DO Chances for DO? 3.6/3.7/23

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Resistance20

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.. Thanks for any advice or help in advance.

I just graduated my undergrad with a 3.6s/3.7c/23 mcat (10/6/7), 22 (7/8/7)

Unfortunately the mcat didnt turn out anything like my practice tests this time. I was averaging around a 27 and ended up with a 23, so i am signed up for a retake in mid june.

My questions are:

1) Will I be screened out from most schools due to the mcat? (I scored a 6 in verbal the second time, however I had an 8 the first time around)

2) Will schools be waiting on the new mcat score to review my application or will they review it regardless if I am taking another exam or not.

3) Do I have any realistic shot anywhere with this 23? I am expecting a 26-28 when I take it in a few weeks. But I just want to know if I may be competitive in the newer programs with a 23.

4) Is a post-bac worth it for me? I heard as long as you can maintain a certain GPA in some post bac programs you are "guaranteed" admittance. I am not sure if this would fix the hole in my application which is the mcat :p

I am from Illinois with an asian background. I have decent ECs so I think I will be fine there. Thank you so much to anyone who could help with advice!

Members don't see this ad.

That MCAT needs to come up, especially since you took it twice with no improvement really. If you can't bump that up into the 26-28 range like you expect then you're in trouble. You may still stand a chance with what you got but it's not ideal, even for DO.

Your GPA isn't the problem so post bacc won't help.

Take this next MCAT very seriously as your app is pretty much riding on it.

You would be from mine, the Touros and probably Western and CCOM.

1) Will I be screened out from most schools due to the mcat? (I scored a 6 in verbal the second time, however I had an 8 the first time around)

They're not going to wait.
2) Will schools be waiting on the new mcat score to review my application or will they review it regardless if I am taking another exam or not.

Try the newest schools

3) Do I have any realistic shot anywhere with this 23? I am expecting a 26-28 when I take it in a few weeks. But I just want to know if I may be competitive in the newer programs with a 23.

Your GPA is NOT the problem. Even witha 4.0, you're still int he same boat. Fix the test taking deficit. I don't think a ssimple retake is going to do that. We're addicted to standardized tesks in medical school, and your MCAT scores indicate a degree of risk for failing out of med school, or failing boards.

4) Is a post-bac worth it for me? I heard as long as you can maintain a certain GPA in some post bac programs you are "guaranteed" admittance. I am not sure if this would fix the hole in my application which is the mcat :p