Black premeds/doctors around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm pretty sure we all at times had to somehow in some shape or form conform for the sake of garnering desired results. Especially in a field that has an overwhelmingly small pool of black people entering field and also taking on positions of leadership. Of which I don't blame them. I just want to help people and take care of my family.

Sigh tis' quite true. My uncle told my cousin when we were leaving his school after his white coat ceremony that no coat or achievement will ever change the color of your skin.

Thanks for ruining my BUZZ uncle BUZZ kill. lol Seriously though even though I know where he is coming from I think this is the wrong way to approach things. I know what he means he is trying to say no matter what he does he will always be seem as a black doctor . But im sick of looking at life this way, my outlook is that they going to be surprised as hell how much you going to achieve when they underestimate you. Or im changing the stereotypes one person at a time.

Members don't see this ad.

Any natural-hair premeds here? I have an interview next week and not quite sure how to wear my hair (wore a weave to my last interview). I have natural shoulder-length hair and don't want to come off unprofessional. Any ideas?

I wore my natural Afro to one interview and the dean loved it. It was neat and polished but it was full Frobie. However, I asked before to make sure it was fine. It really spoke about the schools culture and attitude toward other ethnicities. I also wore blonde braids pulled back into a bun for my first interview and got in so go figure ( didn't ask) lol I personally believe if a school isn't going to accept me and my natural hair then I would feel uncomfortable being there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wore my natural Afro to one interview and the dean loved it. It was neat and polished but it was full Frobie. However, I asked before to make sure it was fine. It really spoke about the schools culture and attitude toward other ethnicities. I also wore blonde braids pulled back into a bun for my first interview and got in so go figure ( didn't ask) lol I personally believe if a school isn't going to accept me and my natural hair then I would feel uncomfortable being there.

I'm glad you wrote this. I was thinking about how I'd wear my hair at an interview and I was telling my mother that it shouldn't matter (nothing crazy). If they have a problem with it, that's their problem.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm glad you wrote this. I was thinking about how I'd wear my hair at an interview and I was telling my mother that it shouldn't matter (nothing crazy). If they have a problem with it, that's their problem.
No, Please dont . Time and time again you will get the same answer. Medicine is a very very conservative field. Do not ruin your chance of a great school by wearing your hair in a way that will cause individuals to have unconscious biases against you. It worked for @PREMEDitated22 but it might not for you, why take the chance ?? Males regardless of race are told to remove most facial hair and have a conservative hair style . I dont think you should be approaching this with the mentality "if they have a problem with it thats their problem" You should be thinking that you should be accepted to that school excel and add one more black face to that admissions group so the future black girls dont have to worry. Play the game get inside and try to change it.

Reactions: 2 users

It shouldn't matter at all. I would also like to say in my experience in interviewing I saw most Caucasian and Asian girls with hairstyles that didn't seem professional to me (frizzy curls down swinging, hair in their face, or loose ponytails). I was stressing over what to do with my hair and I kinda got the impression that hair wasn't taken as seriously to them. And with how my interview experiences have gone (reactions from adcoms) I really don't think our natural hair is being perceived as negatively as it once was, as long as it's sleek, professional and not too distracting. I have super tight curls and I use Eco styler gel so The hair was laid and nothing was out of place. A super large fro is probably not the best option but you can always turn that into something cuter anyway like a side twist into a large neat bun. However, this is my own experience and it's not the end all be all. I truly believe if your hair is sleek and professional then you will be fine. Everyone one of these schools should have a diversity affairs office and asking them before you do anything would be the best bet to be safe. This will also help you establish a repor with adcoms from the diversity office ;).

