Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is your overall cgpa and sgpa? When were you verified and what schools did you apply to?

ucGPA and usGPA where both around 2.9, graduate school was all science courses. I was verified June 3rd and I applied across the board to many schools. I am also a Texas resident and applied to those schools as well (haven't heard a peep from them).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really glad I found this thread. I've been giving myself the crazies looking at SDN and only seeing people with 3.5+ gpas.

I went to an Ivy League undergrad, and came out of it with 2.85 GPA. I know that a lot of this was because I was just NOT prepared in any way for the academic rigor of an ivy league institution (so freshman year was rough). I was able to do pretty well my sophomore and junior years, but then I went through some **** senior year and ended up failing a class and ruining the gpa I had worked so hard to build up after freshman year.

Since I graduated in 2012 I have been working as a research coordinator doing some pretty cool clinical trials--so I'm getting good research and clinical experience all in one. I'm slowly doing a DIY post-bac. So far I have taken Physics II, Orgo I, Orgo II, and got A/A- in all of those--not sure how much that will affect my gpa. Right now I'm studying for the MCAT while continuing to work full time. Planning on taking the MCAT in January. After I take the MCAT I will also take Genetics and possibly Biochem (while applying).

So--I'm just really going to bust my ass studying for the MCAT and hope that I get 30+, which I think will put me in a not terrible position for DO schools, what do you guys think?

I'm also a URM, and my PI keeps telling me that that alone should get me a couple of interviews, but I kind of think that is BS...

Good Luck to all of you! It is so refreshing to know I'm not alone :)

ucGPA and usGPA where both around 2.9, graduate school was all science courses. I was verified June 3rd and I applied across the board to many schools. I am also a Texas resident and applied to those schools as well (haven't heard a peep from them).

From what I've heard from SDN, if you haven't heard anything by October/November, then you should worry. But right now in early August, don't worry about it too much.

With your SMP gpa and the MCAT, my bets are you should be getting interviews soon, depending on where you applied of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really glad I found this thread. I've been giving myself the crazies looking at SDN and only seeing people with 3.5+ gpas.

I went to an Ivy League undergrad, and came out of it with 2.85 GPA. I know that a lot of this was because I was just NOT prepared in any way for the academic rigor of an ivy league institution (so freshman year was rough). I was able to do pretty well my sophomore and junior years, but then I went through some **** senior year and ended up failing a class and ruining the gpa I had worked so hard to build up after freshman year.

Since I graduated in 2012 I have been working as a research coordinator doing some pretty cool clinical trials--so I'm getting good research and clinical experience all in one. I'm slowly doing a DIY post-bac. So far I have taken Physics II, Orgo I, Orgo II, and got A/A- in all of those--not sure how much that will affect my gpa. Right now I'm studying for the MCAT while continuing to work full time. Planning on taking the MCAT in January. After I take the MCAT I will also take Genetics and possibly Biochem (while applying).

So--I'm just really going to bust my ass studying for the MCAT and hope that I get 30+, which I think will put me in a not terrible position for DO schools, what do you guys think?

I'm also a URM, and my PI keeps telling me that that alone should get me a couple of interviews, but I kind of think that is BS...

Good Luck to all of you! It is so refreshing to know I'm not alone :)

Right. Honestly, don't rely on the urm stuff. Just bust your tail like your doing and score well on the MCAT. With DO replacement policy you should be fine though.

My gawd these freshmen!

So I am taking Gen. Chem I and Gen. Bio II right now...Some funny comments made to me:

When packing up: "So what's your major? Since you're the oldest person in this class" --- I busted up laughing at that

My lab ta: "Everyone call me Ms. S. Except for MajorUnderDog, since he is older than I am he can call me by my first name..." ----uhh ok... lol

There have been some more, but I can't think of them right now...I will post funny one's as they come along lol

Reactions: 1 users
I was pretty gung ho about loading up on classes this semester and graduating after taking my final course in a short winter session, but I have to drop one of my courses because it isn't covered by financial aid. I was going to have to pay for the winter course out of pocket but I can't swing paying for both. So now I'll take both in spring and finish my bachelors in May. I know it is the right thing, and will allow me to focus on my grades even more, but I'm still a bit bummed. I'll still be able to squeeze in a prereq or two at a community college in the spring, but it will probably end up pushing my application schedule back a year.

