Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone who has been accepted get an email about the scholarship essay? Still waiting on that.

Me too. At the interview they said the interview has a lot of weight. Are you going for Dean's or Presidential?

Members don't see this ad.

Me too. At the interview they said the interview has a lot of weight. Are you going for Dean's or Presidential?
I'm going for the Dean's. I read somewhere that in order to eligible for the Presidential you need a 30 or above on the MCAT. For the Dean's, it's 24 or above.

I'm going for the Dean's. I read somewhere that in order to eligible for the Presidential you need a 30 or above on the MCAT. For the Dean's, it's 24 or above.

Yeah, I'm at least hoping for at least Dean's, but I'm eligible for the Presidential. They haven't sent any emails to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just had an interview here, I was amazed. The population of people there is incredible

Reactions: 4 users
anyone get a ii today? got an email from admissions that they were reviewing my app and were confirming that I'm still short a Physics class (taking in the spring)---not sure if I'll hear today but saw a few of you heard the same day as your complete email.

The interview day was awesome. It is clear the school has spared no expense in creating this school. I could really see myself at this school.

Just got an email, placed on hold. Anyone have any info on how CUSOM generally handles applicants placed on hold?

Yeah I totally agree, definitely something I am taking into account when making decisions (have had 2 interviews and as of now still have 7 more)... How do you feel about it being a student there?... Is it annoying at all for you to always go to class or do you find it valuable? I could go either way with the mandatory attendance... I feel like it could be a good thing if class/lecture time is used well and your actually learning, forces you to be engaged. Plus you get to know your classmates better being at school all day. On the other hand I don't want to be a month in and annoyed because I feel like I could use my time better on my own self studying/learning... Hard to tell because I'm not sure how I will feel with the material and structure of medical school.

I personally don't mode the mandatory attendance or the dress code. If you think about it. Once you've made it through, you're going to have to dress professionally just about every day (I know not for all specialties), and you will have a schedule that you have to adhere too. You can't just wake up one morning and go oh I just don't want to go to work today. So in a sense it's just a little understated prep for the real world. At least that partially how I look at it. But it's a matter of opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha I know exactly who you were, you were the one that loves the flyers. I sat pretty close to you
Yup! I know who you are by your display name, you were in the second group of interviews, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Congrats on your acceptance as well! Are you planning to attend this school? When do you have to submit your deposit by?

Thanks! Congrats on your acceptance as well! Are you planning to attend this school? When do you have to submit your deposit by?
Thanks..I'm seriously considering it.. it's a great school with a positive future. Deposits have to be in by Nov 15th

I am still waiting for the call, I got an II in the email on 8/21/15 and have not heard anything from them. The email said within the next 2 weeks. I am afraid they forgot about me :scared:
Do you think it is okay to email the admission and ask about the interview date? Or should I wait?
Thank You.

Most amazing interview experience ever! This was already my #1 choice for med school but the day exceeded my expectations even more. Here's hopin for a phone call on Wednesday!

Reactions: 6 users
I am still waiting for the call, I got an II in the email on 8/21/15 and have not heard anything from them. The email said within the next 2 weeks. I am afraid they forgot about me :scared:
Do you think it is okay to email the admission and ask about the interview date? Or should I wait?
Thank You.
I'd give them an email or you could just call... they are extremely friendly people, shouldn't be an issue at all!

I personally don't mode the mandatory attendance or the dress code. If you think about it. Once you've made it through, you're going to have to dress professionally just about every day (I know not for all specialties), and you will have a schedule that you have to adhere too. You can't just wake up one morning and go oh I just don't want to go to work today. So in a sense it's just a little understated prep for the real world. At least that partially how I look at it. But it's a matter of opinion.

I agree, the dress code is completely understandable and I am actually for dress codes... But as far as the attendance goes how lenient are they? I know acom has an 80/20 rule where you are allowed to miss 20% of lectures. Does Campbell have a similar policy? I just want to know how the attendance works if you decide to take a day off here or there...I mean I am paying around 50k a year and think that I should be able to decide if I can take a day off and study from home if I feel inclined to.

I agree, the dress code is completely understandable and I am actually for dress codes... But as far as the attendance goes how lenient are they? I know acom has an 80/20 rule where you are allowed to miss 20% of lectures. Does Campbell have a similar policy? I just want to know how the attendance works if you decide to take a day off here or there...I mean I am paying around 50k a year and think that I should be able to decide if I can take a day off and study from home if I feel inclined to.

I'm not sure exactly how they break it up, but you are allowed to miss a certain amount of lectures. Like for Cell Bio/Biochem this block we can miss 8 lectures I believe. But for micro/immuno it's only 6. But there is a larger concentration of cell bio/biochem this block for us MS1s

Reactions: 2 users
85/15

I know that many more people lurk these forums than actually post, so I'm tossing this out for whatever possible community benefit it has: I interviewed here yesterday, and, like seemingly everyone else in this thread, I was left extremely impressed. The facilities were every bit as top-notch as I'd been led to believe; the staff was friendly, polished, and very professional; and the interview day was as low-stress as possible. The level of board preparation the school facilitates/requires is awesomely extensive, and the students seem to be held to a very high standard.

Don't pass them up if you get the chance; CUSOM puts a VERY strong foot forward!

Reactions: 6 users
Got a II a couple hours ago!! In a meeting grining ear to ear

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!!!!!:):) Top choice! Look for some openings at some other interview slots because I'm looking no further!!:):)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I'm unfamiliar with the definition of pbl....

Problem based learning, where you are given a case and trying to figure out the solution while learning at the same time.

I have a question. Are there any PBL based classes in Campbell?

No, the students flat out say no. There is a lot of structure in CUSOM curriculum.

It's straight out a waste of time to give a case to a bunch of premeds and tell them to look on the internet to find the answer than come back in 48 hrs to discuss about it. It's LECOM way of saving money which is reflected in the lower tuition.

No, the students flat out say no. There is a lot of structure in CUSOM curriculum.

It's straight out a waste of time to give a case to a bunch of premeds and tell them to look on the internet to find the answer than come back in 48 hrs to discuss about it. It's LECOM way of saving money which is reflected in the lower tuition.
It has to have some benefit? Lecom-B students scored really well in boards

Accepted as well! I'm very excited for the opportunity to come here!

Reactions: 5 users
All these acceptances and I'm sitting here like...where's my phone call

First post on here, long time lurker. Accepted here today as well!

It's because the students that have the opportunity to take the boards are already pre-screened by the school.
The school has the ability to deny a student from signing up and taking a board test? That is the first I have heard of that.

Seems like they have accepted a high number of people already. Haven't gotten a secondary yet but sort of wondering if my chances are going to be slim this late in the game. Any thoughts?
Depends on where you are in the process. What have you submitted? The sooner you get everything in the better in the rolling admissions game. This is one of the newer schools so they may have more movement or people not accepting their spots. Seems like everyone on SDN is really high on this school though. Just my thoughts after lurking on here.

Last edited:
I have everything in, this was a school I added later on in the process. Only thing holding me back is the secondary. I'm going to go for it, based on my impression it seems like a great place to apply to. Thanks!
If you could see yourself going here then power through that secondary. We are still early in the cycle so if you have the stats to back it up I'm sure you'll get an II

Be realistic with me, if I didn't receive a call today and I interviewed Monday, should I assume I got denied?

Be realistic with me, if I didn't receive a call today and I interviewed Monday, should I assume I got denied?

I would say most likely, CUSOM said that they meet the next morning after interviews and then call the ones that got accepted then the others get a rejection email on Friday... But you never know maybe they didn't get through everyone today and you'll get a call later in the week... Either way the cycle is still early and plenty more time for interviews to come.

Anything via email? I was surprised to hear today since they said we wouldn't be getting a call until Friday. Until you hear bad news, keep your hopes up!

I've yet to interview but I remember when I scheduled mine the lady told me interview Monday, adcom meets Wednesday, and decision is announced Friday.

Last edited: