Chance me please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

revell1108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'd appreciate it if y'all could look over my stats and help me decide on a plan of action for this cycle. I recently graduated from college. TN resident.

3.71 cGPA, 3.56 sGPA, 27 MCAT (10 PS 9 VR 8 BS)

One semester of collaborative research at my university.

150 hrs shadowing (130 with various specialties (volunteer program) and 20 with a CMO)

4 non medical mission trips, including 2 overseas

2 years tutoring underprivileged kids

1.5 years doing inner city outreach

2 years volunteering with preschoolers 4-5 times a month

Member of 3 honor societies

Freshman orientation leader

Currently in the process of obtaining my EMT-B certification.

Plan on becoming involved in a tutoring program that works primarily with refugees.

I am aware that my MCAT score is low. Since I am currently taking an accelerated EMT course that lasts all summer, I'm unsure as to when I'd have adequate time to study for a retake. Besides taking the MCAT again, what else can I do to improve my chances? Also, what schools do I have the best chance at? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes your MCAT is low. However, it appears that you being a Tennessee resident is a huge benefit for you. East Tennessee's average MCAT of 29 is not too much higher than your MCAT. University of Tennessee seems like it would be a stretch due to the average MCAT score being a 30. Your GPA is also lower than the averages at both of these schools. If you are dead set on applying this cycle, you may have a shot at your state school. Unfortunately your chances for MD acceptances OOS are pretty slim. If you want to go OOS then a retake is essential.

27 is usually the cutoff that admins look for.... so you might squeak by in getting an interview at a few places especially since you have very good activities. If you do want to retake the exam it is likely too late in this cycle unless you're ready to take it immediately and for it to be worth the retake you should aim to score above a 30 to counteract applying a month behind everyone else. Because with lower than a 30 you need to have everything submitted before July if you want a decent chance. So either apply with a 27 or retake and wait a year.

Best chances are at DO programs and the lowest of the low-tier MD schools, like NYMC.
Maybe try the neest MD schools, like Quinnipac or Hofstra as well.

Hey guys I'd appreciate it if y'all could look over my stats and help me decide on a plan of action for this cycle. I recently graduated from college. TN resident.

3.71 cGPA, 3.56 sGPA, 27 MCAT (10 PS 9 VR 8 BS)

One semester of collaborative research at my university.

150 hrs shadowing (130 with various specialties (volunteer program) and 20 with a CMO)

4 non medical mission trips, including 2 overseas

2 years tutoring underprivileged kids

1.5 years doing inner city outreach

2 years volunteering with preschoolers 4-5 times a month

Member of 3 honor societies

Freshman orientation leader

Currently in the process of obtaining my EMT-B certification.

Plan on becoming involved in a tutoring program that works primarily with refugees.

I am aware that my MCAT score is low. Since I am currently taking an accelerated EMT course that lasts all summer, I'm unsure as to when I'd have adequate time to study for a retake. Besides taking the MCAT again, what else can I do to improve my chances? Also, what schools do I have the best chance at? Thanks!!