CCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,
First I just wanted to say that when I interviewed at CCOM I was amazed at how stress-free the students seemed. Everyone said the course load was very difficult, yet they all seemed very happy to me (perhaps it was because they didn't have an exam that morning, but still!).
Also, could anyone speak to the emphasis that CCOM puts on OMM? This is something I am very excited about, but it seemed that they didn't emphasize it very much, especially after being at DMU where it seemed to be heavily emphasized. Any opinions? This is all based on observation, not personal experience.
Thanks a lot! And good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

how do you send in letters of recommendation. I have an interfolio account, do i just send it through there?

Yeah send the letters through Interfolio

how do you send in letters of recommendation. I have an interfolio account, do i just send it through there?

I would actually try Virtual Evals. I tried to send my LOR through interfolio but could not get CCOM to show up. That means that they will have to snail mail the letters from interfolio, and this will take longer, which will delay your application a little. If you send it through Virtual Evals, you should be able to send it to CCOM electronically. I should mention that I'm not 100% that virtual evals works for ccom. My premed advisor is said she was going to try to send my LOR through virtual evals today.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would actually try Virtual Evals. I tried to send my LOR through interfolio but could not get CCOM to show up. That means that they will have to snail mail the letters from interfolio, and this will take longer, which will delay your application a little. If you send it through Virtual Evals, you should be able to send it to CCOM electronically. I should mention that I'm not 100% that virtual evals works for ccom. My premed advisor is said she was going to try to send my LOR through virtual evals today.

VituralEvals works for CCOM.

Hey all,
First I just wanted to say that when I interviewed at CCOM I was amazed at how stress-free the students seemed. Everyone said the course load was very difficult, yet they all seemed very happy to me (perhaps it was because they didn't have an exam that morning, but still!).
Also, could anyone speak to the emphasis that CCOM puts on OMM? This is something I am very excited about, but it seemed that they didn't emphasize it very much, especially after being at DMU where it seemed to be heavily emphasized. Any opinions? This is all based on observation, not personal experience.
Thanks a lot! And good luck to everyone!

My impression was that it was stressed more than some of the other schools I visited. From talking to my interviewers to the students that came in to talk to us while we waited to be interviewed, CCOM doesn't go through the motions just because it's a DO school. They want you to have a solid foundation in OMM. It was one of the questions that I specifically asked people because I too wanted a school with a good OMM program. Hope that helps a little.

Yaaay! :clap: Just got my invite (1/8, morning)! I visited last weekend. Beautiful place, can't wait to go back!

So I still have not received my acceptance letter, but saw the matriculation deposit site exactly one week ago. How long did it take you guys?

Does it say anything important in your letters...like any instructions?

When is the deadline for you guys? Mine says Dec. 19th...thats soo sooon

My impression was that it was stressed more than some of the other schools I visited. From talking to my interviewers to the students that came in to talk to us while we waited to be interviewed, CCOM doesn't go through the motions just because it's a DO school. They want you to have a solid foundation in OMM. It was one of the questions that I specifically asked people because I too wanted a school with a good OMM program. Hope that helps a little.

that is helpful, thanks!

So I still have not received my acceptance letter, but saw the matriculation deposit site exactly one week ago. How long did it take you guys?

Does it say anything important in your letters...like any instructions?

When is the deadline for you guys? Mine says Dec. 19th...thats soo sooon

I got my letter the next day (11/28)! It has some instructions..they actually reiterate them twice just so people dont forget anything I think :D. It basically says to turn in your deposit/agreement online and make sure to complete all of the requirements on the checklist. I can PM the specifics to you if you don't get your letter soon.

Hey guys,

I have an interview coming up in 5 weeks.

Any interviewing tips specific to CCOM?

PMs would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Hey guys,

I have an interview coming up in 5 weeks.

Any interviewing tips specific to CCOM?

PMs would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Its gonna be collllld!

and...as told best by ollie the weatherman..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxpqFuNy7fY[/youtube]

Members don't see this ad :)
english is not my first language, is snail mail just regular us post mail?

Its gonna be collllld!

and...as told best by ollie the weatherman..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxpqFuNy7fY[/youtube]

Hahahahaha...I'm well aware. And it may snow.

I'm from the area so I know all about the weather.

Hahahahaha...I'm well aware. And it may snow.

I'm from the area so I know all about the weather.

haha, anyways id say it depends on the interviewers. my interview was very dry, the lady interviewing me only smiled like twice and the other guy was a really old MD who complimented me on every word that came out of my mouth :laugh:. It is basically a get to know you session with the usual questions thrown in, interview feedback has some sample questions. You'll do fine, just be yourself!

Hey guys...signing off the CCOM thread as I just got accepted to my top choice! Few things about CCOM, though. First, probably the best facilities that i have seen at the osteopathic schools I interviewed at. Second, amazing clinicals...which lead to third--top notch residency placement. Any body would be well served attending CCOM. Thanks for the love CCOM!

actually now that i'm looking through the packet given during orientation, that same sheet from that link is in here

right, thats what the academic calendar says
but the fall quarter schedule has the dates listed as 9/08/08 to 11/21/08

I'm looking at the academic calendar and the fall quarter schedule from last year
and those dates conflict
the academic calendar 2008 says august 11th, but the fall quarter schedule for last year starts on september 8th
academic calendar 2009(the link that you posted) says august 9th, dont have the fall quarter schedule for next year yet, but im guessing it'll also have sometime in sept as the start date

Don't forget about the "transition" period. I remember them talking about 4 weeks of a lighter load of classes (anatomy and histology?) before the actual quarter starts. Anyone else remember them talking about that or was that just my imagination?

Don't forget about the "transition" period. I remember them talking about 4 weeks of a lighter load of classes (anatomy and histology?) before the actual quarter starts. Anyone else remember them talking about that or was that just my imagination?

We had a transition period this past year which, I might say, was a great way to get introduced to the regiment. For it, we showed up 4 weeks earlier than the MS-II's and were given a lighter load of classes. That is to say we took fewer classes, but they used the first four weeks to get us started on anatomy, biochemistry, and histology. It was a nice way to spread out the dense material so that when classes officially started the transition wasn't too bad. I imagine they're doing this again for the next upcoming class. And, yes, according to the academic calendar classes start Aug. 10th.

Hope that helps.

Is CCOM PBL? I received and email from them stating that they were, however it does not state this anywhere on their website.

Just rescheduled my Jan interview to Feb. If anyone wants an earlier interview, check it out. Now Mon I am doing CCOM then Tue RFU.

Declining my acceptance today- loved the facilities, faculty, and students, but my husband has the ability to transfer positions in another location...

Best of luck to everyone! :luck:

for those of you who have submitted their secondary recently, how long did it take to receive an interview invite?

i'm new to this network.
i was wondering what is a PBL?

i'm new to this network.
i was wondering what is a PBL?

problem based learning. Its a case study approach to learning fundamental principles. Gets you to problem solve and apply the material to 'real life' situations. Some schools use it, some just give you the material straight up.

Thanks for the clarification in the email that was sent to me heres what it stated:

Academics
A challenging, problem-based didactic curriculum taught by dedicated faculty members and early clinical exposure prepares you for the rigorous clinical rotations at highly regarded clinical sites throughout the Chicagoland area.

Man, the posts in this CCOM thread are lame. Bring it up a notch! Who's going there in the fall? Show yourself dammit!

I will be attending CCOM in the Fall!!! Wooohooooo!1 ;)

Cool. So how's living in Chicago?

Well, I'm from the southwest suburbs about 30 minutes from Chicago and 15 minutes from CCOM. But, I have to say Chicago is an amazing city just really expensive but also realllly fun. I've been here my entire life so I'm used to the cold winters and humidity filled Summers, but if you're not from the Midwest, it might take some time to get used to! Can't wait until the fall, but I'm sure my social life can!!

I'm going to Chicago!! Can't Wait!!

Me neither. It's hard to process that this is really happening.

I'm just worried about those geese. I hear they don't mess around come nesting season - and I don't want to be THAT guy who gets run up on by a stupid goose. :laugh:

for those of you who have submitted their secondary recently, how long did it take to receive an interview invite?

About 6 weeks.. compete 10/24, II 12/4, I 1/8. But now I don't know if I want to go. :( I really like the school and the campus, but if I got accepted it would come down to MD vs DO, a tough choice. If offered an MD/PhD at MSU (probable) I don't know if turning it down would be a viable option for me. Also, I'm in love with MSU. Thoughts anyone? Should I go?

About 6 weeks.. compete 10/24, II 12/4, I 1/8. But now I don't know if I want to go. :( I really like the school and the campus, but if I got accepted it would come down to MD vs DO, a tough choice. If offered an MD/PhD at MSU (probable) I don't know if turning it down would be a viable option for me. Also, I'm in love with MSU. Thoughts anyone? Should I go?

Do you like geese?

geese poop = processed grass

no big deal

Edit: getting pooped on from above = not so good, I know

Yea.. ok.. geese aside, any advice?

Looks like you expect to be choosing between two different programs -- both excellent, but different. Do you really think others can help you decide? Look within...

... Well, anyways, decision made. It was a really tough choice, but I have relinquished my interview and will now be signing off the CCOM thread. Best of luck everyone!! :luck:

Last edited:
Still on the infamous "interview Waitlist" ... hmm :xf:

I read over a lot of posts on this thread; many are in this position as well.
I didn't know there was such a thing as a waitlist to get interviewed!
Hopefully that means I'll receive one so I can dip out of some second semester courses and spend a weekend in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.