Canadian applicant need help deciding whether to apply or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgmed23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some circumstances changed and now I am thinking of giving all the schools i want to attend a shot. I was going to begin masters but decided not to. This year i was only going to apply to canadian schools but now since I won't be starting masters, I decided to give american schools a shot. My stats are:

gpa: around 3.4 (finished BSc this yr). I graduated from University of British Columbia and they use the percentage system not GPA. So, its a rough estimate.
upward trend in marks with the last two years of 3.9

MCAT: waiting for results (sept 12)
Various volunteer activities in both medical setting and community setting, one international volunteering experience in 2003, high school football and other sports
2 research positions (one publication, however I was the third author)

I am looking at applying to some of the top schools (I know my GPA is extremely low) but realistically, if I knock out a good personal statement would I stand any chance at some of the top schools (harvard, yale, columbia, vanderbilt). I think I do have strong EC. I am not too sure how good my MCAT score will be.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Until you have an MCAT score, it'd be impossible to tell where you fit. That said, a 3.4 generally won't cut it at a school like Harvard.

Comming from a fellow Canadian...it's imperative that you apply asap in US schools due to their rolling admission policy. Frankly, based on what i have been reading, it may be a bit late to start applying now through AMCAS, but I would say to give it a shot- eternal optimist on that end.

As for the MCAT, i applied already without knowing my results this year, sorta praying and hoping...

g luck,