California Northstate gains Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope.. I disagree;
If you just want to do a simple private practice in a minimally competitive specialty okay..
But if you want to do Academic Medicine, and go into a competitive specialty it helps to go to a school with more opportunity/connections.
There is a reason why undergrad students at top colleges and state flagships get into jobs more often than other undergrad students..
Likewise there is a reason why students at 1st tier, and upper 2nd tier med schools get into more competitive residencies and are more likely to get into Academic medicine.
And I'm not saying you have to go to Hopkins or Harvard or your career is over..
I'm just saying it is good idea to go to a med school that has some recognition/a lot of research opportunity..
(university of colorado, university of pittsburgh, georgetown, etc..)

So with that said, as a pre-med my goal would be to not just get in but to get into a school with a lot of opportunity for me to do research, and gain clinical exposure and learn from outstanding doctors..
I wouldn't want to be at a 55k a year med school, take out private loans, and learn from some average doc with a foreign degree, or no actual research credentials.. No offense to doctors who have foreign degrees/went after private practice.
I'd rather learn from professors with great experience in their field, who have an outstanding reputation, a remarkable CV, etc..
The teachers at my Under Grad with PhDs are more qualified to teach than the faculty at this school!!! You know why? They have many publications, are respected in their fields, and are active researchers/academics..(I go to a state flagship btw, not some top 10 IV league school)

yeah of course harvard is nice. but at the same time I know carribean docs who are radiologists and cardiologists practicing in california. Its not a death sentence to go to a low tier md school

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah of course harvard is nice. but at the same time I know carribean docs who are radiologists and cardiologists practicing in california. Its not a death sentence to go to a low tier md school
Are they academics though?
I want to be an academic surgeon... That's all I know so far..
I'll explain to you how I see it..

So there is a mountain, a very tall mountain.. You are a climber, and the challenge is to get to the summit..
The base is pre-med.. That's where I have set camp right now
In order to get to base camp 2 you have to get into medical school..
Now in order to get into basecamp 3 you have to get into residency..
NOW WAIT! There are two paths to base camp 3! Two.. The 1st path is more smooth, and paved.. This path is available only to certain climbers with more connections.. The other more difficult path is for those with less connections/experience
The road to the summit is far more difficult for those who have to take the more difficult path..

So like I said.. I'd rather get to the summit through the easy path and not have to struggle as much.. A more reputable score gives such opportunity.. and I'll repeat that doesn't translate to Hopkins or Harvard, etc.. Big state medical schools like University of Colorado, University of Pittsburgh, UNC, UVA, etc..

Are they academics though?
I want to be an academic surgeon... That's all I know so far..
I'll explain to you how I see it..

So there is a mountain, a very tall mountain.. You are a climber, and the challenge is to get to the summit..
The base is pre-med.. That's where I have set camp right now
In order to get to base camp 2 you have to get into medical school..
Now in order to get into basecamp 3 you have to get into residency..
NOW WAIT! There are two paths to base camp 3! Two.. The 1st path is more smooth, and paved.. This path is available only to certain climbers with more connections.. The other more difficult path is for those with less connections/experience
The road to the summit is far more difficult for those who have to take the more difficult path..

So like I said.. I'd rather get to the summit through the easy path and not have to struggle as much.. A more reputable score gives such opportunity.. and I'll repeat that doesn't translate to Hopkins or Harvard, etc.. Big state medical schools like University of Colorado, University of Pittsburgh, UNC, UVA, etc..

I never said that harvard wasnt better. I entirely concede that point and if a harvard med school admissions officer were to offer me a spot, I'd jump for it this instant. I just said that for most doctors, a medical school is a medical school. if you pass the boards you're good.

wait never mind.. delete this please someone..
I see no delete button

I never said that harvard wasnt better. I entirely concede that point and if a harvard med school admissions officer were to offer me a spot, I'd jump for it this instant. I just said that for most doctors, a medical school is a medical school. if you pass the boards you're good.
You're getting me wrong..
I'm not saying going to Harvard is essential.. What I am saying is going to a reputable medical school, with decent research opportunity is essential to get into an Academic residency.
I'd be more than happy to go to say University of Colorado or UVA, etc..
I wouldn't even think of applying to a school like Northstate though or Caribbean..
And before I get yelled at by like half of SDN..
I wouldn't think of going D.O either.. Nope.. D.O hurts when trying to get into surgery

You're getting me wrong..
I'm not saying going to Harvard is essential.. What I am saying is going to a reputable medical school, with decent research opportunity is essential to get into an Academic residency.
I'd be more than happy to go to say University of Colorado or UVA, etc..
I wouldn't even think of applying to a school like Northstate though or Caribbean..
And before I get yelled at by like half of SDN..
I wouldn't think of going D.O either.. Nope.. D.O hurts when trying to get into surgery

if you say so doc

I suggest, especially as just an incoming Freshman, you broaden your horizons and do more research, especially into osteopathic medicine. One infographic is pretty meaningless.

I suggest, especially as just an incoming Freshman, you broaden your horizons and do more research, especially into osteopathic medicine. One infographic is pretty meaningless.
I have done my research;
I want to do surgery, that's all I know.. Going into osteopathetic medicine would not help that goal..
Further I disagree with the whole body, mind, etc.. I'm not a very holistic person
Besides, D.O is more primary care oriented.. That is what 60% of D.O graduates end up doing anyway..
Source: osteopathic.org

Actually, he should explore if a medical career is even the best option before thinking about do or md

Reactions: 1 users
Actually, he should explore if a medical career is even the best option before thinking about do or md
I have explored that extensively.. I am willing to argue I have been exposed to the medical field far longer than most students..
I had to learn the difference between a resident, fellow, and attending when I was 11.. Soooo...

Personally going through a medical crisis has given me great exposure to what happens in a Hospital.. How there are teams, and on the team you have nurses, medical students, attending, residents, fellows, etc..
It was interesting.. Being the subject of their team though wasn't very fun though.

Members don't see this ad :)
And also I think the decision to go D.O or M.D should be made during the pre-med years

D.O is a more holistic, primary care focused training path. I don't want that.. I hate primary care anyways.. Hated shadowing primary care docs..
Sit in an office, question your patient, treat basic stuff..
no thanks
Not for me

I liked what I saw in more critical care oriented fields.. Always on the go, on high alert, no time to waste, fast paced.

I have explored that extensively.. I am willing to argue I have been exposed to the medical field far longer than most students..
I had to learn the difference between a resident, fellow, and attending when I was 11.. Soooo...

Personally going through a medical crisis has given me great exposure to what happens in a Hospital.. How there are teams, and on the team you have nurses, medical students, attending, residents, fellows, etc..
It was interesting.. Being the subject of their team though wasn't very fun though.

ndvk8k.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
And also I think the decision to go D.O or M.D should be made during the pre-med years

D.O is a more holistic, primary care focused training path. I don't want that.. I hate primary care anyways.. Hated shadowing primary care docs..
Sit in an office, question your patient, treat basic stuff..
no thanks
Not for me

I liked what I saw in more critical care oriented fields.. Always on the go, on high alert, no time to waste, fast paced.

you sound like a real people person.

Reactions: 1 user
you sound like a real people person.
I don't mind people.. I just prefer to be always on the go/fast paced.
Perhaps that will fade as I age, but for now I don't care.. I don't have a wife.. a girlfriend.. or kids.. or aged parents who need constant care..

Perhaps that will fade as I age, but for now I don't care.. I don't have a wife.. a girlfriend.. or kids.. or aged parents who need constant care..
calm down and go to college

Reactions: 5 users
calm down and go to college
I am calm.. Always calm.. You will never find me in a state where I am not calm.. Well you'll never find me anyways haha..
And just going to college is boring..
I like to have a life.. Go hiking, volunteer, working on doing EMT, being engaged in civic causes, active in politics.

Don't let the adcom's hear you say that at interview.

Don't let the adcom's hear you say that at interview.
Eh.. I doubt you would like to interact with the drug seeking adolescents who went to my HS..
Selling dimebags in the bathroom with a cop on duty not more than 20 feet away..
*facepalm*
(and no I wasn't in a big city HS.. The HS got a lot of kids from extremely troubled areas where a lot of drugs/violent crime happened.)

Eh.. I doubt you would like to interact with the drug seeking adolescents who went to my HS..
Selling dimebags in the bathroom with a cop on duty not more than 20 feet away..
*facepalm*
(and no I wasn't in a big city HS.. The HS got a lot of kids from extremely troubled areas where a lot of drugs/violent crime happened.)

depends
I'm still figuring out if I'll finish this out in 3 years or 4....
I can easily finish in 3, no problem.

How does it depend? A freshman who finishes in 3 or 4 years is still a freshman.
laff.gif

How does it depend? A freshman who finishes in 3 or 4 years is still a freshman.
laff.gif
I do believe college ranking is based off the number of credits you have..
;)
I'm a freshman in the sense it's my 1st year of actual traditional college

As in he hasn't had his first day of class yet, he's really still a highschooler

;)

I don't think credits factor into maturity.

As in he hasn't had his first day of class yet, he's really still a highschooler
Nope.. I finished HS in 3 years anyways.. Waste of my time..
I wish I could have done it in2 years.. I was like 4 credits over a junior?
I have up to 12 transferable credits, 18 in progress
That would make me a sophomore this spring... And I plan to take 12 credits in summer, 18 again in fall
Bam, I'm a freaking junior! whoa..

Will I actually transfer all 12? nah.. I'll probably transfer only what I don't want to take again.

That would make me a sophomore this spring... And I plan to take 12 credits in summer, 18 again in fall

Will I actually transfer all 12? nah.. I'll probably transfer only what I don't want to take again.
Woah can I get your autograph

Reactions: 4 users
;)

I simply asked what "year" you are in, and you're in your first year of college. Your first semester. Your first month, actually.

My unsolicited advice is to take a big, big dose of humility. You have completed no college whatsoever, and you're already planning what med school you will go to and what specialty you will enter and what your career will be. Slow down. Observe more, talk less. I appreciate your fervor. And I appreciate the accomplishment of entering college with 12 credits, but that's not exactly special. I entered college with I think 37, and there were people in my class who entered with even more.

Slow down. Live your life. Enjoy your college years, and realize that for as hot a student as you are there are many thousands across the country with twice your resume. Brag less.

Registration cares what credit-year you are. People care how many years into collegiate life you are, that's what makes for maturity and perspective, not bringing in a semester's worth of AP credits.

I don't want
I simply asked what "year" you are in, and you're in your first year of college. Your first semester. Your first month, actually.

My unsolicited advice is to take a big, big dose of humility. You have completed no college whatsoever, and you're already planning what med school you will go to and what specialty you will enter and what your career will be. Slow down. Observe more, talk less. I appreciate your fervor. And I appreciate the accomplishment of entering college with 12 credits, but that's not exactly special. I entered college with I think 37, and there were people in my class who entered with even more.

Slow down. Live your life. Enjoy your college years, and realize that for as hot a student as you are there are many thousands across the country with twice your resume. Brag less.
I'm not braging.. And I even pointed out to the other poster there will be D.Os who are far smarter and better than me
I'm a realist okay
There are people who had a higher gpa than I did
There are people who go to a better college than I do
Yeah? I never claimed to be the best
and no where did I claim to pick a specialty or a med school
I just said I want to get in to an Allopathic medical school with decent reputation
I also said I like surgery

That's not going too fast btw....
You're reading far too much into my posts and putting words into my mouth.

Registration cares what credit-year you are. People care how many years into collegiate life you are, that's what makes for maturity and perspective, not bringing in a semester's worth of AP credits.
I agree with that statement; That's why I'm getting involved as much as I can to gain life experience.

I'm not braging..

Well, it comes off that way. You're a freshman pre-med on a medical student and physician forum with "Dr" in your name, and you're telling us all about how your career plans are simply too big for DO and you're too smart for high school and etc etc.

A little more humility will go a long way. Chill and see how you do in college and on the MCAT. See how much you like actually interacting with real patients. Be excited to learn and explore new opportunities and keep your mind open. Don't be that gunner premed kid.

I have done my research;
I want to do surgery, that's all I know.. Going into osteopathetic medicine would not help that goal..
Further I disagree with the whole body, mind, etc.. I'm not a very holistic person
Besides, D.O is more primary care oriented.. That is what 60% of D.O graduates end up doing anyway..
Source: osteopathic.org

Your dumb is showing.

Well, it comes off that way. You're a freshman pre-med on a medical student and physician forum with "Dr" in your name, and you're telling us all about how your career plans are simply too big for DO and you're too smart for high school and etc etc.

A little more humility will go a long way. Chill and see how you do in college and on the MCAT. See how much you like actually interacting with real patients. Be excited to learn and explore new opportunities and keep your mind open. Don't be that gunner premed kid.

If you can see my profile picture, that is Dr.Baker.. And so "Dr.Stix" is a joke regarding Dr.Baker..
Yeah I watch little house on the prarie lol

I don't know what others do when they set a goal, but I set a criteria.
Being too vague is a disservice..
It's not I want to get into med school to me.. It is I want to get into an Allopathic medical school with a decent reputation for research largely because I think I will want to do surgery..
That's a very realistic goal to set as a pre-med.
Go ahead disagree with me, I don't care.. There is a big difference between a surgeon, and a doctor who isn't a surgeon. That is a distinction I believe is essential in deciding..
FYI No where I say I would be an orthopedic surgeon, a Cardiod-thoracic surgeon, a neurosurgeon, a general surgeon, a vascular surgeon, etc.. I just said surgeon
That's not picking a specialty in any manner.

FYI I am not a gunner.. My pre-med status is secret at college..
I spoke with advisors a few times regarding and will refuse to do so ever again.. I will not join any pre-med club, or be involved in any way with pre-med culture in real life.
NO THANKS... I like to keep my business in real life to myself.. I don't mention my stats, how many credits I am taking, etc.. nope..

Wait...you're the guy who decided "3.8 GPA, 520 MCAT minimum, and over 4,000 hours of volunteering work, and at least 3 years of research"

LOL When I started college I was an astronautical engineering major with plans for working for NASA when I graduate. I'm now 21, a graduate of a top 20 college, and applying to D.O. schools. Things change dude. Keep talking big like this and you'll end up nowhere. I can almost guarantee it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Also it wasn't that I was too smart for HS.. The problem was there was nothing useful being taught in HS.. They started bringing in all this common core garbage, and school standards just went downhill.
Middle School was even worse.. You never even got homework.. Boy did I have to learn quickly how to develop a work ethic, and learn I did.

LOL When I started college I was an astronautical engineering major with plans for working for NASA when I graduate. I'm now 21, a graduate of a top 20 college, and applying to D.O. schools. Things change dude. Keep talking big like this and you'll end up no where. I can almost guarantee it.
I already went through that phase.. I was a CS oriented in HS, but I finally made my mind up 2 months from graduation. Ultimately it was the fact that I really enjoyed what the doctors I shadowed did, and wanted to do that.
And my plans aren't "big".. It's just that I want to go to an Allopathic school with decent research opportunity.. (that would include many state medical schools which I would be MORE than glad to get into.. Some schools are primary care focused and I wouldn't want to go there. ) THat btw is why I'm being specific..
If you look at the U.S news rankings for med schools which by the way I don't care about, but anyways they have two.. One for primary care, one for research..
So it's an important distinction to make beforehand.. Do you want to primary care, or something more academic?? At least that is how I see it.
I don't want to go D.O though because I don't really agree with their curriculum focus, which I looked up. (I'm not saying D.O doctors aren't qualified.. They are more than qualified. I''ll probably be shadowing some d.o doctors to learn more about it and hear from em')
Wait...you're the guy who decided "3.8 GPA, 520 MCAT minimum, and over 4,000 hours of volunteering work, and at least 3 years of research"
Well, yeah..
My standards are a bit unrealistic though, yes I agree. But that's a good thing.. The higher I set the bar, the better. I'll save you the boredom and not talk about that whole lego nonsense I came up with.

FYI I am not a gunner.. My pre-med status is secret at college..
I spoke with advisors a few times regarding and will refuse to do so ever again.. I will not join any pre-med club, or be involved in any way with pre-med culture in real life.
NO THANKS... I like to keep my business in real life to myself.. I don't mention my stats, how many credits I am taking, etc.. nope..

just remember to take 100+ semester units at your school. Because if you enter with 30 AP credits, you could graduate with only 90 college units, which may or may not make you ineligible for medical school.

just remember to take 100+ semester units at your school. Because if you enter with 30 AP credits, you could graduate with only 90 college units, which may or may not make you ineligible for medical school.
I don't have 30, I got 12. 30+ is the other poster
And I will only transfer 6.. Get some pre-reqs out of the way.

Yeah I agree with you; THat's why I didn't do another year of HS.. AP isn't really worth it in my opinion if you want to go to grad school.

A person born in Bulgaria was educated in Bulgaria? Color me surprised! Let's ignore that she got her Ph.D. from Texas AM and served as an associate dean at SUNY upstate.
Then again, I'm one that doesn't hold a bias against foreign grads. Some of my best professors went to foreign grad schools.

For the record, there's nothing wrong with setting a goal for yourself. But the fact that you're talking so big as just a high-school graduate, along with your extreme tunnel-vision (already disregarding primary care and DO schools), screams pretentiousness and naivete.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users