cGPA 3.6; MCAT 484.. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FantaGirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

FantaGirl
Hey guys , so here's my dilemma...
Should I apply this cycle/ do I have any chances of getting in anywhere? If so, where?

cGPA 3.6
sGPA 3.4
MCAT 484

Major: biochem
Graduated in 3 years
Volunteering with elderly for 3 years
Volunteering at community health clinic 100 hours
Volunteering as after school tutor for 2-7th graders - 40 hours
Volunteering with troubled youth - 2200 hours
Salvation Army volunteer- 2 days
Planning on volunteering abroad this summer for a month

Working as Respite care person with children with disabilities - 2 years full time, I haven't calculated the hours yet
Working as CNA at hospital - 2,000 hrs
Working at OB Scrub Tech- 1,200 hrs
Research- 1 semester

I speak French, Russian, working knowledge in Spanish

I KNOW I am capable of the rigors of medical school. Just do not feel confident about my MCAT & I don't have the funds of retaking it.
I am currently caring for my ailing grandmother while working two jobs. As, I am a "disadvantaged" student, also minority

Pleaaaaaasseeeee let me know what I should do. Is my application strong enough?
Is my MCAT score really holding me back?
Will I get in anywhere with this score?

Thanks for your feedback!!

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT is 100% holding you back. You can not get into any US medical school with that score. You are at a risk to fail boards and no school would take that risk. Take the whole summer, study for the MCAT, and apply next cycle

The MCAT is 100% holding you back. You can not get into any US medical school with that score. You are at a risk to fail boards and no school would take that risk. Take the whole summer, study for the MCAT, and apply next cycle

Thank you for your response! Do you think retaking it for this cycle would be ideal?

Would I be screened out? The rest of my application is pretty strong without that

Thank you for your response! Do you think retaking it for this cycle would be ideal?

Would I be screened out? The rest of my application is pretty strong without that

I am guessing you would be screened out but if not it would be thrown in the reject pile within a second without looking at the rest of your app.

Your EC's look really good, and your GPA is sufficient. Are you going for MD or DO? MD might be down the drain with that MCAT score unless you retake it and crush it (514+), but some may only look at most recent/highest

Members don't see this ad :)

How much did you study for the MCAT? What materials did you use?

I really want to do DO, just because of my background

I studied for about 4-5 months using Kaplan
Took at least 7 practice tests . My score for those were 496 (first) - 508 (last)

I really want to do DO, just because of my background

I studied for about 4-5 months using Kaplan
Took at least 7 practice tests . My score for those were 496 (first) - 508 (last)
You scored 24 points below your highest and 10 below your lowest Kaplan score and you're not considering retaking?? Definitely retake.

What was the breakdown of you MCAT?

Also I wouldn't apply with that MCAT score...save your money and retake the MCAT before you apply. You do know that a 484 is in the 5 percentile ....no bueno.

Okay, I guess I'll be retaking it within the next few months.. Thanks guys!!

Is there no hope for any school besides Caribbean?

Okay, I guess I'll be retaking it within the next few months.. Thanks guys!!

Is there no hope for any school besides Caribbean?
I'm not saying this to sound pessimistic but to save you money on an application cycle. Your score puts you at the 8th percentile. Even with a 4.0 your chaces at an interview are slim to none. Seeing as you did well on other Kaplan tests don't you think this was most likely a fluke and not consistent with your abilities? I feel like a retake could be very beneficial

What happens if I don't improve? Or do better by just a few points( not over 500)
Should I apply anyway?

What happens if I don't improve? Or do better by just a few points( not over 500)
Should I apply anyway?

Did you use any of the AAMC materials in your prep?? They have 2 practice tests and the section bank. These are very close to what you will see on test day.... the Kaplan tests are nothing like what you will see (I work for Kaplan too). I scored lower than you on Kaplan tests and had a MCAT score almost 30 points higher than yours. If you were scoring that well on Kaplan though you had the natural smarts to do well on the test. Re evaluate your study skills and try again.. With a score of 505+ you'll be competitive for a lot of DO schools!

Did you have a bad test day? Normally with Kaplan, people tend to score a few points higher on the real deal, but scoring almost 24 points lower is definitely an anomaly. I took it back in September and bombed it as well (490), but I'll be retaking it soon. Did you take the AAMC practice exams before your exam?