Professional natural hair thread, anyone? I'm obsessed with hair and style search on a daily basis :cat:

No, Please dont . Time and time again you will get the same answer. Medicine is a very very conservative field. Do not ruin your chance of a great school by wearing your hair in a way that will cause individuals to have unconscious biases against you. It worked for @PREMEDitated22 but it might not for you, why take the chance ?? Males regardless of race are told to remove most facial hair and have a conservative hair style . I dont think you should be approaching this with the mentality "if they have a problem with it thats their problem" You should be thinking that you should be accepted to that school excel and add one more black face to that admissions group so the future black girls dont have to worry. Play the game get inside and try to change it.

The top knot in men was something I saw a lot on the interview trail o.o I thought that was interesting lol but I see what you're saying. It's always better to be safe than sorry but there are ways to get around that and still be able to have your natural hair during an interview. Our hair is not inherently messy and unprofessional. It just needs to be styled correctly. We shouldn't have to cover up who we are naturally just to game the system. We are not begging for seats and seats are not just being handed to us. What is important to us in a Medical school matters as well (diversity, outreach, cultural acceptance, support). I feel like that mentality you mentioned speaks to the regular common thought that "you should be happy with what you get as an URM, don't rock the boat, you are only here because of that anyway." It's like taking what "Massa" gave you and just being happy with it. Denying and lessening who I was born as, my wonderful blackness, my excellent melanin that God gave me specially just to get into Medical school would not sit well with me. This is not what medicine is about anyway. If we worked hard to get here and have the stats and ECs to prove it then we have a right to be sought after and choosy just like the rest of the superstars out there. Idk this is just my way of thinking into the late night of insomnia :D:p...

Reactions: 7 users

I was just going to wear my hair flat-ironed and curled a little. That shouldn't be an issue.

*sigh* I'm so jealous! My hair is natural and a few inches past my shoulders but now it's heat damaged/ heat trained!!!! Now it's permanently straight and my natural curls won't come back :arghh:. You guys are so lucky!!! I've worn braids most of my life, but I flat ironed and curled for interviews which was clearly a terrible choice for me; really regretting that decision right now.

It shouldn't matter at all. I would also like to say in my experience in interviewing I saw most Caucasian and Asian girls with hairstyles that didn't seem professional to me (frizzy curls down swinging, hair in their face, or loose ponytails). I was stressing over what to do with my hair and I kinda got the impression that hair wasn't taken as seriously to them. And with how my interview experiences have gone (reactions from adcoms) I really don't think our natural hair is being perceived as negatively as it once was, as long as it's sleek, professional and not too distracting. I have super tight curls and I use Eco styler gel so The hair was laid and nothing was out of place. A super large fro is probably not the best option but you can always turn that into something cuter anyway like a side twist into a large neat bun. However, this is my own experience and it's not the end all be all. I truly believe if your hair is sleek and professional then you will be fine. Everyone one of these schools should have a diversity affairs office and asking them before you do anything would be the best bet to be safe. This will also help you establish a repor with adcoms from the diversity office ;).

Professional natural hair thread, anyone? I'm obsessed with hair and style search on a daily basis :cat:

The top knot in men was something I saw a lot on the interview trail o.o I thought that was interesting lol but I see what you're saying. It's always better to be safe than sorry but there are ways to get around that and still be able to have your natural hair during an interview. Our hair is not inherently messy and unprofessional. It just needs to be styled correctly. We shouldn't have to cover up who we are naturally just to game the system. We are not begging for seats and seats are not just being handed to us. What is important to us in a Medical school matters as well (diversity, outreach, cultural acceptance, support). I feel like that mentality you mentioned speaks to the regular common thought that "you should be happy with what you get as an URM, don't rock the boat, you are only here because of that anyway." It's like taking what "Massa" gave you and just being happy with it. Denying and lessening who I was born as, my wonderful blackness, my excellent melanin that God gave me specially just to get into Medical school would not sit well with me. This is not what medicine is about anyway. If we worked hard to get here and have the stats and ECs to prove it then we have a right to be sought after and choosy just like the rest of the superstars out there. Idk this is just my way of thinking into the late night of insomnia :D:p...

I think you read waaaaaay too much into my comment. I never said something is wrong with natural hair and black women should be ashamed of it and cover it up. I am just responding to the previous poster about saying how she wears her hair doesnt matter, which is wrong It does matter and how professional you look to the interviewer . Second I wasnt saying that one should not look for cultural acceptance and diversity in a school but you are you are assuming that the individual in-front of you is representative of the entire cultural acceptance/diversity of the school , no its just one person so I disagree with you there.
Thirdly I wasnt saying anything about begging to get into medical school or looking for a hand out,either you are projecting some feelings with that or you grossly misread my comments. And its nothing about you are a URM you shouldn't rock the boat my point is she isnt even in the boat to rock anything yet. Hence my comments that she should play it safe and simple and when she is sure of her acceptance she can express herself how she likes . Once matriculated she can make the changes she like. Not once did I say I want you to deny your blackness or lessen it , I honestly think you and I are reading 2 different post or you just read my post while other stuff in your life was going on and you just unload some extra stuff.

Last edited:
I think you read waaaaaay too much into my comment. I never said something is wrong with natural hair and black women should be ashamed of it and cover it up. I am just responding to the previous poster about saying how she wears her hair doesnt matter, which is wrong It does matter and how professional you look to the interviewer . Second I wasnt saying that one should not look for cultural acceptance and diversity in a school but you are you are assuming that the individual in-front of you is representative of the entire cultural acceptance/diversity of the school , no its just one person so I disagree with you there.
Thirdly I wasnt saying anything about begging to get into medical school or looking for a hand out,either you are projecting some feelings with that or you grossly misread my comments. And its nothing about you are a URM you shouldn't rock the boat my point is she isnt even in the boat to rock anything yet. Hence my comments that she should play it safe and simple and when she is sure of her acceptance she can express herself how she likes . Once matriculated she can make the changes she like. Not once did I say I want you to deny your blackness or lessen it , I honestly think you and I are reading 2 different post or you just read my post while other stuff in your life was going on and you just unload some extra stuff.

I didn't mean it didn't matter at all. Of course, I'd keep it professional. That's what I meant by "nothing crazy". I just meant for me, between something like having it down or crochet braids maybe.

Everything I said was all in good fun lol not projected at you to make you the bad guy, sorry if it came off as so. Was sort of venting about my frustrations thus far about natural hair and professionalism :rolleyes:. I know you don't think natural hair is bad but even implying that what I did should not be done implies that natural cannot be professional. The poster didn't mean anything extreme when she said "if they have a problem with it that's their problem" as she said. So, we may be having two different pictures in mind when thinking of natural hair being professional. I'm thinking about having to wear your hair straight or in a weave to be accepted as professional rather than your own hair in a nice sleek style or twa. I Don't think @Angelyka should have to straighten her hair to be professional. Heat and even weaves can cause damage like @Cookie04 just said.

And usually when you interview there are at least 10-20 people interviewing you on any given day. And these people are going to be teaching you, helping you, and working with you for 4 years. "The interview starts as soon as you park". The person you speak to in a room isn't the only one and all these people's opinions have an effect on your interview. If it's not a place of cultural acceptance you will soon see by the looks they will be giving..

Lastly, I know you aren't saying we are asking for any handouts lol I was comparing what you said to a similar situation as an example. As soon as she got the II she was invited to the boat. And depending on the school the decisions that she makes with her hair can become very rocky depending on the admissions committee. (Ask first) If they are all good with it, excellent! If not and you go to that interview with straight hair or a weave and you didn't want to then what are you doing at that point? Taking what you have been given by "the powers that be", forced to deny yourself and nature for a medical school seat. And that just doesn't sit well with me... Some can be choosy and some can't and I understand that, but these things should be considered when thinking about your happiness for the next 4 years.

Just my humble opinion :)

Last edited:
*sigh* I'm so jealous! My hair is natural and a few inches past my shoulders but now it's heat damaged/ heat trained!!!! Now it's permanently straight and my natural curls won't come back :arghh:. You guys are so lucky!!! I've worn braids most of my life, but I flat ironed and curled for interviews which was clearly a terrible choice for me; really regretting that decision right now.
Same thing happened to me. I was almost BSL. I had to cut off 6 inches last month. Just get rid of the dead ends and start over

Members don't see this ad :)
Same thing happened to me. I was almost BSL. I had to cut off 6 inches last month. Just get rid of the dead ends and start over
I just can't bring myself to cut my hair...I've worked so hard to grow it out, it pains me to have to start all over. It'll be like 2-3 years before I get those 7-8 inches back since that is how much I'll have to cut off lol

I just can't bring myself to cut my hair...I've worked so hard to grow it out, it pains me to have to start all over. It'll be like 2-3 years before I get those 7-8 inches back since that is how much I'll have to cut off lol
The point of natural hair is the health of our hair. No use hanging onto dead hair, it looks lifeless. Better to have short thick hair that will grow out better imo.

Reactions: 4 users
About Black hair and its professionalism - I just want to say...#AskRachel

150616171602-rachel-dolezal-split-multi-lead-06-16-large-169.jpg

Seriously, though - @PREMEDitated22 :)

Everyone should just wear the hair YOU most feel comfortable with. In the end, it's an expression of you! And if you're projecting a false image that makes you feel uncomfortable, you're going to come across as uncomfortable in the interview. I believe locks look incredible sexy and professional on both men and women.

And I WISH I had the options my friends and sistahs do. This was my type of hair (I just cut it a little above my shoulders) and let me tell you, it looks AWFUL in braids and it would look terrible in locks. (Sometimes it looks terrible when it frizzes up too, but luckily I found great products.) I don't believe in blow-drying or flat-ironing, it splits the ends.

yhst-71927841717516_2234_487212.jpg

I just wish we were able to just LOVE and celebrate our natural hair because it's so diverse among us!

In the end, medical school is NOT about hair. We're not going to NOT get in because we have "ethnic" hair. Wear a hijab if you're that worried about your hair situation. But IMHO conformity does you a great disservice.

I don't intend to hide my tattoos (granted none are currently visible, but I'm thinking of getting one on my wrist), my ethical veganism, nor my religion either - these are all important parts of my identity and to deny that (and my hair!) is to lie to myself, my future colleagues, and future patients for the rest of my life. For me, it's not going to start at some admissions interview.

But who knows, they say your 30s are when you start fully feeling yourself. (I can't get that song out my head - "I'm feeling myself, I'm feeling myself...")

Reactions: 1 users
Y'all have to learn the LOC(or LCO) method or the max hydration methods. And stay away from that heat.

Reactions: 1 users
Same here, I cut my hair because I had a few inches of color on it and I wanted it off!

Any natural-hair premeds here? I have an interview next week and not quite sure how to wear my hair (wore a weave to my last interview). I have natural shoulder-length hair and don't want to come off unprofessional. Any ideas?
I would wear weave, why because it's a protective style and it's cute. Nothing all the way down you back through, I never get weave that long because I think it atrocious.

I would wear weave, why because it's a protective style and it's cute. Nothing all the way down you back through, I never get weave that long because I think it atrocious.

How is weave a protective style? I've worn a weave ONCE and it made my hair dehydrated and brittle once I took it out (early). I don't think weaves are cute - wigs maybe...but weaves itch and smell and pull the hair tight! Plus everyone knows it's not your hair.

What's wrong with flat-ironing for your interview if you're so inclined?

In reality aave might be cool to have as a second language and for the rap business, but when it comes down to the American hegemony, the African American community needs to be able to speak "proper" English in order to move up socially. Ex. Obama. I think education camps might be a helpful start.

That first style she had was hot, hot, hot!

This was a cute bun, I just wish she would have tightened the bun so here hair could look laid.

