Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does affiliated mean CUSOM grads have better chances of getting ranked during match or just that attending will be affiliated with CUSOM? Will they be on AOA match or ACGME?

Most of the residencies are affiliated with one of the schools if you look on the AOA website.

I don't know if CUSOM students will have a better chance, but I would think there would be some advantage as the chance for interaction with those programs would be higher since some are at locations where clinical are or more likely to be able to rotate through on one of the elective rotations helping to get to secure your spot into one of the CUSOM affiliated programs.

As far as AOA or ACGME, they will be AOA for now, since CUSOM is an osteopathic school. But the match will be a combined match by 2020, and how that will affect us graduating in 2019 is hard to tell at this point. So we will have to wait and see what came of the AOA ACGME merger things that's just getting up and moving

Members don't see this ad.

Just received the call from Joy an hour ago...I'm going to be a doctor! Guess its time to change my status to Medical Student - Accepted? :soexcited: It still hasn't totally sunk in yet, but I'm so happy!

Reactions: 8 users
Congratulations

Attachments

• 1416510594717.jpg
    1416510594717.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the rejection email... honestly, I'm completely shocked. Thought my interviews went really well, but I guess not :/ I really fell in love with the school too. Sigh. Oh well. Time to move on.

Congrats to those who got in though :)

Just got the rejection email... honestly, I'm completely shocked. Thought my interviews went really well, but I guess not :/ I really fell in love with the school too. Sigh. Oh well. Time to move on.

Congrats to those who got in though :)

Sorry to hear that... I hope that the rest of rest of your interviews go well for you.

ACCEPTED! So excited. Still waiting on msucom, as its in my state and would save me a truckload of cash. This interview day sold me on CUSOM though.

Reactions: 4 users
ACCEPTED! So excited. Still waiting on msucom, as its in my state and would save me a truckload of cash. This interview day sold me on CUSOM though.

MSUCOM is definitely a good school too. And if you are instate that is a huge plus OOS tuition there is 80k a year I believe.

yes i agree. I would love to be able to stay in Michigan, but I love CUSOM, and I would not be disappointed to go.

Rejected. Shocked like everyone else. All my interviewers verbally raised up my hopes, one even told me that I am in as far she/he is concerned.

There was one very religious interviewer, who might have ruined it for me, not sure I guess.

oh well.

Rejected. Shocked like everyone else. All my interviewers verbally raised up my hopes, one even told me that I am in as far she/he is concerned.

There was one very religious interviewer, who might have ruined it for me, not sure I guess.

oh well.

If you're curious as to why you were rejected, I recommend calling Joy. She's very open to questions you might have on admissions decisions. That's what I did.

Is anybody concerned about not being able to set up rotations out of state for their fourth year? I noticed that CUSOM is not listed on the VSAS website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anybody concerned about not being able to set up rotations out of state for their fourth year? I noticed that CUSOM is not listed on the VSAS website.

"All COCA accredited AACOM member colleges, with rising fourth year classes, are VSAS home schools. Students enrolled at the schools below may use VSAS to submit applications."

May not be listed because of provisional accreditation, since it says all COCA accredited AACOMAS member colleges. Or it could be an out of date list.

There is also no ACOM, no MUCOM, no LUCOM, no LECOM-SH, or VCOM-CC and VCOM-AL listed. (I may have missed a few)

Also, this is just an application service. It doesn't mean the opportunities are not available, just that we may not be able to use the Visiting Student Application Service.

Question may be better answered by admissions or school faculty though.

yes i agree. I would love to be able to stay in Michigan, but I love CUSOM, and I would not be disappointed to go.

"All COCA accredited AACOM member colleges, with rising fourth year classes, are VSAS home schools. Students enrolled at the schools below may use VSAS to submit applications."

May not be listed because of provisional accreditation, since it says all COCA accredited AACOMAS member colleges. Or it could be an out of date list.

