Campbell University (CUSOM) DIscussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know that Campbell Undergrad is a very religious institution. I'm wondering if the medical school is also going to attract the same religious community. Specifically, do all accepted students identify as being very religious? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know that Campbell Undergrad is a very religious institution. I'm wondering if the medical school is also going to attract the same religious community. Specifically, do all accepted students identify as being very religious? Thanks!

I think this would be highly unlikeley. There have been earlier posts in this thread alluding to this topic. There will definitely be many religious students, but there will no doubt be a variety of religions (and the lack thereof) represented. For some, the relgious background of the school may be a deciding factor, but not for most I would imagine, seeing as how there is no requirement that we be a Christian.

Does anyone know if the weather issues today will prevent them from making the calls to the students who interviewed this week?

Members don't see this ad :)
the tour guide at Campbell told our group that religion will play no part in the school or its curriculum. She also said that we are not expected in any way to attend religious services or express any interst in religion. If you want to be active in religion on campus it's up to you.

anyone who just got the call, were you at the Tuesday interview this week?

I was Saturday the 19th, there was ~20 people at my interview

I'd really like to know the interview--->acceptance ratio!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an interview invite over the phone, and will be interviewing on February 4th! I am so excited to see the campus and meet with everyone! Is anyone else on here interviewing on that day?

I just received an interview invite over the phone, and will be interviewing on February 4th! I am so excited to see the campus and meet with everyone! Is anyone else on here interviewing on that day?

Wow, congrats, I thought all schools offered invites through email. I better keep my phone on. :fingerscrossed:

Got a call today but I missed it, was it Maddy that called everyone?

Yep, I'll be there!!! So excited! And to the other poster, it was Mattie who called me as well. Gotta love the Welsh accent haha.

Did anyone who was told they would hear back today not get a call or an email?

Interviewed Saturday, accepted yesterday, so excited!
Here are my stats: 3.67 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA, 25O MCAT.

Good luck to everyone who has or is waiting on an interview!

got the call yesterday! so excited to start!! anyone know the facebook group for people who are accepted and going to Campbell?

Everyone who's accepted should join the facebook group! looking forward to meeting everyone during Accepted Students day!

Anyone else interviewing Monday?

And how long does the interview day generally last? Only info I received is just that it starts at 7:45

The interview starts at 745 and ends around 130. You meet downstairs are introduced to joy and Mattie. Then they divide you into two groups, the first group does their interviews while the second listens to a presentation, then switch. After that there is a campus walking tour, a bus tour to the med school, and finally lunch. I think I was done early, around 1:00.

For those who were accepted, how did you prepare for the interview? Also, after having been through the process, what would you suggest helped you the most in that preparation? Thanks!! :)

Anyone with a 25-ish mcat who got in?
I was accepted with an MCAT around 25, the thing is...an MCAT score is just one part of the equation.

How was your GPA? Shadowing? leadership? personality? Clinical work? research? ETC? Really there is no perfect score and what you got is what you got. Be assured that you as a whole candidate will make a great physician. The average accepted scores from what I have heard is an MCAT score ~25-26. I may be wrong.

Good luck

I think that as a religious institution they will have a desire to select individuals with sound mind and good morals (honesty, integrity, etc). Hope this will be the type of fellow students I study with regardless of religious preference or no preference. In the end, we are all paying lots of money to learn medicine.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
I'm having some difficulities planning this interview day. I'm assuming most of you flew into Raleigh airport. There doesn't seem to be any easy/convenient ways of transportation. Did you all rent cars? Or did you find it easy to take a taxi to your hotel, and then a taxi to the school in the morning? I am planning to stay at the Microtel in Lillington. Any advice would be appreciated! At this point it may be easiest for me to make the drive (8 hrs) to at least have a car. Thanks!

I'm having some difficulities planning this interview day. I'm assuming most of you flew into Raleigh airport. There doesn't seem to be any easy/convenient ways of transportation. Did you all rent cars? Or did you find it easy to take a taxi to your hotel, and then a taxi to the school in the morning? I am planning to stay at the Microtel in Lillington. Any advice would be appreciated! At this point it may be easiest for me to make the drive (8 hrs) to at least have a car. Thanks!

I'm staying at the Microtel as well with my lady if you'd need a ride over to campus!

Last edited:

You will without doubt need a vehicle to get to CUSOM. A taxi could work in theory but you will likely pay way more than renting a car or driving the 8 hours. It is about a 45 min drive from the airport and the area becomes rural, very quickly. Hope that helps

Good luck!

Hi all,
I got my ii today for Feb. 18th. Could someone who has recently interviewed explain the 1on1 interview format? I just would like a recent opinion, as I know the school is developing as we speak. I looked through the past posts here and I see it is 1on1 interview with the dean. I am extremely nervous, and this is my first med school interview.

Hi all,
I got my ii today for Feb. 18th. Could someone who has recently interviewed explain the 1on1 interview format? I just would like a recent opinion, as I know the school is developing as we speak. I looked through the past posts here and I see it is 1on1 interview with the dean. I am extremely nervous, and this is my first med school interview.