How is weave a protective style? I've worn a weave ONCE and it made my hair dehydrated and brittle once I took it out (early). I don't think weaves are cute - wigs maybe...but weaves itch and smell and pull the hair tight! Plus everyone knows it's not your hair.

What's wrong with flat-ironing for your interview if you're so inclined?
Chile you have to pamper the hair. My hair never gets damaged during weaves. Whenever I'm in the house I just braid my leave out and tie a satin scarf around my hair and put it into a bun(the weave). My hair is always thick and healthy when I take it out(It grows about 2 inches every time). The only thing I could say is that my leave out does tend to be straighter than the hair that was braided of course. Weaves do inch, my god. And people always ask me if it's my real hair and I say "yup" lol. I have a few problems with tight weave but immediately took it out...yes, I took it out and reinstalled it myself. I don't play that tight braid stuff, I'm still tender headed.

Chile you have to pamper the hair. My hair never gets damaged during weaves. Whenever I'm in the house I just braid my leave out and tie a satin scarf around my hair and put it into a bun(the weave). My hair is always thick and healthy when I take it out(It grows about 2 inches every time). The only thing I could say is that my leave out does tend to be straighter than the hair that was braided of course. Weaves do inch, my god. And people always ask me if it's my real hair and I say "yup" lol. I have a few problems with tight weave but immediately took it out...yes, I took it out and reinstalled it myself. I don't play that tight braid stuff, I'm still tender headed.

Some people bout to get real confused...
chile-map.jpg

lol this thread has turned into a hair styling thread lol

Reactions: 5 users
We have a storm headed this way for the weekend AND my first class is Monday. Hahaha... knowing my school, they will just delay and tell us to whip out our snowboards :cool:

Oohh no, I hope they delay as well!!!!

I wish I knew how to do extensions. Most I can do is flat twist my own hair

It's going to be a blizzard here. I am not looking forward to my weekend.
I'm stuck in the blizzard too, but I don't mind!
How's the snow going? It's accumulated already where I am.
So glad that I left work early and even more glad I put in to be off this weekend in advance! They wouldn't give me my bday off, but I'll take this instead.

The snow is supposed to start tomorrow and my friend wants to go out to drink. I'm like YEAH GIRL... but now that's not happening. Oh well :rolleyes:

The snow is supposed to start tomorrow and my friend wants to go out to drink. I'm like YEAH GIRL... but now that's not happening. Oh well :rolleyes:
Don't be lame. Go out before the snow.

Reactions: 3 users

Here is some motivation to go out. Get ya twerk on....... Watch out for thirsty dudes.....tho

Idk if this question is too personal, but I figure we're all anonymous anyway. What is your dream med school?
Mine is Columbia

Already joined the thread but based on everyone else's intro, I wanted to follow the trend....

Black female here, 2nd generation Midwesterner. (My family was originally from the south: Alabama and Tennessee). Mom is black from Michigan and my dad was blacker from Michigan. Lol. #sarcasm

On a serious note. I'm loving this thread and the positive vibe!

This is basically me too...minus the originally from the south part

Idk if this question is too personal, but I figure we're all anonymous anyway. What is your dream med school?
Mine is Columbia
Ummm...UW would be amazing, except I can't move across country. :(

This week was not a good week for me.
Had a swollen eye, and pink eye. I was out from work three days straight.

My sister and I went to the movies, and decided to charge our phones. Someone stole both of our phones. The sad thing is we caught the brotha on camera, he gave the General Manager our chargers without the phone. Because he want to act like a shotta, a shot 'im ah get. I spoke to the squallie, and explained to them that I want to press charges. I embarrassed his box side as many detectives and police officers came to the scene. Get this, he was still at work lol working. They went up stairs and arrested him. On him, he had both of our Samsung batteries w/o our phone. I wanted to give him to rahtid rassclot licks in his face. But the joy I felt when I saw him in handcuffs, and walked downstairs was heaven to me. I already contacted his boss, and I am going to see to it that he is disciplined.

