All Branch Topic (ABT) Class of 2014 Military Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was speaking specifically my program, Army side. All of the Navy guys went to GMO land first.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Army anesthesiology, actually. My name is just a reference to the fact that I like to mess with people's heads (old handle I've had on multiple forums since highschool).

MESSING WITH PEOPLE'S HEADS? IT WORKED!!!111!!!111one!!111juanjuan1!!11*

*does not count if pharmacologically induced

I don't plan to do such but I've had a few non military people ask me a hypothetical and I'm curious--

For those given TY deferment, what if they went ahead with the civilian match and matched into a program of their desired specialty? How would the military handle that situation?

I don't plan to do such but I've had a few non military people ask me a hypothetical and I'm curious--

For those given TY deferment, what if they went ahead with the civilian match and matched into a program of their desired specialty? How would the military handle that situation?

They wouldn't care. They would give you an assignment, orders, and a report date sometime in July or August after internship. If you don't show up, then you're AWOL. Worse case scenario? They find you and throw you in jail. More likely is they threaten to do that and you show up, tail between legs, and go to the top of everyone's sh*! list.

This would not be a smart plan at all ... not at all.

Some people have done that in the past. The AF will allow you to complete the PGY-1. Afterward, you must resign your residency and come on active duty to work as a GMO or flight surgeon.

As an aside, If you have pretty good scores and aren't a jerk, how likely is it that you will NOT match into the specialty of your choosing?

As an aside, If you have pretty good scores and aren't a jerk, how likely is it that you will NOT match into the specialty of your choosing?

It's all a "point" system in the military. Grades and board scores are only approx 25% of your total "points." So, while good scores are certainly helpful, they don't determine your fate the way they do for civilian. It's a double-edged sword, really. Great students with no operational experience will lose spots to mediocre students with a GMO tour and deployment. On the flip side, that mediocre student who worked hard as a GMO now has a decent shot at a competitive specialty.

It's all a "point" system in the military. Grades and board scores are only approx 25% of your total "points." So, while good scores are certainly helpful, they don't determine your fate the way they do for civilian. It's a double-edged sword, really. Great students with no operational experience will lose spots to mediocre students with a GMO tour and deployment. On the flip side, that mediocre student who worked hard as a GMO now has a decent shot at a competitive specialty.

Agreed. I'll add that it depends on what pool of applicants you're in. I think the Army still informally "reserves" some continuous contract spots for medical students, so they aren't necessarily competing against interns, GMOs, or those looking to do second residencies. I'm not sure if the Navy or Air Force does this.

Agreed. I'll add that it depends on what pool of applicants you're in. I think the Army still informally "reserves" some continuous contract spots for medical students, so they aren't necessarily competing against interns, GMOs, or those looking to do second residencies. I'm not sure if the Navy or Air Force does this.

That's actually part of the point I was making earlier. In some specialties in the Army (like anesthesiology), nearly all spots are reserved for continuous contracts given to med students, with only a few open to interns or GMOs (I was being serious when I said that we had one GMO per class of 6 or 7 residents, with the others all matching as med students). This actually puts the non med students at a bit of a disadvantage, as most of those extra points they earned for internship and their GMO tour are worthless, as their competition for those few spots earned the same points.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I could read between the lines of your post because my specialty does the same thing, but I don't know how universal it is, even among other Army fields. And, of course, they're under no obligation to keep doing it. FYGME applicants need to find out what the recent history of their specialty's match is, and then realize that the trend could change any year without warning. It's just part of the game.

anywhere I can find the 2014 match results (for a 3rd year student)? I already tried googling it.

Sometimes DOs get good grades and passing test scores too. The military match doesn't penalize DOs for being DOs the way many programs in the civilian allopathic match do.

Sorry to hear you didn't get your first choice.

I'm an ALT for fellowship again. Not unexpected - I already knew there were zero projected FTOS positions for my desired specialty.
On this note, maybe somebody here could tell me. As a DO student, how helpful or necessary is it to take USMLE as well as COMLEX? I know what I've been told "officially" by recruiters and whatnot, that it isn't necessary to take allopathic boards on top of my osteopathic boards. Does that hold true if I'm going for gen surg, urology, gas, or another specialty like that. How much would USMLE help me?

