Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why is it always the nicest pets with the super kind owners that end up having the worst diseases? :(
Tell me about it. I am running a hemangiosarcoma special right now...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone on here applying for equine private practice internships? I've unfortunately been turned down from both my top choices and am scrambling at the moment to find other places to apply to.
Somewhat disheartening, but I've got NAVLE on Thursday to cheer me up!

NAVLE could have been worse! There is definitely one particular section that I hope was the unscored one, but I'm just happy to be done.

Reactions: 10 users
NAVLE could have been worse! There is definitely one particular section that I hope was the unscored one, but I'm just happy to be done.
yeah, there was my year, too. No idea if it was or not. But you're done! And I know it's difficult to put it out of your mind, but seriously go relax and enjoy yourself

YAY! So happy for you! Also happy that I'll be in your shoes in 9 days :p

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just took one of the NBVME self-assessment exams. Hopefully it is pretty accurate. 12 more days to go.

And I may or may not have literally sutured a dress seam/zipper so I can wear a dress to SCAVMA Auction tonight. It doesn't look horrible but it's not my best work either. Also don't know if this is a new high or new low.

My friend said to take a few of them if possible and then you can look up things you got wrong. She felt it was 100% worth the money.

At $50 a piece, I can't really afford even one of them. But I will probably take one just for the peace of mind.

We also took the Qualifying Exam second semester of third year and that is said to also be a fairly decent indicator of how you will do on the NAVLE and I did decently on that. However, exam panic has settled in, so I think one of the self-assessments will be worth it to maybe settle the nerves a bit. I am not spending more than $50 to repeatedly take exams, especially since NAVLE is now 9 days away for me.

At $50 a piece, I can't really afford even one of them. But I will probably take one just for the peace of mind.

We also took the Qualifying Exam second semester of third year and that is said to also be a fairly decent indicator of how you will do on the NAVLE and I did decently on that. However, exam panic has settled in, so I think one of the self-assessments will be worth it to maybe settle the nerves a bit. I am not spending more than $50 to repeatedly take exams, especially since NAVLE is now 9 days away for me.

Don't they offer like a free sample one that's not the 'full' exam? I did that just to get a feel for their format. But then I did VetPrep tests that I set to the same length/time as NAVLE to get myself in the right 'time' groove. The VetPrep questions aren't a great representation of the NAVLE questions, but I felt like it worked ok without having to spend $50 to take practice exams.

Don't they offer like a free sample one that's not the 'full' exam? I did that just to get a feel for their format. But then I did VetPrep tests that I set to the same length/time as NAVLE to get myself in the right 'time' groove. The VetPrep questions aren't a great representation of the NAVLE questions, but I felt like it worked ok without having to spend $50 to take practice exams.

Yeah, they have 40 questions or there about online for free... I did those quite some time ago, can't recall how I did. I guess I could look at them again. I also feel the QE may be a bit more like NAVLE format/questioning since they are both created by NBVME.

I have been doing vetprep tests for a while now with the same time frame. The thing is, I have never had issues with time when taking exams. I either know the answer, click and move on. Or I don't know right off, try to narrow down, then pick. Or really, really have no effing clue and I don't spend a bunch of time hemming and hawing. I tend to finish the 65 minute sections with well over 20 minutes remaining. I have always been that way for timed exams.

My issue is really wanting to get a better representation of the NAVLE questions. I have heard both ways, that vetprep is fairly close and that those questions aren't close at all. So I don't really know what to believe. :shrug:

I felt like my Zuku questions were fairly accurate for like... 70-80% of the questions. The others were a bit different but I felt OK prepared for them. I didn't buy the tests because I was cramming and it wasn't going to make any difference, although I did go through the free ones online.

Just took a self-assessment...I really hope those scores are predictive. Cuz I will then pass! YAY! T-5 days (4ish now)...holy crap.

Just went through the free practice questions on the NBVME website, based on that, I should pass (I think, based on what I have heard for average percentages for passing).

Just went through the free practice questions on the NBVME website, based on that, I should pass (I think, based on what I have heard for average percentages for passing).

Just keep telling yourself "If LIS can pass, I can pass. If LIS can pass, I can pass."

Reactions: 3 users
Three days. I can do this...right?

Performed my first non-spay neuter surgery last week. Did a cystotomy and removed this stone from a 30 pound dog. I was on an awesome offsite elective and the owner couldn't afford surgery, so the vet said they may be in luck and have a soon to be veterinarian that would like to do this surgery. I was like me???? Um YES! So, they wrote it off as a learning opportunity for me and gave them the surgery at cost of medications and tech monitoring time. The doctor scrubbed in with me and walked me through, but I did the entire surgery myself. It was AWESOME! I love surgery.

During my 2 week rotation I did 13 surgeries- 3 dog spays, 2 dog neuters, 2 cat spays, 4 cat neuters, a dog cystotomy, and a dog upper 4th premolar extraction. That's pretty awesome when you consider that I also saw at least 3 appointments each day!

So, I've done a total of 44 surgeries so far since I got 31 spay/neuters on shelter rotation. Spaying cats is my favorite thing about veterinary medicine. I'm getting better at dog spays now too (my time is down to right around an hour) and enjoying those as well. As long as I have a surgery day to look forward to, I'm gonna be really happy in general practice :).

Now everyone can continue their NAVLE panic. I did a practice one and it says I'm gonna pass so I'm not too worried. I like that there's the April testing window, that helps me just relax and do my best. If I don't pass, I can retake it, no big deal, I'll stress then if needed.

Attachments

• bladder stone 1.jpg
    bladder stone 1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: 6 users
Did a 2nd practice assessment...similar scores, so I'm at least somewhat consistent and should pass based on this. Managed to rock the Equine portion somehow...Can't wait to get this over with in 12 hours.

Internship applications submitted! For all of my fellow match-hopefuls...May the odds be ever in our favor!

Internship applications submitted! For all of my fellow match-hopefuls...May the odds be ever in our favor!

I had a brief moment of panic where I thought I was going to end up short a LOR but ended up being okay. Just doing some last minute editing to my letter of intent and review my list of where I want to apply.

Guys. I have a phone interview for a job in the perfect location! :heckyeah::barf:

Reactions: 8 users
Looking over the last version I have saved of my resume.... It needs a lot of work. Add in some things, maybe take some things away and definitely a thorough re-organization. Then I should probably send it out to some place and start attempting to find a job.

Phone interview in one hour! The nerves are intense.:nailbiting:

Just finished getting my references together this morning. I went into school to ask one of my favorite clinicians for a reference. When walking down the hallway, I saw the emergency attending clinician, and he gave me the stinkeye and said "PSILT, shouldn't you be sleeping right now?" (I'm on ER nights)
I CAN'T SLEEP.o_O

Good thing I followed up on a potential interview. Apparently I was assigned a date but never actually received confirmation that it was occurring so I would have never shown up.

Last edited:
Interviews this week!! :scared::scared:

Super nervous because I feel like I haven't actually interviewed for anything actually important in a while. And I've felt kind of off the last few days so I hope I'm not getting sick. Downing some Emergen-C as we speak.

I had a phone interview last week for an internship - going for an in-person in 2 weeks. Cue panic attack.

I also feel like I haven't interviewed for anything important in years...because I haven't!

And then I get to continue to twiddle my thumbs until NAVLE results and match results and try not to eat my own leg because it feels like I'm stuck in a trap.

Reactions: 1 users