C/O 2017 Pharmacy School Wait List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

novagwugrl5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! As candidates start hearing from schools (acceptances/rejections), I thought I would start a thread about those in limbo --- The Wait Listed.

I would love to hear back from those who are/were waitlisted - what school? how long until pulled off waitlist? etc...

I just heard back that I am on the Wait/Alternate List at University of Hawaii at Hilo and Howard University.

Any advice on what to do while Wait Listed/Alternate Listed?

Is it appropriate to write a letter of intent, explaining how much you would like to matriculate at a specific school?

Is it okay to keep regular contact with the schools?

Should I just sit back and literally wait?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! As candidates start hearing from schools (acceptances/rejections), I thought I would start a thread about those in limbo --- The Wait Listed.

I would love to hear back from those who are/were waitlisted - what school? how long until pulled off waitlist? etc...

I just heard back that I am on the Wait/Alternate List at University of Hawaii at Hilo and Howard University.

Is it appropriate to write a letter of intent, explaining how much you would like to matriculate at a specific school?

I always tend to plan for the worst. I'm not trying to get you down, but I would take a look at my application to see where I could strengthen it for next year if it comes to that. Maybe even start working on doing some of those things right now (such as looking at other volunteering options, etc). I wouldn't write a letter of intent, normally the school gives you a document like that after you are accepted. You sign it and send it back saying you are planning to go to that school (and will usually include a non-refundable deposit as well). I definitely wouldn't pester the schools with continual contact, but I don't see anything wrong with checking in if you have questions as to their WL process, such as how often they send out updates, etc. Also check out the other school specific forums for those schools and see if anyone else is posting updates there.

I'm waitlisted at Minnesota. My position on the ranked waitlist isn't set at the moment. Hopefully the waitlist will be ranked by May 10. At that point when they need to pull students off the waitlist, they will do so.

This depends on the individual school. Some schools don't want you to bother them, while others don't mind hearing updates on what you've been doing since submitting your application and/or interviewing.

I suggest asking admissions counselors at Howard and Hawaii what their policies are.

Regular contact is okay in moderation. It's good to check in every couple to a few weeks to check the timeline of the decision making processes. It can give you an idea of whether many spots are opening up or not. I personally think calling every two weeks is pushing it. I have a feeling that calling often won't affect your admissions, but the office staff may view your excessive calls as unprofessional.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice everyone. I definitely wasn't trying to be that annoying candidate, but I also just didn't want to sit around if an email or phone call between now and June-ish might keep my application in the running or if at least give me an idea of what their waitlist situation is like.

Good luck to all still waiting. Keep posting as you start hearing from schools :) Hope that they will be good news.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I definitely wasn't trying to be that annoying candidate, but I also just didn't want to sit around if an email or phone call between now and June-ish might keep my application in the running or if at least give me an idea of what their waitlist situation is like.

Good luck to all still waiting. Keep posting as you start hearing from schools :) Hope that they will be good news.

Luckily the school I'm waiting to hear from has been excellent at communicating. I know that I won't even hear my waitlist ranking until May 10. Best of luck!

I am an "alternate" at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science in North, Chicago Il :oops:. They said that the alternates are not ranked and will be re-evaluated when a position becomes open. I am just staying hopeful... :oops:

Luckily the school I'm waiting to hear from has been excellent at communicating. I know that I won't even hear my waitlist ranking until May 10. Best of luck!

Just curious. Did you hear back from them yet? I too also got waitlisted at Minn but my number is so far near the end of the list mad: that I felt so disappointed.

Just curious. Did you hear back from them yet? I too also got waitlisted at Minn but my number is so far near the end of the list mad: that I felt so disappointed.

I actually withdrew my application about a week before the waitlist rankings went out. I realized that Univ. of Maryland was a better fit for me anyway, so I didn't wait to hear from Minnesota. Sorry to hear your waitlist ranking wasn't what you hoped for. :-(

that's ok. But congrats to get into UoM! I notice you're from CA, quite a long way to travel to Maryland, no?

that's ok. But congrats to get into UoM! I notice you're from CA, quite a long way to travel to Maryland, no?

Yep! I'm originally from Texas, though. I really liked Maryland's strong focus on research, dual degree programs, and HIV care. I think Baltimore is a cool city, and I'm excited to move there :)

Reactions: 1 user
Im on the alternate list at Rosalind too, do u mind sharing your stats?

still waitlisted.... getting worried. @USF

any one else feeling the panic starting to set in? august is fast approaching!!...

I got into Rosalind Franklin on Just
Lay the 11th, have you had any luck?

Anyone here on the waitlsit/alternate list for this cycle?

Yes, I am waitlisted at Temple for this application cycle and it is awful :( I put my deposit down ($500) and apparently it is ranked and the letter says not to contact the admissions office but I may in another month. The thing that is bad for me is my PCAT score was not great and I believe the reason I did not get in to the few schools I applied to so I am going to take a prep course end of this month through June and retake the test in July because my acceptance status is up in the air. They say that you may not find out if your accepted possibly like the week before classes start, so I want to be prepared for next years cycle in case I don't get in. Where are you waitlisted at?

Yes, I am waitlisted at Temple for this application cycle and it is awful :( I put my deposit down ($500) and apparently it is ranked and the letter says not to contact the admissions office but I may in another month. The thing that is bad for me is my PCAT score was not great and I believe the reason I did not get in to the few schools I applied to so I am going to take a prep course end of this month through June and retake the test in July because my acceptance status is up in the air. They say that you may not find out if your accepted possibly like the week before classes start, so I want to be prepared for next years cycle in case I don't get in. Where are you waitlisted at?

you have to pay a deposit for being waitlisted ?? this is the 1st time I've heard that. Bad Temples really bad :unsure: :nono::uhno::thumbdown:

Usually, only accepted students need to pay a seat deposit or the acceptance offer will be withdrawn.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes you do. It is refundable if you do not get an offer, but to be honest I was blindsided. I figured it was only going to be like $100 if any and then the letter comes and they want $500 and it doesnt stop there. I also have to order a lab coat by June 15th and have a physical and immunizations by August 1. From other students I talked to on here they said that Temple uses orientation on Aug. 1 to see if everyone who was given an acceptance letter shows up. So apparently there is no deadline to accept until Aug. 1st if you get a letter which is really wierd and messed up for the other people on the waitlist! Ugh! this is ridiculous but the school is really great and so I am just going to be patient and wait :) Did you get waitlisted anywhere and/or have to pay a deposit?

Yes you do. It is refundable if you do not get an offer, but to be honest I was blindsided. I figured it was only going to be like $100 if any and then the letter comes and they want $500 and it doesnt stop there. I also have to order a lab coat by June 15th and have a physical and immunizations by August 1. From other students I talked to on here they said that Temple uses orientation on Aug. 1 to see if everyone who was given an acceptance letter shows up. So apparently there is no deadline to accept until Aug. 1st if you get a letter which is really wierd and messed up for the other people on the waitlist! Ugh! this is ridiculous but the school is really great and so I am just going to be patient and wait :) Did you get waitlisted anywhere and/or have to pay a deposit?

I got in my 1st choice at a top-tier school and also a mid tier school. I got waitlisted at 2 other schools (low-tier) but they did not ask me for any deposit. I have never heard anyone who are waitlisted was asked to pay a deposit and send in immunization record.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to you! Yes I find it a bit odd especially since it seems like this is what they would ask you to do if you were accepted. It makes no sense at all but I will just have to wait and see.

I agree with oldstock. Never heard of that nonsense.

Reactions: 1 users