CCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a 25 O (9, 8, 8) and 25 Q ( 7, 8, 10) after taking the mcat twice. Will CCOM look at my best score in each subject or just the best score overall?

Also, my primary application was complete and processing on June 27th, any idea how long it will take to verify and release at this point?

I think they look at the best overall score, but I'm not 100% sure

Members don't see this ad.

Hey you guys!
I just sent in my primary app today.

How long did it take for them to send to you the supplemental app?

Hey you guys!
I just sent in my primary app today.

How long did it take for them to send to you the supplemental app?

I submitted on June 1 (was verified in late May) and received a supplemental application Monday, June 27. This was the first batch of secondaries sent out though so I'm uncertain what the turnaround time for you will be. Hopefully it takes less time than mine though cuz the wait sucked :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted on June 1 (was verified in late May) and received a supplemental application Monday, June 27. This was the first batch of secondaries sent out though so I'm uncertain what the turnaround time for you will be. Hopefully it takes less time than mine though cuz the wait sucked :)

Thanks!

I have a 25 O (9, 8, 8) and 25 Q ( 7, 8, 10) after taking the mcat twice. Will CCOM look at my best score in each subject or just the best score overall?

Also, my primary application was complete and processing on June 27th, any idea how long it will take to verify and release at this point?

the best of the two, I called the Admission once and asked.
It takes about 4-6 weeks to be verified, then once Admission gets your application a couple more weeks for the secondary.

Does anybody know how much the secondary app cost?

CCOM takes the best overall score. They do not pick best scores from individual subjects. In fact, very few schools actually do that.

Got the complete e-mail!!!! Now its time to wait.....

for the resume / CV ... how long is everyone's?

did you put all the things down from AACOMAS or did you just put the really important stuff?

Im going in to my senior year with a 3.7 overall gpa and about a 3.4 science gpa. I am a division 1 baseball player, but I cannot play this year as i have 4 labs in season. I volunteer at a hospital. I am not taking the mcat until september,puttin all my eggs in one basket. I took a practice exam in may and got a 21, and im up to a 24 now. Given the time I had devoted to baseball, I am taking the mcat in september and applying to the schools immediately after that. CCOM is my primary choice, as i have been influenced based on my interaction with CCOM grads, a former professor and my current GP. What are my chances of getting in? Any input is appreciated.

did you put all the things down from AACOMAS or did you just put the really important stuff?

I think mine was around 2.5 -3 pages. A little long for my liking but I just completed the essentials for what they said to put in there.

Im going in to my senior year with a 3.7 overall gpa and about a 3.4 science gpa. I am a division 1 baseball player, but I cannot play this year as i have 4 labs in season. I volunteer at a hospital. I am not taking the mcat until september,puttin all my eggs in one basket. I took a practice exam in may and got a 21, and im up to a 24 now. Given the time I had devoted to baseball, I am taking the mcat in september and applying to the schools immediately after that. CCOM is my primary choice, as i have been influenced based on my interaction with CCOM grads, a former professor and my current GP. What are my chances of getting in? Any input is appreciated.

My 2 cents. Your cGPA is good (high side of their average of 3.53) and your sGPA is decent (slightly below their average of 3.45). Being a Div. 1 athlete is a big asset (imo) and I would assume to the adcom as well because of the time commitment required. Push yourself to get some more quality clinical experience and get some good LOR's (especially from a DO, hopefully your GP could help you there?). Work your butt off and aim to get above their average MCAT of 28 and I think you would be a good candidate. If you score below still apply cuz you still would have a good shot.

Other things which could help include research and community volunteering experience so if possible consider working on these as well. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm applying here.. and infact ccom's at the top of my list..

does any1 know wht wud be a competitive gpa and mcat score for international applicants at ccom??

I'm done with my aacomas application but I haven't submitted yet. I'm going to wait till like November to submit because I really want to stay in state. Do you guys think November is too late and my chances go down? I have above average stats for this school. All I have to do with accomas is hit submit and pay. Transcripts, letters, everything is ready to go.

