Campbell University (CUSOM) DIscussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yah, i'm hoping I can get in. It's close to home and people have only said impressive things about the school.
I love the school. I know it's new and all, but it just felt right when I interviewed there. I'm really looking forward to the rotations throughout Wake County. Plus, I think it's cool that the students do service projects together. In fact, it's one of the first things you do as a way of getting to know each other.

Members don't see this ad.

I love the school. I know it's new and all, but it just felt right when I interviewed there. I'm really looking forward to the rotations throughout Wake County. Plus, I think it's cool that the students do service projects together. In fact, it's one of the first things you do as a way of getting to know each other.

Tell me about that? What's the student service project? Also is there collaboration and interaction between the graduate/professional programs and the DO school?

Tell me about that? What's the student service project? Also is there collaboration and interaction between the graduate/professional programs and the DO school?
Well, I know this first class packaged dry food such as beans and rice to send to underdeveloped countries before school started. It was meant as an icebreaker while also doing something good for others. I believe they also did toy drive for Christmas.

As for medically related service, they had the opportunity to go to local farms and give the workers health checks. I'd imagine there's more planned for next year.

I'm not sure which programs utilize the medical science building. It's down the street from the rest of campus. Campbell just graduated its first PA program. It just started a DPT (doctor of physical therapy) program last month. A nursing school is opening there this Fall, too. The pharmacy program is at the main campus.

Sometimes, the medical students do work with the nursing students at various schools. Not often, but it happens. So, I'd imagine there would be some sort of interaction eventually.

The PA students have four cadavers in the lab, but I don't know if they're in there at the same time. From what I've seen though, the PA students interact with the medical students somewhat.

Members don't see this ad :)

CU is actually really committed to inter-professional interactions so if you are interested in that, this is the right school for you! We don't do any class work together (I don't foresee basic sciences ever being combined like at some schools) but this year there was the formation of the University "IPE", which are regularly hosted inter-professional events that are simulated role-playing experiences for students in all our health programs, including public health, to problem solve with standardized patients over complex cases... it's very cool and people love it, even though they often take place in evenings when we are very busy! The clubs often have some overlap too (like the CMDA) with different programs. Just last week the PA class had a soup and dessert fundraiser down in the lobby and many of us ate lunch to support them. Inter-professional training and practicing is both the current reality of the work place and the future of training so I'm glad Campbell leadership is exploring this already! There is only benefit from having the other programs around to learn from.

Student service projects abound from a variety of sources, primarily club organized and sponsored. Many of these are community projects and partnerships that are likely to be part of long term commitments so they aren't just one Saturday events, but rather ongoing. Your class and successive classes will benefit once we get the details worked out yet this spring. Our medical missions department will likely also continue to develop things locally and internationally but these are still very early in dreaming and planning stages. Expect opportunities but do not expect everything to be perfectly set up in advance for you. Some may view this negatively but I see it as an exciting chance to be forming these programs... the next few classes will certainly be part of that vision.

CU is actually really committed to inter-professional interactions so if you are interested in that, this is the right school for you! We don't do any class work together (I don't foresee basic sciences ever being combined like at some schools) but this year there was the formation of the University "IPE", which are regularly hosted inter-professional events that are simulated role-playing experiences for students in all our health programs, including public health, to problem solve with standardized patients over complex cases... it's very cool and people love it, even though they often take place in evenings when we are very busy! The clubs often have some overlap too (like the CMDA) with different programs. Just last week the PA class had a soup and dessert fundraiser down in the lobby and many of us ate lunch to support them. Inter-professional training and practicing is both the current reality of the work place and the future of training so I'm glad Campbell leadership is exploring this already! There is only benefit from having the other programs around to learn from.

Student service projects abound from a variety of sources, primarily club organized and sponsored. Many of these are community projects and partnerships that are likely to be part of long term commitments so they aren't just one Saturday events, but rather ongoing. Your class and successive classes will benefit once we get the details worked out yet this spring. Our medical missions department will likely also continue to develop things locally and internationally but these are still very early in dreaming and planning stages. Expect opportunities but do not expect everything to be perfectly set up in advance for you. Some may view this negatively but I see it as an exciting chance to be forming these programs... the next few classes will certainly be part of that vision.
All of that sounds awesome. Thanks for the response. I can't wait to be a part of it.

anyone nervous about how new the school is? From things like match rates .... to is their business model sustainable?

anyone nervous about how new the school is? From things like match rates .... to is their business model sustainable?

campbell is an incredibly old school with a long history of high performing professional programs...their pharmacy and law schools are top in terms of board/bar passage. As for their business model, they have over a $100mil endowment. They now have also added a DPT and a PA program....in addition to already announcing two partnerships for adding residency spots and we're not even through the first year of their med program....they'll be fine

http://nclawyersweekly.com/2013/04/09/nc-bar-exam-has-49-percent-pass-rate-for-february/ (campbell was the highest bar passage in the state)

http://www.campbell.edu/cphs/academic-programs/pharmd/ (98%)

campbell is an incredibly old school with a long history of high performing professional programs...their pharmacy and law schools are top in terms of board/bar passage. As for their business model, they have over a $100mil endowment. They now have also added a DPT and a PA program....in addition to already announcing two partnerships for adding residency spots and we're not even through the first year of their med program....they'll be fine

http://nclawyersweekly.com/2013/04/09/nc-bar-exam-has-49-percent-pass-rate-for-february/ (campbell was the highest bar passage in the state)

http://www.campbell.edu/cphs/academic-programs/pharmd/ (98%)

Good information, thanks! Just trying to weigh all my options :)

at the interview the medical dean told a story about meeting the university president as a (then) consultant when campbell was just starting to look into starting a medical program. Assuming that most schools don't understand the cost, the president was told that they needed access to about $60mil for construction/staff/savings to get a school started. Expecting to get a shellshocked or disappointed look from the president, the consultant instead got a shoulder shrug and a "done...what's the next step then"...

at the interview the medical dean told a story about meeting the university president as a (then) consultant when campbell was just starting to look into starting a medical program. Assuming that most schools don't understand the cost, the president was told that they needed access to about $60mil for construction/staff/savings to get a school started. Expecting to get a shellshocked or disappointed look from the president, the consultant instead got a shoulder shrug and a "done...what's the next step then"...

Yeah... one thing is for certain, money is not an issue for CU. The community, religious and non-religious love them and support them heavily.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

In addition to what the others have said, Campbell has already started working on obtaining residency spots in the area for its graduates. I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard there would be enough spots in IM and FM for the first two classes if they do well and want them.

In addition to what the others have said, Campbell has already started working on obtaining residency spots in the area for its graduates. I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard there would be enough spots in IM and FM for the first two classes if they do well and want them.

From what I was told, they are already obtained and contracted.

Sent from my Starfleet Universal Communicator.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very nice, another Trekkie!

I'm really excited to start. Campbell seemed like the best fit for me. All during the interview I was keeping a critical eye, looking for things that I didn't like, but it was hard to find anything. I had another interview before Campbell, so I was able to compare at least one other school in person. Since then, I've had others, but I couldn't get CUSOM out of my mind.

I thought the SIM labs were nice, but it's not something that's a big deal in the end. Most medical students and doctors I've talked to said that they barely used their respective SIM labs. I've also used the same SIM man when teaching paramedics in my former job. It seems like it would work well, but it's just no substitute in the least for an actual person. Personally, I don't feel like I've ever gotten much out of simulation, so I'll have to see if that changes.

I'm really looking forward to opportunities in and around Wake County when the time comes as well as the service projects the school seems to organize throughout the year. Having the other professional schools there is a plus in my book, too.

As I am currently awaiting the board's decision for the Air Force HPSP, the residency spots don't concern me as much because if approved my future is a little less flexible.

I also really like the medical building and how much natural light there is. Being holed up in a room studying, I'll take vitamin D whenever and wherever I can get it.

Oh, and one cannot forget Southern cooking.

Bo-berry biscuits changed my life.

How about that Cookout too. Oh man. Those cajun fries with a milk shake. I'm going to get so fat in med school.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm thinking of weekend barbeques complete with sweet tea.

interviewed feb 4th just put on the waitlist today. Does anyone know how full the class is and how many people get in from the waitlist?

Just got called today for an interview for the end of February , however she said I was interviewing for a waitlist spot or something like that? Does anyone know what this is about?

Just got called today for an interview for the end of February , however she said I was interviewing for a waitlist spot or something like that? Does anyone know what this is about?

Thats depressing...
I'm curious just how likely these will ever turn into anything more.

Based on how full the class was a month ago, I imagine around 140/162 seats have been filled by now.

I was pulled off the waitlist this year so there is still hope

Reactions: 1 user
Apparently last year only had like 10 ppl coming off the waitlist and over 100 waitlists 0.o

Keep optimistic everyone. I know a few people who interviewed very late in the cycle last year (i.e. March) and they got accepted, not waitlisted, and they had only average scores. Yeah the odds of being waitlisted are higher at this point in the cycle, but like my fellow classmates I just mentioned, you can still be accepted, just shine at your interview! Don't be quiet and shy. Talk, socialize, SMILE, show passion and interest and that you absolutely want to attend CUSOM (even if it may not be true).

See you future CUSOM M-1's at ASD :)

Decided to cancel my interview with them, hard decision it was. Hopefully it goes to one of you patiently waiting! Good luck everyone!

Keep optimistic everyone. I know a few people who interviewed very late in the cycle last year (i.e. March) and they got accepted, not waitlisted, and they had only average scores. Yeah the odds of being waitlisted are higher at this point in the cycle, but like my fellow classmates I just mentioned, you can still be accepted, just shine at your interview! Don't be quiet and shy. Talk, socialize, SMILE, show passion and interest and that you absolutely want to attend CUSOM (even if it may not be true).

See you future CUSOM M-1's at ASD :)

I was looking over the 2013 thread and it was kinda depressing tho. They said they had 100 ppl on the waitlist and only like 10 came off of it or something.

Yup, I received an II last week and they did mention on the phone that it's possible that I would be interviewing for a waitlist spot, depending on the movement of the class (she mentioned that there was a lot of movement).

I intend on attending, but it's a new DO school in a very rural area.....there will be waitlist movement

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

I'm debating on whether or not to go to accepted students day. I'm 10-11 hours away from CUSOM, and I'm going back to where I'm originally from (8-9 hours away from here) for a couple of weeks the beginning of March already and probably April as well. So much driving...

I'm weighing into going to accepted day as well.... but it's a lot of gas money

I intend on attending, but it's a new DO school in a very rural area.....there will be waitlist movement

Well let's hope, I'm just saying that last year it seemed like there wasn't super movement but that may have been them not disclosing that information.
Either way... Id be proud to attend.

Accepted last week! Even though it is a new school I have a good feeling about it.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm weighing into going to accepted day as well.... but it's a lot of gas money

I'm very far away as well- was wondering if any current student could share how beneficial/fun it was or was not last year to help me decide if it's worth the journey out.

And for all you on the wait list, keep in mind SDN is generally a small sample size when trying to find patterns or trends. Especially for a new school. Best of luck though!

I'm very far away as well- was wondering if any current student could share how beneficial/fun it was or was not last year to help me decide if it's worth the journey out.

And for all you on the wait list, keep in mind SDN is generally a small sample size when trying to find patterns or trends. Especially for a new school. Best of luck though!

I drove 10 hours to go and thought it was definitely worth it. Got a lot accomplished. Was able to meet a lot of my new classmates, find an apartment, and let my family learn about osteopathic medicine, the school, and see where/what I'll be doing for the next 4 years. It's kind of more for your family and loved ones than it is for you, but if you haven't found an apartment yet, this would be a good opportunity to do so. Also, those who went last year were able to skip the FA presentation during Orientation, not a deal-breaker, but nice to go straight from introductions to get my ID and stuff while others sat in an hour long FA presentation we have ALL heard thousands of times.

I'm debating on whether or not to go to accepted students day. I'm 10-11 hours away from CUSOM, and I'm going back to where I'm originally from (8-9 hours away from here) for a couple of weeks the beginning of March already and probably April as well. So much driving...

I attended last year and was able to secure my housing lease, meet other students and faculty and learn more about the curriculum. This year, I believe will be more fun. There are going to be medical student panels & q/a, ice breaker activities, tours etc..
If your spouses or parents are concerned or want to know more about the school and area I suggest bringing them along.

If you want to secure housing ahead of time I highly suggest attending. I don't regret my attendance last year.

Plus the weather should be nice!!

Has anyone not had a lor from a DO and been fine in the application process?

My clinical letter was from an MD, and I had no problems! I did shadow a DO though, which I was asked about in my interviews.

Thank you I just want to have my lor ready

I am also weighing coming to the accepted students day. I am 12-13 hours away. At this point it is likely that I will be there. I am excited to show my family the school and get to know people.

For those of you on the fence about coming to accepted students day, I encourage you to consider coming! Don't sweat it for those of you that for whatever reason can't make it but if you can, I think it's a great opportunity to get a better feel for your class, the program and the community you are joining. At the very least, it will provide you some anxiety relief and perhaps get some answers to a few of the many questions and uncertainties before late July when you make the move.
Congratulations again, all, you earned your spot and you won't be disappointed with CUSOM. It's a great program and we are excited to have another class around next year!

Ok, I've been convinced to attend accepted students day. See everyone March 22nd!