar for being a dingby.... Catching up on this thread with my migraine makes me want to remove my eyes with spoons. Sorry @dyachei . I may require a sub, coach. I am about to leave for a camping trip til Friday. I get internet again Saturday but I dunno how I will be if I still have a feckin' migraine then.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, AM's defense of STL came before they revealed and before people tried to claim to vote for him because he had a role (which was a stupid reason for people to want to lynch him, and if you read my reasoning behind lynching him I didn't realize or care he made some sort of role claim before coming out as the affiliation seer)...

Whoops. You're right. Should've went back and read instead of relying on memory. Thanks for clearing that up

And by "being suspicious," I mean "having been suspicious." After recent stuff, I don't think you're a wolf. At least, yet. I think you make a great convert potential down the road, though, which sucks, because more and more I hate conversion.
I like when I'm a suspect... Keeps the wolves from wanting to kill me, and if it's nothing hard I am often able to talk my way out of any hard lynch attempt. Right now I'm either gonna die in the next night or two or be forever suspected of being a wolf convert

I think randomly assigned roles to wolves/villagers is an interesting game mechanic but I don't know that I expect it to be in this basics game. I feel like it would be too easy to tip the scales into wolf favor, and since both villagers and wolves had a seer, that doesn't seem to follow randomness to me.

Just landed from a gorgeous night flight to Lancaster and back.. so not following too well right now.

One point I have been dying to make though:
STL seemed pretty sure of himself that they were going to be able to kill WTF, so I think he wanted to make that point for a reason. He also talked about blocking the protector to the end of the game.

I have a theory that this could happen because roles were assigned independently of wolf/villager affiliation and the wolves lucked out and got the protector role. STL would then be trying to give a reason why they keep the protector... a wolf... alive.

Not going to be able to substantiate that, but something to think about.

I agree that STL was confident in being able to kill WTF but I don't think it's because we have a wolf protector. I enjoyed your game where the roles were randomly assigned separately from affiliation but I don't think that's what we're dealing with in a basics game.

Reading back, I realize that I and others were hesitant to lynch STL at first. I had thought since it was more likely he had a role that it would be best to give it a few days but I had no issues with revisiting the situation. That being said, AM's posts do seem more sketch than others giving their timing, placement, and trying to get votes off of STL.

Lynch AM

Is it likely that the wolves knew who the other wolves were before they could talk together N1? I've never been a wolf so I'm not sure how it works, like if they get a list of the other wolves or something?

Is it likely that the wolves knew who the other wolves were before they could talk together N1? I've never been a wolf so I'm not sure how it works, like if they get a list of the other wolves or something?

Yes. They probably had the wolf chat pm set up by the mod already. While the couldnt talk til night they could look at the chat and see who was in the pm.

Wait, why is no one waiting for @Animal Midwife's defense? I know I voted for her to try and pressure her into responding. Doesn't anyone else like to hear from the accused before making a final judgement?

Right now, I think we've hit plurality, so I think it's too late. If not, unlynch AM until she responds.

Don't get me wrong, I still think she's sketchy. However, I don't think someone should be lynched without a chance to defend themselves just for being sketchy. I'd rather provoke a response and analyze that.

I'm assuming they would know somehow, I just wanna make sure because otherwise my reasoning for the AM lynch kinda has a hole in it haha

This AM bandwagon got moving pretty quickly, I'm sure some wolf votes were present to push it that way. It feels a lot like the lynch someone quickly so we can get to the next day mentality we were trying to avoid with this game.

This AM bandwagon got moving pretty quickly, I'm sure some wolf votes were present to push it that way. It feels a lot like the lynch someone quickly so we can get to the next day mentality we were trying to avoid with this game.

I don't think people are voting for her just to get day over with.

It's because rojo is all feely.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not saying that some people don't have reasons, but there are just enough lukewarm type votes mixed in to make it feel more like a push to end things.
Ah, well that's fair.

Particularly:

peer pressure ftw

unlynch teep
lynch AM

This stands out as a weird vote. You don't have to vote with everyone else, especially if you're not feeling it.

Ah, well that's fair.

Particularly:

This stands out as a weird vote. You don't have to vote with everyone else, especially if you're not feeling it.
That one stood out to me as well. Not only explicitly voting with everyone else, but doing so after dyachei warned about plurality being close. Honestly, it's so badly worded that I'd call it a severe noob mistake, no matter her alignment.

AB<3 just rose on my list of suspicious targets. I'll go read her other posts later.

Ah, well that's fair.

Particularly:

Did AB<3 vote to lynch AM and it's not showing up on my mobile? I just see the unlynch.

I agree it's weird, especially with everyone's thoughts in this game alone on voting based on your own feels and reasoning. You don't need to have read other threads to know that voting with the majority just cuz is frowned upon.

Official lynch tally:
teep 3
(am, rocky, genny)
AM 13 (rojo, 1dog, lotf, dvmd, guis, pbc, bbc, meathead, mq, ab, lis, kdubs, fb)
1dog 1 (SOV)

17/24 votes
8/24 minimums met

I don't think people are voting for her just to get day over with.

this is exactly the issue that I'm trying to get you guys away from. this happens *every* game.

lynch closed results pending.

Animal Midlife is lynched. she was a
Vanillager

23 players left

night deadline is 10:00 pm Monday 6/27.
1. DVMD
2. LotF
3. vetmedhead
4. kaydubs
5. Teep
6. Jilary
7. Animal Midwife - villager
8. Filly Bay
9. Katashark
10. Rocky
11. Hayley - villager
12. SandstormDVM - villager

13. PrincessButterCup
14. STL - wolf seer
15. Zensing
16. LeTitsNow
17. morninqlory
18. Guis
19. ResoluteMike
20. BBC
21. genny
22. BSC
23. rojo
24. WTF - village seer
25. Diva
26. 1dogg
27. sheltermed
28. AlphaBeta<3

Vetmedhead is found slashed to bits. She was a
Tracker

There was also a mod-kill tonight.

Katashark was a
Vanillager

please welcome @WildZoo , who will be replacing sheltermed
21 players left

day deadline is 11:00 am Wednesday 6/29.
1. DVMD
2. LotF
3. vetmedhead - tracker
4. kaydubs
5. Teep
6. Jilary
7. Animal Midwife - villager
8. Filly Bay
9. Katashark - villager
10. Rocky
11. Hayley - villager
12. SandstormDVM - villager

13. PrincessButterCup
14. STL - wolf seer
15. Zensing
16. LeTitsNow
17. morninqlory
18. Guis
19. ResoluteMike/SOV
20. BBC
21. genny
22. BSC
23. rojo
24. WTF - village seer
25. Diva
26. 1dogg
27. sheltermed/WZ
28. AlphaBeta<3

1) As a wolf, I pretty much ignore what my pack says and I vote for who I would vote for normally. I mean, within reason. I don't lead some tirade against another wolf, but I try really hard to just play the game straight up and vote how I otherwise would. Which definitely means voting for other wolves. So I totally agree.

2) I didn't vote for STL either. Same reason - I cast a vote, left, and then wham-o, he got plurality bandwagoned. I have to admit that in a stretch game like this, I am not a fan of plurality.

Finally:

unlynch LoTF ... I still feel her comment was sketchy, but I'll defer to the more-than-one person who have said it's her typical style.

lynch AM
I've waited all day to post this, but this post rubs me the wrong way. You say you aren't a fan of plurality in a game like this, then you chose to lynch the person in the lead after the mod states that plurality has almost been reached! I agree with other's reasons for being suspiscious of her, but I would not have jumped on the bandwagon after dy stated plurality had almost been reached and AM still hadn't been on to defend. I would have preferred giving a chance for defence, and a chance for others to discuss other possible lynch options.

So since tracker was killed (sadness!), how likely is it now that the wolves don't know who the protector is? I would assume they would want the protector gone first and are trying to buy more time to find out who it is, thoughts?

So since tracker was killed (sadness!), how likely is it now that the wolves don't know who the protector is? I would assume they would want the protector gone first and are trying to buy more time to find out who it is, thoughts?

In my opinion, it's a higher priority to get rid of those who can actively identify you doing something wolfy/being a wolf (so seers and trackers) and then take out the protector. STL even said in his wolf brag post that they were going to focus on those who can identify them and just keep blocking the protector until all the perceived villager threats were gone. Again, I know you can't trust a wolf brag, but it seems as though he may have been telling the truth about some of their plans. That said, I really hope that they don't actually know who the protector is. It's possible that you're right- they might've been trying to buy time. I don't think it's likely, but it certainly is possible, and I hope you're right!

In my opinion, it's a higher priority to get rid of those who can actively identify you doing something wolfy/being a wolf (so seers and trackers) and then take out the protector. STL even said in his wolf brag post that they were going to focus on those who can identify them and just keep blocking the protector until all the perceived villager threats were gone. Again, I know you can't trust a wolf brag, but it seems as though he may have been telling the truth about some of their plans. That said, I really hope that they don't actually know who the protector is. It's possible that you're right- they might've been trying to buy time. I don't think it's likely, but it certainly is possible, and I hope you're right!