The Dean does not interview everyone only some of the interviewees. You are (randomly?) assigned to three faculty interviews which you will see outlined on the agenda when you arrive. Maybe others will chime in regarding recent format changes, it's been a while for me. PM me if no one else helps:)

The Dean does not interview everyone only some of the interviewees. You are (randomly?) assigned to three faculty interviews which you will see outlined on the agenda when you arrive. Maybe others will chime in regarding recent format changes, it's been a while for me. PM me if no one else helps:)

Just interviewed yesterday and this is exactly how it is done. It's a very laid back format and the faculty are very lighthearted and conversational. One of my interviewers literally talked 80% of the time, which was fine, I just showed that I can listen when necessary. Literally the hardest question I had was "What would you do if you didn't get in." It's not bad at all, they really just want to see if you fit the school and vice versa. Good luck!

Just interviewed yesterday and this is exactly how it is done. It's a very laid back format and the faculty are very lighthearted and conversational. One of my interviewers literally talked 80% of the time, which was fine, I just showed that I can listen when necessary. Literally the hardest question I had was "What would you do if you didn't get in." It's not bad at all, they really just want to see if you fit the school and vice versa. Good luck!
One of your interviewers? Are there multiple interviews? Thanks for the reply btw.

One of your interviewers? Are there multiple interviews? Thanks for the reply btw.

No problem! Yeah, there are three one on one interviews, each 30 minutes long. Other than that, you'll have a tour of the campus and the outside of the med school. You'll also have a presentation by Joy! It's a really laid-back day!!

To all the recent interviewers... didn't you just love that email from Joy?! I sent her a joking message about how starting out a message with "I regret to inform you..." can give people in such fragile states (as we med school applicants are) an MI!

"Hello CUSOM Candidates,

It was great meeting you and hope this message finds you well.

I regret to inform you that I will not be able to contact you about the status of your application until the evening of Wednesday February 13, 2013.

I apologize for the delay and hope to speak with you soon."

I had the same reaction to the email. The subject line also said: CUSOM committee decision update, so when it popped upon my phone I already was thinking at the most I was wait-listed because they tell you that they call people that are accepted. Then after reading the first two lines I thought for sure it was a rejection. After I finally read the whole email, I was happy that that was not the case, but then I realized quickly that this was going to be a long week of waiting.

Joy responded and I think she feels pretty bad about it after I pointed it. She is absolutely great and one of the nicest and enthusiastic person I have met in any admissions office, so hopefully she realized that (for me at least) I had a good laugh after reading the wording!

I was very impressed with everyone that I came in contact with there. I had a good laugh too after I realized that it was not a rejection. This school actually moved to the top of my list after interviewing there, so I am really hoping for an acceptance. Did she happen to say why there was a delay? It worries me a bit that they are waiting to interview more people before making their decision, which would mean that there are not a whole lot of seats left there.

Last edited:
For those that have been accepted have you gotten any word on your Title 4 loan situation? Its the requirement needed to get financial aid though your institution. Thank you in advance.

For those that have been accepted have you gotten any word on your Title 4 loan situation? Its the requirement needed to get financial aid though your institution. Thank you in advance.

Not sure I understand what you mean by Title 4 loan situation, but all I did was fill out my FAFSA form back in January and just received my financial aid info. in the mail a few days ago. I was given a scholarship (you will have a chance at this if selected by Campbell to submit an essay), federal unsubsidized, and graduate PLUS loans to cover the cost of attending and living expenses. The only thing left to worry now is how to pay off this bad boy, but that's a long ways in the future...

I was very impressed with everyone that I came in contact with there. I had a good laugh too after I realized that it was not a rejection. This school actually moved to the top of my list after interviewing there, so I am really hoping for an acceptance. Did she happen to say why there was a delay? It worries me a bit that they are waiting to interview more people before making their decision, which would mean that there are not a whole lot of seats left there.

Hey futureDO and hockeyteen, which group were y'all in!? I was the tall skinny guy at the end of the table opposite Dean K (during the taco bar lunch).

Not sure I understand what you mean by Title 4 loan situation, but all I did was fill out my FAFSA form back in January and just received my financial aid info. in the mail a few days ago. I was given a scholarship (you will have a chance at this if selected by Campbell to submit an essay), federal unsubsidized, and graduate PLUS loans to cover the cost of attending and living expenses. The only thing left to worry now is how to pay off this bad boy, but that's a long ways in the future...

Thank you!

I was sitting pretty close to you then. I was a few seats to your left. I was the guy from Arkansas. I think I know which one you were, but I won't out you on here. Haha!

Haha, yeah, I definitely remember ya bud. Good luck on Wednesday!!

Do interview invites come via email or telephone?

I received my interview invite via telephone back in December.

Oh ok, I got a missed call from Mrs. Westmoreland today. My file is complete and already under review so I was trying to figure out why she would call me. Wonder if it is an interview invite :thumbup: ;)