Black premeds/doctors around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just knew this thread was about to go left... here it goes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
First of all, everyone ignore that veiled shot at our people.

And it was the same thing when I was accepted to an ivy, people told me I was only accepted because I was black. As though all I had to do was send in my picture lol

It's one of the plights of our people. Look at this article below from a prominent singer, Sam Smith, who resides in England. This is absolutely baffling.

Edit: Here's a link that explains what happened: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...esplaining-racism_us_569fa86de4b0a7026bf9b51b

Last edited:
Trolls feed off of attention and crap nonsense. Please don't keep giving them life. They can't survive independently.

Positivity is like there kryptonite so let's keep that coming.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's all good guys, sometimes people just can't handle black excellence. Just keep killing it and eventually the haters will fall in line. And if they don't, then they're the ones we should be feeling bad for.

Reactions: 14 users
Lol haters gonna hate. In other news, anyone going to The American Medical Education Conference this year?

Reactions: 1 user
I watch Match Day and White Coat ceremony videos daily.

Oh and if you're in CC, please watch this video. He's good to look at also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone help me, I am trying to write my personal statement without trying to sounding too much like a poor black kid from a 3rd world country. My best friend reads it and says I need to tone it down, even though much of the things I write are real , she says its fluff and doesn't go to the heart of why I want to be a doctor. Any advice or things that help any of you writing this would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at it. On my way out for an interview so it may be few days before I get back to you. @Chelsea FC

Can someone help me, I am trying to write my personal statement without trying to sounding too much like a poor black kid from a 3rd world country. My best friend reads it and says I need to tone it down, even though much of the things I write are real , she says its fluff and doesn't go to the heart of why I want to be a doctor. Any advice or things that help any of you writing this would be greatly appreciated.
This is so me, I do not want to constantly put I'm poor and black into my personal statement.

It could be a sinple mistake when people confuse medical school for a nursing program. But there could be a deeper reason..
Some people may not necessarily think medical school is for nursing, but when they see an indivual that they're not used to seeing pursuing a medical program (i.e. a minority, female, immigrant, etc), they assume it has to be nursing. Which is quite disappointing.

yea, I was just being facetious in my first response.

You definitely should talk about your struggles but don't just throw them out there without a purpose (that is when things look like fluff)...you should also follow up with how those experiences changed you and will help you be a better physician...I was accepted this cycle and had the same thoughts when I was writing my PS...Make everything purposeful...

If you send it to me in a private msg I'll look over it

That's a shame. It's also an inevitable consequence of affirmative action. So, it shouldn't be surprising...
You're right, affirmative action is VERY helpful...were I a WHITE female

"According to one study, in 1995, 6 million women, the majority of whom were white, had jobs they wouldn’t have otherwise held but for affirmative action."
"Even in the private sector, the advancements of white women eclipse those of people of color. AfterIBM established its own affirmative-action program, the numbers of women in management positions more than tripled in less than 10 years. Data from subsequent years show that the number of executives of color at IBM also grew, but not nearly at the same rate."

http://ideas.time.com/2013/06/17/affirmative-action-has-helped-white-women-more-than-anyone/

Damn those pesky facts, getting in the way of your bigotry

"According to one study, in 1995, 6 million women, the majority of whom were white, had jobs they wouldn’t have otherwise held but for affirmative action."
"Even in the private sector, the advancements of white women eclipse those of people of color. AfterIBM established its own affirmative-action program, the numbers of women in management positions more than tripled in less than 10 years. Data from subsequent years show that the number of executives of color at IBM also grew, but not nearly at the same rate."

http://ideas.time.com/2013/06/17/affirmative-action-has-helped-white-women-more-than-anyone/

I strongly suggest you do yourself (and others in the thread) a favor and just let it go. It was pretty inappropriate for him to bring up affirmative action in this thread

Reactions: 1 users

Dont feed the troll please. I say that because I recognize the people who pop up on the weekly anti-URM

Last edited:

A) Don't post studies over 2 decades old to prove your point...

B) I never said White females don't benefit from affirmative action, and they, too, have to confront the same issues your facing for exactly the same reasons.

Also, to clarify your point, let's set one thing straight. White women have "benefited more" from AA because more White women have been affected by the policy than Black women. This is hardly surprising since there are many more Whites than Blacks. However, on an individual level, the average Black benefits much more from AA than the average White woman.

C) Just because White women benefit from AA doesn't mean you don't.

