All Branch Topic (ABT) Class of 2014 Military Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone in the Navy received a you have been civilian deferred notice?
In this match cycle, not ever, and also while trying to match mil.

But not you? That sucks.
I'm not milmed or even med, or that would suck. I'm applying to med school this next cycle. Right now, we're trying to find which civilian programs are even still interviewing. Because no one ever gets civilian deferment, she canceled all of her earlier interviews. Feels like the professional equivalent of being dropped out in the wilderness without a compass.

I also wish they would have let us know a little sooner about deferment. I had several civilian interviews lined up that I have now just canceled, which is all fine for me, but I'm sure some other person would have loved to have taken those spots a month ago....

I, too, wish they'd let us know the match results sooner. Not for my sake, of course, but for all the people who have to put up with me on a daily basis.

Reactions: 1 user
Man, I haven't been on SDN in years I think. That's just how anxious I am about matching! Two questions: does the AF release at midnight? Is that midnight Eastern time zone???

Bah! Just release already!

I'm not milmed or even med, or that would suck. I'm applying to med school this next cycle. Right now, we're trying to find which civilian programs are even still interviewing. Because no one ever gets civilian deferment, she canceled all of her earlier interviews. Feels like the professional equivalent of being dropped out in the wilderness without a compass.

If she cancelled interviews before hearing from the military, then why did she schedule any in the first place? Did she get some bad advice about her chances of matching to a military program?

If she cancelled interviews before hearing from the military, then why did she schedule any in the first place? Did she get some bad advice about her chances of matching to a military program?
She applied only because one of the faculty at her school encouraged her to. The odds of getting deferred were roughly 1%, and she had interviews leading up to the day after match. Rather than call those programs last minute, she did the courteous thing and cancelled several weeks out because she was very competitive. Unfortunately, because she was competitive, she was cherry-picked by whoever has the final say (not the PDs, apparently) and is having to fend for herself when a majority of civilian programs have already ended their interview process.

She applied only because one of the faculty at her school encouraged her to. The odds of getting deferred were roughly 1%, and she had interviews leading up to the day after match. Rather than call those programs last minute, she did the courteous thing and cancelled several weeks out because she was very competitive. Unfortunately, because she was competitive, she was cherry-picked by whoever has the final say (not the PDs, apparently) and is having to fend for herself when a majority of civilian programs have already ended their interview process.

No good deed and all that...

Unfortunately, it seems like there's at least one person to whom this happens every year. I've always encouraged applicants to hedge their bets regarding civilian deferment, no matter how unlikely it seems. The cost of applying and interviewing at civilian programs is considerable, but it's nothing as compared to the situation that your wife now faces. Better to match at the bottom of your civilian rank list than to go unmatched.

Good luck to both of you. I hope she's able to find a spot that properly reflects her competitiveness. If nothing else, you've both learned a valuable lesson vis-a-vis military life - to wit, nothing is guaranteed until it has already happened. Mistrust can be a powerful ally when it comes to dealing with the military.

Members don't see this ad :)
No good deed and all that...

Unfortunately, it seems like there's at least one person to whom this happens every year. I've always encouraged applicants to hedge their bets regarding civilian deferment, no matter how unlikely it seems. The cost of applying and interviewing at civilian programs is considerable, but it's nothing as compared to the situation that your wife now faces. Better to match at the bottom of your civilian rank list than to go unmatched.

Good luck to both of you. I hope she's able to find a spot that properly reflects her competitiveness. If nothing else, you've both learned a valuable lesson vis-a-vis military life - to wit, nothing is guaranteed until it has already happened. Mistrust can be a powerful ally when it comes to dealing with the military.
Thanks for the well wishes. I'll have to check later when we have this mess sorted out if this is on the list of reasons not to take the HPSP scholarship. If not, it should be added to the pile.

Who does make this decision? Last year this happened to several Navy medical students in the early fall (the theory being that they would still have time to get interviews) and no one seemed to know. Who decides who gets deferred?

The odds of getting deferred were roughly 1%
Whoever told you that was fabricating statistics. :( Hope it works out - if she's very competitive as you noted, I'm sure she'll still match well.

Who does make this decision? Last year this happened to several Navy medical students in the early fall (the theory being that they would still have time to get interviews) and no one seemed to know. Who decides who gets deferred?

I've never heard, and have no reason to believe, that any person or group other than the GMESB at its scheduled meeting allocates deferrals.

