California Northstate gains Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
$10 says the next MSAR shows they hit above the national median for MCAT and GPA despite all the cons

****ing California

+90...gotta keep it one-hunnid

Members don't see this ad.

Add in slap-dash admissions process desired to fill a class and start matriculation in a two month time period doesn't inspire confidence

Plus would be that CA applicants wouldn't have to leave CA due to highly competitive applicant pool.

Faculty looks marginal at best, no federal loans, for-profit, and administration is iffy. Some people who have interviewed there have given it a pretty solid thumbs up, but there are also reports that physicians in the area are skeptical (to be kind).

Personally, just given what I've read in this thread, it doesn't sound *too* bad, and I have *some* trust in the LCME not to accredit a total failure.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are Canadians considered foreign for California Northstate?

For reference: I called today and they said Canadians can apply if they have a Green Card. I had to make sure since MSAR said Canadians can apply with no disclaimer.

Classy.

Anyway, you said:

"Pharmacists are NOT trained clinically, especially not in the way we talk about as physicians. Just because they work clinically doesn't translate to clinical knowledge in the manner we bandy about as docs."

You're clearly comparing pharmacist training and experience to physicians. I'm not. Nothing I said about pharmacists is false: they have clinical training and work around and with patients. Not in the way that MDs do, no, but I never said or implied that.
Observe I made an absolute statement, then a relative one. Learn to read.

Just let it go.
elsa-from-frozen-singing-let-it-go.jpg

Just for you.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't see a problem with it. Worst case, it's an unlinked post-bacc (like the one at Boston).

Last edited:
CNU is my dream school. Pause. NOT

I've heard other UCs don't tell you either
Communication issues is a valid one (though problematic at a lot of schools), but personally I've never had an issue calling Anji, Kia, or Silvea.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Real advice: if anyone has a million dollars, invest in this school. They're not going away and they have plans to rapidly expand heavily.

Nursing and SMP is next.

Oh god lmao what a joke. They don't even have their own campus, They're on leased space from sac state. That's beyond pathetic. At least devry and itt tech have their own campuses.

I know many MD and DO medical schools that are in leased properties. The building isn't the problem.

When it comes to interviewing for waitlists, my biggest problem is that schools like northstate don't let us know we are interviewing for waitlists.

I don't know why you expect a school to tell you. Granted I haven't heavily researched a lot of east coast schools, but I haven't heard of a school that does this (I know California does not).

I haven't even heard of "interviews for waitlists". With rolling admissions, there are just less seats available the later your II. Perhaps <5 for the entire batch of interviews saved for top applicants. That's not uncommon at all.

Last edited:
Because it makes sense and is the completely logical and rational thing to do. If you had to fly across the country wouldn't you rather know if you actually had a chance to interview for an acceptance? It makes no sense to not disclose the information.

The system is not set up for your benefit.

Reactions: 1 users
Because it makes sense and is the completely logical and rational thing to do. If you had to fly across the country wouldn't you rather know if you actually had a chance to interview for an acceptance? It makes no sense to not disclose the information.

It makes sense if you assume that the school's primary interest is your benefit.

When you realize that the school makes the decisions that will most benefit the school, not you, it all becomes clear.

Well that's just how the system is. As I said before, I know the other California schools don't tell you, and I'm not aware of any school that does.

I know many MD and DO medical schools that are in leased properties. The building isn't the problem.

And of course there are school like NYU that are basically real estate holding companies that happen to occasionally teach classes.

it's the inexperienced faculty who aren't board-certified/don't have their PhD's yet/ are pharmacists trying to teach doctors/ have never practiced in the US/have never taught before

Well hey after they establish themselves as an above-median med school in a single cycle, they will probably be able to grab some good faculty

it's the inexperienced faculty who aren't board-certified/don't have their PhD's yet/ are pharmacists trying to teach doctors/ have never practiced in the US/have never taught before

I don't think they have any faculty with no teaching experience.

A lot of those have been disproven, but that's not even what the poster is talking about.

The funny part is, I have many friends with significantly better stats than me (33+MCAT; 3.7+GPA) that are applying to the school and willing to consider it over other out-of-state schools.

Edit: I'm in CA, in case it wasn't obvious.

Well hey after they establish themselves as an above-median med school in a single cycle, they will probably be able to grab some good faculty

I think you're WAY overestimating what goes into a faculty's decision to work wherever they do.

The funny part is, I have many friends with significantly better stats than me (33+MCAT; 3.7+GPA) that are applying to the school and willing to consider it over other out-of-state schools.

Edit: I'm in CA, in case it wasn't obvious.

