IMRT/VMAT breast/CW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radoncle

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that Astro has removed the IMRT for breast from the choosing wisely list, I was wondering if people have been using VMAT for left chest wall or IMRT for left breast in general? Pros and cons? I’ve heard the argument that low dose lung dose is a little higher with VMAT plans for chest wall. But proponents seem to say plans are better overall in some cases. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I like vmat for treating the nodes. Quality of breast vmat is very dependent on dosimetrist experience and skill level. You can produce very bad plans. Arcs must be setup properly with proper avoidance sectors.

Reactions: 4 users
How coincidental, I just simulated 2 left breast/RNI patients yesterday and decided to go with VMAT from the get go. I have used it sparingly in the past for unfavorable anatomy, but I'm becoming more open to using it routinely. I know @Palex80 does it often, I messaged him for constraints since the typical 3D constraints (contralateral breast max of 3Gy) don't always apply.

This is the protocol he linked me to, for those wondering (appendix 6 for RT information)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you doing DIBH with IMRT? We're not going to move forward with IMRT for DIBH until we get surface tracking. In our experience not every patient can reliably reproduce their inspiratory trace.

Reactions: 3 users
Are you doing DIBH with IMRT? We're not going to move forward with IMRT for DIBH until we get surface tracking. In our experience not every patient can reliably reproduce their inspiratory trace.
There are cheaper solutions than surface tracking that you can implement very quickly in order to carry out DIBH-RT.

For instance:

Reactions: 1 user
We use DIBH and surface tracking. Even on right sided cases, DIBH can give you a little more room on the IMN.

I do arcs for everything rni with dibh, left and right. Even had a right sided approved with optum on p2p as the lung v18 wasn't met. I use rt-charm and b51 for constraints depending on what I'm doing. Never have issues meeting them.

Reactions: 6 users
We definitely have more comfort with the surface guidance.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess not much per se, but if no worry free breathing, why a worry with dibh? It seems like a shell game either way.
I would imagine the worry with DIBH is simply reproducibility from sim to table, and day-to-day; whether one were using IMRT or not, reproducibility is going to always be a worry if you put patient in “unnatural” positions eg like a breath hold.

I would imagine the worry with DIBH is simply reproducibility from sim to table, and day-to-day; whether one were using IMRT or not, reproducibility is going to always be a worry if you put patient in “unnatural” positions eg like a breath hold.
We do a daily cone beam fwiw. Also re free breathing and arcs, I know people are making the comparison to lung. However, in lung, we do 4D scans to eval target motion, and can make asymmetric expansions, etc to account for it. We can't or don't do either in RNI. I'm already uncomfortable enough with a PTV_Eval (for instance, I crop in from the skin less in TN), but the concept of a PTV in free breathing breast arcs is a lot of looking the other way as far as I'm concerned. In the end, though, it's breast and it's probably fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
We do a daily cone beam fwiw. Also re free breathing and arcs, I know people are making the comparison to lung. However, in lung, we do 4D scans to eval target motion, and can make asymmetric expansions, etc to account for it. We can't or don't do either in RNI. I'm already uncomfortable enough with a PTV_Eval (for instance, I crop in from the skin less in TN), but the concept of a PTV in free breathing breast arcs is a lot of looking the other way as far as I'm concerned. In the end, though, it's breast and it's probably fine.

I sometimes will get a 4D scan on RNI patients as well to get a better sense of any motion issues that need to be accounted for.

One thing you mention piques my interest. Why do crop less from skin in TNBC? Is there any data to support that practice/more skin relapses in TNBC?

I only ask because I had a skin relapse in someone who was T1N0 TNBC a few months back where I had used more high energy beams. Chalked up to bad disease (it is/was) but curious to hear your thoughts.

One thing you mention piques my interest. Why do crop less from skin in TNBC? Is there any data to support that practice/more skin relapses in TNBC?

I only ask because I had a skin relapse in someone who was T1N0 TNBC a few months back where I had used more high energy beams. Chalked up to bad disease (it is/was) but curious to hear your thoughts.
No reason I can explain other than the standard decision to err on the side of less-conservative with TN. Some of the trials I rely on allow for cropping of 2-5 mm for PMRT, so I do some of both. Fwiw, I generally just do 5 mm when doing WBRT, and I can't say any of this would've impacted your case, or impacts anything.

Reactions: 2 users
No reason I can explain other than the standard decision to err on the side of less-conservative with TN. Some of the trials I rely on allow for cropping of 2-5 mm for PMRT, so I do some of both. Fwiw, I generally just do 5 mm when doing WBRT, and I can't say any of this would've impacted your case, or impacts anything.
Totally. I usually use 5mm as well with the exception of skin involvement, obvious glandular tissue in that range, etc. I think it was just bad disease, but one never knows for sure. Thanks for your thoughts.

When using VMAT/IMRT for PMRT, how do you handle bolus? We typically use bolus in all PMRT patients, but not sure of the clinical utility. On a similar note, we have stopped routinely doing scar boost.

When using VMAT/IMRT for PMRT, how do you handle bolus? We typically use bolus in all PMRT patients, but not sure of the clinical utility. On a similar note, we have stopped routinely doing scar boost.
We’ll throw it on for skin invasion, inflammatory, etc. We add it after sim, either with 5mm super flan or wax if tricky anatomy. We’ve shied away from bolus for most routine cases now though

Every other day for first 2 weeks in routine PMRT cases - have not changed for VMAT. Stole that from Mednet. Additional toxicity minimal and seemed like a good inbetween in a world of sucky breast data. Things like positive margin, inflammatory, gross disease, obviously will change thinking.

Not being antagonistic here, but how do you account for it? Contour on the MIP?

MIP works OK for chest wall extent outward. Also nice to be able to delineate cardiac PRV's using full 4D scans for planning. Most of the time outside the OAR PRV though it is more of a sanity check to make me feel better that I won't be missing any targets during normal breathing.

Just make sure you're not overdosing the heart with the switch to IMRT. However you want to do it is fine. Lots of ways to skin the cat. I imagine not accounting for CW motion likely not a huge deal. If anxious you can do IMRT + Flash.

for PMRT - The use of 6MV and increased tangential beams especially with arcs would mean unlikely to require any bolus (already no need for bolus for routine PMRT cases)

Re overdosing the heart, I'm always left to wonder if it's mean heart dose or LAD dose that matters. Perhaps there's been a decision on this, but I'm too lazy to search. In any case, I really haven't seen much difference in mean heart dose with IMRT vs tangents, but perhaps its the planner. OTOH, LAD constraints are clearly more easily met with IMRT.

Curious what dosimetric benefit people are seeing with VMAT vs 3D Conformal for the majority of cases? I have used VMAT here and there for barrel chested cases when treating IMNs but have otherwise been able to meet B51 coverage goals with 3D.

Re overdosing the heart, I'm always left to wonder if it's mean heart dose or LAD dose that matters. Perhaps there's been a decision on this, but I'm too lazy to search. In any case, I really haven't seen much difference in mean heart dose with IMRT vs tangents, but perhaps its the planner. OTOH, LAD constraints are clearly more easily met with IMRT.

I think we are still all recovering from Darby but it seems a few are relentlessly closing in on a decision! :)

Weird that MHD doesn’t track well with LAD
I would guess there are probably independent toxicities: CAD, arrhythmia, pericarditis, CHF, ?immunosuppression -each likely has an avoidance structure and relevant DVH metric. CAD -obvious. Arrhythmia -anecdotally, afib seems more common with treating near the base of the atria. Pericarditis -probably a high dose to the surface. CHF/immunosuppression-would guess something like MHD

most guidelines say “never” use bolus anymore right?
Precisely.
We only use bolus for inflammatory or the rare skin involvement cases (and in the later we put the bolus only around the scar).

I’m not sure if I ever mentioned this or not but breast is the worst! We’ve been having an internal debate on the use of bolus for routine chest wall coverage and so far, no conclusions, just a lot of wasted time and more confusion. It joins the list of boost or no boost, 15 vs 16 vs 5 for hypofx, whole vs partial and the what to do with 1 positive lymph node patients regarding regional nodal RT.

Between 5 different rad oncs, there are 573 ways to treat the same patient (quick back of the envelope calculation).

Last edited:
I’m not sure if I ever mentioned this or not but breast is the worst! We’ve been having an internal debate on the use of bolus for routine chest wall coverage and so far, no conclusions, just a lot of wasted time and more confusion. It joins the list of boost or no boost, 15 vs 16 vs 5 for hypofx, whole vs partial and the what to do with 1 positive lymph node patients regarding regional nodal RT.

Between 5 different rad oncs, there are 573 ways to treat the same patient (quick back of the envelope calculation).
Why you guys all want to do same way? Efficiency for planners and physics ?

I think there should be just one way, but doctors are … interesting … so, I think easier to give large berth of standard of care options so people have sense of autonomy.

Why you guys all want to do same way? Efficiency for planners and physics ?

I think there should be just one way, but doctors are … interesting … so, I think easier to give large berth of standard of care options so people have sense of autonomy.
In a large dept such as ours, there’s something to be said about process safety with standardization. That’s something I do buy into.

In a large dept such as ours, there’s something to be said about process safety with standardization. That’s something I do buy into.
Hard to make it work... Some people do sequential, some so dose painting, some like 60 for stage 3 lung, some like to do a little higher etc

There are variations in practice and then there is bad practice.

70/63/56 single plan dose painting vs 70/60/50 sequential vs 70/50 sequential in H&N RT - variation in practice. 60Gy to HPV- gross disease in a routine case? Bad practice.

60Gy vs 66Gy? Variation in practice. 74Gy to PTV in 2022? Bad practice.

Having a 'standardized' way is how you end up with criticism of 'the MD Anderson way', which most of the time isn't even like the 'most correct' way of doing something (say Pulse-dose rate brachy for gyn)

• Love
I haven't had my dosimetrists try this as they're too busy/remote, but I've been wondering something. In looking at getting breast imrt approved, it's essentially always approved if treating imns. I wonder which would be a better plan from acute and chronic tox pov in regional nodal rt, arcs with imns or 3/4 field 3d without. Especially if using 90% covers 80.

I'm actually wondering if treating imns would be less toxic...

Breast is THE WORST.

We just had this discussion as a group and all were completely happy to forgo bolus. It's really hard to make a data driven argument for using it outside of skin involvement. On this point (IMO), it does help the therapists, dosi/physics especially if you don't place the bolus at sim. Very easy mistake to make.

Now, we're caught up in "what is breast IMRT". It is so hard to even discuss this without sounding like a crazy person. Thanks ASTRO!

Breast is THE WORST.

We just had this discussion as a group and all were completely happy to forgo bolus. It's really hard to make a data driven argument for using it outside of skin involvement. On this point (IMO), it does help the therapists, dosi/physics especially if you don't place the bolus at sim. Very easy mistake to make.

Now, we're caught up in "what is breast IMRT". It is so hard to even discuss this without sounding like a crazy person. Thanks ASTRO!
What is the data driven argument for using it with skin involvement? :)

• Care
The p value of bolus touching the skin versus not touching the skin when you have T4d disease is p less than 1 over number of sand grains on the beach

• Haha

Lol, I wish I had that problem because speaking from experience, it could be worse. Physics at my practice is adamant that we absolutely cannot do VMAT for ANY breast case because “lack of flash” and that it must be step and shoot IMRT. We also port every field in said step and shoot plan so exponentially increases table time.

It’s an absolute struggle, among many, but at this point I just keep my head down and move on, because I realized I’m fighting a losing battle(s).

Reading these comments about so many folks doing VMAT is even more discouraging though lol

Lol, I wish I had that problem because speaking from experience, it could be worse. Physics at my practice is adamant that we absolutely cannot do VMAT for ANY breast case because “lack of flash” and that it must be step and shoot IMRT. We also port every field in said step and shoot plan so exponentially increases table time.

It’s an absolute struggle, among many, but at this point I just keep my head down and move on, because I realized I’m fighting a losing battle(s).

Reading these comments about so many folks doing VMAT is even more discouraging though lol
This is ridiculous !

Lack of flash is a legit concern. Tight immobilization is inherently difficult in breast Ca

Lack of flash is a legit concern. Tight immobilization is inherently difficult in breast Ca

It’s one thing to know it’s a concern, which I get and am not trying to minimize it as a nonissue because I’m FAR from an expert in the matter. What I do know is there ARE centers who do it (both powerhouses as well as smaller community centers who have the same equipment/tech we have) and clearly found solutions to this issue.

That’s where my problem is, the fact that they’re not even open to assessing how these centers are doing it and being so quick to dismiss it all. And I get part of it is being understaffed and overworked but that’s no excuse to being so rigid in one’s thinking that it becomes prohibitive to good patient care.

And just to be clear, this is only one of the many issues and honestly falls far down on my “battles to take on” list given how infrequently we treat IMRT breast but if the patient could potentially benefit from a tx modality that we already have, then isn’t it OUR (physicians, physics, dosi, therapist, nursing etc) job as a department to at least look further into the matter rather than just blowing it off? when we have a challenging patient situation, be it socially, financially, medically, physically whatever, do we just tell them to kick rocks in the wind? No, we try to find a solution, even if it takes more work and 99.9% of the time it does take more work. I feel that’s our duty but maybe I’m just naive to this ****.

Oh and we also use the same vaclok immobilization for our breast pts as we do for any thoracic VMAT case unless it’s true SBRT as we don’t have a breast board

It’s one thing to know it’s a concern, which I get and am not trying to minimize it as a nonissue because I’m FAR from an expert in the matter. What I do know is there ARE centers who do it (both powerhouses as well as smaller community centers who have the same equipment/tech we have) and clearly found solutions to this issue.

That’s where my problem is, the fact that they’re not even open to assessing how these centers are doing it and being so quick to dismiss it all. And I get part of it is being understaffed and overworked but that’s no excuse to being so rigid in one’s thinking that it becomes prohibitive to good patient care.

And just to be clear, this is only one of the many issues and honestly falls far down on my “battles to take on” list given how infrequently we treat IMRT breast but if the patient could potentially benefit from a tx modality that we already have, then isn’t it OUR (physicians, physics, dosi, therapist, nursing etc) job as a department to at least look further into the matter rather than just blowing it off? when we have a challenging patient situation, be it socially, financially, medically, physically whatever, do we just tell them to kick rocks in the wind? No, we try to find a solution, even if it takes more work and 99.9% of the time it does take more work. I feel that’s our duty but maybe I’m just naive to this ****.

This is a very similar discussion of the pearls that were clutched the first time I did VMAT Flash for a vulvar case rather than an enface electron 'boost' with my own physics department.

You can do VMAT Flash. Anywhere. Pretty easily. Here's a 3 second google search that tells you exactly how to do it in breast cancer: Dosimetric comparison of VMAT with integrated skin flash to 3D field‐in‐field tangents for left breast irradiation
Oh and we also use the same vaclok immobilization for our breast pts as we do for any thoracic VMAT case unless it’s true SBRT as we don’t have a breast board

I am clutching my pearls RIGHT NOW that you aren't inclining with a breast board when treating breast cancer! What if a pendulous breast in a patient laying flat on her back flops up into the patient's chin!

So many choices, so many trials, doing so many different things.. honestly, I bet at the end we find out for PMRT we could just radiate around the scar and.. for those with real nodal involvement (before or after chemo) XRT to the RNI will be sufficient.

I mean, we went from whole breast high tangents to PBI in selected patients, then changed the selection criteria to be more inclusive etc etc.

Oh FLASH, where art thou? The true ULTRA APM beckons..

Just saw a themednet email where leaders were asked about takeaways from ASTRO, and a couple who's opinion I value mentioned RTOG 1005, or IMRT for whole breast with SIB. Even used the SOC phrase. Anybody gonna start doing this? Also, insurance approval will be tough.

I have done SIB for some breast patients but only those I can use electrons for the integrated boost. I have tried on a few getting an SIB with IMRT/VMAT and I have not been impressed with how those plans have turned out. If anyone has any tips/tricks for the planning I'd love to have an easier workflow for it

I have done SIB for some breast patients but only those I can use electrons for the integrated boost. I have tried on a few getting an SIB with IMRT/VMAT and I have not been impressed with how those plans have turned out. If anyone has any tips/tricks for the planning I'd love to have an easier workflow for it
Non-coplanar "inverse pyramidal" 4 field photon beam approach works well for the boosting. If 0° gantry (g) and 0° couch (c) are gantry pointing straight down and head of couch pointing at gantry, a 315°c/45°g 315°c/315°g 45°c/45°g 45°c/315°g beam arrangement has been my go-to for nearly two decades. Adjust as necessary to miss things you want to miss, or "translate" the whole shape in space and keep the shape but use different angles, etc. You can also play this as two 90° arcs from 45°->315°g at 45°c and 315°c (hopefully your dosimetrist swings the moving gantry in non-coplanar, non-cranial arcs away from the patient's head... that just makes me more comfortable). Although I can usually almost entirely miss lung with 3/4 of the static beams.

I'm skeptical of getting insurance to approve routine breast IMRT in my area.

evicore is going to say "what constraints are you not able to meet with 3D?" They often don't accept "well, randomized trials shows IMRT better here."

I'm skeptical of getting insurance to approve routine breast IMRT in my area.

evicore is going to say "what constraints are you not able to meet with 3D?" They often don't accept "well, randomized trials shows IMRT better here."
Evicore probs a lost cause

Until NCCN expressly says something like IMRT is preferred for WBRT

But for many other insurances it’s not a lost cause, especially Medicare