CLASS OF 2014...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Six more hours... will I survive?
(It's been awful, but not anything to do with what we were talking about earlier).

What's done is done! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

We all feel kinda horrible about being catty and gossipy about classmates like this, but then in the end we decide that it is quite cathartic and that it wouldn't be necessary unless they weren't such donkeyholes in the first place.

I think every school has a few of those.

The more classmates I get into casual conversations with, the more it kind of spills out that others feel the same exact way about the same exact people. At first, we tend to tip toe around the subject, but then when it becomes obvious that we're talking about the same people doing the same thing, we have this :idea: moment, and all the deets come spilling out. And then it always ends with an "omg i felt like such a b**** for feeling this way, but i'm glad you feel the same!" We all feel kinda horrible about being catty and gossipy about classmates like this, but then in the end we decide that it is quite cathartic and that it wouldn't be necessary unless they weren't such donkeyholes in the first place.

hahahahaha it is absolutely amazing how schools can be so different yet certain experiences be so uniform among them. I was just talking to a classmate about experiencing this same exact thing yesterday.

However to add a note that is on the opposite side of the spectrum, there are also people who I expected to be intolerable based on experiences in classes who have been absolutely amazing team players so far in clinics.

I have now finished Oncology and Anatomic Pathology and my next rotation is 2 weeks of our student surgery rotation. This week so far for appointments we have a multiple lipoma removal, a mammary tumor removal, an enucleation and an FHO. I think they try to get spay/neuters from shelters too so that every student on the rotation has surgeries to do on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
This week I did one dog spay, one dog neuter, one FHO and a cat neuter (lol they had us actually intubate the cats and stuff, I'm used to doing 50+ cat neuters per day at a feral cat clinic so even though it was an easy and smooth induction it took a lot longer than the actual neuter).

LOVE emergency. It's the only thing that has even vaguely tempted me away from shelter med (not gonna happen though).

LOVE emergency. It's the only thing that has even vaguely tempted me away from shelter med (not gonna happen though).

Want to come do my two emergency rotations for me? I'm pretty sure I'm going to be contemplating bad things by the time I'm done with 4 weeks of emergency (3 of which are overnights). :scared:

Want to come do my two emergency rotations for me? I'm pretty sure I'm going to be contemplating bad things by the time I'm done with 4 weeks of emergency (3 of which are overnights). :scared:

I will gladly do as many SA emergency rotations as you like if you will take my LA emergency rotation.

I am not a huge fan of overnights either. Mostly because now I can't fall asleep at a respectable time.

Ew, I feel your pain. SA Emergency was my least favorite rotation so far. I had the 12-10 pm shift, then the 3 pm - 2 am. Nights are definitely busier than daytime, so you'll probably see quite a bit. And I learned how to handle weird owners at 2 am haha. But I did feel like I didn't see the sun for 2 weeks. :(

Ew, I feel your pain. SA Emergency was my least favorite rotation so far. I had the 12-10 pm shift, then the 3 pm - 2 am. Nights are definitely busier than daytime, so you'll probably see quite a bit. And I learned how to handle weird owners at 2 am haha. But I did feel like I didn't see the sun for 2 weeks. :(

How often did you get stuck there later than your actual shift? I'm hearing a bunch of people say to bank on atleast an extra 1-2 hours. :(

I would say I got out on time maybe 3-4 times during the 2 weeks? Latest I was there was 4:30 am. Most of the times it was about 45 min-1 hr later. But the part that really sucks is if they make you come in to take care of your patient at 7 am even if you're on night shift. Luckily none of the interns I was on with made us do that. A lot of it also depends on how many people you have on with you--if it's just 2 of you there at night...not so good. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
5 rotations down, 12 to go! I am really going to miss my diagnostics rotation. On to Equine Surgery.

7 down for me, and 13 to go. I really enjoyed Ophthalmology and will miss it! On to Nutrition & Behavior for 2 weeks, then 2 much needed weeks of vacation!

I don't know if I would like having 2 week long rotations. I feel like it's too short. Do you like that length?

I like the 2 weeks because it lets you have more rotations. It works well here since the rotations are pretty specific (everything is split small animal / large animal, surgery is split into soft tissue and ortho, etc) but I can see if a school had more broad rotations that it would make sense for them to be longer.

I like 2 weeks as well - most of ours are 2 weeks at a time. I just finished week 1 of SA Medicine out of 4 this time and it's a thing.

I feel like the first week I'm kinda still getting used to things and then the second week is always much better. I have no idea if it'll be like that on Med or not.

Our electives are 2 weeks, cores are 3. I like being able to take more rotations, and so far it hasn't seemed like too little time.

7 down for me, and 13 to go. I really enjoyed Ophthalmology and will miss it! On to Nutrition & Behavior for 2 weeks, then 2 much needed weeks of vacation!

... I just figured out who you are!

That makes me a total creeper, I know.

... I just figured out who you are!

That makes me a total creeper, I know.

Hahaha well feel free to say hi anytime!

I like the 2 week blocks because it keeps things interesting and lets us take more rotations. However, I do kind of feel like it's usually time to switch again just as I'm starting feel comfortable with things. I wish I could have had more than 2 weeks on ophthalmology and shelter medicine, but on the other hand I was sooo thankful that SA emergency and exotics were only 2 weeks. Not sure I could have handled another week of either of those.

I think its really funny that even though we are in vet school we are still posting in the pre-vet forum. Why does no-one use the vet forums??

anywho... i'm looking for a thread on SDN devoted to vet students applying to path residencies this fall... anyone know where I can find that?