I know logically taking more time isn't bad if you still make it to med school, and I am only 26, but I still can't shake the urge to get things done as fast as I can. I also really want to see that cumulative GPA hit the 3.0 mark as soon as possible. I feel like that will be a huge relief.

Crossposting here because I just found this thread.

When all the other kids were studying hard at 18, I was too cool for school.
So i started a rock band, registered for classes which I didn't attend for 3 semesters. (ouch).

(NOTE: SKIP TO NEXT BOLD CAPS IF YOU JUST WANT THE QUESTION)

Fast forward to 2005-6: enrolled at a low level state tech school, got my EMT-B state (not NREMT)
Doing this gave me confidence I could succeed. Instead of getting employment, re-enrolled at the big state school (academic suspension long since over).

Academic amnesty granted. Did really great for a while.

Then in 2008, required surgery to implant a dual lead pacemaker. Dropped some classes, failed chem (because my instructor was informed ahead of time, and told me I could retake an exam I would miss...then went back on his word). Took a light semester, got back on the horse.

Met my wife. Moved to NOLA, got an amazing job in another area. Got my NREMT on the side, just in case (still never work in the field). Job worked around school schedule, transferred to UNO, kept chipping away at the degree.

Bought house. Work got hard. Time crunch. Did really well in some courses (like Organic I & II, A+ and B+). Other times, not so much. GPA drops from 3.3 ish to 3.1+.

Have kid. Job goes south, refuses to work with school . Forced to take a year break.

Finally say screw it, use remainder of saved money, Wife works full time, I do baby and full time school.
I finish out.....ok. 2.9, 3.0 depending on how it's calculated.

(OK, HERE'S THE TLDR)

So now i'm 34.
So I graduate B.S. Biology with a 2.9 . (two weeks ago)

My first choice would be pharmacy school. My second choice would be Physician's Assistant. My third would be Nursing school.

Now, I don't know if I'm a good candidate, a marginal candidate, or a 'snowball's chance in hell' candidate for these. The more I research, seems like the less I know. Some places say less than 3.5 gpa, no chance. Some posts here and there seems to contradict that.

I have not yet taken the PCAT . I don't wanna throw 1k at a prep course and spend a month studying if i'm hosed to begin with. I plan to take the GRE in the next two weeks, I hear it's cake.

Can anyone give me a realistic idea of my chances for my choices with a decent PCAT score? A good GRE for PA school? I've googled and put so much info into excel researching this over the past two weeks that my head is starting to give way - but i'm still not finding any relevant info .

Crossposting here because I just found this thread.

When all the other kids were studying hard at 18, I was too cool for school.
So i started a rock band, registered for classes which I didn't attend for 3 semesters. (ouch).

(NOTE: SKIP TO NEXT BOLD CAPS IF YOU JUST WANT THE QUESTION)

Fast forward to 2005-6: enrolled at a low level state tech school, got my EMT-B state (not NREMT)
Doing this gave me confidence I could succeed. Instead of getting employment, re-enrolled at the big state school (academic suspension long since over).

Academic amnesty granted. Did really great for a while.

Then in 2008, required surgery to implant a dual lead pacemaker. Dropped some classes, failed chem (because my instructor was informed ahead of time, and told me I could retake an exam I would miss...then went back on his word). Took a light semester, got back on the horse.

Met my wife. Moved to NOLA, got an amazing job in another area. Got my NREMT on the side, just in case (still never work in the field). Job worked around school schedule, transferred to UNO, kept chipping away at the degree.

Bought house. Work got hard. Time crunch. Did really well in some courses (like Organic I & II, A+ and B+). Other times, not so much. GPA drops from 3.3 ish to 3.1+.

Have kid. Job goes south, refuses to work with school . Forced to take a year break.

Finally say screw it, use remainder of saved money, Wife works full time, I do baby and full time school.
I finish out.....ok. 2.9, 3.0 depending on how it's calculated.

(OK, HERE'S THE TLDR)

So now i'm 34.
So I graduate B.S. Biology with a 2.9 . (two weeks ago)

My first choice would be pharmacy school. My second choice would be Physician's Assistant. My third would be Nursing school.

Now, I don't know if I'm a good candidate, a marginal candidate, or a 'snowball's chance in hell' candidate for these. The more I research, seems like the less I know. Some places say less than 3.5 gpa, no chance. Some posts here and there seems to contradict that.

I have not yet taken the PCAT . I don't wanna throw 1k at a prep course and spend a month studying if i'm hosed to begin with. I plan to take the GRE in the next two weeks, I hear it's cake.

Can anyone give me a realistic idea of my chances for my choices with a decent PCAT score? A good GRE for PA school? I've googled and put so much info into excel researching this over the past two weeks that my head is starting to give way - but i'm still not finding any relevant info .

I can't give you too much first hand info except that these boards are full of great information. Try searching for pharmacy v. PA for example and see what comes up. I can tell you just by being a pre-health student and so forth -- if I were in your shoes, I'd go for PA. It seems like the pharmacy market is saturated and just getting worse. If you like clinical, PA seems pretty cushy. Good money, clinical work, not terrible amount of responsibility, etc.

Also I have known people at my CC where I'm doing post-bacc work who were pursuing pharmacy school... I think if you rock the PCAT, you can get into a pharmacy school. Just my $.02 though!

Found out today that I may be able to do retroactive withdrawal for one of my semesters of bad grades. Has anyone had any success with this? I think it is a long shot for my situation but it is worth a try. I did some quick math and dropping that semester would raise my cGPA by .25 and my sGPA by .65, would make so much of a difference.

Found out today that I may be able to do retroactive withdrawal for one of my semesters of bad grades. Has anyone had any success with this? I think it is a long shot for my situation but it is worth a try. I did some quick math and dropping that semester would raise my cGPA by .25 and my sGPA by .65, would make so much of a difference.

Yeah I did this back in May. It was approved, But it wasn't easy. I had to provide a lot of documentation for evidence of why a W was deserved. It's worth the shot cause it really does help the gpa. Go for it. The worse that can happen is that they say "no". Best of luck

Reactions: 1 user
Currently taking Gen Chem I and Gen Bio II along with Sociology (lol) and a Math. This plus ~20 hours a week of Work aint a walk in the part lol. Barely finding time to volunteer, idk how people do crazy amounts of research/volunteering o_O...

Currently taking Gen Chem I and Gen Bio II along with Sociology (lol) and a Math. This plus ~20 hours a week of Work aint a walk in the part lol. Barely finding time to volunteer, idk how people do crazy amounts of research/volunteering o_O...

Similar schedule as yours this semester but with mcat prep. I had to drop all volunteering activities and work to just one 12 hour shift a week. All the volunteer coordinators were very understanding and appreciative of my honesty. They'd rather have me back in the spring with a lighter load than not at all. Prioritize and organize is key to this game.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing post-bacc work I moved my GPA from a 2.78c to a 3.2c... It took awhile, but I'm a 3rd year now, so you guys can do it! Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all! I'm finally on the pre-med track. Currently signed up for Chem and precalc. I have a full time job (I live in LA - I need to live lol) so that's why the load is sort of light. I'm super excited to begin this journey!! I hopefully have a volunteering gig lined up - just getting my letters of rec in order.

If anyone else is in the LA area let me know! It would be cool to maybe have a study group. :)

cGPA: 2.9ish
sGPA: 2.6ish (only 3 non pre req courses)

Good luck to all!!

Welp, I've been stalking this page for months now. Might as well post finally.

