CCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I go to the CCOM webpage to check my status, it says that it can't find my information. Anyone have similar experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

When I go to the CCOM webpage to check my status, it says that it can't find my information. Anyone have similar experiences?

When did you interview? I was getting that page yesterday, but this morning my page changed to show the matriculation agreement. I interview December 12th.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Nick

no, I'm not lucky enough to have interviewed yet...I'm waiting for the invite.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey Brian,

If you have not interviewed then I'm pretty sure it will say that. You have to interview and get accepted in order for it to change.

Good luck with getting an interview.

Nick

Could a current student provide a little bit of information on the Pines Apartments on campus? Also what off campus apartments do most students live at? Thanks!!

I was just thinking about the Pines apartments, too!

I would also like some opinions/options as far as off campus apartments go. Could any current students provide some common apartment complexes around the downers grove area.

Thanks,

Nick

Where are most the ppl from ccom from? It seems like a lot of ppl were around the neighboring states when I interviewed...is that the case with the actual class?

Placed on interview wait list. Anyone know how long it will take to be picked for an interview?

Where are most the ppl from ccom from? It seems like a lot of ppl were around the neighboring states when I interviewed...is that the case with the actual class?

I'm from Connecticut so about 1000 miles away.

I asked my interviewers about geographical origins of most students at CCOM and was told that majority of them comes from the Chicago area.

I'm from Connecticut so about 1000 miles away.

I asked my interviewers about geographical origins of most students at CCOM and was told that majority of them comes from the Chicago area.

I had a similar experience with my interview. Almost everyone was from the Chicago area, or at least were attending schools in the Chicago area. But, I am from Salt Lake City and I got accepted and it seems that quite a few people who have been accepted into our class are from varying parts of the country so I think there should be a healthy mix.

I was interviewing at AZCOM the day before my interview at CCOM and it seemed as though everybody THERE was from Salt Lake City or somewhere in California.

Members don't see this ad :)
Come on, people, contribute to the thread, please.

Hey brianjg, just curious, when were you complete? i was complete at 12/13 and haven't heard yet.. im bracing myself for any news... thanks!

CCOM conducts 75% of their interviews before the holidays...

Got accepted just before Christmas!! Really excited to go here:)

I'm anxiously waiting to hear something from CCOM. Been complete since mid-November.

I submitted my application in early September and waited 6 weeks to get invited to interview. If there are more applications now, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a little longer to be reviewed at this point. Good luck.

Also make sure to check your status online -- click on the "interview scheduling" link or something like that.

I scheduled my interview online when an invitation became available, but I don't recall ever getting an email from the school. I got a confirmation email after scheduling my interview, but that was it.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I'll put off a little anatomy studying here...

Could a current student provide a little bit of information on the Pines Apartments on campus? Also what off campus apartments do most students live at? Thanks!!

The Pines apartments are on campus, nestled back in the area with fields and the wellness center. I haven't been on the inside of them or heard any reviews about them. I believe it's probably possible to get them as a first year, but you'd have to get that housing application (don't freak out, it'll come later...) in early.

That said, I don't know if they're worth squabbling over--cost-wise, the pines are about as good as you'd get in apartments around campus. I think you even have to set up your own cable etc. Same with the refurbished dorms (Redwood)--they cost almost as much as an apartment would. I'm biased because I live in the traditionals, but if you're going to live in a dorm, you should do it to save money and for convenience.

On the convenience front, I can sleep in later than 90% of off campus classmates, I can run back to my room if I forgot something, I can sneak in a nap during lunch on a particularly long day. You get the idea.

On the cost front, the traditionals run ~$565 a month. That includes cable (with lots of good channels--6 HBO channels, NFL network etc etc etc) and internet. You can set up your own wireless (it is, unfortunately, not provided in the traditionals yet). The traditionals are also not air conditioned (which mattered all of 4-5 weeks). Most dorms are decently sized singles connected to bathrooms connected to another single...it's admittedly less cool to live in the dorms as a 24 year old than an apartment.

As far as where people live off campus, you can do your own research when you get into town--Yorktown Apts, Cityview Apts, Versailles, and others around downtown Downers are what people seem most happy with. Cost can be pretty high--just slightly lower than a lot of areas of Chicago. I think the people who seem happiest with their living situation are those that chose a complex near campus and picked up roommates (via SDN, facebook, etc--it has worked out with all but one that I know...do a little personality research before you room with each other.)