On this note, maybe somebody here could tell me. As a DO student, how helpful or necessary is it to take USMLE as well as COMLEX? I know what I've been told "officially" by recruiters and whatnot, that it isn't necessary to take allopathic boards on top of my osteopathic boards. Does that hold true if I'm going for gen surg, urology, gas, or another specialty like that. How much would USMLE help me?

Just COMLEX is fine for anesthesiology.

What I learned about this Match for Navy Internal Medicine

The Numbers Rough Calculations based on past data

Size of Navy Medical Students
Class of 2014 = About 329
Class of 2013 = About 293
Class of 2012 = About 294
Class of 2011 = About 277
Class of 2010 = About 243

% Straight Thru IM
Bethesda = About 35%
San Diego = About 46%
Portsmouth = About 35%

The approximate straight thru % seems to have been better in 2011 over 2012 match. And 2012 better than this match.

*Disclaimer: The numbers I used can be completely flawed as I don't have all data, just overlapped match lists from previous years. The overlapping process I used can also be flawed. So I can be totally wrong.

Does increasing number of medical student pool correlate with decreased number of straight thru probabilities as interns will
now be competing with more GMO and FS status applicants who are much better qualified then any other intern?

Do any AF HPSP students who don't match into a residency program match into a military PGY-1 spot or are all deferred to a civilian PGY-1 year?

There are some military PGY-1 spots that you could match into. However, for the Air Force, most will be on their own to find an internship. How about that? They $hit on your dreams of going to residency and then kick you while you're down by making you find your own internship that you may not have wanted in the first place.

There are some military PGY-1 spots that you could match into. However, for the Air Force, most will be on their own to find an internship. How about that? They $hit on your dreams of going to residency and then kick you while you're down by making you find your own internship that you may not have wanted in the first place.

It is a pretty terrible feeling.

Say one goes through this again next year and doesn't match into their specialty of choice (like EM) due to the insane back up of GMOs caused by this mess? Is it possible to say on your application that you would like to do flight surgery if not chosen for residency? (And not have to do another intern year and be spinning your wheels)

Or is that assumed?

All depends on the branch and specialty. If i had known what I know now I wouldn't even have applied what I did. oh well, will hang out for awhile and figure out what I want to do.

All depends on the branch and specialty. If i had known what I know now I wouldn't even have applied what I did. oh well, will hang out for awhile and figure out what I want to do.

Will add timing, i.e. luck, to the mix. Some years there just aren't that many applicants, so decent scores and personality are enough. Other years, even strong candidates end up in GMO land. It's what even mild variance will do to a small enough sample size.

Sorry. I had meant to say "not matching into your specialty choice after doing A GMO"

Does anyone have a happy story... It sounds like there were a lot of horror stories this cycle.

Does anyone have a happy story... It sounds like there were a lot of horror stories this cycle.

Yep, at a prior board many moons ago got my residency of choice when I wanted it and now got my fellowship of choice when I wanted it.

Things do work out for some/many but most of those don't care enough to post their story

No prior service here. Good board scores and grades. Matched at my top choice in urology and this year was a really competitive year. Continuous contract. Wife is a civilian medical student applying this year as well with many options in the area. Things are looking really happy on my end. Keep your heads up guys. It's tough and requires some luck, but it can work out.

My consultant told me that I had enough points to match into my residency, but due to the new changes it was given to someone else. So, the Army has enough money to send me halfway across the world to a warzone, but not enough to PCS me stateside for something I worked incredibly hard to earn. Roger. Tracking. Hooah.

No prior service here. Good board scores and grades. Matched at my top choice in urology and this year was a really competitive year. Continuous contract. Wife is a civilian medical student applying this year as well with many options in the area. Things are looking really happy on my end. Keep your heads up guys. It's tough and requires some luck, but it can work out.

I also wanted to brighten up the board. Matched into a Navy ENT program with no prior service from a civilian med school. Very excited as it was an especially competitive year.

There are many other people who are happy with how things worked out but they don't spend much time writing on these boards. Much like the evening news, these boards seem to focus on the horror stories.

