Canadian vets - where should i go for undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colond

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to go to graduate school in OVC (guelph) eventually, to become a vet. I was wondering if anyone has had experience in taking their undergrad in another university prior going to OVC. I personally want to go to Mcgill, but does anyone know whether this would take more time, or become more time consuming? (I'm hoping to get into OVC after 4 semesters)

Does anyone also have any opinions on Mcgill's animal science course?

Any advice/opinions on the better option?

Members don't see this ad.

If you really want to be a vet, and you want to go to OVC, I would go to Guelph for your undergrad. There are so many specific veterinary-related research and volunteering opportunities, and you'll be able to network with other pre-vets and professors. At other Canadian universities you will have to work much harder to find veterinary related stuff.

(I'm hoping to get into OVC after 4 semesters)

This you cannot do anymore...check out OVC's requirements...www.ovc.uoguelph.ca ... You need to do at least 5 semesters (which for most people = 3 years).

I am currently doing my undergrad at Guelph. From what I've heard it really doesn't matter if you do your undergrad at Guelph or not. The thing I really, really like about being at Guelph is that I've spent a TON of time in the teaching hospital so I know quite a lot about the curriculum already. Plus I've gotten to know a lot of the faculty and staff at OVC which is probably a bonus.

As for stats of U of G vs non U of G: http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/future/dvm/incoming/statistics/documents/OVC_2012_Summary_Statistics.pdf
http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/future/dvm/doc/OVC2011Statistics.pdf
http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/future/dvm/doc/OVC2010AdmissionStatistics-Fall2006forPublication.pdf

Just make sure whatever program you take, at whatever university, allows you to take all of the prereqs. Make sure you submit your courses for approval if are at another school than Guelph.

Members don't see this ad :)
My apologies, this is rather unrelated- but has anyone been able to find stats like that from the Atlantic Veterinary College?

I have been looking, but my searches have turned up nothing as of yet.

Hi! :)

Good question, I've heard mixed reviews from people on this one...While, like xl3000 said, going to Guelph exposes you to a) the campus b) fellow students who will be applying to OVC and c) relevant courses, I have heard that a significant number of students are gearing towards becoming a veterinarian, and thus you are constantly in the midst of competition for OVC which, to some, is deterring...

I am currently attending UofT and if all goes according to plan (*fingers crossed*) I will be applying to OVC next year...I am finding that while it is making the course approval a little bit more 'fun' (don't get me started on that!), the fact that I am not constantly competing with people who want to achieve the same goals as I am is, I find, relaxing. This is not to say that I 'relax' in my schoolwork, but moreso that it's not 'cut-throat' to get your DVM...at least not that you're aware of...:p

I think that you should go to university at whichever school appeals the most to you...If that be Guelph, that's great, but if you are interested in McGill, explore that opportunity too...Don't limit yourself to Guelph simply because you want to pursue vet med...While it may make things 'easier' planning for it, it's most definitely not the only route...

Just my (very long) 2 cents...:p Good luck! :D

I have applied to OVC this year, and I did not do my undergrad at U of Guelph. Guelph does NOT give preference to their own students- if you look at the stats it might seem like that at first becuase the majority of the accepted students are Guelph students...but thats only becuase the majority of students that apply are Guelph students.

Benefits of not going to Guelph:

* I agree with what the others have said...if you want to go somewhere else, then go somewhere else!!

* You won't be surrounded by other crazy pre-vets, which could be really stressful!

* I've heard that alot of clinics in the guelph area are over saturated with future vets, so its hard to find a position/experience.

As for pre recs, any science program has basically all the pre requisites, or at least gives you the option to take them.

My best advice is to visit the OVC website as often as you can and just educate yourself and keep yourself updated on what they require, as the requirements have changed since the first time I started reseaching OVC.

Best of luck!!

P.s
it would NOT take more time to do your pre recs somewhere else. Not sure about the animal science program at McGill, but honestly- I've been to 2 different universities and the both offered similar academics....if you're not planning to do research or get a masters, it doesn't really matter where you go- as long as you get your pre recs.

Picking an undergrad school is tough, it has to fit your specific personal interests. There is no disadvantage to going to other universities besides Guelph in Ontario, and McGill is one of the best Canadian universities.

Based on the information the OP has given (wants to go to OVC, interested in animal science) I'd still recommend Guelph based on networking, research and volunteer opportunities that specifically relate to vet medicine (DVMs are few and far between on most Canadian campuses). Guelph has a very good animal and poultry science department as well (in OAC, not OVC).

An important consideration for the OP is being able to present themselves as an interesting person to admissions in terms of extracurriculars, while still having high grades (and a life). Where do you see yourself getting involved? And think about finances - do you need a job? what scholarships are available? what is the cost of living?

As for crazy pre-vets, many of them will be your future classmates at OVC.

Good luck.

Just an example of what I'm talking about: The bovine club for students at OVC can give undergrads a list of food animal or mixed clinics that will take students for a day for ride alongs or job shadowing. That kind of experience is very helpful for your application, and even more so if you have little or no livestock experience.
Finding stuff like that would be very difficult at other universities.

yes, I'm sure many pre-vets will be your future classmates at OVC, but the difference is you're not in OVC yet-

I'm sorry, but xl300, stating "McGill is one of the best Canadian universities" is an absurd statement, as that is so general and incorrect! Carleton University is known for their very rigorous Journalism program and Aerospace engineering program as well, Queens has an excellent nursing program etc, so to say that McGill is one of the best Canadian universities is absolutely untrue on all levels.

Finding a DVM on campus is NOT the only way to get DVM experience. As xl300 stated, "other Canadian universities you will have to work much harder to find veterinary related stuff", this is not true at all. I attend a university that does not have a DVM or a pre-vet program, and I have many hours of varied experience, and excellent references. Networking at a university isn't the only way to get in, and simply knowing a DVM within OVC does not necesarily increase your chances of getting accepted.

Just an example of what I'm talking about: The bovine club for students at OVC can give undergrads a list of food animal or mixed clinics that will take students for a day for ride alongs or job shadowing. That kind of experience is very helpful for your application, and even more so if you have little or no livestock experience.
Finding stuff like that would be very difficult at other universities.

It may be easier since the contacts are given to you, but its not impossible or difficult to do it on your own. Either way you still have to pick up the phone and call-

Last edited:
It may be easier since the contacts are given to you, but its not impossible or difficult to do it on your own. Either way you still have to pick up the phone and call-
I totally agree with you.
According to the Times Higher Education supplement, McGill is top ranked in Canada, and for 2007 at least #12 in the world.http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/hybrid.asp?typeCode=144
That is all I meant by saying that McGill is one of the best universities in Canada.

There are alot of biast studies out there, if anyone reads McLean's you will note the horrible things they said about Carleton University- but infact Carleton has many very respected professors/researchers.

So be careful what you use as your sources.

Hi OP,

I totally agree with others have said about checking the OVC website frequently, admissions seems to be undergoing a change in the past couple years.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've posted this before somewhere, but there's a forum called the future vet's club (FVC) which is specific for OVC: http://fvc.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=admissions

not as many post on it as here on SDN, but it might be a good place to ask more OVC-specific questions.

Goodluck!

I feel like ANY reputable Canadian university would be a fine choice for undergrad, you'll be able to take all of the pre reqs you need (they're actually pretty general, animal-based courses aren't actually required). Whether or not it is the *best* university shouldn't matter, I don't think they scale your grades based on the reputation of your school (as far as I have heard but I am pretty sure they don't).

It's true, there's tons of vet wannabes at Guelph, but the truly nasty, cutthroat ones are the ones who don't stick with it because they drive themselves crazy studying all of the time!! Honestly, after first year, lots decided they didn't really want to apply to OVC after all, and everyone I know is pretty relaxed and willing to help others out which is nice.

Guelph offers a lot of unique opportunities to get involved with the VTH, research, College Royal, vet-related clubs, etc. But other Canadian universities will have cool stuff too, and maybe it would be an advantage to have extra curriculars that most other applicants don't have. So IMO there's advantages and disadvantages to both.