Can someone please advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdhopefuldoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been trolling around SDN for about a year now and I finally got to joining the community. I have a question for those that have applied to medical school. I will be applying this year and I want to use a really good consulting company to have them review my application and essay. My premed advisor recommended a company called The Admissions Council and said they are really good. I was wondering if anyone has heard of them and better yet if you used their services, what did you like and what didn't you like? Thanks in advance for any help and or suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, I have been trolling around SDN for about a year now and I finally got to joining the community. I have a question for those that have applied to medical school. I will be applying this year and I want to use a really good consulting company to have them review my application and essay. My premed advisor recommended a company called The Admissions Council and said they are really good. I was wondering if anyone has heard of them and better yet if you used their services, what did you like and what didn't you like? Thanks in advance for any help and or suggestions.

Hi MDHopefulDoc,

I just answered this question for someone else (Rolling). I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote them and save you the trouble of following a link: (BY the Way, are you a Cali resident?)

I totally know where you are coming from and I aslo understand how many people feel that consultants are not needed. I however did use one when I applied two years ago. My stats were not super impressive (below average actually) so I really felt that I needed some professional help. I went to undergrad (UC) and grad school in Cali (USC) and knew I wasn't competitive for Cali schools. My Premed counselor suggested I use a company called The Admissions Council. They are based out of WashingtonDC and what makes this company different is that their consultants are all currently at US allopathic medical schools. These consultants are actually on committees and are the same that make decisions every year; so they have the most up to date facts on each cycle. Something else that I thought was really cool is that they work with other consultants across different medical schools depending on where you want to apply to. I wanted to go to medical school in either Cali, WashingtonDC, New York, Illinois or Florida and they really helped to taylor my application to these regions.

Now I dont know if it was coincidence or not, but I got 5 interviews and 3 acceptances in DC (Georgetown), New York (Albert Einstein) and Chicago (Loyola). I was waitlisted at the University of Illinois and Rejected from USC. So I personally felt that the consulting services were worth it to me. The Admissions Council was not expensive and I used four of their services (AMCAS review, Personal Statement, LORs, and phone consultations), I believed I paid just under $1,000 for everything.

Now I agree with what people say, consulting services are not for everyone. I knew I needed it and looking back I am personally glad that I did it. I have friends that still have not been able to get in with better MCAT and GPAs than me. Again, I just want to state my opinion and say I felt that the reason I am in medical school has to do with the advice The Admissions Council gave to me and of course my hard work. I just feel they really knew what they were saying and they weren't charging an arm and a leg for their help. I felt they were genuinely trying to help me get into medical school. I now have three weeks until I finish my first year here at Georgetown and I love it!! So keep your dream alive. If you need help I suggest you look them up and shoot them an email. Good Luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey MDHopfulDoc, I applied last year and I did not get any love from any medical school. I decided to look for some help with my application since the pre-medical advisors at my school sucked. The advisors told me to apply to DO and Caribbean schools but my heart was set on a MD program. A friend of mine had used the Admissions Council and she swore by it. So I gave it a shot. So I used them this year for my application, personal statement and help me chose which medical schools to apply to. I was lucky to get one acceptance(yay) and I'm on the waitlist for this other school. If I had listened to my pre-medical advisor and other people I would have been in the Caribbeans depressed but now I'm going to be living my dream. So looking back at everything I wish I would have used them the first time I applied. Hope this helps!

Thank you PlacentaSac and Doctor Elegant. I decided to contact The Admissions Council and I setup some services. I will let you know how it goes. For now, I really liked what they had to say. They have a special in June, that you get a free phone consultation when you sign-up for a service, so I went with that. I'm going to have them review my amcas, LORs and help me choose medical schools.

Boo...if you can afford it, that's pretty bomb.