BS/MD Dismissal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know that you must be worried and maybe devastated. You might not wholly understand what has gone wrong, though I think the other posters have done a good job at delineating the individual actions that you could have done better. Here's a bit of a personal anecdote in case it helps:

I was horrible at professionalism, communication and all around staying on top of my **** for at least the first two years of college. For an semester I would never go to class, cram things at the last minute and pretty much just panic. I would wait until 4:30pm the day that a major form is due to contact my dean for her signature. I wasted my advisor's time--the chair of a major department at a top tier school--talking about romantic dilemmas. I asked a prof for a recommendation letter and then never contacted him again, because I couldn't get my **** together to write a thank-you note--I literally had a reminder go off every day for about 4 months until I just gave up on it one day and turned it off. I hope he doesn't remember me. I would reach out to professors and then never follow up, because I was unjustifiably intimidated. My school and other responsibilities devolved into a vicious cycle of anxiety--I didn't even have that much work, but I just couldn't bring myself to doing basic things properly.

A BS/MD program would have been horrible for me. It simply took me a while to really understand what I was doing and to know myself well enough to be able to manage my time and responsibilities. When you don't think you have control over a situation, and when you are not confident in what you are doing, it's only natural to get scared, and maybe even become paralyzed in fear. Developing that confidence takes time. If I had gone to medical school prematurely, especially given how hierarchical and criticism-filled medicine can be, I would have snapped. Honestly, if you don't have the confidence to talk to an advisor who isn't even grading you, your mind will literally snap when attendings are quizzing you about every little detail and seemingly questioning your value as a human being. As a medical student you will literally have a decade of being surrounded by authority figures, and if they scare you, you won't make it. The school's hesitation to let you proceed is not an act of unfairness, but an assessment of whether or not you are ready for medical school.

For me, the best way was to back off on my expectations for myself and to take my responsibilities one step at a time. I'm sure you'll figure out your own best way, so that one day, when someone wants to interview you or talk about your progress, you'll be able to tell them exactly what you've done and what you need to do without being insecure or scared of their judgment. And then if they are a critical dingus, you'll know it--and then maybe you'll be a little angry and sad and take other steps, but it wouldn't scare you, because you'll have the confidence and maturity to deal with that situation. It might take you a little longer, but being in medical school when you are ready will be a blessing compared to the hell that it could be otherwise.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Reddoggie, I don't think the central issue here is whether you are dismissed from the program or not. It may feel like it right now, but as others have noted, you will be able to go to medical school either way. So the ability to become a doctor is not at stake here.

The larger issue is your inability to meet with your advisors even though you were aware it was a requirement of the program. That's very concerning. Hopefully it's a maturity issue, in which case you can just tell yourself to grow up and snap out of it. Everyone did stupid things when they were 20, and this will be one of yours.

But, based on your posts here and your letter, it honestly it sounds like something much larger than that. I think you really need to get to a counselor and figure out why it's so hard for you to make those appointments and work on fixing that issue. It's normal to be nervous when meeting with authority figures; it's not normal to be paralyzed. The fact that you were indicates a deeper issue that none of us here are qualified to diagnose.

In a way, the school might be doing you a favor by uncovering this issue before it ruined you professionally. This is a rather contrived example, I know, but what if you were an ER doc and some important person came in for treatment? Would you be unable to treat that person? The point is you need to learn how to deal with these things before becoming a doctor, so your undergrad years are a perfect time to work on that.

I just didn't think would happen. I didn't think that there could be unfairness in every sphere of my life. I reasoned that this was a gift for the tolerating previous crappy circumstances. But you never know, my appeal might be successful. The medical school is known for being a student oriented, lenient medical school.

