Black premeds/doctors around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just wanted to point out (before this thread's inevitable closure) that over the course of your careers, you guys will find that you are able to make a very real, positive impact out there. I see it when my residents tell me that I'm the first Black person they've ever had in a position of authority over them. I see it when my patients say I'm the first doctor they've had who looks like them. I've seen it when I absolutely blow those patients' minds and tell them I grew up in the same (ghetto) area they did and went to the same schools. When they realize that someone CAN make it out and they're seeing the result. I've seen it in the look on my White patients' faces when I stroll in and the resident or nurse tells them that I'm "the boss" or "the chief" or "the doctor calling the shots tonight."

That happens every day. It will eventually happen to you (maybe not to the same extent). All that probably helps me not feel the need to respond to all the ignorance that is abundant on these forums. Waste of time and energy that could be better spent making an impact in real life.

This is EVERYTHING! Thank you for sharing this!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Is anyone working on any projects this semester?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview on Monday, so I am heading to Chicago Sunday morning :(
Will celebrate afterwards ;)
Good luck. Also that pokemon needs to evolve after the acceptance

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
People I am back, by popular demand :D
I just wanted to say that line

I got accepted to SUNY Upstate!

This makes me so happy! <3 Congrats!!! Time to update that signature Acceptance: 1 !!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
People I am back, by popular demand :D
I just wanted to say that line

I got accepted to SUNY Upstate!

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS GIRL!!!!! Good luck! I've been waiting for that signature update :D

Is it bad that I want to quit my job after one week? I am very unhappy already. Tomorrow I have another interview as a Prep Cook and sheesh I am actually somewhat excited. I'm trying to work so I can pay off my tuition bill. But this job I currently have has to go out of my life immediately. I am so unhappy that I don't even feel like giving my all today(well technically tomorrow cause I work overnight) while doing my work. I don't want to be a quitter, but I have to find my niche someone. Me quitting this job is a lesson learned: Don't settle for less,because the pay is low for overnight crew plus the hard work we put in, this job is not rewarding at all because when I go home I have nothing to talk about but how much I already hate that job. I just hope medicine is right for me, cause I never want to quit that.

Is it bad that I want to quit my job after one week? I am very unhappy already. Tomorrow I have another interview as a Prep Cook and sheesh I am actually somewhat excited. I'm trying to work so I can pay off my tuition bill. But this job I currently have has to go out of my life immediately. I am so unhappy that I don't even feel like giving my all today(well technically tomorrow cause I work overnight) while doing my work. I don't want to be a quitter, but I have to find my niche someone. Me quitting this job is a lesson learned: Don't settle for less,because the pay is low for overnight crew plus the hard work we put in, this job is not rewarding at all because when I go home I have nothing to talk about but how much I already hate that job. I just hope medicine is right for me, cause I never want to quit that.

I love your spirit. If the job is taking away from your studies AND making you unhappy, maybe it's not such a bad idea to quit it. Perhaps see if the prep cook job works out first.

I think I'm going to register for the September MCAT. Wow, I can't believe I'm actually doing this. I put off pre-med for two years after graduating undergrad and now I'm back on the grind! It feels so amazing. I always have to keep myself from tearing up when I think about it; ever since I first stepped foot onto college, life has been an emotional roller coaster: culture shocks, identity crises, learning to become my own person, etc. But I'm here today finishing up my pre-med prerequisites and just a few short months from starting to study for the MCAT. I am incredibly humbled by the opportunity. Not so long ago, just taking the MCAT felt like a pipe dream.

I can't believe that I'm excited about studying for the MCAT. Of course, I'm also apprehensive and nervous at times, but the feeling of excitement is ever so constant. Taking the MCAT is one less major barrier between my dreams and me after being stuck in the purgatorish arena that was (and sometimes still is) my premed experience.

Reactions: 5 users
Sheesh I have another interview...I'm loving this good stress. I am so confident I'll get one of them lol.

Now I'm stuck with Cook Prep because I called the other job back and they said they needed someone with more experience. I've been waiting for an hour for someone to come out an interview me but I have no choice but to wait. Help!!!!

I think I'm going to register for the September MCAT. Wow, I can't believe I'm actually doing this. I put off pre-med for two years after graduating undergrad and now I'm back on the grind! It feels so amazing. I always have to keep myself from tearing up when I think about it; ever since I first stepped foot onto college, life has been an emotional roller coaster: culture shocks, identity crises, learning to become my own person, etc. But I'm here today finishing up my pre-med prerequisites and just a few short months from starting to study for the MCAT. I am incredibly humbled by the opportunity. Not so long ago, just taking the MCAT felt like a pipe dream.

I can't believe that I'm excited about studying for the MCAT. Of course, I'm also apprehensive and nervous at times, but the feeling of excitement is ever so constant. Taking the MCAT is one less major barrier between my dreams and me after being stuck in the purgatorish arena that was (and sometimes still is) my premed experience.
I never thought I could be proud of a random person I've never met, but I am proud of you :) stay on your grind

In other news, there's an anti-beyonce protest tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
In other news, there's an anti-beyonce protest tomorrow.

I'm so weak at this! I expect a KKK protest next week from them. It's only fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished my Loyola interview.
I am so tired, lol
I won't hit my city until 11:30 pm tonight and I have work at night. Jesus be an adderal.
*note: I don't condone drugs and people taking an enhancement drug for any sole purposes, unless it is for medical reasons. It was just a joke ;)

@AlphaBeta<3 I'm very much a fan of your selection of profile pictures! :)

In other news, I think I finally know what I'm doing for the summer! Now I get to focus on other things, like maybe trying not to fail orgo 2, or any of my other classes, for that matter.

@AlphaBeta<3 I'm very much a fan of your selection of profile pictures! :)

In other news, I think I finally know what I'm doing for the summer! Now I get to focus on other things, like maybe trying not to fail orgo 2, or any of my other classes, for that matter.
Thank you! I'm glad somebody appreciates them lmao

Was this the Obama middle finger one? SDN can be so trife sometimes.
Something about "white people tears."

Idk, didn't bother me. People need to lighten up a little IMO.

Reactions: 2 users
Random question: Who's the better rapper, Kendrick or J. Cole?!

You've got this! One piece of unsolicited advice: positive affirmations are your best friend!!!!!!!

Finished my Loyola interview.
I am so tired, lol
I won't hit my city until 11:30 pm tonight and I have work at night. Jesus be an adderal.
*note: I don't condone drugs and people taking an enhancement drug for any sole purposes, unless it is for medical reasons. It was just a joke ;)

Haha, I read it as Jesus, be my adderall.

Actually, that's pretty cool. Can we make that a thing? I've always wanted to make something a thing!

Reactions: 3 users
I like Kendrick better but I also really liked J. Cole's last album. But there's that line from Control: "Who's the best MC? Kendrick Jigga or Nas?". Nas. It's Nas.
Haha the original line is actually from Jay-Z's "Where I'm From" and it's Biggie, Jay-Z, or Nas

Is he that good? I don't listen to new rap.

I don't know about GOAT or "best in the west" or anything like that but Good Kid Maad City is tied for my favorite rap album ever (with Nas' Illmatic). To Pimp a Butterfly was better as a whole complete work than individually song for song but it was still good.

To Pimp a Butterfly should have won album of the year, in my oh-so-humble and self-important opinion.

Reactions: 3 users
Random question: Who's the better rapper, Kendrick or J. Cole?!

I think it's a moot point to ever compare the two. They both f**k it up on the mic, why even compare the two?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hit me up when you guys start listening to Chronixx .. Reggae~