I'm done with my aacomas application but I haven't submitted yet. I'm going to wait till like November to submit because I really want to stay in state. Do you guys think November is too late and my chances go down? I have above average stats for this school. All I have to do with accomas is hit submit and pay. Transcripts, letters, everything is ready to go.

i guess i am not sure why you would think of doing that. if you get accepted to CCOM you don't HAVE to go there, so why not be safe and apply. i was told by DMU that half of their class is full by that time so I would apply now and get everything out of the way. you can also schedule your interview for later if you get one.

on another note, became complete today. excited.

Mine is 1 page. I put the most important things.

I have not yet taken the MCAT, can i still send in my app to AACOMAS. Also, for my personal statement, I am thinking of beginning with a quote. Its an emerson quote, something our coach read to us everyday. I know its a personal statement so I'm trying to steer clear, but I feel like I can relate this one, as I did not just google the first quote that sounded good

Does anyone know if I can submit more than 2 letters... I have an MD letter, but am waiting on a DO letter, I am wondering if I submit my MD letter now, if I could submit the DO letter when I get it?

Does anyone know if I can submit more than 2 letters... I have an MD letter, but am waiting on a DO letter, I am wondering if I submit my MD letter now, if I could submit the DO letter when I get it?

probably won't wait. i submitted 2 science and 1 MD just because i was lazy with interfolio and they just threw one of them out and I became complete. i suppose it may change if you actually ask them to throw the MD out and accept the DO if you think the DO would be better.

Yea, you should be able to. Then again, this depends on which school you are applying too. If the med school says 3, then you can sent three. If you want to sent more, they will just add it to your file.

Ok, Sent in my secondary. I am 30 yrs old. Had a 3.4 gpa in college. 3.55 in graduate school (M. Div) and a 3.85 post-bac gpa. 32 MCAT (10, 10, 11). M.D. rec (still waiting on my post-bac school to send the packet though). 400+ hours of clinical experiance as a chaplain. but almost no shadowing experiance. Do you think I have got a chance?

p.s. my wife and I live about 10 minutes from Midwestern so if anyone gets an interview and wants some place free to stay we would love to have guests.

Ok, Sent in my secondary. I am 30 yrs old. Had a 3.4 gpa in college. 3.55 in graduate school (M. Div) and a 3.85 post-bac gpa. 32 MCAT (10, 10, 11). M.D. rec (still waiting on my post-bac school to send the packet though). 400+ hours of clinical experiance as a chaplain. but almost no shadowing experiance. Do you think I have got a chance?

p.s. my wife and I live about 10 minutes from Midwestern so if anyone gets an interview and wants some place free to stay we would love to have guests.

w/o a question- you do have a chance! but if you are worried about your lack of DO shadowing, that is something that can easily be taken care of. LOR can be still sent in after your secondary is submitted. Go on any hospital's website and call DO doctors, usually it says where they graduated from, this way you can pick a former CCOM student. Good luck!

sorry I said 32 (10, 10, 11) that does not make any sense. :). (11 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS)

this is where I want to go....let's hope 1 year from now, I'm still in Chicago, and go to this school:/

Don't forget you have to wait for stuff to get verified, reviewed, etc. Submit your AACOMAS, delay your secondary submission if you really want to wait, then you can delay your interview (you pick the date) if you want to wait more, and finally, you'll have about a month to make a deposit if you get in. With rolling admissions, delaying your AACOMAS application until November might screw you out of an acceptance, even with your "above average stats".

for the first question, is it basically just asking "why CCOM?"

I received a letter in snail mail encouraging me to fill out the secondary, but I've been complete for a while. I think its just generic.

When are interview invites going out? I would love to go to this school.

I dislike typing up a CV even more than I dislike re-entering AACOMAS data into secondaries like other schools ask.

When are interview invites going out? I would love to go to this school.

if they stick with past years, they seem to go out about the third week of august. they will not send them out until this years class is finalized which can be through the first week of classes (we start august 8th)
i would imagine you are probably looking at the following week or the next before invites start going out if i had to guess

Question, where did yall find the cutoff scores for schools? (someone mentioned a cutoff score for the MCAT/GPA for this school).

Thanks!

thanks for this, as the counselor said you can only see rotation list once you get accepted??

CCOM is very traditional when I visited the campus in my opinion and didn't have much research facilities?
There is a LOT of research going on. They're simply in a transition phase moving to the new building so they probably didn't show you the old labs as they're all being transferred to new labs by the fall quarter.

if they stick with past years, they seem to go out about the third week of august. they will not send them out until this years class is finalized which can be through the first week of classes (we start august 8th)
i would imagine you are probably looking at the following week or the next before invites start going out if i had to guess

Hi, when does the waitlist officially close, it is by the end of this orientation week or is by the end of the first week of school, meaning next week Friday? Thanks

Hi, when does the waitlist officially close, it is by the end of this orientation week or is by the end of the first week of school, meaning next week Friday? Thanks

I think it is through the wednesday the first week of class that there can still be movement, but I am not sure

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know how CCOM presents information to students. Is it lecture-->exam, PBL, etc? Also, are lectures mandatory and are they recorded? From what I understand, AZCOM gives its students a lot of freedom when it comes to studying, attending lectures, etc.. I wanted to know if its the same at CCOM.

If this has already been asked then sorry. It would be nice if you can lead me to the answer.

thanks

Hey everyone, just few quick questions about CCOM secondary.
I have last year's prompts:

1. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of Osteopathic Medical Education you are seeking?
2. Why should CCOM accept you into this years class?

Are the essay/prompts same for this year as well? Can someone verify with me?
Oh also, anyone aware of MCAT subsection cutoffs when giving out secondary?
I have a 27, but my verbal is a 6...

Thanks a lot in advance, and I wish everyone good luck!

Hey everyone, just few quick questions about CCOM secondary.
I have last year's prompts:

1. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of Osteopathic Medical Education you are seeking?
2. Why should CCOM accept you into this years class?

Are the essay/prompts same for this year as well? Can someone verify with me?
Oh also, anyone aware of MCAT subsection cutoffs when giving out secondary?
I have a 27, but my verbal is a 6...

Thanks a lot in advance, and I wish everyone good luck!

Secondary is the same. I don't know about the mcat.

Secondary is the same. I don't know about the mcat.

Thanks DrWily...was there a limit to the length of the essay? Or special instructions regarding the format of the essays?

Mine is 1 page. I put the most important things.

The rule of business is, resumes should never be more than 1 page. This is probably especially true in this situation since they already have your aacomas application. I'm viewing it as CCOM just wants a quick, easy-to-read overview of you. You have to give them the highlights and make it look interesting so they want to know more, either by thoroughly reading your aacomas application or (hopefully) with an interview.

Thanks DrWily...was there a limit to the length of the essay? Or special instructions regarding the format of the essays?

1500 characters allotted for each essay.

The rule of business is, resumes should never be more than 1 page. This is probably especially true in this situation since they already have your aacomas application. I'm viewing it as CCOM just wants a quick, easy-to-read overview of you. You have to give them the highlights and make it look interesting so they want to know more, either by thoroughly reading your aacomas application or (hopefully) with an interview.

Mine's 1.5 pages just because they ask for things that you don't normally put on resumes.. like hobbies.

Oh, well a CV in academia can be lengthy compared to a job resume.

Any western Chicago suburban applicants want to start a applicant support group? (I.e go have some drinks and complain)

Any western Chicago suburban applicants want to start a applicant support group? (I.e go have some drinks and complain)

Way to exclude the northern ppl :p

I think all applicants should be required to go see a Second City show to laugh off some of the application season stress.

Wont be applying until next summer, but more than willing to go out for drinks and complain.:thumbup: