Breast IMRT Choosing Wisely... We Knew Ye

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cigna is not approving in my experience.

I heard there is a 5 fraction WBRT + SIB protocol from MDACC. I tried to find it on clinicaltrials.gov but could not. I can try to get some info...
If you have commercial insurance IMRT for routine whole breast is seldom going to get through unless the commercial policy doesn’t require prior auth

WE HAVE ASTRO TO THANK FOR THIS AND IT SHOULD BE A SCANDAL (yes I yelled)

United just changed its commercial policy to make IMRT medically necessary for 5 fraction breast, but this doesn’t address what we are talking about here

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I was told in residency by breast experts that you shouldn't use IMRT for breast because the breast is too mobile and you could miss due to anatomic changes (yet we treat 35 head and neck fractions where they are shrinking before our eyes maybe re-simming once all the time?). Also the low dose spray is unacceptable. A

Always curious about the data backing this up that IMRT is more dangerous due to local failures and secondary malignancies/pneumonitis. Anybody?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was told in residency by breast experts that you shouldn't use IMRT for breast because the breast is too mobile and you could miss due to anatomic changes (yet we treat 35 head and neck fractions where they are shrinking before our eyes maybe re-simming once all the time?). Also the low dose spray is unacceptable. A

Always curious about the data backing this up that IMRT is more dangerous due to local failures and secondary malignancies/pneumonitis. Anybody?
If I do imrt I do breath hold fwiw. I pretty much always do imrt for rni. In any case, I think wallnerus discussed this in a separate thread.

Reactions: 1 user

That “expert” very likely does not understand imrt.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

1) Fake news that IMRT more dangerous, more failures, more low dose spray, more pneumonitis (that one’s a howler)
2) IMRT *****is***** 3DCRT
3) IMRT doesn’t cause misses… incorrectly defining or accounting for things like ITVs and PTVs do
4) Two field static beam IMRT has all the pros and cons of two field anything else (see #2) except that the homogeneity will be nicer, and the patients will be at significantly less risk of acute and late side effects

Some of the IMRT fears come off as very anti vaxxy in spirit … ie they’re kooky

Reactions: 8 users
If I do imrt I do breath hold fwiw. I pretty much always do imrt for rni. In any case, I think wallnerus discussed this in a separate thread.
How do you image if you're doing breath hold IMRT?

1) Fake news that IMRT more dangerous, more failures, more low dose spray, more pneumonitis (that one’s a howler)
2) IMRT *****is***** 3DCRT
3) IMRT doesn’t cause misses… incorrectly defining or accounting for things like ITVs and PTVs do
4) Two field static beam IMRT has all the pros and cons of two field anything else (see #2) except that the homogeneity will be nicer, and the patients will be at significantly less risk of acute and late side effects

Some of the IMRT fears come off as very anti vaxxy in spirit … ie they’re kooky

IMRT implementation as a brand new modality was a little bumpy no? At least if you believe the narratives about RTOG 0529. Maybe reasonable to be nervous about IMRT 20 years ago...

But that was 20 years ago.

Reactions: 1 users
How do you image if you're doing breath hold IMRT?
I can't. Cone beam beforehand. Physics feels comfortable enough the setup.

Walrus, the argument was that the breast would "fall" in different places when supine and also swell during treatment, so you can't trust that what you planned to is being treated with IMRT.

Of course, we treat through dramatic anatomic changes in head and neck all the time and maybe re-sim once if you are a good non-boomery rad onc.

Don't shoot the messenger. That's just what the anti-IMRT party line was. And of course that evil integral dose.

Walrus, the argument was that the breast would "fall" in different places when supine and also swell during treatment, so you can't trust that what you planned to is being treated with IMRT.

Of course, we treat through dramatic anatomic changes in head and neck all the time and maybe re-sim once if you are a good non-boomery rad onc.

Don't shoot the messenger. That's just what the anti-IMRT party line was. And of course that evil integral dose.
Same. Setup has been remarkably consistent.

IMRT *****is***** 3DCRT
Not sure why folks don't get this. In today's era, your forward planned breast plan may be segmented to a very high degree. E-comp plans are in fact inverse planned and include dynamic MLC movements.

The concern should always be about how robust the plan is. Does it fall to pieces when there are changes in anatomy or small set-up errors. Do hot spots end up in bad places (like the spinal canal). Do cold spots form over the PTV. For breast, hot spots are still going to end up in the breast. Most IMRT plans are pretty robust. Many SBRT plans are not.

I want to know what volume to plan to for IMRT whole breast (how far should that volume based on your basic tangent IDL choice be away from skin)?

Also, what sort of MU/dose ratio are you looking at with these plans? Is 2-3x dose or sometimes much more?

Finally, I'm not so keen on breath hold when not avoiding something. It extends treatment time and the act of breath hold allows for much bigger CW excursion than is typical in a relaxed, free breathing patient (about 4mm on average I believe). I would think this level of motion is fine. We don't breath hold all IMRT lungs or Gus or pancreas.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Let’s say setup was not consistent, why would breast imrt be worse than 3d?
Can't tell exactly what you're asking, but by remarkably consistent, I mean soft tissue, cavity, imns, etc are pretty much dead on. obviously, setup wouldn't be better or worse if 3d. In that vain, hotspots are better, toxicities have been fewer, and I'm able to forget all the kick the couch vs single iso mental masturbation that comes with 3d rni. I do arcs wherever I can, and do breath hold in breast as opposed to lung because I haven't the slightest idea how to feel comfortable doing a 4d breast sim, which as someone noted, we do in pancreas and lung and incorporate motion into our volumes. Sure, I can expand my ptv outside the body, which can be accounted for with tangents, but not arcs.

Every boob I’ve ever watched seemed to sit there, did very little dancing around

Now we finish breast in 15 fractions or less anyways, no time for anatomic changes

Question for those implementing whole breast RT, I have traditionally done it ala RTOG with the contours. Does anybody have their dosimetrists introuduce "flash"? There is some literature about how to do that, but I haven't. I generally use CBCT to visualize soft tissue and then beam on and don't routinely create artificial flash

Question for those implementing whole breast RT, I have traditionally done it ala RTOG with the contours. Does anybody have their dosimetrists introuduce "flash"? There is some literature about how to do that, but I haven't. I generally use CBCT to visualize soft tissue and then beam on and don't routinely create artificial flash
Are you talking about IMRT with arcs or static fields?

We are adding flash to our vmat plans. Heats up the superficial tissues a smidge but as I understand it is more robust.

I should also mention our default is static field imrt 5 fraction whole breast +- sequential boost

I
i doubt it matters. We treat with vmat and add a fake bolus or body. If anterior most breast tissue which is 5 mm below surface recieves 90% of dose, I can’t imagine their would be clinical consequences. (Absent inflam or skin involvement)

I

i doubt it matters. We treat with vmat and add a fake bolus or body. If anterior most breast tissue which is 5 mm below surface recieves 90% of dose, I can’t imagine their would be clinical consequences. (Absent inflam or skin involvement)
I agree. That feedback was given to me by my planners, but if it’s an effect I haven’t really noticed it in what has been presented to me.

that being said our default imrt plans are optimized in a way that drives me crazy and I can’t convince the group to make some process changes (yet). Sigh

What reimbursement/collections is everyone seeing for 5 fraction IMRT vs. 15 fraction 3D (on average)?

I ask both out of curiosity and because I recently had UHC deny IMRT for 5 fraction whole breast (but would approve 5 fraction partial, which of course makes you wonder what exactly is the "whole breast")?

I have found, in general, the tech + prof is about equal for 5 fx vmat vs 15 fx 3D, but prof (RVUs) lower for vmat.

What reimbursement/collections is everyone seeing for 5 fraction IMRT vs. 15 fraction 3D (on average)?

I ask both out of curiosity and because I recently had UHC deny IMRT for 5 fraction whole breast (but would approve 5 fraction partial, which of course makes you wonder what exactly is the "whole breast")?
Just tell them it’s partial

Who is to really say what is and isn’t “whole breast”

I think Mark Wahlberg has a nipple on his abdomen almost?

• Haha
  • Love
For those of you using VMAT, what kind of heart doses are you seeing / accepting for left sided cases?

Edit: specifically for whole breast / CW + RNI (not APBI)

Last edited:
Just tell them it’s partial

Who is to really say what is and isn’t “whole breast”

I think Mark Wahlberg has a nipple on his abdomen almost?
Would be be ok to do what you say? Call it “partial” because you are skimping a bit medially and laterally? Would this be “legal”? A grift is another man’s MO?

For those of you using VMAT, what kind of heart doses are you seeing / accepting for left sided cases?

Been seeing anywhere from 200-300 cGy mean. Been pushing them hard to get it down to just over 200cGy though by using IMRT/DIBH

This has been a struggle... I'd like to hear others input b/c I this this could be just our planners. (I assume you are meaning including the IMN)

I ask to meet B51 heart mean at 4Gy, they accept up to 5Gy as deviation. We usually end up at somewhere between 6-8Gy heart mean. with 8Gy being the top generally.

If I ask any more... it just falls apart. I skimp on the IMNs if I can... or maybe skimp on the chest wall if the predominant indication is nodal disease.

I have recently just been focusing on LAD; I think V10 under 15% was published.

If others are getting 3Gy.... we need a new dosimetrist.

Been seeing anywhere from 200-300 cGy mean. Been pushing them hard to get it down to just over 200cGy though by using IMRT/DIBH
I'm around 3 Gy mean on most of these if treating IM's. I do some partial arc, some static IMRT.

how many of you contour the LAD. If mean heart is 3 gy, mean LAD with VMAT can be much higher.

This has been a struggle... I'd like to hear others input b/c I this this could be just our planners. (I assume you are meaning including the IMN)

I ask to meet B51 heart mean at 4Gy, they accept up to 5Gy as deviation. We usually end up at somewhere between 6-8Gy heart mean. with 8Gy being the top generally.

If I ask any more... it just falls apart. I skimp on the IMNs if I can... or maybe skimp on the chest wall if the predominant indication is nodal disease.

I enrolled on B51 and constraints were crazy hard to meet. It's 'actually how I started doing more IMRT/VMAT, because I just couldn't meet their constraints with 3D plans using crazy combos of angles and electrons. No way in hell you were meeting those constraints with partially wide or deep tangents unless your patient just had crazy favorable anatomy.

To keep that mean below 4 often in my experience you have to accept 45 Gy (in 25 fractions) covering IM's, not full 50 Gy.

Last edited:
I just want to say, conversations like this, where we are talking about Rad Onc actual practice, reminds me how much I love our field. Reminds me of the old days on SDN where we'd talk about cases etc in between "Will I match?!" threads.

DIBH really helps in my experience.

Especially if an older patient and/or they've had contralateral mastectomy, allowing contralateral "breast" to get more dose helps as well, so don't constrain that too much.

Obviously planner can put in optimization objectives the PTV-eval (carving out lung, heart, etc).

I will say in really challenging cases I've seen better proton plans, especially on patients with some element of pectus. I definitely see more skin reaction though and plastics in my area doesn't like protons for reconstruction.

I'm sorry, but MHD of 6-8? Routinely? Consider static IMRT or vectoring out beam angle that puts dose into the heart. Standard IMN contours should end ABOVE the heart in vast majority of cases unless gross IMN disease and you're treating farther down. If not, take a close look at the heart contour.

I would not accept a MHD of > 4Gy in (almost) any breast plan with or without IMRT short of like gross IMN disease coplanar with the heart or a medial invasion of the chestwall which was unresected. My dosi prefers to do step and shoot IMRT to pick the beam angles rather than VMAT. Last MHD for L-sided CW (no BH as patient couldn't tolerate) was 3.7Gy. I think if you're hovering in the 3-4Gy that's probably reasonable for IMRT with a goal being < 3Gy.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm sorry, but MHD of 6-8? Routinely? Consider static IMRT or vectoring out beam angle that puts dose into the heart. Standard IMN contours should end ABOVE the heart in vast majority of cases unless gross IMN disease and you're treating farther down. If not, take a close look at the heart contour.

I would not accept a MHD of > 4Gy in (almost) any breast plan with or without IMRT short of like gross IMN disease coplanar with the heart or a medial invasion of the chestwall which was unresected. My dosi prefers to do step and shoot IMRT to pick the beam angles rather than VMAT. Last MHD for L-sided CW (no BH as patient couldn't tolerate) was 3.7Gy. I think if you're hovering in the 3-4Gy that's probably reasonable for IMRT with a goal being < 3Gy.

Also depends on how you are contouring the heart. Are you going all the way up to the pulmonary vessels and including the pericardium?

Meeting 4 is tough in many cases even with breath hold when treating with arcs and covering IMNs. But I can almost always get 5-6. Don't think I've ever had to accept 8.

Why are we covering IMNs again? Just to play chicken with heart doses and never affect OS? We could take our entire clinical experiences in this thread after having treated thousands of breast cancer patients and I’d be surprised if we could account for more than five witnessed isolated IMN failures in our total careers. Because that’s what we’re doing right… just preventing LR recurrence?

• Love
Why are we covering IMNs again? Just to play chicken with heart doses and never affect OS? We could take our entire clinical experiences in this thread after having treated thousands of breast cancer patients and I’d be surprised if we could account for more than five witnessed isolated IMN failures in our total careers. Because that’s what we’re doing right… just preventing LR recurrence?

I'll just say I think it is very wise to accept poor IMN coverage to spare heart in many many cases. Especially in the era of really good drugs and really good pre-treatment MRI images which dont show up front IMN involvement.

Digging this up again for this old discussion

6B17F04D-143B-406F-BA13-41A0CE9D0B67.jpeg

• Haha
Also depends on how you are contouring the heart. Are you going all the way up to the pulmonary vessels and including the pericardium?

Meeting 4 is tough in many cases even with breath hold when treating with arcs and covering IMNs. But I can almost always get 5-6. Don't think I've ever had to accept 8.
Again, covering top 3 intercostal spaces (to the top of the 4th rib) is ABOVE the heart.

Just stop treating with arcs and you'll be able to get lower MHD. You're not pushing out of the heart as much as you think you are.

For those who ARE treating with arcs (bat signal to @Palex80) and getting MHD < 4Gy, carry on. But if you're routinely accepting plans that break RTOG constraints (which are already incredibly lax compared to institutional constraints in mostly every other disease site) routinely for breast cancer, IMO, it should be worth a long look to see if you are actually doing something truly better or not.

I think I made that. Man, it is really good.

*shrugs* i still treat IM nodes a fair amount. I'm so middling.
Thanks. I had forgotten who had originally did it up, and it found its way into my memes folder. It’s a classic

So, if not treating with IMRT, how do you cover IM? What technique do you prefer?

Last edited:
Just wide

I presume you are accepting underdosage in the IM-PTV then? Otherwise you may end up with a quite high lung volume getting the full dose?

I presume you are accepting underdosage in the IM-PTV then? Otherwise you may end up with a quite high lung volume getting the full dose?
I think I'm like many folks who will open tangents superiorly to cover first 3 intercostal interspaces for IM nodes with trimming inferiorly. Will also sim flat and push ISO as superiorly as reasonable to reduce lung dose from Sclav. Coverage to 45 or even 40 Gy often accepted.

Matched electron was one of those things that I learned in residency and then I had some real skin toxicity in the real world that I never wanted to cause again. Matched photon will blow up heart dose, which we emphasize more now than 15 years ago.

I have used IMRT for left sided breast/CW with RNI. The coverage recs per these protocols aren't much more than what I described above. A lot of allowing 90% of volume to get prescription dose. Sometimes necessary for heart/lung dose but rarely and always a compromise IMO regarding contralateral breast dose and integrated dose.

I think I'm like many folks who will open tangents superiorly to cover first 3 intercostal interspaces for IM nodes with trimming inferiorly. Will also sim flat and push ISO as superiorly as reasonable to reduce lung dose from Sclav. Coverage to 45 or even 40 Gy often accepted.

Matched electron was one of those things that I learned in residency and then I had some real skin toxicity in the real world that I never wanted to cause again. Matched photon will blow up heart dose, which we emphasize more now than 15 years ago.

I have used IMRT for left sided breast/CW with RNI. The coverage recs per these protocols aren't much more than what I described above. A lot of allowing 90% of volume to get prescription dose. Sometimes necessary for heart/lung dose but rarely and always a compromise IMO regarding contralateral breast dose and integrated dose.
This may have already been mentioned but I think ma20 allowed imn to be covered by 80% idl
Definitely helps keep the lung and heart lower to not push the optimizer to full coverage