Campbell University (CUSOM) DIscussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I declined my acceptance. Hopefully one of you gets it.

CUSOM seems like a great school with awesome facilities and a staff that genuinely seems to care.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder where students live hah. I was looking at Holly Springs since it's close to both the school and Raleigh.

Members don't see this ad :)
So... what do people do on the weekends..
Good question. I don't really know for sure. Raleigh is about 40 minutes away. I plan on trying to organize some barbecues myself. There seems to be a lot of outdoorsy stuff to do. The students have pick up soccer games at a certain time in the week from what I understand. There are also club sports, etc.

Good question. I don't really know for sure. Raleigh is about 40 minutes away. I plan on trying to organize some barbecues myself. There seems to be a lot of outdoorsy stuff to do. The students have pick up soccer games at a certain time in the week from what I understand. There are also club sports, etc.

How far from like the nearest movie theater, costco, shopping mall, etc?

How far from like the nearest movie theater, costco, shopping mall, etc?
I don't really know. I did a web search though. Looks like most of that is about 35-40 minutes away from Lillington.

Hmm do you know anything about the rotations and where they are?
The sites are listed near the bottom of the page: http://www.campbell.edu/cusom/about-us/faq/

I'm not too familiar most of the hospitals listed except for the WakeMed hospital system. Wake County (just north of Harnett County, the county in which Lillington is located) has pretty renowned hospitals. I'm a paramedic, so I know for a fact that they must be doing something right because research related to the EMS system located there is always in the EMS journals I read occasionally. In general, there's a lot of research done in and around that area. The school falls within what is known as the Research Triangle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Triangle_(North_Carolina)

Edit: Just so you know... I spoke with a few people about being able to rotate elsewhere (i.e. other areas of the country) and they said it wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

Time permitting, a bunch of us try to get out to Raleigh once a month, usually on the Friday after a block exam - for those of us that live near school, we either have a willing DD or just crash at one of the med student's apartments in Fuquay (20min-ish from Raleigh). If we can't make it out to Raleigh, then we would just have a huge celebratory gathering at the townhomes (the new ones built for the med students).

We also try to grab dinner once a week at Aviator in Fuquay-Varina. Also, every Wednesday is Trivia Night + 50cent wings at County Seat, the local sports bar here in Lillington which is always fun. They also have Friday Karaoke night as well.

This passed weekend a group of us got tickets to the Aviator Brewery Tour in Fuquay which was really fun, especially cause of the free beer and gear. Cary has a nice shopping mall and is 45 minutes north. Holly Springs is about 35 min north of us and has a bunch of restaurants and shopping as well. Fayetteville isn't as nice of a city but it's only 25 minutes south and has a movie theater and everything any other big city would have. Fuquay-Varina is 20 minutes north and has many basic shopping options as well (Staples, Walmart, Harris-Teeter, etc...). There's also a Walmart 10 minutes away from the school down in Dunn.

Other than shopping, we play pickup basketball and soccer a lot, utilize the golf course right behind the medical school which is actually really nice and cheap, and many participate in intramural sports (volleyball, soccer, and softball are starting up in a week or two). There are a good amount of cross-fitters here as well if that's your cup of tea. Wilmington Beach is also about a 1.5 hour drive from here.

It isn't NYC or Chicago, but you can always find something to do on the weekends when you actually have the free-time. Hope that helps.

Today was pretty amazing tbh. Really enjoyed the school hah

Reactions: 1 user
It's definitely a beautiful school. Can't wait to meet everyone in March!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's called studying lol. And only getting up from your desk so you can move around so as to prevent a dvt.

Other than that if your lucky and have time - my gang likes to hike a raven rock a few times / month and aviator once a month.

For those of you who are going to accepted students day and like to save money: I would like to extend an invitation for someone to stay at my home that weekend instead of staying at a hotel . Singles or couples are welcome and you would have your own room, bed, bathroom and breakfast (if you like bacon). Pm me if you are interested!

Can't wait to meet everyone!

(Current student)

"Grades in courses taken subsequent to acceptance and prior to matriculation cannot be less than a C and with a cumulative average of at least a 3.2."

I'm only taking Calculus II this semester and a one credit lab- does this mean that if I get a B (overall less than a 3.2) in Calculus that they could rescind my acceptance since the overall GPA would be less than a 3.2? Or is this 3.2 regarding my OVERALL GPA?

I believe since it says "cumulative" average of 3.2 it's regarding your overall GPA but it couldn't hurt to ask the admissions office.

So I submitted my FAFSA last week. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to send you the financial package?

So I submitted my FAFSA last week. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to send you the financial package?

Here is what I was told. I had submitted my FAFSA at the very beginning of the month.

We have not begun to award students for the academic year. I expect the awarding to begin within the next week. Once I have had a chance to award you the student loans that you are eligible for, you will receive an awards letter outlining the amounts that you are eligible for along with instructions on how to go about applying and accepting those loans.

So we may find out something soon. They are going to have to process everyone's info. I was told this back on Feb 19, and haven't got anything yet, but I'm sure they are working on it. I hope this helps.

A little more than 2 weeks till we're back in Buies Creek for Acceptance Day :)

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if the three scholarships available are offered to out of state students? Also, are the offers to apply for them given at the same time we receive our financial aid packets or at a later date? I do not expect to receive any offers but i would like more info on them. Thanks!

Does anyone know if the three scholarships available are offered to out of state students? Also, are the offers to apply for them given at the same time we receive our financial aid packets or at a later date? I do not expect to receive any offers but i would like more info on them. Thanks!

I was offered a scholarship and I am coming from out of state. It's based on your application, an essay, and your interview. They review your application for the scholarship when you have the deposit, background check and drug screening, and the signed documents sent in.

I am thinking about living in Fuquay-Varina or Holly Springs. Would any current students be able to comment on the feasibility of the commute?

I am thinking about living in Fuquay-Varina or Holly Springs. Would any current students be able to comment on the feasibility of the commute?
There are a lot of current students living in both places

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are a lot of current students living in both places

I live in Fuquay, it's 20-25 minutes depending on location within Fuquay. Holly springs I would say is 25-35 depending on location. I don't mind the commute at all. If I lived in the Creek I likely would need at least 30 minutes to wind down before hitting the books after class, so I just wind down in my car instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got called today for an interview for the end of February , however she said I was interviewing for a waitlist spot or something like that? Does anyone know what this is about?

I interviewed for the wait list LAST year. It quickly went from being 15 on the wait list, to number 8, to number 3, and accepted within a month. I deferred my acceptance so I will be attending this fall, but don't lose hope! Kill the interview and you still have a chance!! :)

I interviewed for the wait list LAST year. It quickly went from being 15 on the wait list, to number 8, to number 3, and accepted within a month. I deferred my acceptance so I will be attending this fall, but don't lose hope! Kill the interview and you still have a chance!! :)
When did you find out you were accepted? March? April?

When did you find out you were accepted? March? April?

I was actually accepted the 2nd day of school! hahahaha hence the deferment! It was a crazy. But seeing that there were many people ahead of me and it moved so quickly (I interviewed in late february for the wait list, was wait listed, informed that I was in the top tier in May, informed that I was top 15 in June, and accepted early August, when school had already started to be exact), there is still hope for everyone! I thought my hope was gone by summer and little did I know that I would receive that call at 5:30 pm on August 5th. :laugh:

Does anyone have advice on the Basic Life Support Skills requirement for matriculation? Is it just CPR? or does it need to be more specific?

Does anyone have advice on the Basic Life Support Skills requirement for matriculation? Is it just CPR? or does it need to be more specific?
My BLS encompassed AED, CPR, and choking for infant, child, and adults. I did mine at the local hospital. I hope that helps.

I signed up for a specific "BLS for Healthcare Providers" course. Like superjock's, my class included the AED and choking for adults, children, and infants

Hey guys, I got this message from CUSOM this morning and I was wondering if y'all think this is a good or bad thing at this time.....

"Thank you again for taking the time to complete your application to Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been placed on hold. Our committee is still interested in your candidacy and asked that your file be placed on hold for further review.

The Admissions Committee reviews completed applications periodically throughout the admission cycle. Should they choose to grant you an interview, you will be notified via telephone."

Cum GPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.47
MCAT: 26 (8,8,10)

Hey guys, I got this message from CUSOM this morning and I was wondering if y'all think this is a good or bad thing at this time.....

"Thank you again for taking the time to complete your application to Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been placed on hold. Our committee is still interested in your candidacy and asked that your file be placed on hold for further review.

The Admissions Committee reviews completed applications periodically throughout the admission cycle. Should they choose to grant you an interview, you will be notified via telephone."

Cum GPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.47
MCAT: 26 (8,8,10)
Unfortunately, I'd imagine most if not all of the interview spots are full for the rest of this cycle.

I interviewed JAN16th
Oh wow. Looks like I got passed up on the wait-list then. I was wait-listed back in September. Oh well either way im still going to medical school. I just would of loved it to be at Campbell.

Accepted off of the waitlist today. I'm ecstatic.

Hahah nice. I actually have up a paid deposit seat yesterday and got a confirmation email today. Id like to think it was my doing but really it was you and your patience! Good stuff and congrats

Hello - I have my interview scheduled for the 18th - I have a family emergency due to which I wont be able to sit in for the presentations after the interview - is it mandatory to attend the presentations as well ? just wondering

Hello - I have my interview scheduled for the 18th - I have a family emergency due to which I wont be able to sit in for the presentations after the interview - is it mandatory to attend the presentations as well ? just wondering
Your best bet is to call the school and explain your situation. I wouldn't take any advice offered here.