Can someone estimate what are my chances for these schools in the Midwest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tantalum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am new to these forums and was hoping that I could get some opinions as to how likely I am to be accepted at certain schools.
I am a Junior from WI and looking to apply to many Allopathic schools.

Cumulative GPA: 3.45
Science GPA: 3.60
MCAT: 30 Total - PS:11 - VR:8 - BS:11
Retaking MCAT in a few days. Predicting a score of 30-32 (hopefully)
Extracurriculars: Tutoring 8 mo., Volunteering at a Hospital 4 mo., Minor Healthcare Research 4 mo., on-campus summer job.
Will be shadowing a physician soon.

I want to attend these schools in the order given:
Rush Medical College - Chicago
Rosalind Franklin School of Medicine - Chicago
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine - Madison, WI
Medical College of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, WI
UIC School of Medicine - Chicago
Loyola Stritch School of Medicine - Chicago

I understand that my low GPA, lack of EC's and low MCAT are minimizing my chances.
I would like to know how likely are my chances at all these schools, and I would love to hear any other recommendations!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi! I think that overall you have a pretty decent chance of getting into any of those schools. And that if you apply to all of them you should get into at least one.
You have a high science gpa and high science mcat. Your weakness is your mcat verbal, and cumulative gpa. However the high science gpa and mcat balances it out.
You do however need to have at least decent
1-research
2- volunteer work
3- shadowing
4- extra curriculars
Are you up to date on those?
And also do you have any specific reason for the lower mcat verbal and cumulative gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

I am new to these forums and was hoping that I could get some opinions as to how likely I am to be accepted at certain schools.

Extracurriculars: Tutoring 8 mo., Volunteering at a Hospital 4 mo., Minor Healthcare Research 4 mo., on-campus summer job.

Madison School of Medicine - Madison, WI
Milwaukee College of Medicine - Milwaukee, WI

I understand that my low GPA, lack of EC's and low MCAT are minimizing my chances.
I would like to know how likely are my chances at all these schools, and I would love to hear any other recommendations!
Wait why are you retaking the MCAT if you're predicting to only score between your current score and 2 points higher? You should only take it if you're confident you can get at least a 34. 30 to 32 isn't that big of a difference. I think you have a good shot currently.

Reactions: 12 users
Wait why are you retaking the MCAT if you're predicting to only score between your current score and 2 points higher? You should only take it if you're confident you can get at least a 34. 30 to 32 isn't that big of a difference. I think you have a good shot currently.
I second this. I did even realize you were retaking the mcat-missed it. There's no point in doing so unless your confident you can get that 8 verbal to a 11. So in short don't retake it.
You do have another semester though. Why do t you try to get you CGPA up?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there,

Are you from Wisconsin originally? If so that is your best bet, the Wisconsin schools. You might want to check out the names of the schools first before you write anything to them though ;)

Are you from Wisconsin originally? If so that is your best bet, the Wisconsin schools. You might want to check out the names of the schools first before you write anything to them though ;)

Agreed.

Should be Medical College of Wisconsin, NOT Milwaukee College of Medicine.

Apply EARLY (can't stress that enough - like early June early) with those stats (try to raise your cGPA a little this semester). That coupled with being a WI resident should put you in a good position for those schools. Do some research on those schools too (including learning their names), and pump up your EC's.

I think that you are competitive for all except UIC. For OOS schools, you need to be above avg.
BTW, it's Medical College of Wisconsin and U WI-Madison.

Do NOT apply until you have the best possible package.

You should add CCOM, MUCOM and DMU to the list. Also, SLU.

I would like to know how likely are my chances at all these schools, and I would love to hear any other recommendations![/QUOTE]

Hi! I think that overall you have a pretty decent chance of getting into any of those schools. And that if you apply to all of them you should get into at least one.
You have a high science gpa and high science mcat. Your weakness is your mcat verbal, and cumulative gpa. However the high science gpa and mcat balances it out.
You do however need to have at least decent
1-research
2- volunteer work
3- shadowing
4- extra curriculars
Are you up to date on those?
And also do you have any specific reason for the lower mcat verbal and cumulative gpa?