Probably way too specific for the vet section of SDN, unfortunately. If you're looking for input, WhtstheFrequency is around sometimes - pretty sure she just finished her path residency. I know she's contributed heavily to the path-focused threads over in the vet student forums, if you want to look her up.

After not missing any time during my first 8 months of clinics, I've missed the first half of my current rotation due to an intestinal disaster (most likely a parting gift from my highly infectious patient from last rotation). Going back to the doctor today and hoping they take me seriously that I can't stand and walk around without my heart rate skyrocketing and getting dizzy. I'm so frustrated... my GF got sick too (not as badly) which I feel horrible about, the rotation I'm missing right now (the puppy/kitten rotation!!) is super important, and I'm afraid to touch my bunnies for fear of making them sick.

Wah.

Anyone else gotten sick from a patient? How does your school handle the really zoonotic cases (salmonella, crypto, campy, etc)?

Our head clinician just told my rotation that we were the best rotation he has had since he has been here and as an award he is giving us all 95 on our end of rotation test regardless of what we really got

Our head clinician just told my rotation that we were the best rotation he has had since he has been here and as an award he is giving us all 95 on our end of rotation test regardless of what we really got

He's just happy that your rotation has colic repelling abilities and he didn't have to cut many things in the middle of the night :laugh:

He's just happy that your rotation has colic repelling abilities and he didn't have to cut many things in the middle of the night :laugh:

Please go knock on wood lol. We still have the weekend to get through.

Day 1 of Imaging complete. Phew.

I've only had equine up til now...the SAH is a scary place with lots of people running around!!....:scared:

Last night of being on call for equine surgery. I have enjoyed this rotation but I'm so glad it's over. Being on call 24/7 for three weeks is a tad excessive. I start my parasit externship tomorrow. I'm a little excited.

November 20th for me! I'm kinda freaking out!

December 11th for me! Not real sure when I'm going to study since I'll be practically living at school until Thanksgiving....

My new guilty pleasure as of late. Esp on days when I have a crappy day on clinics, or I'm super aggravated by that one suuuuper annoying b**** on my rotation, I like to wander around where underclassmen congregate and instantly feel so awesome that their lives suck soooo much worse than mine. That actually, my life is pretty good. I would not trade it for the world.

I have a question for all of y'all now in clinics:
How is your recall of all the masses of info that was presented to you during your classroom years in vet school? Like, do you remember everything, anything? How much is it expected that you will remember?

I'm asking because I'm started to get worried. I'm in my 2nd year and this year I'm studying like never before-which is to say, staying somewhat on top of the material instead of just cramming before a test. But it doesn't seem to be sticking any better than when I crammed. I'm just not quick with long term recall for previously learned material. I do well in my classes, but I'm worried that I won't remember anything come 4th year. I know it is dangerous to compare myself to my classmates, but some of them can answer every question an instructor asks, and ask ridiculously detailed, intricate questions during lectures. That is just not me and I'm worried that I'm falling behind in actual learning, even though my grades aren't reflecting a poor performance. Basically I'm asking if any of you have tricks to be a better learner, rather than just a "good" student? Or if it matters?

I have a question for all of y'all now in clinics:
How is your recall of all the masses of info that was presented to you during your classroom years in vet school? Like, do you remember everything, anything? How much is it expected that you will remember?

I'm asking because I'm started to get worried. I'm in my 2nd year and this year I'm studying like never before-which is to say, staying somewhat on top of the material instead of just cramming before a test. But it doesn't seem to be sticking any better than when I crammed. I'm just not quick with long term recall for previously learned material. I do well in my classes, but I'm worried that I won't remember anything come 4th year. I know it is dangerous to compare myself to my classmates, but some of them can answer every question an instructor asks, and ask ridiculously detailed, intricate questions during lectures. That is just not me and I'm worried that I'm falling behind in actual learning, even though my grades aren't reflecting a poor performance. Basically I'm asking if any of you have tricks to be a better learner, rather than just a "good" student? Or if it matters?

I mean...even when you are on clinics....you are still going to be studying. You end up pulling out a lot of old notes to look over again.

You will feel like an idiot in clinics when they ask you questions...and there will be a ton you don't know...but you go look it up and it's fine. You will also remember a lot more than you expected...

I mean...even when you are on clinics....you are still going to be studying. You end up pulling out a lot of old notes to look over again.

You will feel like an idiot in clinics when they ask you questions...and there will be a ton you don't know...but you go look it up and it's fine. You will also remember a lot more than you expected...

This! :thumbup:

Seconded. There will be a lot of random factoids that you remember for no good reason at all. And there will be a mass of information that you look back up to relearn, and you will remember it better for having seen it in real life. For the most part, they expect you to not remember things, but they do expect you to never not know the answer twice (ie. if you say you don't know, you sure better look it up and know the answer the next day).

Seconded. There will be a lot of random factoids that you remember for no good reason at all. And there will be a mass of information that you look back up to relearn, and you will remember it better for having seen it in real life. For the most part, they expect you to not remember things, but they do expect you to never not know the answer twice (ie. if you say you don't know, you sure better look it up and know the answer the next day).

Thanks for replying-I feel better knowing all of the above :)

My new guilty pleasure as of late. Esp on days when I have a crappy day on clinics, or I'm super aggravated by that one suuuuper annoying b**** on my rotation, I like to wander around where underclassmen congregate and instantly feel so awesome that their lives suck soooo much worse than mine. That actually, my life is pretty good. I would not trade it for the world.
You are a mean, mean person.

:p