There is also no ACOM, no MUCOM, no LUCOM, no LECOM-SH, or VCOM-CC and VCOM-AL listed. (I may have missed a few)

Also, this is just an application service. It doesn't mean the opportunities are not available, just that we may not be able to use the Visiting Student Application Service.

Question may be better answered by admissions or school faculty though.

The satellite campuses of established schools should, I assume, also be considered a COCA accredited AACOM member college. Does anybody else have any insight into this matter? How else do students find opportunities for visiting rotations at CUSOM? Or are the rotations limited to CUSOM affiliated hospitals in NC?

The satellite campuses of established schools should, I assume, also be considered a COCA accredited AACOM member college. Does anybody else have any insight into this matter? How else do students find opportunities for visiting rotations at CUSOM? Or are the rotations limited to CUSOM affiliated hospitals in NC?
Dr. Kessler is the administrator that runs rotations here (last time I checked). Those with concerns could contact him for the most accurate information

When I interviewed, they talked about doing rotations in Florida if u wanted a certain residency, so I assume it is not a problem.

What are you talking about? That's not how it works. You simply contact the site and arranged for a rotation there. All the school, or any school for that matter, needs is open communication and documentation of your rotation.

I guess you could use the service if you want, but it's not necessary.

Am I the only person who is super excited to live close to a Bojangles?

Reactions: 2 users
Am I the only person who is super excited to live close to a Bojangles?

There is a plethora of good food down there. I'm not sure how good for you most of it I'd though.... But it sure will be good eating.

There is a plethora of good food down there. I'm not sure how good for you most of it I'd though.... But it sure will be good eating.
Cookout. You're welcome.

Reactions: 1 users
Cookout is all anyone at that school talked about when I was there for my interview. Even Joy had asked if we had tried cookout.
Get the combo. Best deal ever. You can get quesadillas/chicken wraps as sides and a shake as your drink for an extra buck. It's enough food for two people for about 6 bucks and about 30 times better than any other fast food restaurant. Please eat responsibly.

just got an interview invite! im trying to schedule my interview for the 26th of january or the 27th of january. anyone get an interview invite today?

I'm going to get so fat. I love fried chicken.
You applied to schools last year, didn't you? I think I remember seeing you around the forums. Either way, congratulations on getting into school!

Get the combo. Best deal ever. You can get quesadillas/chicken wraps as sides and a shake as your drink for an extra buck. It's enough food for two people for about 6 bucks and about 30 times better than any other fast food restaurant. Please eat responsibly.
I always get fries and onion rings or hush puppies. It all comes out tasting like onion rings. I'm surprised I haven't broken one of the OMM tables yet.

You applied to schools last year, didn't you? I think I remember seeing you around the forums. Either way, congratulations on getting into school!
Nope, this was my first cycle! I have been active since about April of last year though, so near the end of the last cycle. Thank you! I'm pretty excited to be accepted at CUSOM, since it's one of my top choices. Other top being Western, which I'm on hold at, and MSU... both of which I would have to seriously sit down with my finances and think about before I chose them over CUSOM anyways lol.

To future interviewees, enjoy their snacks and customized lunch.

What are you talking about? That's not how it works. You simply contact the site and arranged for a rotation there. All the school, or any school for that matter, needs is open communication and documentation of your rotation.

I guess you could use the service if you want, but it's not necessary.

I am figuring out all this stuff out as I go. I like to be as prepared as I can be.

I would rather not be relegated to the rotation sites associated with any single school. I am not sure how one goes about "contacting a site" without the standard service. Who do students contact? Is there somebody ay your school who connects you to the appropriate people at interested sites? Where can a student like myself gather more information on the process involved in securing and scheduling elective rotation sites?

I am figuring out all this stuff out as I go. I like to be as prepared as I can be.

I would rather not be relegated to the rotation sites associated with any single school. I am not sure how one goes about "contacting a site" without the standard service. Who do students contact? Is there somebody ay your school who connects you to the appropriate people at interested sites? Where can a student like myself gather more information on the process involved in securing and scheduling elective rotation sites?
Usually, you're allowed to do only a certain number of audition (away) rotations. I don't how many CUSOM lets you do to be honest, but I can ask. Most schools are that way.