Ive heard many happy stories from friends and classmates...just a few really upset folks.

In reality, most people do match. When I was in medical school, 25% of 4th year medical students did not match. So yes, the majority will be happy, but having a match rate that's so much worse than the civilian side---especially when recruiters spin stories of guaranteed matching---leaves for some really upset folks.

Congratulations on your match.

A fellow USN FS of mine did not selected this year (for ENT), a competitive one as you've stated, despite good scores and 4 years in the fleet. It's not all bright and rosy for returning GMOs so you can understand some of the frustration on the part of those that are trying to get back into the GME system.

ENT is insanely competitive. So much so that life in GMO land is not a guarantee of a match...

In reality, most people do match. When I was in medical school, 25% of 4th year medical students did not match. So yes, the majority will be happy, but having a match rate that's so much worse than the civilian side---especially when recruiters spin stories of guaranteed matching---leaves for some really upset folks.
Understood..they just asked for people as happy outcome.
Most of the unmatched i know would have been very competitive in the civilian match.

For the ent intern, was that a continuous contract or will you have to apply back for residency after GMO?

If you are referring to me, I will likely do a GMO tour after intern year then reply for PGY-2.

I also wanted to brighten up the board. Matched into a Navy ENT program with no prior service from a civilian med school. Very excited as it was an especially competitive year.

There are many other people who are happy with how things worked out but they don't spend much time writing on these boards. Much like the evening news, these boards seem to focus on the horror stories.

Congrats! You got 1 of 5 GME1 Slots. 2nd most competitive after Neurosurg with 1 mil slot!

So, not to rain on your parade but that's not the same as matching into Pgy2 ENT. You need to view internship as one long away rotation.

Also, it looks to me like there are more ENT intern slots than ENT PGY-2 slots. And while you should have an advantage over non-ENT surgical interns, they will also compete for ENT slots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I heard intern orientation can be a few weeks long for military. Anyone have any info on this? Specifically surgical interns at NCC?

Expect a report date in mid June. Someone closer to it can probably tell you the exact date from this past summer. Typically, all interns have the same report date for a given MTF because so many orientation activities are universal and run by the GME office.

Last edited:
I reported June 7th which was the latest report day for all the MTFs. I think Tripler and Madigan reported June 3rd.

Just to bring some positive, I matched my #1 and could not be happier! :)

What branch/specialty?

Congrats!

Been lurking a while, guess I'd better come into the light. MS1 - Navy HPSP

Congrats to all of you who had desirable outcomes. To those of you that didn't - after the anger subsides try to bloom where you're planted.

/endtriteadvice

Does anyone have any experience with the rebuttal board? A previous comment informed us that the Army didn't fill all the spots in IM, FM, Path, and Psych. In general, do all of those unfilled spots get claimed? I'm thinking about Radiology for next year's match, but I think I could be satisfied being a Pathologist or Psychiatrist. If I don't match in Rads, are my chances pretty good at securing a spot in the unfilled specialties?

Does anyone have any experience with the rebuttal board? A previous comment informed us that the Army didn't fill all the spots in IM, FM, Path, and Psych. In general, do all of those unfilled spots get claimed? I'm thinking about Radiology for next year's match, but I think I could be satisfied being a Pathologist or Psychiatrist. If I don't match in Rads, are my chances pretty good at securing a spot in the unfilled specialties?

Army only:
If you don't match rads and want to scramble into path or psych, more than likely you will be able to, because path and psych have not filled for the past several years.

A couple anecdodes: There were at least two unmatched TYs from this year who reapplied and matched psych, so that is an option as well if you want more time to decide if psych is right for you. I also know of at least two people who matched rads straight out of TY year, but they both were strong candidates who originally did not match into ortho and derm as MS4s. I don't know of any people who originally did not match rads as medical students but reapplied and matched as TYs.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any info on how the AF Peds match went this year? Im an AF HPSP MS-1 interested in Peds and I heard the competitiveness of this field varies greatly from year to year. Thanks!

Does anyone have any info in general on how difficult it is to match straight through in AF Peds? I know it changes year to year but I I am just curious how many get sent to GMO land when trying for Peds. Thanks