Edit: There are those who brave living in the city. They haven't backed down on their decision like I thought they would. However, there are definitely sacrifices involved--longer time behind the wheel, more money spent on gas, sleeping with friends in the area the night before early tests to avoid missing a test due to traffic/weather etc...usually people have a reason they ended up in the city--they had already been living there, they have significant others or family there...and so on.

Based solely on visually seeing people raise their hands during orientation type stuff, I'd say about 50% of the class is from Illinois (~80% of that from Chicagoland) and 50% from all over the place--California, Utah, Massachusetts, New York, Michigan off the top of my head.

Last edited:
CCOM conducts 75% of their interviews before the holidays...

Sounds about what most med schools do...

No worries. I applied late (primary Nov, secondary late Dec, interviewed March) and was accepted. I also got the sense that there was quite a bit of waitlist movement between March and June.

I'm in the same boat as you. I was complete on 11-23, but no word yet.

I was complete 12/3, and still waiting to hear something...

I got an interview about 3-4 weeks after I was complete, but I was complete on 10/6 so you guys might have a bit of a wait ahead of you... Best of luck!!

Can anyone comment on what kind of clinical exposure students get in their first two years? From my understanding, it is mostly volunteer based, meaning you can choose to volunteer at the clinic and get some exposure. Is that how it works? Or is there something more organized directly through the school, or as a part of the curriculum?
Thanks!

Hi, just wanted to chime in regarding interviews. i have heard that if you receive an interview early (meaning by end of december) your chances of getting in are pretty high.:)

On a side note- I am excited about starting but dreading how tough it is (have friends that go there and are stressing out).:scared:

Last edited:
Seems like I'm in the same boat as a few people. Been complete since 12/1 and haven't heard a word.

Lame.

Entire school was on break from 12/19 to 1/5 guys. Chill out.

Hi, just wanted to chime in regarding interviews. i have heard that if you receive an interview early (meaning by end of december) your chances of getting in are pretty high.:)

On a side note- I am excited about starting but dreading how tough it is (have friends that go there and are stressing out).:scared:

I wonder if CCOM is tougher than other schools. That's the impression I got based on what the dean said ("it's extremely challenging curriculum....") and how tensed the students seemed.

I know no medical school is supposed to be easy, but judging from how students seemed at KCUMB and Western, it seemed as though things were easier there...

I know that sometimes you can actually learn just as much or even more in a low stress environment. Stress level doesn't have to be at all time high for students to succeed. I worry a little that CCOM is an old school, with old school attitude, "it was done to us, it will be done to them."

I wonder if CCOM is tougher than other schools. That's the impression I got based on what the dean said ("it's extremely challenging curriculum....") and how tensed the students seemed.

I know no medical school is supposed to be easy, but judging from how students seemed at KCUMB and Western, it seemed as though things were easier there...

I know that sometimes you can actually learn just as much or even more in a low stress environment. Stress level doesn't have to be at all time high for students to succeed. I worry a little that CCOM is an old school, with old school attitude, "it was done to us, it will be done to them."

I'd be curious to hear how current CCOMers feel about these concerns...any thoughts??

I'd be curious to hear how current CCOMers feel about these concerns...any thoughts??

It's a tough question to answer because I haven't gone to other medical schools--I only have friends at others. The answer for any given school, really, is that it's personal.

I have a friend from Indiana University who thought the first semester there was absolutely awful (to be fair, it was pretty bad on paper--they took something like anatomy, histo, biochem, and micro all at the same time). Another friend at IU, albeit at a different campus, who still took the same courses thought it was fine--and was most upset that he couldn't go out on weekdays anymore. Same curriculum, two different reactions to it.

I think the same is true for CCOM. A lot of variables come into play. Did you come straight from college or work in the real world awhile after graduation? For some, learning to study again after working for years might be a challenge...for others having been used to a "college schedule" and adjusting to getting up early everyday and doing schoolwork every night is difficult.

I hesitate to say this because it's not like I've finished my first year yet--but personally it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. Anatomy is definitely the most difficult class I've ever taken, but once (after the first test...) you figured out how important it is to keep up with it and put in the time with it it's doable. And that's a theme--with the CCOM curriculum you're always having stuff thrown at you but it's always doable. So it's a volume and endurance challenge rather than that the material is impossible to comprehend.

I've told people the hardest part of med school is getting out of Anatomy lab at 5pm (having been there since 2pm after class since 8 or 9), taking a nap from 5-6 (or working out or watchign tv or whatever you choose to do), eating dinner....and then summoning the energy to study--you're exhausted, you've been working all day, but you need to pull it together and get yourself rolling again.

So that was kind of a mix of "CCOM's curriculum" and "med school adjustment" in general. How people are on your interview day really depends on when you catch us--if you interviewed in late november (the 2 weeks before thanksgiving), yeah you would have found everybody a little tense as any students at any school would be during their finals. You'll usually have 1-2 tests a week, and at least 2 quizzes a week--so you're constantly working--but I do believe that that has its payoffs in helping you learn the information better (at least for midterm, final etc) and it's good to remember that everybody goes through it together--so we can all support one another when times get tough (as they will be for the next 7 weeks or so). Hope that helps...feel free to follow up with questions and I'll try to check back...

I know that sometimes you can actually learn just as much or even more in a low stress environment. Stress level doesn't have to be at all time high for students to succeed.

I think stress in med school is unavoidable, and to a certain extent, that's the way it should be because the job itself will be stressful no matter what specialty you end up in (obviously some more than others).

I worry a little that CCOM is an old school, with old school attitude, "it was done to us, it will be done to them."

That's not true. We're mostly taught by PhD's anyway (don't read that as a bad thing. PhD's are professional educators. DO's are sometimes-academic physicians. We have DO's for our clinical medicine and OMM classes. I'll give you one guess which professors are better...)

Last edited:
Thanks for contributing, Bond. I really appreciate your comments. I interviewed in the first half of October. Overall, I had a very positive feeling about the school despite being exhausted after another interview and a long, delayed, overnight flight right before coming to CCOM. I had a very positive impression the moment I set my foot on campus and while I realize that sometimes first impressions may be misleading, I also know that oftentimes they can be quite reliable. Part of me enjoys my currently lighter schedule and another part of me cannot wait for medical school to begin. Sure, there is the stress of finding a place to live, moving 1000 miles, getting to know a completely new area, but I am very excited at the prospect! I am looking forward to joining CCOM!

I didn't find CCOM students to be any more stressed than the other places I interviewed at. Granted, this was in September so maybe things hadn't hit the crunch yet, but I met several students who seemed quite relaxed.

The one thing that I do worry about is that I heard a few students from various schools say that they study 4-6 hours per day. For schools where you end your day at 2 or 3, this seems realistic. But with CCOM's schedule often taking us to 5pm, I worry that I will have absolutely no time during the week to do some of the small things...like eat, work out and sleep.

I tend to be the type of person who only learns from reading and studying on my own. I like lectures and they probably add to my ability to see some of the big picture and better organize info, but I don't retain much from lectures. So I'm just hoping that I'll be able to find enough hours in the week to study as much as I need.

What happens during Biochemistry Workshops at CCOM?

They seem to consume a lot of time every week.

Cosmonaut:
I think that with enough self discipline and proper time management, everyone will be fine. You know, (4-6 hours of study for some students) = (3 hours of study + a workout+sleep for others) in terms of efficiency. Exercise helps with concentration and absorption of knowledge!

What happens during Biochemistry Workshops at CCOM?

They seem to consume a lot of time every week.

Obviously a current student will have a much better answer, but from what I was told, the Biochemistry workshops are (the only) problem-based/case-based elements of the curriculum. The class is split up into several groups, so I imagine it is interactive like true PBL sessions(?). I'm excited for this, because when I interviewed at LECOM, the PBL session was SUPER fun and interesting, and it seemed to be based mostly of biochem-type stuff (looking at ion gaps to help make a diagnosis, understanding how competitive inhibition is the basis for treating patients with alcohol poisoning, etc.). But I wouldn't want my entire education to be PBL....

Replying to my previous post..I don't want scare anyone that CCOM is really tough..I've just heard that CCOM has the toughest curriculum for medical school compared to the other medical schools in IL (another reason why they start CCOM in August now instead of Sept)..that being said..Bond is right..Anatomy is the class that everyone says is the toughest ..I'm guessing b/c OMM goes hand in hand with it..it's definitely doable though..just like previous posts and what one of my friends (who goes there) said that as long as you study everyday and not wait till the weekend you would be fine..plus the curriculum is structured such a way that you don't fall behind that's why I believe the 1~2 tests + ~1~2 quizes/wk are given. Since Anatomy is the class that everyone says is the hardest I kind of started studying for the class on my own since I didn't get into it at my previous university. Then again that's my own personal preference. I remember one of the MS during mini-med school giving us advice..he said "If there is any advice I can give you..start studying for the COMLEX/USMLE from day one b/c you don't get too much time studying for them when boards come around" He suggested First Aid and/or BRS books for review. Then again if you're studying hard everyday you wouldn't need to study as hard for the boards b/c you already know most of material. I still took his advice into consideration and prob. will start studying from those books too b/c any help is better than no help...:)..

Can't wait to start! :eek:

I want to start too, but I'm trying not to get too crazy with my excitement. Probably soon after we begin, we'll be looking forward to a break!

I've been out of school for over a year now and really miss active, structured learning.

Stats from 2003

(Applications In State/OOS; Interviewed In State/OOS; Accepted In State/OOS; Enrolled In State/OOS)

School
PCOM - 553/3272; 309/259; 237/177; 161/105
UNECOM - 52/2396; 37/269; 33/188; 28/93
CCOM - 239/1406; 154/365; 115/267; 71/103
NJCOM - 373/2028; 115/170; 78/112; 100/0
NYCOM - 660/2637; 367/353; 286/254; 198/112
DMU COM - 160/2227; 111/468; 93/353; 59/156
LECOM - PA - 469/3782; 297/888; 174/345; 123/266

thanks! this is great info... even if from 2003, it gives an idea of how good my odds are if i get that interview.....

thanks! this is great info... even if from 2003, it gives an idea of how good my odds are if i get that interview.....

Where did those numbers come from. I was under the impression CCOM got close to 5000 applications every year, this shows much less.

Perhaps the 5000 refers to # of AACOMAS applications received. I presume some fail to submit secondaries.

Perhaps the 5000 refers to # of AACOMAS applications received. I presume some fail to submit secondaries.

So your telling me PCOM got 3825 secondaries, and CCOM only got 1645? I'd be very surprised and disappointed if that were true.

So your telling me PCOM got 3825 secondaries, and CCOM only got 1645? I'd be very surprised and disappointed if that were true.

I think that your suspicion might be right. I would expect similar numbers for these two schools. On the other hand, I think that people applying to DO schools as back up may be more likely to apply to PCOM (if they could only choose one, let's say), thus contributing to the larger number. Some think that PCOM is the best DO school in the nation. Of course, I am guessing here, but PCOM is often the #1 choice DO program, especially for folks with borderline stats -- possibly good enough for some MD schools and for highly competitive DO schools, too.
Also, it's been a while since I applied to both PCOM and CCOM, but I think that PCOM has a slightly shorter secondary application. CCOM requires a resume which may turn some applicants away.

I think that your suspicion might be right. I would expect similar numbers for these two schools. On the other hand, I think that people applying to DO schools as back up may be more likely to apply to PCOM (if they could only choose one, let's say), thus contributing to the larger number. Some think that PCOM is the best DO school in the nation. Of course, I am guessing here, but PCOM is often the #1 choice DO program, especially for folks with borderline stats -- possibly good enough for some MD schools and for highly competitive DO schools, too.
Also, it's been a while since I applied to both PCOM and CCOM, but I think that PCOM has a slightly shorter secondary application. CCOM requires a resume which may turn some applicants away.

You guys are wrong. CCOM had 5000 secondaries last year. CCOM also has higher stats than PCOM.

Your right that CCOM's secondary is lengthier than PCOM's but I still have a hard time believing that PCOM got that many more secondaries than CCOM. I think if you ask anyone, they would say PCOM and CCOM are on the same level. I say that b/c everyone at my CCOM interview had only applied to CCOM for DO, and the rest they applied to were MD. I just think these #'s are off, or maybe the numbers reported for every other school were primaries and CCOM were secondaries. Again I would be very dissapointed if CCOM only got 1645 primaries and the rest of the schools got that many primaries or secondaries, this meaning I wouldn't consider it a major accomplishment getting into CCOM b/c it is not near as competitive as I thought it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.