Most of the rotations third year are in the hospitals and clinics that have contracts with the school. The website should have a list. I can try to find the link later.

Each rotation site should have a medical education director, someone who deals with medical students completing rotations within his or her system. You'd get into contact with him or her by finding the contact information on the system's website. CUSOM would have to approve it beforehand, but there shouldn't be an issue. At the end of the day, you'd need documentation stating the completion of the rotation from that site provided to CUSOM.

Edit: And I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to sound rude in my earlier post.

Someone responded to you saying "Dr. Kessler" is the guy at CUSOM to ask, so I would probably contact him.

Also, I'm pretty sure VSAS doesn't list CUSOM as a home school because CUSOM is currently only provisionally accredited, and their first class won't even be using VSAS until next year. To quote the website, "All COCA accredited AACOM member colleges, with rising fourth year classes, are VSAS home schools." CUSOM currently has no rising fourth year class.

You can also easily find contact info through the schools themselves. For instance, UNC Chapel Hill has this: https://www.med.unc.edu/ome/studentaffairs/visiting-student-program/md-and-do-visiting-students. I'll bet Google will find you the websites for all the others.

just got an interview invite! im trying to schedule my interview for the 26th of january or the 27th of january. anyone get an interview invite today?

I am interviewing on January 26th :)

I am interviewing on January 26th :)
ughhh i couldnt get the 26th :p ill be there the 27th. probably gunna stay at the hotel in lillington even tho it really shouldnt matter cuz you need to rent a car anyways and all the hotels are relatively close

This is Campbell really following through with what they set out to do, to create physicians for the rural areas of NC. Having a residency for each graduating student is a huge endeavor and no small task for a new school, but it looks like CUSOM is taking the steps to make it a reality. Well done and it gives me a huge amount of respect and confidence in the school!

Can I ask when you were complete? Congrats on the ii! :)
i dont recall exactly, i just remember submitting my app sometime in august and getting an "app completed email" about a month later then this lol

i dont recall exactly, i just remember submitting my app sometime in august and getting an "app completed email" about a month later then this lol

Okay, thanks! I was complete at the end of October so I feel better now after reading your post. Are you excited about your interview? :)

Okay, thanks! I was complete at the end of October so I feel better now after reading your post. Are you excited about your interview? :)
im pretty stoked. its my first interview of the cycle (btw i was complete beginning of october i just checked my records i was wrong about september) and they're a new school with residency opportunities in wakemed so it should be a good school.
for anyone interested my stats were 3.7c (3.6sGPA and 3.95 nonscience GPA) with a 26 MCAT (9/9/8) with research experience, hospital experience, tutoring iraqi refugee and tutoring genetics at my undergrad as my ECs.

im kinda hoping on hearing back from marian or CCOM/PCOM/NYIT or NSU-COM but i think im reaching a bit if im honest haha

Last edited:
im pretty stoked. its my first interview of the cycle (btw i was complete beginning of october i just checked my records i was wrong about september) and they're a new school with residency opportunities in wakemed so it should be a good school.
for anyone interested my stats were 3.7c (3.6sGPA and 3.95 nonscience GPA) with a 26 MCAT (9/9/8) with research experience, hospital experience, tutoring iraqi refugee and tutoring genetics at my undergrad as my ECs.

im kinda hoping on hearing back from marian or CCOM/PCOM/NYIT or NSU-COM but i think im reaching a bit if im honest haha

Thanks for sharing your completion date! Those other schools are more established and ranked higher if that's important to you. CUSOM's location will probably hurt it in some people's eyes. There's not all that much out there compared to NY, Philly, Chicago, etc.

I have my interview next Monday, anyone have any advice?

Have multiple questions in mind. You will most likely ask several to each interviewers.
Know several cons of CUSOM and why you want to attend there.
Be there early and enjoy the snacks there.

The cons? I know why I want to attend, but cons I'm not sure.