Best COMLEX/USMLE Review Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tej

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you guys consider the best review books to study before the first year of med school?
It's been more than a year since I've been in school and I just wanted to start reading some of the material. I heard that it would be good to have a strong foundation in biochemistry and anatomy.

Members don't see this ad.

I would agree with that advice...get a good base in Biochem and anatomy. Talk to the admissions counsilor at the school you are planning to attend, or to other students if possible, and see what seems to be the classes that students have the most trouble with there...get a jump on that subject.

I am going to be starting in Des Moines next fall, and was also wondering about material that may be helpful. If anyone at Des Moines now could list a few of the books they are currently using that would be a big help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
TEJ,

IT SEEMS LIKE JUST A YEAR AGO I WAS ASKING THE SAME QUESTION. HERE A DMU-OMC MOST COURSES HAVE COURSE PACKETS THAT ACCOMPANY THE LECTURES. BOOKS ARE ANCILLARY. I DID FIND LIPPENCOT TO BE VERY GOOD FOR BIOCHEMISTRY. I PERSONNALLY FOUND THE COURSE PACKETS MORE THAN SUFFICIENT AND IN FACT ENJOYED THE CLASS BUT THE INSIDE TIP IS THAT THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST FOR BOARD REVIEW SO I DID USE IT ALONG WITH MY BIOCHEM NOTES. MOST FIND HISTOLOGY TO BE A BACK BREAKER AROUND HERE SINCE IT IS MORE OR LESS SELF DIRECTED STUDY. I WOULD DEFINITELY BONE UP ON HISTOLY. THE GARTNER TEXT IS USED WITH THE WHEATER'S ATLAS BY MOST AMD THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDAY CD ROM FOR HISTO AS WELL AS THE ONE FOR ANATOMY ARE EXCELLENT CHOICES THAT I FOUND VERY HELPFUL.

FINALLY THOUGH, REALIZE THAT HERE WE DO ALL THE BASIC SCIENCES THE FIRST YEAR IN PREPARATION FOR THE SYTEMS APPROACH WE HAVE THE SECOND YEAR. THIS FIRST YEAR IS VERY FAST AND VERY FURIOUS. I THINK I WOULD ENJOY MY PERSONAL LIFE BECAUSE THAT WILL DISSAPEAR PRETTY QUICK. WHEN YOU EXIT THE START GATES HERE IN THE FALL YOU MAY VERY WELL WISH, PRAY YOU HAD TIME TO ENJOY SOMETHING OTHER THAN GROSS LABS, OMM, AND THE INSIDE PAGES TO COURSE PACKETS AND TEXTS. AT ANY RATE I WISH YOU GODS SPEED AND FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME WITH SPECIFICS. I MAY EVEN BE ABLE TO HELP YOU AQUIRE SOME COURSE PACKETS FROM THE BOOK STORE.

Thank You everybody
smile.gif

------------------
Tejash
UHS/COM Class of XXXX