cGPA 3.6; MCAT 484; what are me chances....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FantaGirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

FantaGirl
Hey guys , so here's my dilemma...
Should I apply this cycle/ do I have any chances of getting in anywhere? If so, where?

cGPA 3.6
sGPA 3.4
MCAT 484

Major: biochem
Graduated in 3 years
Volunteering with elderly for 3 years
Volunteering at community health clinic 100 hours
Volunteering as after school tutor for 2-7th graders - 40 hours
Volunteering with troubled youth - 2200 hours
Salvation Army volunteer- 2 days
Planning on volunteering abroad this summer for a month

Working as Respite care person with children with disabilities - 2 years full time, I haven't calculated the hours yet
Working as CNA at hospital - 2,000 hrs
Working at OB Scrub Tech- 1,200 hrs
Research- 1 semester

I speak French, Russian, working knowledge in Spanish

I KNOW I am capable of the rigors of medical school. Just do not feel confident about my MCAT & I don't have the funds of retaking it.
I am currently caring for my ailing grandmother while working two jobs. As, I am a "disadvantaged" student, also minority

Pleaaaaaasseeeee let me know what I should do. Is my application strong enough?
Is my MCAT score really holding me back?
Will I get in anywhere with this score?

Thanks for your feedback!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't mean to put you down, only to be realistic- I think the MCAT score will cause some admission committees to pass over your app. The first thing they see is the numbers, and that's what stands out and may prevent them from looking at all of your experience. I would STRONGLY suggest retaking the MCAT if you plan on applying in the 2016-2017 cycle. I just don't think anything good will happen with the score you have. Do you think the score is low because you had an off day or because you weren't prepared? Use that info to decide if you should retake it or wait another year before applying. You said that you don't have the money to retake the test- if this is true, I would assume you don't feel comfortable with being able to pay for this application cycle. That, as well as you helping your grandmother and working several jobs, would lead me to suggest that you wait and apply in the 2017-2018 cycle. You can have money saved up, retake the MCAT, have all of your letters and your personal statement ready, and get some shadowing done (you didn't mention any above, but you'll definitely need some).

Hi there, I'm in the same position as you are, but I'll be retaking the MCAT this Saturday. I got a 490 when I took it back in September with a 3.7 gpa. I'm also a minority with great extra curricular activities, but I was basically rejected from all the schools that I applied to. Here's what you can do, there are schools which offer special master's programs where if you maintain a 3.5 gpa, you matriculate into their DO class of the following year. I've applied to such programs and I've gotten accepted. Also, since I'm in a financially bad situation as well, I applied to a fee assistance program through AACOMAS and I payed a lot less for the MCAT, so you can look into that as well. With this program, you can also apply to up to 5 schools for free. I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavors!

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't apply without retaking the MCAT and I wouldn't retake the MCAT unless you know that you can get over 500.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have zero chance with that MCAT score. Anyone who says otherwise is trying to be tactful.

Reactions: 2 users
With an MCAT in the 8th percentile, or a 15 on the old exam, you have to retake the MCAT and do better. If that means deferring your app for a year to save money for another exam, that's what you should do. Put the money you were going to use to apply this cycle towards repeating your MCAT.

Best of luck

FantaGirl
Hey guys , so here's my dilemma...
Should I apply this cycle/ do I have any chances of getting in anywhere? If so, where?

cGPA 3.6
sGPA 3.4
MCAT 484

Major: biochem
Graduated in 3 years
Volunteering with elderly for 3 years
Volunteering at community health clinic 100 hours
Volunteering as after school tutor for 2-7th graders - 40 hours
Volunteering with troubled youth - 2200 hours
Salvation Army volunteer- 2 days
Planning on volunteering abroad this summer for a month

Working as Respite care person with children with disabilities - 2 years full time, I haven't calculated the hours yet
Working as CNA at hospital - 2,000 hrs
Working at OB Scrub Tech- 1,200 hrs
Research- 1 semester

I speak French, Russian, working knowledge in Spanish

I KNOW I am capable of the rigors of medical school. Just do not feel confident about my MCAT & I don't have the funds of retaking it.
I am currently caring for my ailing grandmother while working two jobs. As, I am a "disadvantaged" student, also minority

Pleaaaaaasseeeee let me know what I should do. Is my application strong enough?
Is my MCAT score really holding me back?
Will I get in anywhere with this score?

Thanks for your feedback!!

I hate to say it, but even if your score was 15 points higher, I'd recommend retaking it and applying next cycle. It sounds like you have fantastic EC's, and your GPA is solid, so this is the last hurdle you have to overcome. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother and your financial situation. However, this is not a race. Even if it takes 3 more years to work up the funds to go through this process the proper way, that's what you need to do. Take your time, make some money, study your ass off, get tutoring if necessary, crush it next time you take it, and get into med school. No way around it. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user