Thanks, yeah I've just never enjoyed the non-science subjects. Hence the lower verbal and cumulative GPA. My cumulative non-science GPA is pathetic.
I plan on doing heavy physician shadowing all summer long (30hrs/week).
I will be applying this cycle, so will it be worth it? Will I be able to put it on my AMCAS for schools to see in time?
My research is minor, involving studying the EHR of select few hospitals in Chicago (i have not been published).

Last edited:
It is far too late to reschedule and I don't want to void, which in my opinion looks worse.
Also, I had the impression a 30 was not good enough for any of these schools considering my GPA.
So I was thinking at least a 2 point jump would make a big difference, and it does looking at nationwide percentile differences.
Looking at the AAMC statistics in the past, I would have been a good applicant, say in 2005.

Last edited:
It is far too late to reschedule and I don't want to void, which in my opinion looks worse.
Also, I had the impression a 30 was not good enough for any of these schools considering my GPA.
So I was thinking at least a 2 point jump would make a big difference, and it does looking at nationwide percentile differences.
Looking at the AAMC statistics in the past, I would have been a good applicant, say in 2005.
They won't know if you void the test. That's your business. If you're not confident you'll do much better then I agree with the others that you shouldn't take the test.

Thanks, yeah I've just never enjoyed the non-science subjects. Hence the lower verbal and cumulative GPA. My cumulative non-science GPA is pathetic.
I will be applying this cycle, so will it be worth it? Will I be able to put it on my AMCAS for schools to see in time?
My research is minor, involving studying the EHR of select few hospitals in Chicago (i have not been published).
That's a red flag. If schools think you can only perform when you like something then they won't take you. A lot of stuff in medical school isn't going to be super fascinating.
I think that you are competitive for all except UIC. For OOS schools, you need to be above avg.
BTW, it's Medical College of Wisconsin and U WI-Madison.

Do NOT apply until you have the best possible package.

You should add CCOM, MUCOM and DMU to the list. Also, SLU.

I agree with Goro that you're probably competitive for all of them except for UIC. Be mindful of the fact that Loyola and Rush have a primary care focus so they'll be looking for a good clinical experience. Rush also seems to prefer people who have been out of college for a little while.

Reactions: 2 users
They won't know if you void the test. That's your business. If you're not confident you'll do much better then I agree with the others that you shouldn't take the test.

That's a red flag. If schools think you can only perform when you like something then they won't take you. A lot of stuff in medical school isn't going to be super fascinating.

I agree with Goro that you're probably competitive for all of them except for UIC. Be mindful of the fact that Loyola and Rush have a primary care focus so they'll be looking for a good clinical experience. Rush also seems to prefer people who have been out of college for a little while.

I am currently a Loyola student. However, their average MCAT is 33. Does being a student give you THAT much of an advantage? Or do they not care that much?
I am very familiar with their mission, Jesuit education, outlook and passion for service.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a Loyola student. However, their average MCAT is 33. Does being a student give you THAT much of an advantage? Or do they not care that much?
I am very familiar with their mission, Jesuit education, outlook and passion for service.
Medical schools really look for people that fulfill their mission. So if you do, then yes they do care. However, you're still probably not going to be their first pick if you're that far below the median. If you do apply there, make sure you address their mission in your secondary.

Only 8% of matriculants were graduates of the UG program, so no.

Do not retake the MCAT.

If you do retake the MCAT, because you are stupid, then please void the test unless you are positive that you dominated it. Med schools will not see if you voided the test, but they will see all your scores if you take it more than once.

A 33 may be average for some of those schools, but a 30 is within striking distance. Not everyone is average.

Reactions: 1 users
I am not seeing evidence of passion for service among your ECs. Have you considered waiting a year to apply to beef up your ECs and improve your cGPA? Applying "early" with most of your planned shadowing yet to be completed isn't going to help your case. Yes, you can list future planned activities, but they aren't much regarded by adcomms since it isn't uncommon for such a plan to fall by the wayside when "life happens."

Agreed.
Should be Medical College of Wisconsin, NOT Milwaukee College of Medicine.

Also note OP that it's the UW School of Medicine and Public Health, not Madison School of Medicine :cat: They take pride in being one of the only schools of public health in the country (If not THE only, I'd have to look in to that.)

Do not retake the MCAT.

If you do retake the MCAT, because you are stupid, then please void the test unless you are positive that you dominated it. Med schools will not see if you voided the test, but they will see all your scores if you take it more than once.

A 33 may be average for some of those schools, but a 30 is within striking distance. Not everyone is average.

I have been scoring 33-35 on the later AAMCs, however I don't feel they are very representative.
I want to know how an improvement of even 1 or 2 points is not beneficial.
I see people say this a lot without any basis, an improvement is good no matter what, and will make you a better applicant. Improvements of 1 or 2 points are JUMPS of 10-15% in nationwide percentiles, how can that be a bad thing?

I am not seeing evidence of passion for service among your ECs. Have you considered waiting a year to apply to beef up your ECs and improve your cGPA? Applying "early" with most of your planned shadowing yet to be completed isn't going to help your case. Yes, you can list future planned activities, but they aren't much regarded by adcomms since it isn't uncommon for such a plan to fall by the wayside when "life happens."

The tutoring was at multiple underprivileged high schools throughout the Chicago area.
I agree, I'll probably have to squeeze in ECs this semester.
Taking a year off is one thing I will ABSOLUTELY NOT do.
I would rather go to an Osteopathic school.

Also, don't comment on the misnaming of the two schools, I fixed it.

Last edited:
I have been scoring 33-35 on the later AAMCs, however I don't feel they are very representative.
I see people say this a lot without any basis, an improvement is good no matter what, and will make you a better applicant. Improvements of 1 or 2 points are JUMPS of 10-15% in nationwide percentiles, how can that be a bad thing?
You're thinking as if you will automatically be granted a least a 30 just because you scored that the first time. The fact that you said you are hoping to score between 30-32 sounds like you are not very confident in yourself. Which means that you can very well do worse than the first time, which would then look really bad. All it takes is a mini-breakdown, one bad passage, and you can easily get a 27, making your 30 look like luck. I don't think you should retake because you can just as easily do worse than better. The risk of doing worse outweighs a 1-2 point increase in my opinion.

Reactions: 4 users
To add to @miamiheatfan 's comment, even if you don't do worse but get the same score, a 30, it won't look good. Med schools see every MCAT score you get. If they see you get two 30s, they'll be wondering why on earth you took it again without significantly improving, which could cause them to question your judgement and how seriously you're taking the process.

Reactions: 3 users
1) I hate to say this but that fact that you say your "cumulative non science gpa is pathetic is really a red flag. Medical schools like well rounded applications.
2) your going to apply to medical school in June so anything you do this summer won't go on your app.
3) you haven't really done any research or clinical volunteer work.
4) please don't retake the mcat. If you retake it and do worse your screwed. If you retake it and get a 30 your screwed. If you retake it and get a 31-32 it won't help at all. (I know the percentile is different and normally a 32 is better but the fact you retook it cancels it out). So unless you can get a 33-34 it's not worth retaking in. And people normally score 1-3 points lower than their practice tests. So you'll probably just get a 30-31 again and it's not worth it- trust us were all agreeing on this. Or at the very least take it and if you don't think you acted it void the score. Med schools will never know.

Overall, these are your two options. 1) If you apply this cycle, your lack of research, healthcare volunteer work, shadowing, and "pathetic" non science cumulative gpa might doom you into just getting into a DO school(I hope Atleast) you'll have to apply very very broadly and to many DOs and expect to go to a DO school but you may get lucky and get into one of those MD schools.
2) you take a year off and do this. A) this summer you do a research program b) next year you take a bunch of regular courses that you like and are easy As to bring up your cumulative gpa c) next year you take part in sone meaningful E.C as well as volunteer work and shadowing
and apply.then. You'll then have a good gpa and mcat AND great E.C, volunteer work, research, and shadowing, and you'll be in a great shot to get into any if your top choices.

