Chance me please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psquared22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to apply to DO schools for the entering class of 2014. Was hoping to get some input on my chances as well as to possible schools.
Colorado Resident
Biology Major
sGPA - 3.56
cGPA - 3.66
MCAT - 27P, 28O
80 hours volunteering at a children's hospital (looking to volunteer again elsewhere)
5 years (~6000hrs) working as a transporter in Radiology Department at two different hospitals
a few spare shadowing experiences (working on that as we speak, both with MD and DO)
Thanks in advance for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like a good chance at most, if not all. What is the breakdown, at least 8 in every category will be higher chances than if you have a particularly low score in one category.

Looking to apply to DO schools for the entering class of 2014. Was hoping to get some input on my chances as well as to possible schools.
Colorado Resident
Biology Major
sGPA - 3.56
cGPA - 3.66
MCAT - 27P, 28O
80 hours volunteering at a children's hospital (looking to volunteer again elsewhere)
5 years (~6000hrs) working as a transporter in Radiology Department at two different hospitals
a few spare shadowing experiences (working on that as we speak, both with MD and DO)
Thanks in advance for the input!

You are competitive at all DO schools....You might have a shot at some low tiers MD if you are open to MD as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like a good chance at most, if not all. What is the breakdown, at least 8 in every category will be higher chances than if you have a particularly low score in one category.

My breakdown the first time was 9V 9B 9P, second time around it was 10V 9B 9P...probably would have been a little more helpful in original post haha.

Get some good letters of rec, preferably one from a DO and stay cool during the interview and there is no reason you shouldn't get in :thumbup:

Survivor D.O.

My breakdown the first time was 9V 9B 9P, second time around it was 10V 9B 9P...probably would have been a little more helpful in original post haha.

You will be competitive at all of them. Just make sure you keep up with the volunteering and clinical stuff. Do well in all your classes this semester to boost your GPA as much as possible. Apply early to gain the best shot and take the time to write good essays for every school you apply to.

I'm not sure what state you are from so that can make the choices vary. There is a pdf file that AACOMAS made that includes all the previous year stats and tuition for the medical schools. That would be a good resource. Pick schools that have a tuition you would be willing to pay, especially for any out of state schools. Also, see if you can find out the percentage of OOS students accepted for those schools you are interested in.

I was born in Colorado, and traveled overseas as a military brat for most of my life before I came back for undergrad. I actually graduated in the spring of 2011 from undergrad so the GPAs are locked in. Thanks for pointing me towards the pdf, really nice to see a breakdown of all the schools tuitions all in one spot.

Last edited:
I'm also wondering if my lack of ECs is going to be a hinderance and could possibly screen me out form schools. Any thoughts?

I'm also wondering if my lack of ECs is going to be a hinderance and could possibly screen me out form schools. Any thoughts?

I would not spend a minute worrying about a lack of ECs. Your 5+ years working in healthcare and volunteer experience are awesome. I was in a similar situation (lack of ECs, lots and lots of work experience), and it was only mentioned in one of my interviews (out of 4), and they were very understanding to the fact that I didn't have a lot of free time given that I was going to school full-time and working at least part-time to survive. DO schools especially are understanding and appreciative to those of us who have had to work hard, and I would say MD schools are pretty receptive as well.
One thing I think you should find a little more time to do if possible is more shadowing. Other than that, I think you're a great DO candidate. Get that MCAT up just a few more points and you'd be a good MD candidate too!

Just in case you care about my stats:

cGPA:3.8
sGPA:3.72
MCAT: 31R
Interviewed at DMU, COMP-NW, PNWU, and UWSOM. Accepted at all, will be attending UW in the fall.

Good luck to you!

Also, as a Colorado resident, you should definitely apply to University of Colorado, unless you are just dead-set on a DO school.

Also, as a Colorado resident, you should definitely apply to University of Colorado, unless you are just dead-set on a DO school.

If only DO, then apply to Rocky Vista which is in Colorado. Otherwise, apply to both.

Fine for all DO. Throw a couple of MD in that you have the best shot at. You are gonig to med school either way.

I would not spend a minute worrying about a lack of ECs. Your 5+ years working in healthcare and volunteer experience are awesome. I was in a similar situation (lack of ECs, lots and lots of work experience), and it was only mentioned in one of my interviews (out of 4), and they were very understanding to the fact that I didn't have a lot of free time given that I was going to school full-time and working at least part-time to survive. DO schools especially are understanding and appreciative to those of us who have had to work hard, and I would say MD schools are pretty receptive as well.
One thing I think you should find a little more time to do if possible is more shadowing. Other than that, I think you're a great DO candidate. Get that MCAT up just a few more points and you'd be a good MD candidate too!

Just in case you care about my stats:

cGPA:3.8
sGPA:3.72
MCAT: 31R
Interviewed at DMU, COMP-NW, PNWU, and UWSOM. Accepted at all, will be attending UW in the fall.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm currently calling around to DOs to try to set of a semi-steady shadowing gig. The only thing about my hospital experience is that a lot of places that I've researched might not consider it enough of a direct patient care job. Although it did work out really well for me during undergrad because it allowed me to work on weekends and go to school during the week for three years. Thanks again for the advice and congrats and good luck in school!

Fine for all DO. Throw a couple of MD in that you have the best shot at. You are gonig to med school either way.

Haha that is the exact thing that I would love to hear come next fall/spring. Thanks!