I am a senior Philosophy major at an accredited private school in Texas with a 2.62 overall gpa.
Science courses grades:
Bio 1 -B
Bio 1 lab -C+
Bio 2 -C+
Bio 2 lab -C+
Chem 1 -C+
Chem 1 lab -A
Chem 2 -C
Chem 2 lab -A
Genetics -C+
Genetics Lab -B
HPhys -C
OChem -C+
OChem -C
OChem lab -B
Phys 1 -B
Calculus -C
Stats -C+

Basically I have been a piss poor pre-med student. I excelled in my Philosophy courses but sciences not so much. Mainly because I was in an existential rut of not knowing if I was doing medicine for my own reasons or for my families. But then I took some time off and really thought about what is my life's purpose (although some people don't believe humans having a "divine" purpose). And really had a revelation, for lack of better terms, for a passion for medicine. So now I am in the redeeming process. My main focus right now is to get this A in my Biochem class and just graduating. I hope to retake pretty much all of these class sadly and really grasp the material. I will have to take the new MCAT which I'm not too worried about since the new has more "reading/thinking" sections which I'm naturally good at. (Took a practice MCAT and got 13 in verbal). Just really hoping I can actually redeem myself and have a chance in a DO school.

Are you at a university or cc

Ok so I see a ton of people saying not to take classes at a CC... Here is my story let me know what you guys think... Went to a cc did terrible my first few semesters. Went to another cc to be an RN have a 2.99 GPA there then went to a university for my BSN have 3.6 GPA.. Now I'm back at the first cc I went to for chem 1&2 which I got A's in.. I'm currently taking organic chemistry and physics there. I now have a 2.87 lets hope I get A's in organic chem 1&2 and physics 1&2.. My question is how bad does it look that I'm at a cc instead of a university? I met with adcoms at a school that I will e applying to and explanned my situation and why I'm back at a cc and they said they except cc credits and told me not to worry that they look at the whole picture... Any advice or insight...

Ok so I see a ton of people saying not to take classes at a CC... Here is my story let me know what you guys think... Went to a cc did terrible my first few semesters. Went to another cc to be an RN have a 2.99 GPA there then went to a university for my BSN have 3.6 GPA.. Now I'm back at the first cc I went to for chem 1&2 which I got A's in.. I'm currently taking organic chemistry and physics there. I now have a 2.87 lets hope I get A's in organic chem 1&2 and physics 1&2.. My question is how bad does it look that I'm at a cc instead of a university? I met with adcoms at a school that I will e applying to and explanned my situation and why I'm back at a cc and they said they except cc credits and told me not to worry that they look at the whole picture... Any advice or insight...

Unless you're applying Harvard, don't sweat taking classes at a cc, but also don't get anymore Cs at a cc either

Sub 3 uGPA and 3 MD interview invites so far. Starting to feel like I'm on the home stretch. Best of luck to everyone applying!

Reactions: 3 users
Awesome! goodluck! (could you post stats btw? :D)

Sure!

• Graduated from a highly ranked school in 2013 with a 2.8 and an upward trend (3.1 Junior Year, 3.8 Senior Year)
  • Took 15 or so credits of post bacc courses over the summer with A's in all of them to bring it up to a 2.93
  • Enrolled at an SMP this past year and finished with a 3.8
  • 31 MCAT in 2011, 38 in 2014
  • Solid EC's (Tutoring, EMT, Inner City Mentoring, Free Clinic, lots of research but no publications, currently working as a lab manager). They are all pretty recent though so I don't have a lot of hours.
Let me know if you want to know anything else!

Reactions: 1 users
Sure!