What exactly happened to those students in the early fall? Did you hear this through the grapevine or know them personally? Doesn't sound right.

pgg said:
I've never heard, and have no reason to believe, that any person or group other than the GMESB at its scheduled meeting allocates deferrals.

What exactly happened to those students in the early fall? Did you hear this through the grapevine or know them personally? Doesn't sound right.

It happened before the GMESB met, last year in the early fall (September, I think?). We found out when one of the medical students on the Ward casually glanced at her phone during rounds and saw a terse email that she would not be matching in the military this year. Our PD definitely did not know it was coming since we needed to tell her about it. I never found out who made the decision as to what applicants get deferred, since our PD wasn't involved.

Navy is at 12:01 ET on Wednesday morning, per an email from LCDR Griffith, the Head of Student Programs for NAVMED Accessions.

Last edited:
I'm also AF and wondering what time ours will be released. I haven't seen anything listing an exact time for us.

Time has now literally stopped.

Ummm. Will Navy results bee under the announcement tab?

Good luck to the 4th years matching in a few hours. I remember what it was like last year. I watched It's Always Sunny episodes to pass the time. I logged in a few minutes before midnight because I knew the network would be slowed by everyone getting on at the same time. Seeing where I matched was a surprise since it wasn't a place I rotated at. But looking back on it, I am really glad I ended up where I am. I really fit in well and love being here. So if you don't end up at your number 1/2/3/etc, it's ok. Things always happen for a reason.

There are two things to enjoy about tonight: 1) you find out where you match and 2) you find out 2-3 months before all your classmates so they will be freaking out while you are just trying to do the bare minimum to graduate.

Where exactly on MODS do we view our match results? The website is as clear as mud.

Good luck to the 4th years matching in a few hours. I remember what it was like last year. I watched It's Always Sunny episodes to pass the time. I logged in a few minutes before midnight because I knew the network would be slowed by everyone getting on at the same time. Seeing where I matched was a surprise since it wasn't a place I rotated at. But looking back on it, I am really glad I ended up where I am. I really fit in well and love being here. So if you don't end up at your number 1/2/3/etc, it's ok. Things always happen for a reason.

There are two things to enjoy about tonight: 1) you find out where you match and 2) you find out 2-3 months before all your classmates so they will be freaking out while you are just trying to do the bare minimum to graduate.
well thats not what i want to hear on a night like this:laugh:

cant really explain it any more clear than the email they sent out...its under the records tab

Unfortunately there was no clear instruction about the "Records" tab in the Navy email we received. The Navy version of MODS also doesn't even HAVE a records tab.

Unfortunately there was no clear instruction about the "Records" tab in the Navy email we received. The Navy version of MODS also doesn't even HAVE a records tab.
WHY didnt you SAY navy in your FIRST POST before getting your undies in a BUNDLE with your response?

Chill out, dude. I didn't mean for it to be taken that way. Good luck in the match.

WHY didnt you SAY navy in your FIRST POST before getting your undies in a BUNDLE with your response?

Um, wow... YOU'RE the one with his "undies in a bundle"... Good grief. The caps were for emphasis and were well placed. Your original response to the question was so insulting that it pissed ME off, and I have no dog in this fight... Clearly you're a little wound up, but let's use some manners, why don't we?

Um, wow... YOU'RE the one with his "undies in a bundle"... Good grief. The caps were for emphasis and were well placed. Your original response to the question was so insulting that it pissed ME off, and I have no dog in this fight... Clearly you're a little wound up, but let's use some manners, why don't we?
:laugh:

read KRwhite on bottom. I kind of liked the old way with the list with everyone...

Last edited:
For NAVY folks: Log in --> Status --> Board Status Summary

Reactions: 2 users
:p

Last edited:
Matched at my top choice, Portsmouth general surgery!! I'm feeling such a unique blend of emotions right now.

Reactions: 1 users
I, too, wish they'd let us know the match results sooner. Not for my sake, of course, but for all the people who have to put up with me on a daily basis.
Like your HPSP advisor??? Who hasn't heard from you??? Congrats by the way!!!

AF here. Any word on a time we will know? Also, I'm just expecting an email to the email address we provided on the afit website. Am I correct in this assumption?

Working in the ED today, and I pray that my attending will just say "Get out of here" when I let him know I JUST matched.