2) your going to apply to medical school in June so anything you do this summer won't go on your app.
Secondary applications often ask what you've done since you applied, and summer experiences can always be brought up in interviews or sent to schools as an update.

Secondary applications often ask what you've done since you applied, and summer experiences can always be brought up in interviews or sent to schools as an update.
The thing is they won't take it seriously until it's actually done. So just writing in your application "I will do this" means nothing. It will only matter in the interview when it's done. But without it he might not get an interview, and because he's doing it last minute they might just think he's doing it to check in boxes (which he is lol)

The thing is they won't take it seriously until it's actually done. So just writing in your application "I will do this" means nothing. It will only matter in the interview when it's done. But without it he might not get an interview, and because he's doing it last minute they might just think he's doing it to check in boxes (which he is lol)
It won't carry as much weight if it isn't already done, but I wouldn't say it means nothing. It's better than looking like he's not planning to do anything.

Reactions: 1 users

The tutoring was at multiple underprivileged high schools throughout the Chicago area.
I agree, I'll probably have to squeeze in ECs this semester.
Taking a year off is one thing I will ABSOLUTELY NOT do.
I would rather go to an Osteopathic school.

Also, don't comment on the misnaming of the two schools, I fixed it.
Why are you so against taking a year off? It seems to me like it's becoming more common for schools to prefer students who have taken time off (if not only because they can build more impressive applications with the extra time).

Other people have kind of answered why it's bad to retake a good MCAT score but here is my perspective. Let's say you do take the MCAT again and you get a 32.

Well, the schools that wouldn't accept you because of your MCAT score before still probably won't accept you because you didn't jump up by very much (they might think you had a bad day last time, which doesn't help your case very much). On the other hand, the schools that would have been fine with your 30 before now know that you thought you could do better but ended up with a similar result (which could to them show immaturity or arrogance). This is ignoring the fact that the months that you spend studying for another MCAT could be better spent doing other things, and the possibility that you do worse. That is why it's not advisable that you take it again unless you are reasonably confident that you'll raise it by a good amount.

1) I hate to say this but that fact that you say your "cumulative non science gpa is pathetic is really a red flag. Medical schools like well rounded applications.
3) you haven't really done any research or clinical volunteer work.
4) please don't retake the mcat. If you retake it and do worse your screwed. If you retake it and get a 30 your screwed. If you retake it and get a 31-32 it won't help at all. (I know the percentile is different and normally a 32 is better but the fact you retook it cancels it out). So unless you can get a 33-34 it's not worth retaking in. And people normally score 1-3 points lower than their practice tests. So you'll probably just get a 30-31 again and it's not worth it- trust us were all agreeing on this. Or at the very least take it and if you don't think you acted it void the score. Med schools will never know.

Overall, these are your two options. 1) If you apply this cycle, your lack of research, healthcare volunteer work, shadowing, and "pathetic" non science cumulative gpa might doom you into just getting into a DO school(I hope Atleast) you'll have to apply very very broadly and to many DOs and expect to go to a DO school but you may get lucky and get into one of those MD schools.
2) you take a year off and do this. A) this summer you do a research program b) next year you take a bunch of regular courses that you like and are easy As to bring up your cumulative gpa c) next year you take part in sone meaningful E.C as well as volunteer work and shadowing
and apply.then. You'll then have a good gpa and mcat AND great E.C, volunteer work, research, and shadowing, and you'll be in a great shot to get into any if your top choices.

I don't see how you can say "people normally score 1-3 points lower".
AAMC statistics show that 65% of test re-takers who scored a 30 improve or get the same on their retake.

Why are you so against taking a year off? It seems to me like it's becoming more common for schools to prefer students who have taken time off (if not only because they can build more impressive applications with the extra time).

Other people have kind of answered why it's bad to retake a good MCAT score but here is my perspective. Let's say you do take the MCAT again and you get a 32.

