CA programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surfer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a new poster, but long-time reader!

Can anybody give me some insight into the California programs? UCLA, UCSD, Loma Linda, etc? What are their strengths/weaknesses? Are the residents happy and well-trained?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm a new poster, but long-time reader!

Can anybody give me some insight into the California programs? UCLA, UCSD, Loma Linda, etc? What are their strengths/weaknesses? Are the residents happy and well-trained?

Thanks!!

I have met some of the residents at UCSD, and as a resident I had a rotation there - so I can tell you a little.

The residents work hard and are happy - they are a great bunch of guys. They have more autonomy then any other residency program I am aware of (both my sister and brother are currently residents at programs - so I have that perspective, I have rotated and been at several hospitals with residency programs - so I have that perspective as well.) This autonomy has good and bad - as you can imagine. Most of the staff there are really a bunch of great guys.

You also have some big names in anesthesia - Drummond, Benumof, and others (I bet you have used the Mazzie head rest - invented by a guy over there.) Dr. Ed Mariono is the regional guy and he is phenomenal. Those residents have a great thing to be able to work with him. He was my staff 2 or 3 times when I rotated.

Our department has had several staff from UCSF - from what they say, it is a huge program.

In the end, it probably doesn't matter that much where you go, just work hard, read a lot, and don't get fat! - that's my two cents.

I don't understand what is so appealing about California programs. They can work you 140 hrs/wk, pay you 8K/yr, teach you nothing..... yet they STILL would be the most sought after spots. What is so great about Cali??

Members don't see this ad :)
home2.jpg

and
heavenly-lake-tahoe-view.jpg

Fair enough! Wonder if I can transfer...