Location is a major factor for a lot of students. I know some from the inaugural class who turned down IIs at lower-tier schools like Albany and Rosalind Franklin. A little different in their case though as II are far from acceptances.

I think you're WAY overestimating what goes into a faculty's decision to work wherever they do.
You don't think a lot of people are turned off by a place being a totally unknown, unestablished program? A couple years running well seems like it would be requisite for anybody decent to consider it at all

Location is a major factor for a lot of students. I know some from the inaugural class who turned down IIs at lower-tier schools like Albany and Rosalind Franklin. A little different in their case though as II are far from acceptances.

I DEFINITELY don't agree that Rosalind Franklin is a lower-tier school but I get your point.

Honestly, for me personally, I don't care much about the faculty or building or newness. I just think the financial burden of going to graduate school without federal loans to be my biggest issue. I also wouldn't be able to delay repayment on my current federal loans. Many students are betting that the school will get federal loans in 4 years but the school already had the chance to apply through their pharmacy program but didn't. I would think that a school that was planning on opening a medical school would have the foresight of applying for federal aid for one of their programs to piggyback off of it for the medical school in the future but I guess they didn't care.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if a CNSU graduate gets into UC Davis's Urology program in 4 years and I will just laugh and say that my worries were baseless.

I didn't mean "low" as poor (I have friends in schools like NYMC who love it) just that I always see those schools in the "What are my Chances" topics for lower-stat applicants.

You don't think a lot of people are turned off by a place being a totally unknown, unestablished program? A couple years running well seems like it would be requisite for anybody decent to consider it at all

I think people would be turned off by an unknown, non-established program (though I'm sure there are those who like being on the ground floor of things), but the quality of the med student recruiting would be about 1000th on my priority list of finding a job.

I think people would be turned off by an unknown, non-established program (though I'm sure there are those who like being on the ground floor of things), but the quality of the med student recruiting would be about 1000th on my priority list of finding a job.
I wonder what makes for the general correlation of better med students at better Med schools? More money behind both?

I DEFINITELY don't agree that Rosalind Franklin is a lower-tier school but I get your point.

Honestly, for me personally, I don't care much about the faculty or building or newness. I just think the financial burden of going to graduate school without federal loans to be my biggest issue. I also wouldn't be able to delay repayment on my current federal loans. Many students are betting that the school will get federal loans in 4 years but the school already had the chance to apply through their pharmacy program but didn't. I would think that a school that was planning on opening a medical school would have the foresight of applying for federal aid for one of their programs to piggyback off of it for the medical school in the future but I guess they didn't care.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if a CNSU graduate gets into UC Davis's Urology program in 4 years and I will just laugh and say that my worries were baseless.
People categorize tiers mostly by stats. Avg of rosy Franklin is 30/3.5 I believe

Had this school been around 3 years ago I would have been extremely tempted to apply. Location was my biggest priority when applying to med school. The private loan thing would have made it impossible for me to attend though, as I don't have a co-signer.

I'm really interested in why the LCME had a requirement that a school be not-for-profit in the past, and then voted to get rid of that requirement in 2013. What was the original rationale for that requirement, and what was the rationale for eliminating it? I'm not sure it's possible to gain any actual insight (based on more than speculation and conjecture) here, but I'm still curious.

I wonder if the 80 spots that northstate is offering will affect the national applicant pool next year? I mean some Californians would choose this school over some oos privates, which could affect some schools a little bit. Or are people only going to northstate as a last resort you guys feel?

I wonder if the 80 spots that northstate is offering will affect the national applicant pool next year? I mean some Californians would choose this school over some oos privates, which could affect some schools a little bit. Or are people only going to northstate as a last resort you guys feel?

Drop in the bucket.

To give Rosy its due, their median stats are 3.7/31 = LizzyM score of 68. I believe CNU's trails even this, and is at the bottom of all the private MD schools (HBCs and PR schools don't count).

People categorize tiers mostly by stats. Avg of rosy Franklin is 30/3.5 I believe

Concur with medic. Rush, Loyola, Wake, Drexel, NYM, Albany etc will lose a few Californians each.

Drop in the bucket.

To give Rosy its due, their median stats are 3.7/31 = LizzyM score of 68. I believe CNU's trails even this, and is at the bottom of all the private MD schools (HBCs and PR schools don't count).

From the data I collected with n=10, CNU's lizzyM was ~68 but it is only a limited sample size. A friend of mine who interviewed later than me said school officials mentioned that their interview date outsmarted the first two dates, of which most of my n of 10 comes from. It is very possible that the stats for n=60 are higher.