While I am sorry you were dismissed and hope that you'll be reinstated, there was no unfairness here. You entered this program knowing what was required of you, and that there would be consequences for not meeting those requirements. What did you think would happen if you didn't hold up your end of the bargain?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just didn't think would happen. I didn't think that there could be unfairness in every sphere of my life.
Did you process none of the previous replies? It's not unfair to get dismissed for failing to meet clearly stated requirements. That's to be EXPECTED.
You have a lot of growing up to do. Maybe this experience will give you some perspective on responsible behavior and actions.
I would think if it was good news, your faculty mentor who you've been dodging would call/email and let you off the hook. Maybe a formal letter had to go out.

Reactions: 6 users
The person who would've told me about it was probably in the meeting that they had which ran to the end of the day. I doubt she would've called me at that time.

All he had to do is meet with his adviser for pre-mandated meetings. Nothing time-intensive about it. It's a professionalism issue, which is why it is taken seriously.
Can this person follow directions, do things on time, and carry out certain responsibilities? Yes or No.

Well, I can't speak to his situation, but in my field, yes. It takes time to sit down and go over things and follow through--and not just for the student--or the hc employee, but for the other party. That's often part of the problem in my field. People get caught up in their "stuff," and the other person's "stuff" is down low on their priority list. That's why at times you have to really keep on it; b/c people have their own stuff. And yes, that is the professionalism issue--and it goes both ways. Certainly as the OP blew it off, it ultimately is on the OP. A life/work lesson there. It is what it is, they say. But people can be tough to nail down in terms of times to meet. As I said, your priority is not necessarily theirs--it's just another chore they have to do many times. Most people aren't psyched about doing evals, and some are creepy in that they want to see the other person sweat--which is some kind of character flaw on their part many times. Ah, if only life and people were perfect; but as I said. The reality is what it is. Yes. Scheduling and meeting with people can be time-intensive, if it's not a priority for the other party--advisor in this case. How many times did the advisor reach out to the OP? Doesn't matter if you say this is an adult issue. The requirements for the meeting involved two parties meeting--not one party meeting with himself. But since, once more, other people aren't really caring that much about the other party, it will fall on the advisee/student. And I don't mean that the advisor should be chasing him down or emailing/phoning him to death. I mean a few reminder emails and calls with the word mandatory would have been a good thing for the advisor to do. And advisor is in a leadership position. It's on the student, but the advisor may not have reached out either. So tough crap then? Way it goes! No that is part of the problem with leadership and teaching and "mentorship" in this country.

And the kid is young. I am not excusing him; but he will learn from this, hopefully. There is no need to belittle or berate him. We were all 19 once, and we have all been less than mature when we were younger. Balance people. Balance.

Last edited:
Well, I can't speak to his situation, but in my field, yes. It takes time to sit down and go over things and follow through--and not just for the student--or the hc employee, but for the other party. That's often part of the problem in my field. People get caught up in their "stuff," and the other person's "stuff" is down low on their priority list. That's why at times you have to really keep on it; b/c people have their own stuff. And yes, that is the professionalism issue--and it goes both ways. Certainly as the OP blew it off, it ultimately is on the OP. A life/work lesson there. It is what it is, they say. But people can be tough to nail down in terms of times to meet. As I said, your priority is not necessarily theirs--it's just another chore they have to do many times. Most people aren't psyched about doing evals, and some of the ones that are creepy in that they want to see the other person sweat--which is some kind of character flaw on their part many times. Ah, if only life and people were perfect; but as I said. The reality is what it is.
Again, correct me if I'm wrong but the OP is in a BS/MD program, in which he was given the ability to enter medical school without having to worry about keeping up his GPA to med school admissions levels, without having to do the tons of medical extracurriculars and CV building and hoop jumping that premeds have to do, without having to take the MCAT. Part of the deal is that you meet with an academic adviser at a university to discuss your progress in the program so that you aren't lost in the system. Their life is working in the academic/university sector. The requirement is on the side of the administration of the program. The meeting was for the OP's benefit, and he chooses not to go. These meetings are not scheduled the next week, they're scheduled months in advance. And he was likely WARNED about this previously.