Ahh, makes sense. I suppose a tracker could prove more of a threat to the wolves, both if they have a way to block the protector and if the protector doesn't know for sure who they're protecting is someone who is important and needs it.

black-blue-brown-dead-funny-photography-Favim.com-88983.jpg

My first official Ghost Post of the game. (I love this picture lol)

Reactions: 4 users
I've waited all day to post this, but this post rubs me the wrong way. You say you aren't a fan of plurality in a game like this, then you chose to lynch the person in the lead after the mod states that plurality has almost been reached! I agree with other's reasons for being suspiscious of her, but I would not have jumped on the bandwagon after dy stated plurality had almost been reached and AM still hadn't been on to defend. I would have preferred giving a chance for defence, and a chance for others to discuss other possible lynch options.

I explained why I did it. And as far as the "no defense" ... just because you like to let people defend - I don't really give a rat's ass. If you want to defend - be around to defend. If you aren't around (either because you're lazy or just genuinely busy), tough luck, don't whine, play the next game. If I came back to find myself bandwagoned and unable to defend I'd gripe about in stars, but I wouldn't be serious because hey - it would be my fault I wasn't around.

I've never been a big fan of worrying about someone defending. There was plenty of time for AM to check in.

(A little more follow-up: Part of my couldn't-care-less-about-defending is the fact that a LOT LOT LOT of players seem to take that really seriously. And I have totally abused that as a wolf. See a lynch start against you? Just go radio silent. For the last two years that's given you a relatively high probability of someone jumping in to say "Awwww guys.... we can't lynch him! He hasn't had a chance to defend!" as long as you aren't being lynched over outright seer results or something.)

Reactions: 2 users
Hai guise :heckyeah:

I kind of wish I had kept track of all the thoughts I had while I wasn't playing, but I didn't. Maybe I'll remember them later.

I am glad STL was lynched before his plan to have me subbed in for him happened. Didn't want to step into that **** show.

On that topic, I'm sure he is giggling somewhere about "Oh I gave them so much info but also laced it with lies tee hee!" and he gets great enjoyment out of dropping truth into his wolf spew when he's outted, but I still choose to ignore it. It is simply impossible and can be dangerously misleading to try to parse out the truth from the lies. So to whether or not the wolves know who the protector is - does it matter at this point? I figure they probably do, the protector was blocked, and that's how wtf was killed. If that's not what happened, well, that's interesting but doesn't really have much bearing on how we play the game since we can't know for sure. At some point you just have to make some assumptions and let the 5000 different tiny possibilities go (unless they suddenly become relevant). Sucks to have our seer and tracker gone so early though. I do kind of want to see if there was something on the thread hinting at vethead being the tracker, but it's more curiosity than strategy.

(A little more follow-up: Part of my couldn't-care-less-about-defending is the fact that a LOT LOT LOT of players seem to take that really seriously. And I have totally abused that as a wolf. See a lynch start against you? Just go radio silent. For the last two years that's given you a relatively high probability of someone jumping in to say "Awwww guys.... we can't lynch him! He hasn't had a chance to defend!" as long as you aren't being lynched over outright seer results or something.)
I get what you're saying--nothing is stopping someone from simply laying low and hoping the tide against them changes when people think they aren't "around" to defend. At the same time though, I feel like when person-of-interest is completely absent it also makes for a very easy bandwagon (for wolves or otherwise to jump on until plurality), and rarely nets wolves/much info other than breaking some eggs...

Reactions: 1 users
+/- on the benefits of looking to see who has mostly been musing about game mechanics rather than other players' posts? Just from the outside it seemed like there was a lot of time spent going in circles on speculation about how certain events played out rather than actively wolf hunting, and I'm wondering if there are particular people that were mostly doing that. Seems to me that would be a nice way for a wolf to seem like they are being helpful without actually being helpful. I'd have to look into it tomorrow though.

I get what you're saying--nothing is stopping someone from simply laying low and hoping the tide against them changes when people think they aren't "around" to defend. At the same time though, I feel like when person-of-interest is completely absent it also makes for a very easy bandwagon (for wolves or otherwise to jump on until plurality), and rarely nets wolves/much info other than breaking some eggs...
LIS does love his omelets you know

I'd be looking at everyone who started bandwagoning/voting with the mention of plurality, in my opinion. You might find wolves there however you're probably likely to find villagers too.