D) I'm not a bigot, I'm simply stating facts...

I'm not here to start a fight, I just want you guys to realize that it's silly to expect equal treatment while not being treated equally. Until affirmative action goes away there will always be doubt as to whether the beneficiaries of the policy are as competent and deserving as those that didn't receive any benefits. You can expect to be treated equal, or expect to be given bonus points, but you simply cannot have both simultaneously.

I strongly suggest you do yourself (and others in the thread) a favor and just let it go. It was pretty inappropriate for him to bring up affirmative action in this thread
It wasn't inappropriate. Someone was complaining and said that "people told me I was only accepted because I was black." This remark probably wasn't made merely because they were black, but because of the benefits blacks obtain from affirmative action. As the initial poster probably thought this statement was racist, I'm offering an alternative logical explanation that comes to a different conclusion and is probably more correct.

It wasn't inappropriate. Someone was complaining and said that "people told me I was only accepted because I was black." This remark probably wasn't made merely because they were black, but because of the benefits blacks obtain from affirmative action. As the initial poster probably thought this statement was racist, I'm offering an alternative logical explanation that comes to a different conclusion and is probably more correct.
Why derail such a positive thread into SPF territory? Black students have very little in the way of support groups on SDN as is. There are literally a dozen other threads that would be infinitely more appropriate for this discussion.

Reactions: 10 users
Just dont respond . This thread isnt about that, please take this convo to the 100000000x Anti- URM threads out there.. Come on guys be smarter than this
x126-10496-bill-is-on-the-internet-bill-sees-something-that-offends-him-bill-moves-on.png.pagespeed.ic.UWg2Dt1sSq.png

Reactions: 7 users
Back on topic, African-American and Haitian female nontrad here. What do I do? ER Scribe and EMT for cash, volunteering and shadowing and stuff too. Taking the slow crawl through math and behavioral science courses at the brand spanking new (and awesome) Malcolm X community college in Chiraq in the hopes of getting into a 1 year post-bacc with a linkage (shooting for a top one - Goucher, Scripps, Bryn Mawr) to take the sciences.

In answer to the nursing question - I really can't bite my tongue. God help the person who dares to call me that. I don't let things slide.

No parents or siblings or doctors in my family, it's me, myself, and I.

And don't feed the trolls. It's common knowledge everyone wants to be us or derail us because they have nothing better to do than demonstrate their ignorance in full effect. Black people gathering, can't have that now! Not even on the internets! Haters gonna hate.

#BlackPreMedsMatter Keep on keeping on y'all!

1360009203884112_animate.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Back on topic, African-American and Haitian female nontrad here. What do I do? ER Scribe and EMT for cash, volunteering and shadowing and stuff too. Taking the slow crawl through math and behavioral science courses at the brand spanking new (and awesome) Malcolm X community college in Chiraq in the hopes of getting into a 1 year post-bacc with a linkage (shooting for a top one - Goucher, Scripps, Bryn Mawr) to take the sciences.

In answer to the nursing question - I really can't bite my tongue. God help the person who dares ever call me that.

No parents or siblings or doctors in my family, it's me, myself, and I.

Also - just curious - what languages do you guys speak?

And don't feed the trolls. It's common knowledge everyone wants to be us or derail us because they have nothing better us to do than demonstrate their ignorance in full effect. Black people gathering, can't have that now! Not even on the internets! Haters gonna hate.

#BlackPreMedsMatter Keep on keeping on y'all!

1360009203884112_animate.gif

I tried to read this, I really did. I just ended up looking at Tyra for about 5 minutes.

Reactions: 6 users
I tried to read this, I really did. I just ended up looking at Tyra for about 5 minutes.
She is quite stunning, and she hasn't aged a bit in ten years

Reactions: 5 users
I wonder if Med school considers patois as a language lol

Reactions: 4 users
Any natural-hair premeds here? I have an interview next week and not quite sure how to wear my hair (wore a weave to my last interview). I have natural shoulder-length hair and don't want to come off unprofessional. Any ideas?

Any natural-hair premeds here? I have an interview next week and not quite sure how to wear my hair (wore a weave to my last interview). I have natural shoulder-length hair and don't want to come off unprofessional. Any ideas?
I gotchu

I wear weave 99% of the time, but in that 1%- my natural hair is basically the same as this lady's. Number 1 and 2 are my favorite styles. Number 2 especially.

