Boston Med TV Show (ABC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was let go at one of the hospitals I volunteered at because the doctors didn't think my ear rings were in line with the conservative norm. They were the clear tubes that are made to be worn at work so your holes don't close up.

Seriously. If your ears are stretched, they're not going to close up in the short amount of time you are volunteering (I'm assuming they're stretched b/c you put "tubes" in them). Did you volunteer like 60 hours a week?

Members don't see this ad.

i hope this show lives up to the quality of hopkins, i quite enjoyed that show especially the comical doctor and his "dance" intern: the one where he was a dancer before becoming a resident.

I liked when the female anesthesiologist at the beginning of the episode said that her job is to take care of the patient and the patients airway, not to teach the resident:eek: Wow. Attendings aren't supposed to teach residents at a hospital with residents. Learn something new everyday.

I only saw a little bit of this episode but I don't think the anesthesia attending was out of line.

When Anesthesiology is called to provide "back-up" for airway management, the importance of airway management can trump resident education. Missed intubation and direct laryngoscopy attempts can traumatize the airway and turn a difficult situation into an emergent "can't ventilate, can't intubate" situation, with potential sequelae of permanent hypoxic brain injury, other organ damage, and death. Mucking around the airway can also make fiberoptic intubation much harder or even impossible.

When I go down to the ER to provide "back-up" for an airway, I make it clear that I am not going to be responsible for an airway that has already been messed up - if our help is wanted we play by our rules - which is usually that the ER resident can give it their one best shot before we take over. Some attendings in my department won't even allow that. If our rules are not acceptable, the ER physicians are welcome to manage the airway on their own (they are not obligated to call us).

Also, in general, attendings are not responsible for the education of residents in other departments, and often are not permitted to oversee their procedures.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only saw a little bit of this episode but I don't think the anesthesia attending was out of line.

When Anesthesiology is called to provide "back-up" for airway management, the importance of airway management can trump resident education. Missed intubation and direct laryngoscopy attempts can traumatize the airway and turn a difficult situation into an emergent "can't ventilate, can't intubate" situation, with potential sequelae of permanent hypoxic brain injury, other organ damage, and death. Mucking around the airway can also make fiberoptic intubation much harder or even impossible.

When I go down to the ER to provide "back-up" for an airway, I make it clear that I am not going to be responsible for an airway that has already been messed up - if our help is wanted we play by our rules - which is usually that the ER resident can give it their one best shot before we take over. Some attendings in my department won't even allow that. If our rules are not acceptable, the ER physicians are welcome to manage the airway on their own (they are not obligated to call us).

Also, in general, attendings are not responsible for the education of residents in other departments, and often are not permitted to oversee their procedures.

I always though ENTs were in charge of airways. Do they do it too? Or who does it more?

it seemed like she really sucked at being a doctor

Yea... Just wait until the first time you go to intubate a patient in the OR under very controlled conditions without the urgency of the trauma situation that she was in, and still screw up just as badly....

You will feel like crap for days.

that chick that botched the air way is soft like Pau Gasol. She needed to be more like KOBE...Kobe would of secured that air way because it is his will.

Kobe-dunks-2.jpg

Now...look at that picture and tell me Kobe would not have secured that Air way.

I always though ENTs were in charge of airways. Do they do it too? Or who does it more?

There is usually always anesthesia in house and available to handle tricky airways. Also depends where you are. In the ICU the Pulm/Critical Care doc may handle a lot of that if they are in house, but still anesthesia called in occasionally.

There may be an ENT on call, but they're certainly not called in for an airway. Poor form to interrupt a golf game like that....

that chick that botched the air way is soft like Pau Gasol. She needed to be more like KOBE...Kobe would of secured that air way because it is his will.

Kobe-dunks-2.jpg

Now...look at that picture and tell me Kobe would not have secured that Air way.

Can't stop laughing! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Totally disagree, and the anesthesiology department on that show should be horribly embarrassed. First, any attending who works at a teaching hospital thinks it's "not their job to train residents" should be fired on the spot. That statement itself is pretty indefensible at a TEACHING HOSPITAL. Just show them the door. Doesn't matter what department the resident is from. That's totally crap. I've worked at teaching hospitals, and if you are the resident who's there at the code/procedure/intubation and the attending supervising is from another department, then yes, they are the ones who get to teach you. Anesthesia attendings are ALWAYS allowed to oversee intubations when they are there -- they are generally the most experienced at intubating due to volume, and so to shrug her shoulders and say "hey it's not by job to teach residents" is garbage.

Second, if during a Code you call for anesthesia because of a difficult airway and anesthesia doesn't show up (an all too often occurrence), then an attending really has no business lecturing the resident for taking a shot. She knew she needed help and asked for it. That anesthesia didn't show up means the anesthesia folks are at fault. That's who the attending should be PO'd at. So twice in a one hour episode anesthesia at this supposedly prominent Boston hospital looked like crap. If that's business as usual there I hope somebody in administration or the department takes note.

As others have noted, you are misinformed. Anesthesia is who you call for help in intubation. ENT is who you call if there is obstruction, swelling, or airway damage. Most of the time you will call ENT for non-time sensitive consults, because the normal response when you call them early in the day is going to be "We will swing by after clinic, around 5pm, give them antibiotics and decadron until then". You won't see ENT docs running down the halls with an intubation box.

I think I liked Hopkins a lot more at this point. We're only two episode in though.

And has anyone else noticed that every time Pina was on camera her patients were either coding or she was messing up? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I am actually a good friend of Dr. Pina Patel and went through med school with her and did my IM training at another Harvard affiliated hospital Boston. I would keep in mind that she was filmed for four months and only 20 minutes out of thousands of hours of footage is shown. She was probably filmed doing 100 procedures correctly and saving lives on a daily basis, but the one or two mistakes she may have made during that time period were aired, to create a storyline for TV. To address the comments about her being annoying and whining about her feelings, I would say that every doctor has made AT LEAST one mistake, whether small or large throughout their training. Until you have been through residency, or for that matter, medical school, you will never know how terrible it feels to make a mistake that may potentially affect another human being's life. You may have done 1000 things right, but the moment you do one thing wrong that has the potential to hurt someone else, it can jar your confidence in your abilities and make you doubt your future in medicine. This is the "dirty" part of medicine that no one sees and I think she is very brave for letting the whole country see her at her most vulnerable. I for one, would not have been able to watch my mistakes on TV.

I am actually a good friend of Dr. Pina Patel and went through med school with her and did my IM training at another Harvard affiliated hospital Boston. I would keep in mind that she was filmed for four months and only 20 minutes out of thousands of hours of footage is shown. She was probably filmed doing 100 procedures correctly and saving lives on a daily basis, but the one or two mistakes she may have made during that time period were aired, to create a storyline for TV. To address the comments about her being annoying and whining about her feelings, I would say that every doctor has made AT LEAST one mistake, whether small or large throughout their training. Until you have been through residency, or for that matter, medical school, you will never know how terrible it feels to make a mistake that may potentially affect another human being's life. You may have done 1000 things right, but the moment you do one thing wrong that has the potential to hurt someone else, it can jar your confidence in your abilities and make you doubt your future in medicine. This is the "dirty" part of medicine that no one sees and I think she is very brave for letting the whole country see her at her most vulnerable. I for one, would not have been able to watch my mistakes on TV.
tell her from 476 that she's hawt

Re: Pina Patel, anyone who has gone through a residency, in any specialty, at any hospital from MGH to Podunk Memorial, has enough of those types of moments (failed procedures, hesitancy in decisions, "whining") to fill a whole season of reality TV. If you had national TV filming you while doing a procedure, how would it go for you?

I know, right? How conservative are you to get pissed off about a tiny piece of jewelry?

it wasnt a big deal, it just looked like crap- all nose rings look like crap in general, and I think it is a futile attempt to look cool.
Adriana Lima could be wearing one, and Id still be turned off.

it wasnt a big deal, it just looked like crap- all nose rings look like crap in general, and I think it is a futile attempt to look cool.
Adriana Lima could be wearing one, and Id still be turned off.

59872663.jpg

Some people can pull off a nose ring and others can't and Pina is one of those people that can rock a nose ring and look good with it. Its really popular in Indian culture for girls to have nose rings especially in the Hindu society

Jon Daniel is Indian? I was thinking he was of Latin decent :eyebrow:

I've noticed that many Indian women wear nose rings. For Indian women, wearing a nose ring almost as typical as earrings.

Did anyone else notice that a lot of the doctors shown on Boston Med are of Indian origin? Pina Patel, another Patel in the ER, Prashant Shah, Jon Daniel, and Rahul Rathod.

For less than 1% of the population, Indians and Indian-Americans in the states seem to be doing really well for themselves in medicine.

You know, I wonder why they do not have East Asian residents in the show, thats pretty common in medicine too.

Last night's episode was pretty good, but I don't really like that nurse's attitude in the show, I know nurses have experience in the department, but they shouldn't act like they own the place. New interns may not know much, but their judgements and viewpoints are also valuable, the nurse shouldn't walk around and act like interns doesn't know anything about her patients and at least try to teach them...

I mean, I just want to get injured and transported to MGH so I can flirt with Amanda...

Did anyone else sit up and :eek: when they were showing the surgery on the baby? Ha and I like that surgeon who was doing it "...and if anyone can do this surgery, we can." haha gotta love those guys

I found the extra on JD and Dr. Shah trying to figure out what a turkey was pretty funny

The show seems to have a lot more commercial breaks than Hopkins did

Dont hate on Pina Patel nor her nose ring

Supposedly 1 in every 20 doctors in the US is of indian descent?

Has everyone stopped tuning in? Regardless of whether the show closely depicts reality or not, I'm definitely a fan of "Boston Med." I'm falling for "Bardouche" and Reisch :love:. Even though Reisch is a bit weird for my tastes.

Has everyone stopped tuning in? Regardless of whether the show closely depicts reality or not, I'm definitely a fan of "Boston Med." I'm falling for "Bardouche" and Reisch :love:. Even though Reisch is a bit weird for my tastes.
they both suck, they have terrible personalities in their own ****ty ways

They did? I was watching futurama and Boston med at the same time, must've missed that part.

EN

Doesn't matter... they may have been properly dressed for a night on the town, but they still are idiots. At their swanky party, one of the guys was really confused that the Indian girl with them doesn't automatically get along great with other Indian people...

bardouche's friend reminds me of napoleon dynamite. can't remember his name.

Doesn't matter... they may have been properly dressed for a night on the town, but they still are idiots. At their swanky party, one of the guys was really confused that the Indian girl with them doesn't automatically get along great with other Indian people...

I'm pretty sure he was joking about the Indian love connection thing.. :)

I'm pretty sure he was joking about the Indian love connection thing.. :)

He probably was (I hope), but the Indian chick still looked at him like he was well... a douche.

Haha yeah, very funny and awkward scene.

I thought the trauma surgeon, Dr. Ustin, was pretty cool. He seemed to work really hard to make sure things are right.

Tis true. but I hear that a lot of nurses are this way when they interact with residents and med students.

I've heard people on Hopkins show that ABC did before were worse deuschbags.

Both nurses and doctors alike were deuschbags on there or so I've been told.

I think these people aren't that bad. I don't think that EM doctor, the white one (Reisch) is a deuschbag but I think he is awkward compared to the personality of other EM physicians or residents I've known.

Dr. Bardessi is what he is but i don't think he's the most arrogant I've seen either. He is just very anal and wants things done faster the better.

I think the nurse is a bit more annoying when compared to the doctors.

According to the abc website the white guy is a plastic surgery resident (that was just an intern year).

and the douche guy (definitely does seem like a douche) has a pretty impressive background though: mayo for medical school, harvard mph working under Atul Gawande and now apparently he's getting an mba from Harvard. Maybe that's why hes so cocky.

amanda is good looking?

what r u guys smoking? her face is decent at best and her body is borderline obese. U guys have such low standards.