Better to do prereqs in 2 or 3 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoGetEm29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello. So I was in your shoes a couple of years ago. The answer really depends on your abilities, how much time you actually have (ie, do you work?), and what the requisites in your college look like. For example, mine allowed me to take Chem 2 with OChem 1, while other colleges require that you take Chem 2 before OChem 1. I was also allowed to take Biochem with OChem 2, which I am very happy about.

The fastest timeline I can come up with for you is about 1.5 year before MCAT, but that's really pushing it for no real gain in time since you still won't be able to apply. Two years sound reasonable, if you've taken all your pre-pre-requisites (Algebra/Trig for Physics come to mind). Three years seem quite leisurely, but very reasonable if you're working or know you can't handle 2-3 science classes per semester. The best timeline is always whatever will get you the most As. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
3 years is better for the gpa but you do want to at least some of the time take 8 or 10 credit hours a term and make As, just to show you can do more than one class at a time. Consider getting a job as a scribe so you come across as working while in school.

Trying to cram it all in during 2yrs and study for the MCAT just isn't the best schedule, as some labs can take hours of work outside of class.

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be more concerned with taking all your pre-reqs at a CC rather than the time frame you take them in. While many schools accept CC credits, they may be turned off by an applicant with ALL of their course work from there. While I understand it my be the more economically feasible plan, it may lead to disappointment down the road. I would contact your top choice programs - most likely your In-State program and ask what their policies are. I would also look into any DO programs in your state.

Reactions: 1 users
You might want to check and make sure biochem is offered. Many CC's don't offer it or only 1X/yr or ever other year if at all.

Cyril is very right about checking as quite a few MD programs (especially those in FL) specifically frown on cc sciences, some even say so on their websites. Most if not all DO programs are good with cc as long as you do well on the MCAT and aren't trying to fix a previous terrible science performance at a university by going cc. A's in cc and then a weak MCAT can suggest your classes weren't as rigorous, so don't expect A's in cc classes to offset a weak mcat.

Reactions: 1 user