Boston Med TV Show (ABC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I thought he was cool.

But wow, was that Pina Patel annoying. So whiny...

The show was ok, and yea Pina Patel was annoying but she was also super cute.. So I guess I could put up with the annoying crybaby stuff

Members don't see this ad.

it seemed like she really sucked at being a doctor

The whole thing seemed a lot like Hopkins as i remember it. Organ transplants, ER scenes. Think of all the specialties which are never mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah the specialties that don't translate well to TV because there's not much drama or physical activity. Surgery is way overrepresented on this type of show! Still, awesome.

The whole thing seemed a lot like Hopkins as i remember it. Organ transplants, ER scenes. Think of all the specialties which are never mentioned.

Of course, one episode isn't really a very good barometer of the series as a whole. Perhaps they'll be covering other specialties in upcoming episodes?

(DISCLAIMER: Yes, they will)

I mean, has anyone even heard of these hospitals?
yea...i think most everyone actually.

http://health.usnews.com/health-new...-best-hospitals-the-2009-2010-honor-roll.html

http://health.usnews.com/health-new...ildrens-hospitals-2010-11-the-honor-roll.html

Who else thought Dr. Dibar was the sh*it?
he did come of as someone i'd want to work with. very collective.
more will get displayed. the first episode showed nothing of Children's either..

Yeah the specialties that don't translate well to TV because there's not much drama or physical activity. Surgery is way overrepresented on this type of show! Still, awesome.
i agree, a little too much drama, but i mean, they aren't gonna show someone in clinic. snoozefest.

Did anyone else find it interesting that every doctor they showed was pretty attractive? Not that doctors are ugly, but come on, it was a little "beautified" physically too.

And I'll probably watch it again, but I actually found it a little dry. There were three side stories, sure, but maybe dragged out too much? I mean they showed the transplant team out about fifty times. Don't know, maybe it's just me.

I think that the reason they only showed attractive doctors is because most of the viewers are Grey's Anatomy audience, you can tell by the type of music they played.

EN

I wouldn't say they were "attractive" but they weren't ugly or anything.

But then again this is ABC. How many ugly people are on the Bachelor?

They know what they are doing, more people will watch if they use people that are easier to look at. Good looks actually make people attribute intelligence or authority, when it isn't actually justifiable.

This is real, but it is also TV so they are obviously going to present the most attractive/dramatic/intense sides of everything they can.

I liked the show a lot. Better than watching Grey's Anatomy, which is really just using the hospital setting to see who gets to sleep with who.

MGH, BWH, and Childrens

I mean, has anyone even heard of these hospitals?

Clearly these are second tier hospitals you listed as seen by their sub-top 4 rankings in US news. Where is moonglow to back me up when you need her?

Also, learn what sarcasm is.

At some point during the episode she even said something along the lines of, "I don't even know how I got this residency spot."
Well I'm sure she was just being modest. She isn't gonna brag about her GPA, MCAT, and Step 1 score (which I assume is pretty high) on TV.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm sure she was just being modest. She isn't gonna brag about her GPA, MCAT, and Step 1 score (which I assume is pretty high) on TV.
I mean sure, but the way they framed her during the episode led me to think she wasn't just being modest.

I mean sure, but the way they framed her during the episode led me to think she wasn't just being modest.

as much as i like watching shows like this, this episode really made me wonder what are their intentions on broadcasting a show like this (aside from financial profit)? there is obviously a very broad target audience. it just makes me think showing some of the things that they did will cast further doubt in doctors' abilities and value.

the way they framed her, it seemed like she was solely responsible for killing that dialysis patient (and screamed lawsuit). but they also showed the head anesthesiologist having to use the special viewers to intubate the patient, indicating even he had difficulty.

i feel like as "cool" as this show is, it's just a badd idea.

as much as i like watching shows like this, this episode really made me wonder what are their intentions on broadcasting a show like this (aside from financial profit)? there is obviously a very broad target audience. it just makes me think showing some of the things that they did will cast further doubt in doctors' abilities and value.

the way they framed her, it seemed like she was solely responsible for killing that dialysis patient (and screamed lawsuit). but they also showed the head anesthesiologist having to use the special viewers to intubate the patient, indicating even he had difficulty.

i feel like as "cool" as this show is, it's just a badd idea.

Ya in one scene you see the anes MD telling her "This is going to make the patient suffer" and then in another scene (to the camera) "I don't think it (Pina not being able to inubate) made a difference in this patient"

even in the mandible reconstruction surgery, clearly there was a new medical student in there. but you could hear the surgeon go, "no, don't do that. you never do that." eek.

even in the mandible reconstruction surgery, clearly there was a new medical student in there. but you could hear the surgeon go, "no, don't do that. you never do that." eek.

Haha ya at least is didn't show her yelling some profanity or something

:laugh: I remember that part. I think they need a better editor lol.

At some point during the episode she even said something along the lines of, "I don't even know how I got this residency spot."
I think she said this in the context of not having an "ivy league" background like some of her other residents

it seemed like she really sucked at being a doctor
I obviously haven't been through residency yet, but I'd imagine that it's actually pretty common for residents to have days (or weeks, even) where they feel like absolute crap and not sure if they have what it takes to be a doctor. I don't know, it seems a little unfair to jump to the conclusion that she's a bad doctor or undeserving, especially considering we only saw an (edited) 15 minutes of her 80 hour workweeks. I mean, if she was really awful, I doubt she'd have a job right now.

Really, it's more likely that they just edited it in a way that it sets up a heartwarming, underdog, zero-to-hero type story over these 6-8 episodes where she blossoms into this doctor that slowly becomes capable and confident in her abilities.

But I guess we'll see.

I don't think that's a fair statement. Until you're a resident, you have no idea what it's like.

:thumbup:

I feel that her experiences on the show were very much real life. You are going to have off days as a resident, and there will be attendings who will challenge you and make you feel like S when you screw up. She did the best she could in that situation and when I saw the anesthesia attending in the background with the fiberoptic scope, you know that this intubation must have been very difficult. He must have ate his words when he was berating her and then he couldn't get the tube either.

She is doing what any good resident would do. Take the experience and learn from it, and keep on going, never give up.

I know one of the docs on the show, it was so cool to see him on there!

I know one of the docs on the show, it was so cool to see him on there!

really? that's pretty awesome

the only time I was on TV was when my D.A.R.E graduation was filmed and put on cable :(

JOLT21! You have a 3.46 cum, 3.44 sci, a 31 MCAT, and you made HARVARD, YALE, CHICAGO, CORNELL, etc?! THAT'S AMAZING! what's your secret, man?!
Holy **** dude. Your MDapps is basically the holy grail of med school acceptances.

I'll chalk it up as better than what you'll do?
what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Well he is actually a URM so I have a feeling that may have helped him get into Harvard, Yale and UCSF with below average stats. Also didn't hurt he went to an Ivy.

Ivy league inflation w/ below average stats.....SO ghey that URM helped that much. Life not fair, i get it.

All she was saying in that statement was that she didn't go to an Ivy league undergrad or med school, then she said she didn't believe how she got that residency given her peers' Ivy League credentials.

The show was alright. The music was terrible, annoying, and interrupted the flow for me a bit. Too much Real World garbage music.

Last edited:
Haha I noticed that too!! Awkward much?

Very. Next episode she heads to the spa!

Not bad. I never saw Hopkins because I was on a strict Law & Order/ Legally Blonde diet when it aired. Something worth watching on Thursdays. The soundtrack is OK (I can tune it out), Boston is just awesome and those lungs were a new breed of smexy. lol.

Re: attractive residents

I'd say the average MGH resident in the ED or that comes down to consult is at least moderately attractive. I'm not so sure they had to select for that at all. There are those that aren't, but getting a good looking group doesn't require trying.

And here I am thinking this thread was about Boston Med, lol...

I liked when the female anesthesiologist at the beginning of the episode said that her job is to take care of the patient and the patients airway, not to teach the resident:eek: Wow. Attendings aren't supposed to teach residents at a hospital with residents. Learn something new everyday.

I liked when the female anesthesiologist at the beginning of the episode said that her job is to take care of the patient and the patients airway, not to teach the resident:eek: Wow. Attendings aren't supposed to teach residents at a hospital with residents. Learn something new everyday.

She probably meant teach the little things that she should know... In other words shes not there to baby sit.

Anyways, watched the show because my mom recorded it and thought I should watch it-- Not watching again, it is just another crappy drama show with a crappy soundtrack.
Would much rather watch trauma: life in the er or something more along those lines.

In general I enjoyed the show, and I'll watch it again. However, I wasn't a big fan of that female emergency resident - to me, she just seemed...somewhat unprofessional, mostly due to her attitude and the fact she has a nosering.

In general I enjoyed the show, and I'll watch it again. However, I wasn't a big fan of that female emergency resident - to me, she just seemed...somewhat unprofessional, mostly due to her attitude and the fact she has a nosering.

The dateline show on abc a few months ago had a peds resident with nosering!!! Does it have something to do with wanting to overaccessorize the face due to having to wear scrubs all the time?

I didn't think the nose ring was a huge deal.

I know, right? How conservative are you to get pissed off about a tiny piece of jewelry?

I was let go at one of the hospitals I volunteered at because the doctors didn't think my ear rings were in line with the conservative norm. They were the clear tubes that are made to be worn at work so your holes don't close up.