Chances for MD and/or DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sdsu1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I wanted to see what everyone thought my chances were for MD/DO schools. Here are some of my numbers. I have a 3.80 overall GPA, a 3.77 science GPA, and a 3.84 non science GPA. I took the MCAT last January and got a 22Q (P:8 V:5 B:9). Needless to say, I am retaking the MCAT in May and just started studying in January. I took a long/close look as to what I think went wrong with my first MCAT so I think I will be much better prepared come May.

As far as extracurriculars, here are some of the things that I am involved in:
--work as an Emergency Room Scribe for the past 6 months
--President of the pre-medical club on my campus for past 2 years
--very involved in a service organization
--volunteer in an ER for past 3 years
--volunteer with a hospice program the last 3 years
--volunteer as a reading tutor for the past year
--volunteer at a free clinic for the past 6 months
--shadowed both an orthopedic surgeon and emergency room physicians
--research in a cardiovascular lab for 2 years

I know that I certainly need to make a drastic improvement with my MCAT coming up. With that in mind, what does everyone think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody,

I wanted to see what everyone thought my chances were for MD/DO schools. Here are some of my numbers. I have a 3.80 overall GPA, a 3.77 science GPA, and a 3.84 non science GPA. I took the MCAT last January and got a 22Q (P:8 V:5 B:9). Needless to say, I am retaking the MCAT in May and just started studying in January. I took a long/close look as to what I think went wrong with my first MCAT so I think I will be much better prepared come May.

I know that I certainly need to make a drastic improvement with my MCAT coming up. With that in mind, what does everyone think?

Everything looks good except for the MCAT... 25+ mcat should be good for DO and 29+ will make you competitive at MD with a minimum VR score of 6 for DO and 8 for MD.

Get that MCAT >30: fine for many MD programs
>28, fine for most DO programs

Work on that Verbal!!!

Hi everybody,

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice guys! Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to improve my verbal score? I got the Examkrackers 101 Verbal Passages and Princeton Review verbal materials which I have not used before.

Does anybody have any other suggestions of ways to improve? I am going with the plan of practicing as much as possible and hoping that all of the extra practice helps. I've just generally heard that it is difficult to increase your verbal score just because it is something that can't really be studied for. Any advice?

EK101 is good. When you do diagnostics, actually read the explanations (same with EK, I think they are in there). It helps you think like the optimal VR test taker.

Practice, practice, practice.

Add primary care shadowing if you are interested in DO. Get a DO letter of rec too.

26+ set for A DO acceptance.
28-30 competitive at all DO schools, can expect lots of interview offers. Low end of chances at MD, but possible.
30+ should be okay for an MD acceptance somewhere if you apply well.

Good GPAs. Good luck!