cGPA 3.87, sGPA 3.78, MCAT 28R--please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibelieve87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I submitted my primary application to one school earlier this month with the plan to add schools after I saw my MCAT score (which was today)...Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed. Here's the breakdown: PS-8, VR-10, BS-10, 28R. After pouting and beating myself up, I decided it might be more effective to consult the wise folk at SDN. :bow:

1. School suggestions? I used the MSAR to "favorite" 20-ish schools that I am interested in, just pretending I got a 30 on the MCAT. Should I completely throw this out? At this point, I the 28R is probably the limiting factor. Note: I have no desire to go to an ivy league or anything and am also 99% sure I am applying this cycle.

2. Is retaking the MCAT something I should definitely plan on doing? I'm hoping there have been others in a similar position that could offer advice. Would it be possible to have schools evaluate my application with the current MCAT score and then contact them about re-taking so they know I'm at least aware that it's sub-par? I don't want to retake 8/12 or 8/18 and then have them not review my app until the end of September when the 2nd score comes out.

Useful info:
cGPA 3.87, sGPA 3.78-ish (I calculated it myself)
Honors program-graduating summa cum laude (honors thesis)
Dean's list (etc etc)

A sampling of EC's:
-Scribe in the ED: I've done this for 1+ year while taking classes
-Mentoring group of middle school girls at my church,1 year
-Relay for Life committee, 3 years
-Research: 2+ years, writing my honors thesis with this lab, awarded a $1,400 stipend for next fall
-Hospital volunteering: 4 different departments, been doing this since high school
-Church volunteering: a few different projects/mission trips, been doing this since high school
-Shadowing: mentorship with family practice MD (in high school, 100+ hours), random other shorter duration shadowing experiences.

I also have A LOT of experience as a patient myself and a *potentially* unique story. Maybe that doesn't matter though, as everyone thinks they are unique!

Thanks in advance for the advice/suggestions/tips. I would bribe with cookies or treats but I haven't figured out how to send them through my computer screen yet. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I would retake in August or Sep esp. with MCAT scores soaring in recent years (32 is the new 30 so you might as well have gotten a 26). PS is a section that is not that difficult to bring up to double digits (unlike, say, Verbal which is far more intuitive and depends on natural talent). What were your practice scores like? Consider buying the Berkeley books in physics and inorganic chem if you haven't already....they do a really good job (got a 12 in PS from them) of explaining the concepts moreso than any other company.

I'd submit, find realistic schools, and accept the fact that you might have to attend an expensive OOS school. Also, I would apply broadly; someone's bound to bite with your great grades/EC's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies!

-My scores on the practice tests ranged between 26 and 31 and the PS was always my lowest sub-score. I used the complete set of Berkeley books from the beginning and really focused my last chunk of studying on physics because I knew that's where my scores were weakest. I guess I have no idea if the questions I got wrong on the real thing were more physics or gen chem...and I'm not sure what more I can do. I did well in the courses but made careless mistakes with the calculations when I felt rushed on the practice tests (and on actual test day).

-Does anyone have suggestions as to how I might select schools? Obviously my MCAT score is at the low end of the ranges and my GPA is more toward the middle or high end. So how do I reconcile the difference? Is there any way to know which schools screen out applicants based on composite or section scores on the MCAT?

Thanks for the replies!

-My scores on the practice tests ranged between 26 and 31 and the PS was always my lowest sub-score. I used the complete set of Berkeley books from the beginning and really focused my last chunk of studying on physics because I knew that's where my scores were weakest. I guess I have no idea if the questions I got wrong on the real thing were more physics or gen chem...and I'm not sure what more I can do. I did well in the courses but made careless mistakes with the calculations when I felt rushed on the practice tests (and on actual test day).

-Does anyone have suggestions as to how I might select schools? Obviously my MCAT score is at the low end of the ranges and my GPA is more toward the middle or high end. So how do I reconcile the difference? Is there any way to know which schools screen out applicants based on composite or section scores on the MCAT?

I was in a very similar situation last cycle: high GPA (3.99 cGPA / 4.0 sGPA), low MCAT (28M, 9PS, 9VS, 10BS), pretty good ECs (see my MDapps for details). The stats combo definitely makes things very unpredictable and so I also had a hard time picking schools.

I'd recommend applying to your state schools (since I'm a CA resident, my state schools were all pretty much reaches, but generally you have your best shot at state schools). I also applied to a lot of OOS schools, particularly private schools or schools that don't have as strong state residency preference. I used the MSAR pretty heavily to pick schools. I tended to pick schools where my 28 MCAT was at least in the bottom 10th percentile (or within the gray range in the MSAR). I felt like I couldn't rely on my GPA too much.

It ended well for me :). I got into one of my top choices, where I didn't believe I had any shot at. And I got a few other interview invites.

It's possible. You just gotta compensate for a low MCAT score. Your ECs seem really great! Of course re-taking the MCAT and getting a better score will make things more predictable and less stressful for you. It's really up to you to take that risk. I had the same exact dilemma a year ago.

Good luck! :luck:

I was in a very similar situation last cycle: high GPA (3.99 cGPA / 4.0 sGPA), low MCAT (28M, 9PS, 9VS, 10BS), pretty good ECs (see my MDapps for details). The stats combo definitely makes things very unpredictable and so I also had a hard time picking schools.

I'd recommend applying to your state schools (since I'm a CA resident, my state schools were all pretty much reaches, but generally you have your best shot at state schools). I also applied to a lot of OOS schools, particularly private schools or schools that don't have as strong state residency preference. I used the MSAR pretty heavily to pick schools. I tended to pick schools where my 28 MCAT was at least in the bottom 10th percentile (or within the gray range in the MSAR). I felt like I couldn't rely on my GPA too much.

It ended well for me :). I got into one of my top choices, where I didn't believe I had any shot at. And I got a few other interview invites.

It's possible. You just gotta compensate for a low MCAT score. Your ECs seem really great! Of course re-taking the MCAT and getting a better score will make things more predictable and less stressful for you. It's really up to you to take that risk. I had the same exact dilemma a year ago.

Good luck! :luck:

Thank you! It helps to hear that it's possible. Congratulations! :)

I wonder if I could beg Catalystik for help with a list of schools...??? Or anyone else??

Your GPA is higher than mine and your ECs are better, but I feel similarly in applying (perhaps foolishly) with a 29S. Also, reading SDN is like crack and is really bad for me because it makes me just freak out more about my low chances.

Anyway, I'm applying to 28 schools. I might end up applying to Oakland and Cooper later as well because I'd rather live in Camden than get 30 rejections.

U Mass Tufts Boston University Vermont Connecticut Georgetown George Washington Albert Einstein SUNY Downstate Stony Brook University New York Medical Albany Medical College SUNY Upstate Rochester University at Buffalo Hofstra Pennsylvania State Drexel Jefferson Commonwealth Medical College Temple Loyola-Stritch Rush U of Illinois Rosalind Franklin Wayne State Michigan State Tulane

I also scored a 28 on the MCAT and was dissapointed. That was the same score of my very first practice test and I had been trending upward closer to 32 by the end of my studying. My grades were also much lower than yours (3.3 cgpa and 3.15 sgpa). I ended up being accepted to my realistic first choice school in the state of michigan, where my family lives. It's not impossible to beat the odds with a given set of scores. Good luck!

Does anyone know if it's even worth it to apply to schools where my mcat isn't in the range listed in the MSAR? So far I have been staying away from ones that have ranges that start at 29 on the bottom end. If I have a 28 I am just assuming that I will automatically be rejected just based on that number alone. Is this a faulty assumption?

Also, I'm paranoid about feeling like I don't deserve to be a member of a class where I my MCAT score is one of the worst. Is this an issue that people face or does your score sort of "go away" after being accepted?

Also, I'm paranoid about feeling like I don't deserve to be a member of a class where I my MCAT score is one of the worst. Is this an issue that people face or does your score sort of "go away" after being accepted?

I'm hoping that wherever you go to medical school, you first don't meet people who ask you what your MCAT score was, and you second don't meet people who would judge you based on the number. You were good enough to get in, and if things go well, you will end up with the same MD as the jerk with a 40T who was snooty towards you.

Last edited:
Okay, so I have another question.

I have submitted 4 of my secondaries and am working on the rest right now. I haven't been studying for the MCAT but I'm having second thoughts about whether or not I should be re-taking in August. I understand that most (if not all) schools will wait to look at the whole application when the second set of scores get there if I list the re-take date on the AMCAS. But what if I don't have it listed on there right now and am complete at schools within the next week or so. Is it mandatory that I go back into my primary application and update with plans to re-take the MCAT? What if I decide to do this relatively last minute? Or don't update it at all and the score just gets sent. Is that against the rules?

Basically, I would like to have my application reviewed as soon as the pieces are there. Then if I re-take it schools can take the second score into consideration as well. I tried calling a few of the numbers for the admissions people at various schools and got a pretty "canned" answer so I'm hoping someone on SDN can help.

Thanks in advance. You people are my heroes.

Sorry to bump...Can anyone take a peak at my list? I have started submitting secondaries and am complete at several of the schools but am now wondering if it would be wise to add 2-ish more? [See my stats above]

So far:
Creighton, Drexel, Jefferson, Temple, George Washington, Medical College of, Wisconsin, Oakland, Michigan State, University of MN, Madison, Rosalind Franklin, Penn State, University of Iowa, University of Kansas, Loma Linda, Loyola, Rush, Eastern Virginia, Wright, Virgina Commonwealth, Arizona-Tuscon, NYMC, University of Vermont

Thinking about:
Cincinnati, Toledo, Arizona-Phoenix, Louisville, SLU, Wake Forest, Northeastern Ohio

Thanks in advance. I REALLY appreciate any help I can get.

I understand that most (if not all) schools will wait to look at the whole application when the second set of scores get there if I list the re-take date on the AMCAS. But what if I don't have it listed on there right now and am complete at schools within the next week or so. Is it mandatory that I go back into my primary application and update with plans to re-take the MCAT? What if I decide to do this relatively last minute? Or don't update it at all and the score just gets sent. Is that against the rules?

Basically, I would like to have my application reviewed as soon as the pieces are there. Then if I re-take it schools can take the second score into consideration as well. I tried calling a few of the numbers for the admissions people at various schools and got a pretty "canned" answer so I'm hoping someone on SDN can help.
If you don't let schools know that another MCAT take date is in the offing, you run the risk of a premature rejection, from which there is no recourse. The second score will not be considered by those schools.

Can anyone take a peak at my list? I have started submitting secondaries and am complete at several of the schools but am now wondering if it would be wise to add 2-ish more? [See my stats above]

So far:
Creighton, Drexel, Jefferson, Temple, George Washington, Medical College of, Wisconsin, Oakland, Michigan State, University of MN, Madison, Rosalind Franklin, Penn State, University of Iowa, University of Kansas, Loma Linda, Loyola, Rush, Eastern Virginia, Wright, Virgina Commonwealth, Arizona-Tuscon, NYMC, University of Vermont

Thinking about:
Cincinnati, Toledo, Arizona-Phoenix, Louisville, SLU, Wake Forest, Northeastern Ohio
With a 3.87/28, these schools might be reasonable additions for your current stats:

UIllinois, Wayne, Buffalo, Toledo, UNebraska, Virginia Tech Carilion (newer), Arizona-Phoenix,
FIU, Louisville, Tulane, Florida Atlantic University (new),
Commonwealth MC in Pa, Cooper (new in NJ)

bold=on your list for consideration

With a 3.87/28, these schools might be reasonable additions for your current stats:

UIllinois, Wayne, Buffalo, Toledo, UNebraska, Virginia Tech Carilion (newer), Arizona-Phoenix,
FIU, Louisville, Tulane, Florida Atlantic University (new),
Commonwealth MC in Pa, Cooper (new in NJ)

bold=on your list for consideration

I'm not planning on re-taking the MCAT at this point, as I haven't been studying for it at all. I'm hoping this won't end up being a huge mistake.

I think I've seen the same list of schools you provided in other threads posted by people with similar stats? Did you make it solely on numbers? I looked in to Florida Atlantic but it didn't seem like they accepted many OOS. The MSAR says the 10th percentile for Virginia Tech is 31...is there a particular reason that is included in your recommendations?

If a school has a 10th percentile MCAT of 29 or above is it not worth it to apply there at all?

Thanks for your help Catalystik!

MSAR gives acceptee medians (and doesn't include the 1st-9th percentiles). Matriculant averages for Virginia Tech are 3.5/33. With your high cGPA to compensate for the lower MCAT score, your LizzyM score is close enough to consider it, especially with your stronger ECs. And recall that half get in with stats below the "average." But if the MCAT bottom tenth percentile truly is reported as 31, I too, would hesitate to apply there with a 28. If it were 29, I would certainly apply there.

As Florida Atlantic is so new, OOS matriculant averages aren't cast in stone yet, but I believe at least 15% of the first class is from OOS (my personal cutpoint for reasonable odds).