• Graduated from a highly ranked school in 2013 with a 2.8 and an upward trend (3.1 Junior Year, 3.8 Senior Year)
  • Took 15 or so credits of post bacc courses over the summer with A's in all of them to bring it up to a 2.93
  • Solid EC's (Tutoring, EMT, Inner City Mentoring, Free Clinic, lots of research but no publications, currently working as a lab manager). They are all pretty recent though so I don't have a lot of hours.
Wow that's really awesome, congrats and good luck on your interviews!!
Had you applied previously to Med School before doing the SMP? And also, which SMP (if you don't mind) that accepted with sub 3.0? I might need to utilize that in the near future lol (bad track record from age 18-19 hit my GPA hard).
Last thing.. how did you manage to fit all of the EC's into your week/day? Could you maybe give a sample schedule for ONE day? Seems like I barely have time to workout and I'm taking 4 class + 1 lab along with working part-time and doing only 1 clinical volunteer once a week. Bestow your wisdom upon me!

This thread makes me smile a little bit (in retrospect now that I'm a 4th yr medical student); I had always thought about becoming a doctor, but I was sure I could never attain that dream - the thought was that I was not smart enough. Also I'm certain that I probably have an undiagnosed ADHD, that has gotten better with age.

During my first 2 semesters in CC, I attained a 2.5 GPA majoring in pre-engineering and by the time I transferred to a 4yr college, I had managed to bump it up to a 2.67; I finished my engineering degree and in a round about way, enrolled in an Engineering masters program (took some courses, busted my butt to get a 3.8 GPA, and was unconditionally admitted). I finished the Masters program with a 3.5 GPA. Now after working as an Engineer for a number of years, I decided to give medicine a try.

I went back for my post-bac at a CC - attained a 3.9 GPA bringing my AMCAS cGPA to 2.85 (sGPA:3.1) and AACOMAS cGPA ~3.4 & sGPA:3.5; my MCAT was average for accepted applicants to allo schools... so i thought at 31yrs of age, why not give it a shot and just apply. I was always interested in a highly competitive surgical subspecialty, so I thought going the allopathic route was the better option for me. The thought was to apply to allopathic schools the 1st year and if I didn't get accepted, I would apply to probably all osteopathic schools the next year.

I'm URM, so I thought, why not try all HBCU schools and about 40-something other schools -after all, it only takes one bite and I could become a doc. So in total, I applied to about 50 schools - I got 8 interviews (1 HBCU and 7 other schools plasted across the US); my interviews went well for the most part and for the most part, the adcoms just wanted to know why such a poor academic showing during my UG years - I simply told them the truth - I was young and was not a serious student. At an interview (at a school I liked a lot), one of the interviewer hadn't read my application before hand, so when he opened up my file - he did a double take at the file and proceeded to ask how and why I did so poorly. Mind you, this was about 3mins into the interview, after my spiel, he decided that he would just talk to the other interviewer while ignoring me throughout the interview. After the interviewers finished their discussion, they told me I could leave - that was the most demoralizing interview/experience I've had to date. Wasted plane ticket, wasted hotel room cost, wasted rental car and a new suite - just to be laughed at and completely ignored. But, of my 8 interviews, that was the only one that felt awkward - the rest gave me a shot, they didn't have to, but I'm glad they did. In all, I got rejected at every program except one - to my utter disbelief, one bit after-all. I got accepted to an allopathic (MD) program.

Once I started medical school, I felt that I had something to prove; I needed to shake that monkey of my back; and I did. I'm graduating from medical school in the top 10% of my class (both in grades and boards - USMLE step exams). I'm currently applying to that surgical sub-specialty and have interviews already lined up.

The moral of the story is to never give up! With every breadth, you never give up; even when everyone one around you laughs at you for being overly optimistic, listen to your heart and your head and give it your best shot. You just never know what the future holds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
This thread makes me smile a little bit (in retrospect now that I'm a 4th yr medical student); I had always thought about becoming a doctor, but I was sure I could never attain that dream - the thought was that I was not smart enough. Also I'm certain that I probably have an undiagnosed ADHD, that has gotten better with age.

During my first 2 semesters in CC, I attained a 2.5 GPA majoring in pre-engineering and by the time I transferred to a 4yr college, I had managed to bump it up to a 2.67; I finished my engineering degree and in a round about way, enrolled in an Engineering masters program (took some courses, busted my butt to get a 3.8 GPA, and was unconditionally admitted). I finished the Masters program with a 3.5 GPA. Now after working as an Engineer for a number of years, I decided to give medicine a try.

I went back for my post-bac at a CC - attained a 3.9 GPA bringing my AMCAS cGPA to 2.85 (sGPA:3.1) and AACOMAS cGPA ~3.4 & sGPA:3.5; my MCAT was average for accepted applicants to allo schools... so i thought at 31yrs of age, why not give it a shot and just apply. I was always interested in a highly competitive surgical subspecialty, so I thought going the allopathic route was the better option for me. The thought was to apply to allopathic schools the 1st year and if I didn't get accepted, I would apply to probably all osteopathic schools the next year.

I'm URM, so I thought, why not try all HBCU schools and about 40-something other schools -after all, it only takes one bite and I could become a doc. So in total, I applied to about 50 schools - I got 8 interviews (1 HBCU and 7 other schools plasted across the US); my interviews went well for the most part and for the most part, the adcoms just wanted to know why such a poor academic showing during my UG years - I simply told them the truth - I was young and was not a serious student. At an interview (at a school I liked a lot), one of the interviewer hadn't read my application before hand, so when he opened up my file - he did a double take at the file and proceeded to ask how and why I did so poorly. Mind you, this was about 3mins into the interview, after my spiel, he decided that he would just talk to the other interviewer while ignoring me throughout the interview. After the interviewers finished their discussion, they told me I could leave - that was the most demoralizing interview/experience I've had to date. Wasted place ticket, wasted hotel room cost, wasted rental car and a new suite - just to be laughed at. But, of my 8 interviews, that was the only one that felt awkward. In all, I got rejected at every program except one - to my utter disbelief, one bit after-all.

Once I started medical school, I felt that I had something to prove; I needed to shake that monkey of my back; and I did. I'm graduating from medical school in the top 10% of my class (both in grades and boards - USMLE step exams). I'm currently applying to that surgical sub-specialty and have interviews already lined up.

The moral of the story is to never give up! With every breadth, you never give up; even when everyone one around you laughs at you for being overly optimistic, listen to your heart and your head and give it your best shot. You just never know what the future holds.

Truly inspiring story!! Thank you for taking the time to share everything :D
Did you get accepted to a DO or MD program (out of curiosity), and did any of the other schools decide to waitlist you?

Did you get accepted to a DO or MD program (out of curiosity), and did any of the other schools decide to waitlist you?

I was accepted to an MD program (one of the hbcu).

Most schools out right rejected me, and of the 7 other places I interviewed at I was wait listed at like 5 of them and rejected at 2

I'm URM, so I thought, why not try all HBCU schools and about 40-something other schools -after all, it only takes one bite and I could become a doc. So in total, I applied to about 50 schools - I got 8 interviews (1 HBCU and 7 other schools plasted across the US); my interviews went well for the most part and for the most part, the adcoms just wanted to know why such a poor academic showing during my UG years - I simply told them the truth - I was young and was not a serious student. At an interview (at a school I liked a lot), one of the interviewer hadn't read my application before hand, so when he opened up my file - he did a double take at the file and proceeded to ask how and why I did so poorly. Mind you, this was about 3mins into the interview, after my spiel, he decided that he would just talk to the other interviewer while ignoring me throughout the interview. After the interviewers finished their discussion, they told me I could leave - that was the most demoralizing interview/experience I've had to date. Wasted plane ticket, wasted hotel room cost, wasted rental car and a new suite - just to be laughed at and completely ignored. But, of my 8 interviews, that was the only one that felt awkward - the rest gave me a shot, they didn't have to, but I'm glad they did. In all, I got rejected at every program except one - to my utter disbelief, one bit after-all. I got accepted to an allopathic (MD) program.

great story !! very inspiring !! thanks for sharing !! :thumbup::thumbup:

I hope you will someday sit on an ADCOMS to give us the chance that you had again !!

what is allo ?? ;)

Wow that's really awesome, congrats and good luck on your interviews!!
Had you applied previously to Med School before doing the SMP? And also, which SMP (if you don't mind) that accepted with sub 3.0? I might need to utilize that in the near future lol (bad track record from age 18-19 hit my GPA hard).
Last thing.. how did you manage to fit all of the EC's into your week/day? Could you maybe give a sample schedule for ONE day? Seems like I barely have time to workout and I'm taking 4 class + 1 lab along with working part-time and doing only 1 clinical volunteer once a week. Bestow your wisdom upon me!

Pm'd you!

For those on here that have HBO, or a HBO Go password, I HIGHLY recommend you to watch "Baghdad ER".

It is a HBO Documentary filming the US Army's main hospital and ER in Baghdad. Really great watch.

Sure!

Would love to know how you studied for the MCAT and which SMPs you applied and were accepted to. Both GPAs are currently right around the 3.0 mark with a strong upward trend so I'm leaning towards going the SMP route.

Hi all! I'm finally on the pre-med track. Currently signed up for Chem and precalc. I have a full time job (I live in LA - I need to live lol) so that's why the load is sort of light. I'm super excited to begin this journey!! I hopefully have a volunteering gig lined up - just getting my letters of rec in order.

If anyone else is in the LA area let me know! It would be cool to maybe have a study group. :)

cGPA: 2.9ish
sGPA: 2.6ish (only 3 non pre req courses)

Good luck to all!!
Hey I'm also in the LA area and planning to take my pre reqs soon at either mt San antonio college or rio Hondo college

Hi im so glad that there are people with situation like me.

I graduated from suny (stonybrook) june 2014 with health science major, 2.9 gpa.

I didnt take any pre-med courses yet and planning to apply post-bacc pre-med program fall 2015, after

my military training is done which will be between 2015/01 to 2015/08. I joined the army right after i graduated so

I can get some tuition aid as well as getting some clinical experience since I joined as combat medic.

My plan is to take post-bacc premed program and boost up my gpa since I didnt take any pre-req courses, and

work as MA to get more experiences then apply to D.O schools. I've been thinking about becoming PA which will

take shorter time to apply compare to D.O, but decided to just give it a shot.

Hi! I started out with a 2.9 undergrad GPA, and just got accepted into my top choice D.O. school. Brought my cGPA up to 3.2-3.3 with exclusively community college classes (all pre-reqs). I also worked a ton of hours in patient care for like 3.5 years which i think helped a lot. This thread is great and best of luck to you guys!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I started out with a 2.9 undergrad GPA, and just got accepted into my top choice D.O. school. Brought my cGPA up to 3.2-3.3 with exclusively community college classes (all pre-reqs). I also worked a ton of hours in patient care for like 3.5 years which i think helped a lot. This thread is great and best of luck to you guys!!

do D.O schools and podiatric schools accept pre-req courses from community college? I heard they accept only
4yrs college courses.

do D.O schools and podiatric schools accept pre-req courses from community college? I heard they accept only
4yrs college courses.

Yes they do accept CC pre-reqs. Many MD schools do also. Just make sure you do well in them

4yrs college courses.

Can't speak to podiatry schools, but I believe most if not all DO schools accept community college credits. Usually their website (of each school) will specify and say as long as the school is accredited it is fine. If you have a particular school in mind and it doesn't say on their website, definitely email their admissions. I feel like I have done that in the past.

2 years ago I was a senior in college with a 2.67 GPA. Yesterday I was accepted into a ranked MD school. For everyone in this thread who's working through tough times, stick with it! I know how discouraging this process can be, and how easy it is to feel down about yourself when all the odds are stacked against you, but there is no situation that can't be fixed with a few years of hard work.

Would love to know how you studied for the MCAT and which SMPs you applied and were accepted to. Both GPAs are currently right around the 3.0 mark with a strong upward trend so I'm leaning towards going the SMP route.
Will write up a detailed summary of what I did the past few years and send it to you this weekend!

Reactions: 4 users
2 years ago I was a senior in college with a 2.67 GPA. Yesterday I was accepted into a ranked MD school. For everyone in this thread who's working through tough times, stick with it! I know how discouraging this process can be, and how easy it is to feel down about yourself when all the odds are stacked against you, but there is no situation that can't be fixed with a few years of hard work.

Will write up a detailed summary of what I did the past few years and send it to you this weekend!
Definitely encouraging to hear.

Same story except I started with a 2.7. The anti-community college thing for DO schools is a myth.

4yrs college courses.
Yes, should be fine at all of them, but some (like DMU) strongly encourage 4 year. I don't know about all podiatric colleges, but WesternU does accept community college.

Hi guys! I started undergrad in 2009 had some bad grades lost financial aid and was told after completing summer session I would have to pay out of pocket. At that point I left school to work earn money to pay for my classes. Long story short I just finished paying them off this spring. I took classes at community college but didn't go to class. I deluded myself into thinking my cc grades did not count. I have been admitted for spring semester on a wing and a prayer at my local 4yr uni, my gpa from my first school was a 2.24. My f's from cc brought it to below a 2.0 so I had to be admitted as a continuing ed student. After transferring my credits I only have 59 of 64 credits of which are from a different school in the same state school system but whatever.
My question is if I just finish my degree-psych 61 credits left, then do pre-reqs post bacc would that be enough with upward trend in gpa?
I would prefer to not do a smp but instead do an accelerated bsn program then finish my pre-reqs and apply after working for a year or so.
I say that because I currently work for a local hospital system (mental health tech) and know for a fact that if I needed to work during med school as a nurse I could do prn with maybe 8 hours mandatory and pick up shifts if I want.
What do you guys suggest?

Hi guys! I started undergrad in 2009 had some bad grades lost financial aid and was told after completing summer session I would have to pay out of pocket. At that point I left school to work earn money to pay for my classes. Long story short I just finished paying them off this spring. I took classes at community college but didn't go to class. I deluded myself into thinking my cc grades did not count. I have been admitted for spring semester on a wing and a prayer at my local 4yr uni, my gpa from my first school was a 2.24. My f's from cc brought it to below a 2.0 so I had to be admitted as a continuing ed student. After transferring my credits I only have 59 of 64 credits of which are from a different school in the same state school system but whatever.
My question is if I just finish my degree-psych 61 credits left, then do pre-reqs post bacc would that be enough with upward trend in gpa?
I would prefer to not do a smp but instead do an accelerated bsn program then finish my pre-reqs and apply after working for a year or so.
I say that because I currently work for a local hospital system (mental health tech) and know for a fact that if I needed to work during med school as a nurse I could do prn with maybe 8 hours mandatory and pick up shifts if I want.
Work during Med School sounds like a horrible idea... You'll get some better advice than I can ever offer regarding the next step though (Post-Bacc, 2nd Degree, etc.) If you haven't already look through the threads using the search button or google for people who were in a similar position as you. You'll find tons of already well written advice on the matter, and hopefully enough to dissuade you from this long tedious process. If not keep on trekkin and join the club! Just remember it's all A's from here on out...;)

Double Post by Accident.. Mod please delete? :confused:

Getting stressed studying for the MCAT- Just calculated my AAMC average and it's a 25 :(
I'm going to try and stay positive (test day is this Saturday)...this is my only shot for this test since I used up all my vacation time to study and have done everything I can to prepare. I had a high score of 29 so maybe it's possible that I can score around there.

Getting stressed studying for the MCAT- Just calculated my AAMC average and it's a 25 :(
I'm going to try and stay positive (test day is this Saturday)...this is my only shot for this test since I used up all my vacation time to study and have done everything I can to prepare. I had a high score of 29 so maybe it's possible that I can score around there.

Best of luck!