If he had given up the phones, then I would not have escalated it this far, but since he wants to STOMP with the big dogs, stomp 'im get. I am going to press charges, sue for emotional distress, and stolen property. The sad part is my sister and I don't have a Galaxy. Our phones cost about 100 dollars, lol.

The fact is this person is a young African-American male who was caught several different ways red-handed, and he refused to budge.

How is everyone doing tonight?

I saw The Boy.

Ummm...UW would be amazing, except I can't move across country. :(
Never give up on your dream, sometimes things fall into place

My sister and I went to the movies, and decided to charge our phones. Someone stole both of our phones. The sad thing is we caught the brotha on camera, he gave the General Manager our chargers without the phone. Because he want to act like a shotta, a shot 'im ah get. I spoke to the squallie, and explained to them that I want to press charges. I embarrassed his box side as many detectives and police officers came to the scene. Get this, he was still at work lol working. They went up stairs and arrested him. On him, he had both of our Samsung batteries w/o our phone. I wanted to give him to rahtid rassclot licks in his face. But the joy I felt when I saw him in handcuffs, and walked downstairs was heaven to me. I already contacted his boss, and I am going to see to it that he is disciplined.

If he had given up the phones, then I would not have escalated it this far, but since he wants to STOMP with the big dogs, stomp 'im get. I am going to press charges, sue for emotional distress, and stolen property. The sad part is my sister and I don't have a Galaxy. Our phones cost about 100 dollars, lol.

The fact is this person is a young African-American male who was caught several different ways red-handed, and he refused to budge.

I saw The Boy.
It looked like it was a stupid movie from the trailer. How'd you like it?

I saw The Boy.
well-that-escalated-jmg8n6.jpg

*snip* I wanted to give him to rahtid rassclot licks *snip*

Dead.
At least you got him. Someone stole my cheap metro pcs phone out of the nail salon a few months ago and the manager wanted to act like the cameras didn't work.

My night was great until I had to walk home in the snow :)

My dream school is and will always be Columbia.

I am going to press charges, sue for emotional distress, and stolen property.
You're going to sue someone who has so little money that he's resorted to stealing? Aside from paying a lot of money hiring a lawyer, what do you expect to happen? Sigh

This week was not a good week for me. How is everyone doing tonight?

Just got back from the clubs. I'm hungry and tired.

I'm glad you were able to catch the culprit. Hope you feel better after the pink eye.

I saw The Boy.

This story sounds interesting but can someone translate this into English?

Reactions: 3 users
"I spoke to the police and explained I wanted to press charges"
"I embarrassed his ass because a lot of detectives came"
"I wanted to give him two ****ing punches (or slaps) in his face"
"Since he wanted to play with the big dogs, he got bit"

Reactions: 5 users

I saw The Boy.

It has been a horrible week for me. Not only were my eyes swollen, I contracted the pink eye. I had to take 3 days off from work to recover.

Other than that, my sister and I went to see "The boy." At the same time, we decided to charge our phones which was away from us. While away, our phones were stolen. The good part, the culprit was caught on camera. The criminal had given his manager our chargers minus our phones and tried to be cool about it. I spoke to the police/detectives and wanted to press charges. He became embarrassed as his swag began to dissipate when multiple enforcement arrived. He was arrested on the scene, while at work. I wanted to "rahtid rassclot" ......okay....what the f....does that mean? hahahaha Anyways, I was filled with joy when I saw him get taken away. I had contacted his manager and wanted to make sure he get what he deserve.

Seriously, if he had just given us our phones back, I wouldn't have call the police. Since he wanted to play with the law, the law is what he gets. I will press charges, sue for emotional damages, and stolen property. My sister and I dont have the Galaxy. We got that free flip phone that costed 100 dollars if you sign up for that 2-year contract. It was a good deal at the time.

The criminal was a young black male, probably a rapper who is trying to get his mixtape out on the streets, that was caught red handed and refused to admit to his unlawfulness.

What ya up to tonight?

:laugh: