Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bobble head in the mail today

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
This school is so awesome they sent me a "Campbell Medicine" shirt before I put down a deposit. They are really tempting me to possibly attend with all their pros.

Ugh same here, im so tempted to attend here, but im torn between CUSOM and LECOM-B

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh same here, im so tempted to attend here, but im torn between CUSOM and LECOM-B
Same here, just with CUSOM and LECOM Erie. The non mandatory classes in the dsp pathway at Erie may be my deciding factor though

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
can someone just tell me about this school? Pros and Cons? it seems like people like it a lot what makes it great?

I am seriously considering accepting my offer to CUSOM but I just want to get a better understanding from some current students. Does the required lecture affect any of you? Does it hurt you? Benefit you? I know from personal experience in Undergrad that I learn better from just listening to the recordings. What about the required dress code?I know that may be silly to some people but if I am being forced to go to lecture every day at 8 AM after (many) long nights of studying and I have to put on a shirt and tie each time.....To me it just seems silly. Are you allowed to wear scrubs to class instead of dress clothes?
I'm not a big fan of mandatory attendance. But many people aren't and this is what we all do: pick a seat in the back rows where you are a bit hidden, get some decent earbuds that don't leak, and do your own thing. Admin doesn't like the huge headphones like Dr. Dre or Bose because they tend to leak sound and that may bother the people around you, which I find reasonable, but they are fine with earbuds. I find that while it certainly annoys me, it's not the worst thing. Several of my classmates seem to like it because they say it forces them to keep up. It's true that as long as you attend a pay attention to lecture, you'll at least always be somewhat caught up, which is good. For them, it's actually a pro. For me, it's still a con.

Dress code is annoying at first but you kind of just get used to it. I literally have like 5-8 outfits that I just grab in the morning depending on what is clean. Most of the guys seem to just rotate through a selection of 5-10 shirts/ties. It is kind of silly, but it's also not that big of a deal. The vast majority of us will change into anatomy or OMM clothes right after lecture ends, depending on what lab we have in the afternoon, or just to get comfy. Trust me, this is not a deciding factor. Mandatory attendance might be, but not dress code.
can someone just tell me about this school? Pros and Cons? it seems like people like it a lot what makes it great?
I'm going to copy-paste some answers I've given in PMs to people.

"As far as I could see, there were 3 notable cons of CUSOM - new school, mandatory attendance, and dress code. The dress code, as a female, isn't really a big deal because they are more lax with us. The mandatory attendance I deal with by sitting in the back with headphones, also not a big deal. And the new school part is balanced out by this major pro - the administration is very, very attentive, responsive, and caring. They listen to our complaints about anything from curriculum to test questions to temperature in various rooms to having microwaves and they honestly try to make us happy to be here. I know that seems abstract, but being in an environment where everyone around you cares about your success is a huge, huge plus. Professors have open door policy and even if they don't, they are all very responsive to emails. I've never had to wait longer than a day to get a response from ANY professor (barring weekends, and most of the time not even then). They base their curriculum around the boards, so pretty much everything is board relevant. Even the PhDs like Dr. Traore use board prep material to guide their lectures. Overall, they just put in the extra effort to make sure you - and as a result, them - succeed. On the flip side, sometimes it feels like they are holding my hand almost too much, but for the most part, people seem to like that. I think as you go to different schools, you'll see a difference when the administration really cares and when they're kind of meh.

I think my favorite part of CUSOM is the student body. Somehow, they've managed to select for overwhelmingly positive and enthusiastic people. Students are VERY VERY supportive of each other. We've received tons of materials from our upperclassmen, including book PDFs, old notes, etc. If you fail a class in a block, you have remediation week, where you attend supplemental lectures to get a second chance at passing - if you put in the work and ask for help when you need it, faculty really try to work with you. Our class is super collaborative - people will post any material they make that might be helpful, including notes, charts, Anki decks, whatever. I can't think of a single person in our class I would genuinely classify as a gunner.

Otherwise, CUSOM was cheaper than other schools I got into, so I came here. Buies Creek is definitely rural, but I live in Fuquay for easier access to Raleigh, so I don't mind that either. I can't think of much else - I'm pleased with my decision and I do not feel like I will be underprepared at all in comparison to other schools. CUSOM is also starting a bunch of residencies, conveniently, so at least you know there are a bunch of primary care (and a random derm and EM and gen surg) residency that you'll have a leg up into.