Well, the schools that wouldn't accept you because of your MCAT score before still probably won't accept you because you didn't jump up by very much (they might think you had a bad day last time, which doesn't help your case very much). On the other hand, the schools that would have been fine with your 30 before now know that you thought you could do better but ended up with a similar result (which could to them show immaturity or arrogance). This is ignoring the fact that the months that you spend studying for another MCAT could be better spent doing other things, and the possibility that you do worse. That is why it's not advisable that you take it again unless you are reasonably confident that you'll raise it by a good amount.

I am against taking a year off because a whole year is a very long and valuable chunk of time.
I would rather lower my standards as to which schools I apply then to spend a year of my life impressing other schools.
And by looking into more schools and their selection criteria, I have noticed a lot of schools placing emphasis on the highest MCAT score ever acheived, or averaging both attempts, some schools even select the best from each sub-section.
I don't believe that "thinking you can do better" a second time around is a sign of arrogance and immaturity either.

I don't see how you can say "people normally score 1-3 points lower".
AAMC statistics show that 65% of test re-takers who scored a 30 improve or get the same on their retake.

I am against taking a year off because a whole year is a very long and valuable chunk of time.
I would rather lower my standards as to which schools I apply then to spend a year of my life impressing other schools.
And by looking into more schools and their selection criteria, I have noticed a lot of schools placing emphasis on the highest MCAT score ever acheived, or averaging both attempts, some schools even select the best from each sub-section.
I don't believe that "thinking you can do better" a second time around is a sign of arrogance and immaturity either.
There are only three possibilities for a re-take. Two of them hurt you and one might help you. That's what you should only re-take if you are confident that you will do much better.

Every MCAT score opens the door to speculation, no matter what the outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
There are only three possibilities for a re-take. Two of them hurt you and one might help you. That's what you should only re-take if you are confident that you will do much better.

Every MCAT score opens the door to speculation, no matter what the outcome.
And adcoms do speculate. :D

I really think a year off will do you good, and I'd imagine your cGPA would improve after your senior year. Instead of applying this cycle, apply 2016 summer. You can do a lot more community/clinical based work which would improve your application.

So I have great news for you pessimists.
I got my MCAT results back and I scored a 34.
So to my fellow supportive SDNers my question is, where does that put me now in terms of chances?
Should I apply to more selective schools now? If so, which other ones should I be considering now?
I am glad I retook it and I knew it was nerves the first time.

So to my fellow supportive SDNers my question is, where does that put me now in terms of chances?
Should I apply to more selective schools now? If so, which other ones should I be considering now?

Congratulations, that's good news. Also, why do you prefer every other school over your own Loyola? Just genuine curiosity, and the question doesn't carry and negative or surprising intonation.

Congratulations, that's good news. Also, why do you prefer every other school over your own Loyola? Just genuine curiosity, and the question doesn't carry and negative or surprising intonation.
I did not think I was a good fit for Loyola with my previous score. Although I like Loyola, I don't know if I am a strong applicant, even now.

I did not think I was a good fit for Loyola with my previous score. Although I like Loyola, I don't know if I am a strong applicant, even now.

Why do you believe that's the case? Based on what you actually wish you could do, what is your revised list?

34 gives you better chances at UIC than 30, but UIC is an OOS, so that's tough.

Edit: just looked at your OP (I'm on my phone). Not much committee service, eh?

What are you doing to improve your ECs? What do you mean by "more selective"? You still have average/below average GPAs and very lack luster ECs. The only known difference is a better MCAT score. You are probably stat wise more competitive at your original list. But then again there is the BIG EC issue! So I'm not sure what you mean by more competitive. Your whole application package is considered not just your improved MCAT. Are you going to apply to any DO schools?

Congrats. Consider Oakland University in Michigan (private)
Consider adding some of the Ohio schools (they let you get instate tuition after first year).
University of Toledo, Wright State, University of Cincinnati. Best wishes to you.

Update: Got in at the MD school. Feeling so grateful to be given the opportunity to attend. Thank you posters who were supportive. :thumbup:

Reactions: 4 users