DO Chance me please. 3.35cgpa, 3.2sgpa, 27 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nimbus200090

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been floating around the pre-med forums for a while and I finally decided to have some guts and post a "chance me" thread. I am not applying this cycle but next year. I received my MCAT score, and the bottom GPA's are my current GPAs. By taking an extra year of pure GPA fix ups I managed to pull my GPAs to 3.35 and 3.2 as stated below (Yes my intial GPAs were THAT bad). In my defense (if this helps at all) I received all A's in my extra "GPA fix up" year. Also again if it helps I did graduate from a decently well known school. I really do not have money to burn anymore so I believe retaking more courses might be very difficult for me. I know my GPAs are less than stellar, but I did want some input from the people at sdn.

Stats:
3.35 Cumulative GPA
3.2 Science GPA
9, 9, 9 = 27 MCAT

EC:
Volunteer and Leadership Position (for a organization that is related to Medicine) 4 years
Volunteer for 2 weeks abroad for Medical Mission Trip
Volunteer for 2 weeks abroad for another Medical Mission Trip

Shadowed Pediatrics MD once a month for 1 year (whenever the Doctor was available)
Shadowed Urgent Care MD for a day during the Medical Trip
Shadowed ENT MD for a day during the Medical Trip

Receptionist and Billing Assistant at a Medical Office for 5 years

LOR's
2 Good LOR's from TA and Professor from Upper Level Science Courses
1 Good LOR from General Biology TA
1 Stellar LOR from MD
Unfortunately in my area it is very difficult for me to find a Osteopathic Physician. I shadowed a Osteopathic Physician for a few hours, but I do not think I deserve a LOR just because I watched her treat a couple of patients.

To tell you the truth I feel very depressed because even though I tried so hard my last year to fix up my past mistakes it wasn't enough to pull the science gpa to a 3.3 or above and I do not have a MCAT of 30 and above to counter the low GPA... I'm not sure if I have any chance at all during the cycle I will apply with these stats. I am currently working as a Nursing Assistant, so maybe I can save up some money to retake 2-3 classes at a local community college.

So the point is I will be applying the next cycle coming in June with those stats that I stated. If I do any more GPA fix ups or MCAT retakes it's going to have to be next year after I save some money. My question is do I have a decent shot or chance of making it into one of the Osteopathic Medical Schools? Sorry for the long post. Any input is appreciated. I wish you all luck as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT isn't terrible, but it could be a little better. Your cumulative isn't bad, either, and your ECs are ok. Under your LORs you wrote that you have 3 good ones and 1 stellar one. Ideally, they should ALL be stellar. If you have an MCAT that isn't very competitive, everything else in your application file must be to make up for it. That includes awesome LORs (You should ask people who know you well!) and an awesome personal statement. Best of luck!

Not a great chance at many, if any MD schools, but great applicant for DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO you stand a pretty good change. MD is slim to none.

I think you'll be fine if you apply early and broadly! No need for retakes.

So the point is I will be applying the next cycle coming in June with those stats that I stated. If I do any more GPA fix ups or MCAT retakes it's going to have to be next year after I save some money. My question is do I have a decent shot or chance of making it into one of the Osteopathic Medical Schools? Sorry for the long post. Any input is appreciated. I wish you all luck as well.[/QUOTE]

I know this is late, I got a little busy with work, but thank you for all the responses!

you should be good man

What was the result of OP's application? I have similar stats and would like to compare.