Below Average Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

spartawdw

My apologies if there's one already started. I saw a thread from last cycle for people with low LizzyM's (>70) and it was full of positivity and support!

If you have a below average GPA, MCAT, or both

LizzyM 68, applied to 21 schools

Members don't see this ad.

I never used LizzyM when I applied but I'm pretty sure I would've been below average. Got into one school and never looked back :claps:

Reactions: 3 users
LizzyM scores are by no means the end-all be-all. After I was accepted into a U.S. MD school I came back to SDN and put in my stats on LizzyM... it pretty much spouted off a list of international medical schools to the tune of Calypso music. I just had to laugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 users
I'm an underdog, nontrad.

AMCAS cGPA 3.11 sGPA 3.63
All of my work from the past 10 years, cGPA3.77... approx 120 credits.
MCAT 503

Waitlisted at 1 school last year.

Are you looking for support that is below average?

I'm an underdog, nontrad.

AMCAS cGPA 3.11 sGPA 3.63
All of my work from the past 10 years, cGPA3.77... approx 120 credits.
MCAT 503

Waitlisted at 1 school last year.

Wow you did a massive amount of work bringing that cGPA up..
I think if you retook the MCAT and hit a ~508 you would have a good shot.

Reactions: 1 user
3.49 cGPA
~3.4 sGPA
512:128/124/129/131 MCAT

LizzyM 67
California resident

Working on bringing the cGPA and sGPA up to a 3.6 by taking upper division science classes (applying next cycle).

Last edited:
Wow you did a massive amount of work bringing that cGPA up..
I think if you retook the MCAT and hit a ~508 you would have a good shot.

Thank you. I know I should retake, but goodness do I not want to do that again. On that note, I feel like I know my test preparation gaps.

I just want to say good luck to all of you, my numbers were very average and it can sometimes feel like the whole system is against you and everyone has exorbitantly high GPAs and MCAT scores, especially on this website. I'm rooting for all of you and hope you come out on the other side as medical students!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I know I should retake, but goodness do I not want to do that again. On that note, I feel like I know my test preparation gaps.

Did you apply both MD and DO?

Jumping from 503 to 508 should be doable, make sure you do at least 7 practice FLs.

Did you apply both MD and DO?

Jumping from 503 to 508 should be doable, make sure you do at least 7 practice FLs.

Last year I only applied MD. Wish I had applied DO as well. Live and learn, I guess.

Last year I only applied MD. Wish I had applied DO as well. Live and learn, I guess.

I know people with 3.7 cGPAs and 35 MCATs who still didn't get accepted anywhere after sending 30 MD apps lol.

I know people with 3.7 cGPAs and 35 MCATs who still didn't get accepted anywhere after sending 30 MD apps lol.

This process can be unpredictable, that's for sure. I don't feel bad about last cycle. I feel like I learned a bunch from it.

LizzyM 67-68, 508 MCAT with 125s in B/B and C/P--was accepted off 2 WLs around traffic day. Good luck, guys!!!

LizzyM 58- 500 MCAT, 3.3 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA. Waiting on updated MCAT scores. Finished a combined Masters program in August with a 3.8. I'm also URM/nontraditional.

I was waitlisted at a DO program last year with LizzyM 58, so really hoping I can get in somewhere.

Last edited:
LizzyM 67 on gap year 1 of 2 after not getting in this past cycle. AMA I'm very familiar with what not to do

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

LizzyM 64.7. 4 MD II so far. 0 Rejections (I think they are all about to come rollin in here soon). GL everyone :)

Hi! Just want to offer some support here. I was a 3 time MCAT taker (ughhhhh) and my last MCAT is what people would call at the borderline of acceptable. The rest of my stuff was above average, but the MCAT really made me nervous for my application cycle (that was a couple of years ago on the old MCAT grading scale). I was fortunate enough to end up with a great application cycle. So it is doable! You can do it (if you put an app together and apply strategically)!

Average applicants have a GPA of 3.55 and an MCAT of 28.3 bringing the LizzyM of the average applicant to 63.8.

The average Matriculant has a GPA of 3.70 and an MCAT of 31.4 bringing their LizzyM to 68.4.That means that a good portion of matriculants have less than a 70 on the lizzyM.

I would define :

Underdog LizzyM <63.8.

Hopeful LizzyM 63.8<between <68.4

Increasing likely to Matriculate LizzyM >68.4

Caveat 1: It is state dependent.

39.25% of the applicants that apply(52,550) matriculate (20,631). YMMV, because in all likelihood this is very state dependent. There are a number of public schools where the average matriculant has an MCAT =~28. Heck, University of Michigan has an average Lizzy M of 71-72 for instate residents, that means by definition half of the class has a LizzyM less then 71!

Caveat 2:Having a productive school list matters.
Applying to schools that screen or have averages for classes that are widely different than your own may lead to heartbreak.

Caveat 3. Not all GPAs are made alike, certain schools assign a higher value to top 20 institutions.

Caveat 4: Red flags like criminal history and IA and Green Flags like URM/Veteran states means all bets are off.

Caveat 5: Analysis only applies to MD schools.

Caveat 6. Timing Matters
Applying may help, but it may just be that people who apply early also have LizzyMs in the 70s.

Most of you fall in the hopeful and likely to matriculate category!

Hi guys, this is my first post on SDN so please forgive me if I am posting this on the wrong area, I just need some advising.
I'm currently a traditional undergrad junior at a small private Northeastern college with a growingly competitive science program. I'm currently at a 3.1 cGPA with a 2.7 sGPA (I know, it's awful). I am currently taking two 400- level biology classes with labs and organic chemistry. Let me just say, orgo is killing me. No matter how many hours I put into studying, the review sessions I attend, and the office hours I schedule, I cannot seem to do well. In fact, my grades are complete trash. I studied for DAYS for my last exam, and I just saw online that my grade was a 58. A 58. I have never done so poorly in my life. What kills me the most is that I put so much effort into that class yet I still did worse than people who didn't study at all. I feel guilty for my parents paying a 20k tuition while my grades are laughable. I just got an email from my orgo professor to make a meeting with her to talk about withdrawal. I have never been in this situation before and I don't know what to do. I want to go to medical school, but I know a W on my transcript is irreversible. I currently have a D in the course, with about 44% of the grades in so far. What should I do? Please help. I do not want to withdraw, but is it possible to get a B-/B at this point?

Hi guys, this is my first post on SDN so please forgive me if I am posting this on the wrong area, I just need some advising.
I'm currently a traditional undergrad junior at a small private Northeastern college with a growingly competitive science program. I'm currently at a 3.1 cGPA with a 2.7 sGPA (I know, it's awful). I am currently taking two 400- level biology classes with labs and organic chemistry. Let me just say, orgo is killing me. No matter how many hours I put into studying, the review sessions I attend, and the office hours I schedule, I cannot seem to do well. In fact, my grades are complete trash. I studied for DAYS for my last exam, and I just saw online that my grade was a 58. A 58. I have never done so poorly in my life. What kills me the most is that I put so much effort into that class yet I still did worse than people who didn't study at all. I feel guilty for my parents paying a 20k tuition while my grades are laughable. I just got an email from my orgo professor to make a meeting with her to talk about withdrawal. I have never been in this situation before and I don't know what to do. I want to go to medical school, but I know a W on my transcript is irreversible. I currently have a D in the course, with about 44% of the grades in so far. What should I do? Please help. I do not want to withdraw, but is it possible to get a B-/B at this point?

You should really talk to your orgo professor about the withdraw. A W won’t kill you but a D could very well decrease all likelihood of getting into med school. You need to reevaluate how you spend your time — you may be taking too many upper-level classes that you cant handle and at this point, taking a D in your orgo class will sink your GPA further.

I say take the W and take orgo next semester when you’re ready.

want to go to medical school, but I know a W on my transcript is irreversible.

A W is not what will keep you out of medical school, unfortunately your 2.7 will. You need to re-asses where you are and what you would have to do to become competitive, because unfortunately you are precipitously close to the point of no return and unless you turn things around in a big way medical school will become not be a viable option.

Take the W, and evaluate. You really need to be acing things from now on. No more B-/B type grades, because for you to make yourself competitive you need lots of straight As.