A small con: People down south are religious. Nothing terribly overt or weird, but it is very public. I don't know where you're from, but from where I came from, that was kind of a mini-culture shock."

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
GOT THE DEANS SCHOLARSHIP!! Big question now is can I upgrade to the Presidential throughout med school if I get a baller gpa? Want that presidential. I got my eye on the prize.

GOT THE DEANS SCHOLARSHIP!! Big question now is can I upgrade to the Presidential throughout med school if I get a baller gpa? Want that presidential. I got my eye on the prize.

I don't think that's how it works.

Withdrawing my acceptance from here. I honestly really liked this school, staff was amazing, but 44k, in compared to 33k at LECOM-B wasnt really justified. Good Luck to everyone, and I hope my spot goes to one of you who really wants to attend this school, which shows great promise!

Reactions: 1 users
Question: Can I get the ball rolling by completing the background check and drug screen without putting down a deposit until I have to? I love this school but am still waiting on a response from anther school to make my decision. If I am rejected from that other school then I believe this would be my top choice which is why I would like to start getting everything rolling. ALSO, does anyone know how much the background check and drug screen cost?

Question: Can I get the ball rolling by completing the background check and drug screen without putting down a deposit until I have to? I love this school but am still waiting on a response from anther school to make my decision. If I am rejected from that other school then I believe this would be my top choice which is why I would like to start getting everything rolling. ALSO, does anyone know how much the background check and drug screen cost?
I would wait until you put a deposit down. It's possible your other school will want a drug test/background check as well, but will want to use a different company, and then you'd have to pay for another one. There is no point in going through the trouble for a school you might not end up at.

Members don't see this ad :)

i did the same stupid mistake, I paid 100 bucks for the background check and 29.00 for the drug test, just to get the ball rolling, and 4 days later decided i wanted to go to LECOM-B, which i think uses a different company, so I practically wasted 129.00

i did the same stupid mistake, I paid 100 bucks for the background check and 29.00 for the drug test, just to get the ball rolling, and 4 days later decided i wanted to go to LECOM-B, which i think uses a different company, so I practically wasted 129.00
How long did it take to complete those two things to consider them "complete" for Campbell?

How long did it take to complete those two things to consider them "complete" for Campbell?

it took 2 days for background test, and drug test i paid for it but never went in because im not going to campbell anymore lmfao!

Can anyone comment regarding any good gyms near CUSOM (not crossfit). I heard the undergrad gym is fairly small.. In addition, the rumor is that the new nursing building that is being built right next to CUSOM might possibly have a gym??

Can anyone comment regarding any good gyms near CUSOM (not crossfit). I heard the undergrad gym is fairly small.. In addition, the rumor is that the new nursing building that is being built right next to CUSOM might possibly have a gym??
I've also heard from faculty in the DPT program that there will be a gym in the new building next door!

I would wait until you put a deposit down. It's possible your other school will want a drug test/background check as well, but will want to use a different company, and then you'd have to pay for another one. There is no point in going through the trouble for a school you might not end up at.

The directions clearly state that you must complete your background/drug test ALONG with your deposit to save your seat....so yes, I would get the checks done if you are considering this school.

The directions clearly state that you must complete your background/drug test ALONG with your deposit to save your seat....so yes, I would get the checks done if you are considering this school.
They must have changed it. I don't remember the wording exactly, but the deposit was basically good for saving the seat because that's what I did and then I did the drug test a couple weeks later. Would probably email Joy about it. They understand it's harder to get to the appropriate drug test location vs mailing a check. I still maintain that there's no point in wasting ~$100 for a drug test that you might end up having to redo.

Probably the best quality gym is in Fuquay, called O2. It's about $40 a month (I think?), which includes a ton of classes and it is supposedly a really nice gym. There are another couple of gyms closer than Fuquay, but I don't remember the names. No idea about a gym popping up in the new building, they have not announced that if it is true. Even if it is, it will likely be small and overcrowded.

They must have changed it. I don't remember the wording exactly, but the deposit was basically good for saving the seat because that's what I did and then I did the drug test a couple weeks later. Would probably email Joy about it. They understand it's harder to get to the appropriate drug test location vs mailing a check. I still maintain that there's no point in wasting ~$100 for a drug test that you might end up having to redo.

Probably the best quality gym is in Fuquay, called O2. It's about $40 a month (I think?), which includes a ton of classes and it is supposedly a really nice gym. There are another couple of gyms closer than Fuquay, but I don't remember the names. No idea about a gym popping up in the new building, they have not announced that if it is true. Even if it is, it will likely be small and overcrowded.
Thanks for the response! When I talked with one current med student I believed one said that tuition payed for the local gym that was about five minutes away from campus??

Is the class really full already??
Not sure if it is full but just got emailed and the interview date was end of January and it said that we were possibly interviewing for a waitlist spot. It did add that being on the waitlist isn't a bad thing because there is a lot of movement but ya...

Not sure if it is full but just got emailed and the interview date was end of January and it said that we were possibly interviewing for a waitlist spot. It did add that being on the waitlist isn't a bad thing because there is a lot of movement but ya...
Okay, thanks for the fast response!

i interviewed yesterday and the class isn't full yet so everyone is either accepted or rejected. once the class is full they will wait list so anyone who withdraws will be another spot open!

Reactions: 3 users
I will be withdrawing my acceptance here.

Thanks for the response! When I talked with one current med student I believed one said that tuition payed for the local gym that was about five minutes away from campus??
They were most likely referring to the gym on the undergraduate campus, which is <5 min drive away from the medical campus.

@polylux as you are a current student, are you concerned in any way about rotations, residencies, or research? From what I can compile, the only con about this school is that it is only on its third year but in all reality I still don't think that is much of a con.

@polylux as you are a current student, are you concerned in any way about rotations, residencies, or research? From what I can compile, the only con about this school is that it is only on its third year but in all reality I still don't think that is much of a con.

From what I have gotten and researching other schools....CUSOM, though new, is pretty much on par IF NOT BETTER than most other established schools. And the fact they have tried to personalize my acceptance is really pushing me to go to them.

It's an understandable worry, but personally, I am not concerned. A lot of medical school is what you make of it. Being at a more established school won't help you any if you don't take advantage of the opportunities around you. On the other hand, a proactive student can always find an opportunity somewhere. Maybe that means applying to a bunch of summer REUs at different schools for research, or working really hard on away rotations, or whatever. Despite the relatively small amount of research opportunities, the students who care about it are already getting involved. The rotations are being improved through student feedback and will only get better and better. You will have to work hard to get your residency of choice - but you'll have to do that no matter what school you're in.

It's an understandable worry, but personally, I am not concerned. A lot of medical school is what you make of it. Being at a more established school won't help you any if you don't take advantage of the opportunities around you. On the other hand, a proactive student can always find an opportunity somewhere. Maybe that means applying to a bunch of summer REUs at different schools for research, or working really hard on away rotations, or whatever. Despite the relatively small amount of research opportunities, the students who care about it are already getting involved. The rotations are being improved through student feedback and will only get better and better. You will have to work hard to get your residency of choice - but you'll have to do that no matter what school you're in.
From what I have gotten and researching other schools....CUSOM, though new, is pretty much on par IF NOT BETTER than most other established schools. And the fact they have tried to personalize my acceptance is really pushing me to go to them.

I've had to work hard all my life to get what I've wanted academically so working hard to get residencies will be no foreign ground. I expect it to be hard.

For research, I would really like to find something asap there so maybe during summer after year 1 I could do some work. I would start looking upon entering but I just hope there are spots open to students who are willing to put in the effort.

I have worries about CUSOM not having a graduating class yet, but I also have a gut feeling about this school. Is it bad going with my gut on this school over VCOM-CC which already has a graduating class with residency matches?

I've had to work hard all my life to get what I've wanted academically so working hard to get residencies will be no foreign ground. I expect it to be hard.

For research, I would really like to find something asap there so maybe during summer after year 1 I could do some work. I would start looking upon entering but I just hope there are spots open to students who are willing to put in the effort.

I have worries about CUSOM not having a graduating class yet, but I also have a gut feeling about this school. Is it bad going with my gut on this school over VCOM-CC which already has a graduating class with residency matches?
I can't give you an answer to this question. You already know my choice. I would just sit down and be honest with yourself: is the security of having previous graduating classes important to you? If it is, how important is it? Why do you like CUSOM and why do you like VCOM? Which reasons are more important to you? Don't base your decision off what other people have to say - we're all biased one way or the other. Figure out what you really want from a school and pick which one suits you best.

I will be putting my deposit down today : ) .... I have the opportunity to go to more "established" schools but Campbell impressed me....and cared... much more than the other schools. Maybe i'll be wrong in 2 - 3 years but i'm happy with my decision and can't wait to start. FOR CURRENT STUDENTS: have the 3rd years said anything about their rotations? Any good/bad news?

I have a big question. I got the deans scholarship, but I am also thinking about HPSP. Say I do both. Does the deans scholarship money no longer exist, or do I still get to pocket it in addition to the financial benefits of HPSP? I would hate to join HPSP and have that scholarship money dissappear.

I have a big question. I got the deans scholarship, but I am also thinking about HPSP. Say I do both. Does the deans scholarship money no longer exist, or do I still get to pocket it in addition to the financial benefits of HPSP? I would hate to join HPSP and have that scholarship money dissappear.

Since HPSP covers 100% of tuition and needed materials and gives you a monthly living stipend, you won't need much of a scholarship. I imagine that the Dean's scholarship is intended for those who could use the help paying for tuition! I'm under the impression that it's not exactly for pocket money. That'd be nice though!

Please don't do that. The military will take care of you. Leave the money for others who need it. Congrats on the scholarship.

Is there a faceboook group for class of 2020 for campbell?

Please help me....

If you are financially limited and you got an interview invite, possibility for the wait list, is it still reasonable to attend?

Please help me....

If you are financially limited and you got an interview invite, possibility for the wait list, is it still reasonable to attend?

Do it. This is one school you won't want to miss out on. Interview money is miniscule in the grand scheme, so don't limit yourself. I know it's tough advice, because I too had to take out loans to cover my ints.

To those of you that have either been accepted or have received interview invites, can you provide some insight into the email I just received? Should I be looking forward to a secondary soon?

Thank you for submitting your primary application to Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been reviewed and at this moment we would like to bring your application to the Pre-Screen Committee for an in depth review. We are very interested in your candidacy and will be discussing your application within the next few weeks.

Ok..so I'm not the most tech savvy person so here it comes: how do I make my letters available through interfolio??? I have no clue, never used it before

To those of you that have either been accepted or have received interview invites, can you provide some insight into the email I just received? Should I be looking forward to a secondary soon?

Thank you for submitting your primary application to Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been reviewed and at this moment we would like to bring your application to the Pre-Screen Committee for an in depth review. We are very interested in your candidacy and will be discussing your application within the next few weeks.

It means you're not meeting one of their cut offs and they're going to review you tomorrow. Could be gpa or a subsection on the mcat. I have a 503 but I did poorly on the physics section and received that email (123).

Hey guys to those of you who have already heard back after interviews, how long did it take for them to contact you with a decision either by phone/email?

just got an interview invite. said they'll send another email with interview dates. am i interviewing for a spot on waitlist?

thanks

Is anyone still waiting for a call to schedule an interview? I received an interview invite on 11/16 but still haven't gotten a call/email to schedule.

I received a secondary and an II after being reviewed by the pre-screen committee. It is certainly plausible to expect a secondary.

Hey guys to those of you who have already heard back after interviews, how long did it take for them to contact you with a decision either by phone/email?
Interviewed on a Monday and received the acceptance early that same Wednesday

It means you're not meeting one of their cut offs and they're going to review you tomorrow. Could be gpa or a subsection on the mcat. I have a 503 but I did poorly on the physics section and received that email (123).

I received a secondary and an II after being reviewed by the pre-screen committee. It is certainly plausible to expect a secondary.

These are my stats, so I'm hoping that this is a "secondary soon to follow" sign.
3.54 cGPA, 3.74 sGPA, 505 MCAT (126,123,129,127) verbal nowhere near my norm (avg 127-128)