Work at a firm, and blow off meetings with your boss? You're fired. Don't show up to work on time at a fast food joint? You're fired.

Reactions: 5 users
By the way poster. . .sadly, there is A LOT that is unfair in many ways in life. Not saying what happened to you was necessarily unfair. But not everyone is warm and fuzzy and gracious or generous with their time or whatever. In fact, sadly, many people aren't this way. Doesn't mean you can't try to be in the future. Unless it was stated that the meetings were mere suggestions, yes. It will go back to you. And you may have to be the one sending emails and f/u emails when you can't get the other party to nail down a time with you--b/c it is something they will just put back on you.
Again, correct me if I'm wrong but the OP is in a BS/MD program, in which he was given the ability to enter medical school without having to worry about keeping up his GPA to med school admissions levels, without having to do the tons of medical extracurriculars and CV building and hoop jumping that premeds have to do, without having to take the MCAT. Part of the deal is that you meet with an academic adviser at a university to discuss your progress in the program so that you aren't lost in the system. Their life is working in the academic/university sector. The requirement is on the side of the administration of the program. The meeting was for the OP's benefit, and he chooses not to go. These meetings are not scheduled the next week, they're scheduled months in advance. And he was likely WARNED about this previously.

Work at a firm, and blow off meetings with your boss? You're fired. Don't show up to work on time at a fast food joint? You're fired.

I won't argue with you, but I will bet my last dollar that I have been working in the "real world" longer than you have, and specifically in HC. I KNOW exactly what you mean and never contradicted it.

I don't know if the advisor did his/her due diligence either. Maybe they did. Maybe not. I KNOW it is on the OP. I stated that. But for God's sake, let's try to be a little balanced here. People aren't meeting to meet with themselves. I don't know jack about the advisor. The kid is 19. If you were always perfectly on top of everything at 19, well praise God and pass the Swiss cheese. As, again, I have stated in my revised, prior response, he will learn. You don't kick people's faces in crap repeatedly. This doesn't even work with training dogs. Balance and understanding are maturity issues too. And that still takes nothing away from the OP's level of responsibility here.

Wow. Balance. . .perspective.

Reactions: 1 user
OP removed his posts. Guess he didn't like the advice he was getting.

I won't argue with you, but I will bet my last dollar that I have been working in the "real world" longer than you have, and specifically in HC. I KNOW exactly what you mean and never contradicted it.

I don't know if the advisor did his/her due diligence either. Maybe they did. Maybe not. I KNOW it is on the OP. I stated that. But for God's sake, let's try to be a little balanced here. People aren't meeting to meet with themselves. I don't know jack about the advisor. The kid is 19. If you were always perfectly on top of everything at 19, well praise God and pass the Swiss cheese. As, again, I have stated in my revised, prior response, he will learn. You don't kick people's faces in crap repeatedly. This doesn't even work with training dogs. Balance and understanding are maturity issues too. And that still takes nothing away from the OP's level of responsibility here.

Wow. Balance. . .perspective.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're not understanding. Meeting with a university academic advisor (or more likely someone who deals directly with BS/MD students so it may even be with a faculty member at the med school who is assigned to BS/MD students) ONCE per semester is the requirement. It was well-known to the OP and the meeting most likely was FOR HIS OWN BENEFIT. This isn't kicking "people's faces in crap". He was likely warned about this, repeatedly, since it took nearly 2 years for this finally to happen. I guarantee this wasn't based off of not scheduling 1 meeting.

You're not understanding. Meeting with a university academic advisor (or more likely someone who deals directly with BS/MD students so it may even be with a faculty member at the med school who is assigned to BS/MD students) ONCE per semester is the requirement. It was well-known to the OP and the meeting most likely was FOR HIS OWN BENEFIT. This isn't kicking "people's faces in crap". He was likely warned about this, repeatedly, since it took nearly 2 years for this finally to happen. I guarantee this wasn't based off of not scheduling 1 meeting.

" Well there is no stipulation in the program about how many times I can take my MCAT, and I've done worse things ie drop a class without speaking with the school of medicine and have not been kicked out.

Also I lived in an apartment with horrible noise for 6 months that usually limited my sleep to 6 hours or so and I feel like that decreased my IQ ~10 points. Maybe I was 'smart' before but it's disappeared.

Also the program I am in is not as competitive as other BS/MDs as in it was limited to in state residents and more specifically in state residents from rural areas.

Thanks for the input"

Quoted from one of his posts, looks like he had prior issues with rules.

" Well there is no stipulation in the program about how many times I can take my MCAT, and I've done worse things ie drop a class without speaking with the school of medicine and have not been kicked out.

Also I lived in an apartment with horrible noise for 6 months that usually limited my sleep to 6 hours or so and I feel like that decreased my IQ ~10 points. Maybe I was 'smart' before but it's disappeared.

Also the program I am in is not as competitive as other BS/MDs as in it was limited to in state residents and more specifically in state residents from rural areas.

Thanks for the input"

Yeah, so then I'm not at all shocked when it's failure to follow instructions in multiple areas, not just this one advisor meeting thing. This is a pattern of behavior and I guarantee he was repeatedly warned. You'll be asked to do a lot of **** in college, in med school, in residency, etc. like this. It never ends in just college.

Thanks for the input"

Lol god forbid you get 6 hours of sleep.

Someone has some growing up to do.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That issue with the rules was already forgiven, and I retook that course and earned an A, that's a moot point now.

Also, I did meet with the adviser and had several phone calls.

And, I requested a meeting in September, the adviser said, "I don't see the point." since I was leaning towards a liberal arts major. I should've seen the red flags there. But I was oblivious. Anyways, I've learned a lot from this.

Derm, by constantly and repeatedly beating down the issue, yes. It's kicking his face in his own crap. You've made your point. The consensus, which includes me, agrees with you. Whatever you think you know w/ your all-seeing eye, may or may NOT be true. What are you looking to do here? Nail him to a cross? He will have to bear the consequences and hopefully will learn.

We all must learn about the many hoops through which we must jump in life. He is not the exception. This is, what is called, "A teachable moment." There is nothing wrong with having teaching moments. The only problem is when we don't learn from them--it's like the sorrow was wasted.

So, this has nothing to do with my comprehension or even yours. At this point, it has to do with having insight and wisdom. He will learn. He doesn't need to be beaten by others re: his own mistakes. Let's encourage him to grow. Really that's the best any of us can do. No?

Last edited:
Derm, by constantly and repeatedly beating down the issue, yes. It's kicking his face in his own crap. You've made your point. The consensus, which includes me, agrees with you. Whatever you think you know w/ your all-seeing eye, may or may NOT be true. What are you looking to do here? Nail him to a cross? He will have to bear the consequences and hopefully will learn.

We all must learn about the many hoops through which we must jump in life. He is not the exception. This is, what is called, "A teachable moment." There is nothing wrong with having teaching moments. The only problem is when we don't learn from them--it's like the sorrow was wasted.

So, this has nothing to do with my comprehension or even yours. At this point, it has to do with having insight and wisdom. He will learn. He doesn't need to be beaten by others re: his own mistakes. Let's encourage him to grow. Really that's the best any of us can do. No?
Maybe I read wrong, but you were making excuses that somehow his academic advisor wouldn't have time for him, or some other claptrap, bc of your work experience, yada yada. That's nowhere even close to being true - esp. with millenial college students and universities that want to keep the cash flow. In residency, you meet with your program director semi-annually and annually to discuss your progress. The "meetings" don't end. Even when you're an attending doctor, you'll have to attend meettings, which you don't want to go to.

Reactions: 1 users
That issue with the rules was already forgiven, and I retook that course and earned an A, that's a moot point now.

Also, I did meet with the adviser and had several phone calls.

And, I requested a meeting in September, the adviser said, "I don't see the point." since I was leaning towards a liberal arts major. I should've seen the red flags there. But I was oblivious. Anyways, I've learned a lot from this.
So you requested a meeting with your adviser, she said the above, and they're nailing you for not setting up the meeting? Did you mention this?

I didn't write it in the letter, I thought it would be making excuses or something. Because I never followed up after she wrote, "I don't see the point."

Maybe I read wrong, but you were making excuses that somehow his academic advisor wouldn't have time for him, or some other claptrap, bc of your work experience, yada yada. That's nowhere even close to being true - esp. with millenial college students and universities that want to keep the cash flow. In residency, you meet with your program director semi-annually and annually to discuss your progress. The "meetings" don't end. Even when you're an attending doctor, you'll have to attend meettings, which you don't want to go to.

Sir, I am beyond the point in my life where I want to argue just for argument's sake or the need to "be right."

No. It takes two when it comes to arranging a meeting and open communication, and I don't have the luxury of a crystal ball. Perhaps you would be willing to share yours with me. :p

I don't agree with the whole mentality of kicking people b/c "I was kicked" or b/c somehow it has evolved as part of the medical school/medicine culture. It's utter crap. It takes two or more people to schedule and hold meetings. So, no. I don't know if the advisor did his/her due diligence. Either way, it still ends up hurting the student, and that is a shame. But for the final time, I hope, as should we all, that he will learn. No one stays on your stuff. You must stay on top of YOUR stuff. We agree. Let's just try to be understanding and supportive. Healthcare and even medicine needs more of this.

I know that you must be worried and maybe devastated. You might not wholly understand what has gone wrong, though I think the other posters have done a good job at delineating the individual actions that you could have done better. Here's a bit of a personal anecdote in case it helps:

I was horrible at professionalism, communication and all around staying on top of my **** for at least the first two years of college. For an semester I would never go to class, cram things at the last minute and pretty much just panic. I would wait until 4:30pm the day that a major form is due to contact my dean for her signature. I wasted my advisor's time--the chair of a major department at a top tier school--talking about romantic dilemmas. I asked a prof for a recommendation letter and then never contacted him again, because I couldn't get my **** together to write a thank-you note--I literally had a reminder go off every day for about 4 months until I just gave up on it one day and turned it off. I hope he doesn't remember me. I would reach out to professors and then never follow up, because I was unjustifiably intimidated. My school and other responsibilities devolved into a vicious cycle of anxiety--I didn't even have that much work, but I just couldn't bring myself to doing basic things properly.

A BS/MD program would have been horrible for me. It simply took me a while to really understand what I was doing and to know myself well enough to be able to manage my time and responsibilities. When you don't think you have control over a situation, and when you are not confident in what you are doing, it's only natural to get scared, and maybe even become paralyzed in fear. Developing that confidence takes time. If I had gone to medical school prematurely, especially given how hierarchical and criticism-filled medicine can be, I would have snapped. Honestly, if you don't have the confidence to talk to an advisor who isn't even grading you, your mind will literally snap when attendings are quizzing you about every little detail and seemingly questioning your value as a human being. As a medical student you will literally have a decade of being surrounded by authority figures, and if they scare you, you won't make it. The school's hesitation to let you proceed is not an act of unfairness, but an assessment of whether or not you are ready for medical school.

For me, the best way was to back off on my expectations for myself and to take my responsibilities one step at a time. I'm sure you'll figure out your own best way, so that one day, when someone wants to interview you or talk about your progress, you'll be able to tell them exactly what you've done and what you need to do without being insecure or scared of their judgment. And then if they are a critical dingus, you'll know it--and then maybe you'll be a little angry and sad and take other steps, but it wouldn't scare you, because you'll have the confidence and maturity to deal with that situation. It might take you a little longer, but being in medical school when you are ready will be a blessing compared to the hell that it could be otherwise.

Above was one of the best responses on this thread and perhaps SDN ever. It's realistically supportive, not condescending, judgmental, or hypercritical. This is how you get physicians to start "healing thyself" on the whole.

I didn't write it in the letter, I thought it would be making excuses or something. Because I never followed up after she wrote, "I don't see the point."
So you just let it drop!?!? You just let her say, "I don't see the point" and let it go w/o maybe asking why or an alternative date? Was this just recently - to where maybe it was the last straw for her? Maybe I'm not understanding: Are these just once per semester (so anytime in the semester) in which you meet which you do thru out the undergrad portion of the program? I'm guessing you call or email and set up a mutually available time for the both of you, is that correct?

Yeah, I just let it drop. Idiot, yeah, I just never expected that it would go like this.

Yeah, I just let it drop. Idiot, yeah, I just never expected that it would go like this.
You're not an idiot. I'm just saying you have to stick up for yourself and be more assertive (but respectful) - it's a learned skill but doctors need that skill to advocate for their patients. If you have to have an appointment with someone as a box to check off and that person says I don't have time, then the next question is ok, what specific dates later in the semester are you available? No one's going to bite your head off for doing your job.

It's almost a self-fulfilling prophecy: you get anxious/paralyzed about asking something to authority -> authority gets mad and wonders why you didn't set up the meeting --> you get get in bigger trouble and it just spins out of control.

I am an idiot. I just ruined a 40 year potential career in the span of a couple of months.

I'm not sure why you think you ruined your career? Nothing is stopping you from applying to whatever schools you want, like every other applicant.
Perhaps it will be for the best and you will attend a school that you like even more.

I don't think I'm a realistic traditional applicant.

But I should just shut up and wait for the committee's decision, it might go either way. I don't know. I do know that this medical school is student oriented and known for leniency.

I don't think I'm a realistic traditional applicant.

Why wouldn't you be a realistic applicant? You're young and still early in your college career, you have every potential to be a competitive applicant if you turn things around.

Reactions: 3 users
I am an idiot. I just ruined a 40 year potential career in the span of a couple of months.
No, YOU'RE NOT. First off, very few people even do these infernal BS/MD programs. #2, you are 19/20 years old, so you have many avenues for careers even pursuing medicine the normal route. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but as a rural person, medicine is not a career for the "chosen ones", but it is a career that has higher responsibilities delegated by the public (right or wrong) unlike other careers - banker, dentists, teacher, etc. You haven't destroyed your life, no matter what comes on Monday, as it's not like this is a GPA/promotion issue problem.

Reddoggie979, you need a pep talk. You made a few mistakes here. Either you were immature, OR you have a psychological problem, OR you sent a completely off base letter to your committee. (If the advisor did indeed decline the meeting you suggested, you needed to state that in your letter rather than waxing poetic about how you're not as aloof as you seem...but I digress). All of these are fixable. All of them.

First, I disagree that you're not a "realistic traditional applicant" when you're, I'm assuming, about 19-20 years old and have an acceptable GPA. At this point, that's all you need. If you are dismissed from the program, start putting the pieces of your application together. Start volunteering. Start getting involved with ECs. Start to think about when you might take the MCAT.

Second, if, for some reason that we don't know, you are not a candidate for med school just out of undergrad, this by absolutely no means suggests that you can't be a doctor. I suggest you hop on over to the non-trad forum and look at the acceptances there, including top MD schools. Lots of those people dug themselves into much bigger holes than you are looking at. Additionally, loads and loads of "ideal applicants" take a few years between undergrad and med school, so entering as a 24- or 25-year-old is quite normal (in fact for many schools it is an advantage).

I'm concerned about you, reddoggie. You have your whole life ahead of you, but you don't seem to see this. You can be the most rockin' doctor out there. You can.

I don't want to pretend to be all old and wise 'cause I'm not, but I'm old enough to know that if you ask a lot of adults about their biggest mistakes in life, most would WANT to list something like this as theirs. Everyone screws up. Everyone gets thrown curveballs. It's how we respond to the curveballs that determine who we are as people.

Take a deep breath. Step back. And then put one foot in front of the other and start marching forward again. Feel free to PM me if you want a more specific discussion. I'm rooting for you.

Um, actually it's not "forgiven". It's solved, but technically not forgiven bc it created a problem in terms of your advisor or BS/MD admin not knowing.

Come on guys, my letter wasn't that bad.

But it kinda was. It's a little concerning that you don't see it or at least try to understand where we're coming from.

If they happen to deny your appeal, your future in medicine is not over. Many people have said that in this thread too and you continue to buck them. Take the advice from people who have been through it. If you truly want to be a doctor, there are so many avenues available for doing so. This BS/MD was one avenue, but it's certainly not the only one.

Holy delusion. If it's too difficult for you to meet for 30 minutes with an advisor, how in the world are you capable of being in the program? If you actually had anxiety problems causing it, you'd see a psychiatrist and have it diagnosed. If you don't do that, then it's pretty much inadmissible.

BS/MD people are immature, but not to the point where meeting basic requirements is considered extraordinary.

Okay, discussion over for now. I've really gained insight from all of your remarks here.

Thanks guys.

Come on guys, my letter wasn't that bad.

Actually, it was. And I'm not saying that to put you down, but hopefully you can take the constructive criticism here and improve the way you communicate in the future.

but seriously, how would not be capable of putting together a traditional application?

Okay, discussion over for now. I've really gained insight from all of your remarks here.

Thanks guys.
Please update when you get the decision so you can help future people in this situation, whether it is a good or bad outcome for you.

Red Dog, this forum is a great resource. Use it, and listen to the advice of these people. Don't blow it off. They know a lot more than we do, and it's not the end of the world for you. I'm and undergrad in a BS/MD program too, and I've seen a few of my friends be dismissed for various reasons from the program I'm in or the BS/DO program my school is affiliated with, and the ones that were serious about staying on the pre-med path are all students in other medical schools now. Sure, it was a lot more inconvenient for them than if they had been able to keep their seats, but the point is, they all did it, and I'm sure you can too if you take the advice of the others on this threat and maybe change a thing or two.

Well, I still have hope for being re-admitted. I have a feeling if I was dismissed I would've gotten an e-mail the same day saying my dismissal was upheld.

Well, I still have hope for being re-admitted. I have a feeling if I was dismissed I would've gotten an e-mail the same day saying my dismissal was upheld.

Honestly step away from your keyboard and relax. Whatever happens now happens. Nothing you can do about it. Learn from your mistakes (the ones people here pointed out) and move on. Not being in this program doesn't mean you won't be a doctor.

Decisions like these are done officially by hardcopy, usually not by email.

Whatever happens Reddog, you will move on, if you are strong and determined and willing to learn and grow. I don't condemn you and neither should anyone else. And you shouldn't condemn yourself unless you are unwilling to learn and move onward after this experience. Don't put yourself in a position of wanting to beat yourself up. Get the book, Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error (Kathryn Schulz). We grow and do some amazing things by being wrong, falling short, whatever. Fear of being wrong or making mistakes--and not facing them creates a cycle of avoidance, and we don't see the errors as gifts from which we can closely evaluate ourselves, or even systems, and then grow and improve. It's our fear and mindset about mistakes and being wrong that causes us to hide or ignore errors. You don't have to agree with the author on every, single thing; but she does make excellent points leading to the idea that we need to change how we look at mistakes and errors in the first place.

This is why most BS/MD programs are stupid. Please explain to me how a 17 year old kid could know he wants to go into medicine. Please I'm dying to hear it.
Simple. Their parents want them and thus force them to do it. College ECs, volunteering, and the MCAT are for chumps.

Reactions: 3 users