Can someone explain to me the examination process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontradalex

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to medical school in 2017 and I want to have a good understanding of what happens beyond taking classes.

How many exams do you need to pass in order to become an MD? Are there more than USMLE, COMLEX, Step 1,2,3? What are these about?

When do you take these exams?

What is a passing score? What is a good score? Do these exams determine what residency you will be competitive for?

Is there a GPA for med school courses? How important is that compared to exams?

Members don't see this ad.

Please do some research I your own first.

I'm applying to medical school in 2017 and I want to have a good understanding of what happens beyond taking classes.

How many exams do you need to pass in order to become an MD? Are there more than USMLE, COMLEX, Step 1,2,3? What are these about?

When do you take these exams?

What is a passing score? What is a good score? Do these exams determine what residency you will be competitive for?

Is there a GPA for med school courses? How important is that compared to exams?

This should have been posted in the pre-medical forums, where you will find plenty of help. A simple google search will bring up any information you would ever need to know about this topic.

There are 3 steps for the USMLE you must pass to become an M.D. (likewise, 3 COMLEX exams if you go D.O. route). Your score on these exams are the (except surgery) most important things that determine what residency you can get into. Good luck.