As far as the student population is concerned, I would say CNU likely beats many of the low tier private schools. Median MCAT is 33 and mean is 32.8. GPA is on the lower side at ~3.5 but from the facebook group, most of the students come from top tier undergraduates such as UC Berkeley, Princeton, Yale, Boston College, WashU and others. I have applied to newer schools in previous cycles that were nowhere near the stats that of CNU in their inaugural class (TCMC, Quinnipiac, etc.).

Although the data is limited, this much seems clear: any school opening in California will not have a problem attracting quality students. Other factors may very well be a concern, but CNU will be a very interesting and unique case study.

Concur with medic. Rush, Loyola, Wake, Drexel, NYM, Albany etc will lose a few Californians each.

Agreed. When I interviewed at some of these schools a huge percentage were from California. At Drexel in particular there were only 2 or 3 students not from California out of the 12 or so people who were there that day. I think I remember one of the faculty telling me that ~25% of their class comes from California. 60 spots will do very little to the national applicant pool.

As the wise gyngyn has pointed out, CA is a net exporter of medical students.

Agreed. When I interviewed at some of these schools a huge percentage were from California. At Drexel in particular there were only 2 or 3 students not from California out of the 12 or so people who were there that day. I think I remember one of the faculty telling me that ~25% of their class comes from California. 60 spots will do very little to the national applicant pool.

Some of us get really lucky and are able to stay here :cool:

But I'll probably leave after medical school. It's a beautiful state with way too many people.

Leaving CA a great idea, just because you appreciate it so much more when you come back.

Who else regrets commenting on this thread in passing?

upload_2015-8-20_14-48-29.png

unsure about mobile app!

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-20_14-47-19.png
    upload_2015-8-20_14-47-19.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 52
Well; If this school is taking basically the worst applicants, it's like a Caribbean school in the U.S...
The match can't go well if the students want to get into a great residency program, or a competitive one like Orthopedic Surgery..
#1 issue I see with this school is they don't really even offer any great research opportunity (that can hurt when you need to match)
#2 issue The faculty seems very average, and a lot of them seem to be foreign trained.. No C.V listed on the website either for em'
#3 issue it is a for profit med school
#4 issue The Dean resigned to start another school

With that said; I wouldn't go to this med school when the time comes to apply.. I already know I want to be in the OR.. This school will not get me there.. There is NO opportunity for the students.. The faculty is average.. The departments are fresh, and have no history of achievement.. The med school isn't even associated with a reputable university.. It is basically going Caribbean on U.S soil.

Well; If this school is taking basically the worst applicants, it's like a Caribbean school in the U.S...
The match can't go well if the students want to get into a great residency program, or a competitive one like Orthopedic Surgery..
#1 issue I see with this school is they don't really even offer any great research opportunity (that can hurt when you need to match)
#2 issue The faculty seems very average, and a lot of them seem to be foreign trained.. No C.V listed on the website either for em'
#3 issue it is a for profit med school
#4 issue The Dean resigned to start another school

With that said; I wouldn't go to this med school when the time comes to apply.. I already know I want to be in the OR.. This school will not get me there.. There is NO opportunity for the students.. The faculty is average.. The departments are fresh, and have no history of achievement.. The med school isn't even associated with a reputable university.. It is basically going Caribbean on U.S soil.

hey at the end of the day, med school is med school isnt it? if you get residency placement and a recognized MD degree, what more can you hope for?

hey at the end of the day, med school is med school isnt it? if you get residency placement and a recognized MD degree, what more can you hope for?
Nope.. I disagree;
If you just want to do a simple private practice in a minimally competitive specialty okay..
But if you want to do Academic Medicine, and go into a competitive specialty it helps to go to a school with more opportunity/connections.
There is a reason why undergrad students at top colleges and state flagships get into jobs more often than other undergrad students..
Likewise there is a reason why students at 1st tier, and upper 2nd tier med schools get into more competitive residencies and are more likely to get into Academic medicine.
And I'm not saying you have to go to Hopkins or Harvard or your career is over..
I'm just saying it is good idea to go to a med school that has some recognition/a lot of research opportunity..
(university of colorado, university of pittsburgh, georgetown, etc..)

So with that said, as a pre-med my goal would be to not just get in but to get into a school with a lot of opportunity for me to do research, and gain clinical exposure and learn from outstanding doctors..
I wouldn't want to be at a 55k a year med school, take out private loans, and learn from some average doc with a foreign degree, or no actual research credentials.. No offense to doctors who have foreign degrees/went after private practice.
I'd rather learn from professors with great experience in their field, who have an outstanding reputation, a remarkable CV, etc..
The teachers at my Under Grad with PhDs are more qualified to teach than the faculty at this school!!! You know why? They have many publications, are respected in their fields, and are active researchers/academics..(I go to a state flagship btw, not some top 10 IV league school)