I was gonna comment around page 2 or 3 and praise the fact that we hadn't yet seen any drama but I didn't wanna jinx us. At least we got to like 4 full pages without any passive aggressivity....lol

All my female friends just played it safe and wore weave. They didn't want to come off as "radical" or "ethnocentric". So if you are going to go the natural hair route, I would veer over towards the safe side and definitely try a slick bun or something where your hair is not all out. Not sure if wearing a twist-out is the most beneficial thing to do.

My friends pretty much went along with the idea "conform till the acceptance letter". At your white coat ceremony you can wear your hair however you want.

When I first started my statement, I had this problem too. In the end, the bulk of my statement focused on my college and post-college activities. I talked about the activities that best demonstrated my interest in medicine (my research and volunteer work). In a few sentences, I explained how my impoverished background would lay the groundwork for my eventual interest in medicine and how it influenced my choice of extracurricular activities. I focused less on portraying how poor I was (there's a disadvantaged section on AMCAS for that), and focused more on how my background gave me the character traits needed to thrive in medical school and become a great doctor.

Check out the book Essays That Will Get You into Medical School. Definitely a good resource with great examples if you're still struggling with direction. It's less than 10 bucks and it helped me a lot!

All my female friends just played it safe and wore weave. They didn't want to come off as "radical" or "ethnocentric". So if you are going to go the natural hair route, I would veer over towards the safe side and definitely try a slick bun or something where your hair is not all out. Not sure if wearing a twist-out is the most beneficial thing to do.

My friends pretty much went along with the idea "conform till the acceptance letter". At your white coat ceremony you can wear your hair however you want.

Some may disagree, but this is basically what I live by. I believe that the ability to code switch is essential in certain situations. :shrug:

Unfortunately, it doesn't end in medschool

I refuse to wear weave to make an interviewer feel comfortable. If a bun isn't good enough for them, but it's fine for their white/asian/Indian/etc applicants, then I'm not interested in that school.
In high school I did a big chop, and I had to interview at one of the top 10 undergrad schools. My hair was only about 4 inches long at the time, and I wore a twist out because I couldn't get it in a bun, and it's probably worse to go with braids/twists. So I wore a twist out. But the way I saw it, I had a perm since I was 5. I had long, straight hair, but I was tired of conforming and having white America's beauty standards. I also wrote my college essay about my BC and adcoms seemed to really like it.

Reactions: 6 users
I refuse to wear weave to make an interviewer feel comfortable. If a bun isn't good enough for them, but it's fine for their white/asian/Indian/etc applicants, then I'm not interested in that school.
In high school I did a big chop, and I had to interview at one of the top 10 undergrad schools. My hair was only about 4 inches long at the time, and I wore a twist out because I couldn't get it in a bun, and it's probably worse to go with braids/twists. So I wore a twist out. But the way I saw it, I had a perm since I was 5. I had long, straight hair, but I was tired of conforming and having white America's beauty standards. I also wrote my college essay about my BC and adcoms seemed to really like it.

Hey to each their own. I am not saying that I don't find anything wrong with the situation. I just know as someone who has experienced alot that when you are not in any shape or form in a position of power, there unfortunately has to be some sort of sacrifice. Since this is not a moral issue (well in my opinion) then I personally just rather be on the safe side.

And yes unfortunately wearing braids/twists/faux locs is probably screaming to some people as "radical" or too different. So I would humbly suggest a slicked down bun. You have to remember that essentially no medical schools really needs you as opposed to interested in having you as a member of their program. So all this "I refuse to conform to the 'Man's' standards" kinda goes out the window at times:shrug:

It's disappointing that the whole natural hair thing is a concern to begin with. I'm a not so busy student and I can't imagine finding the time to give a **** about the way a person does their hair. Sure, in professional settings hair has to be kempt and I understand the preoccupation with patients being wary of a certain tattoo or non-natural hair color but wow what kind of adcom would care about such a little thing.

Some may disagree, but this is basically what I live by. I believe that the ability to code switch is essential in certain situations. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure we all at times had to somehow in some shape or form conform for the sake of garnering desired results. Especially in a field that has an overwhelmingly small pool of black people entering field and also taking on positions of leadership. Of which I don't blame them. I just want to help people and take care of my family.

Unfortunately, it doesn't end in medschool

Sigh tis' quite true. My uncle told my cousin when we were leaving his school after his white coat ceremony that no coat or achievement will ever change the color of your skin.

I know, but it's upsetting. Personally I'm not going to wear weave, and I think the bun thing is a safe alternative