Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats you guys!!!

Members don't see this ad.

So class of 2016.... we are almost there! :D :D

Thoughts? Feelings? Confessions?
My job offer that I accepted had to be given to someone else. The practice owner just found out she was diagnosed with cancer and the only DVM at the practice mother recently passed away. So they had to give the position to someone who could start working right away.

I've been looking for the past two weeks. Someone tried to hire me last weekend for <50k. I can't make that work. I have another interview in 1.5 weeks that I hope works out because the practice seems like a perfect fit. I'm also starting to expand my search to a broader area.

Ughh...

Members don't see this ad :)
My job offer that I accepted had to be given to someone else. The practice owner just found out she was diagnosed with cancer and the only DVM at the practice mother recently passed away. So they had to give the position to someone who could start working right away.

I've been looking for the past two weeks. Someone tried to hire me last weekend for <50k. I can't make that work. I have another interview in 1.5 weeks that I hope works out because the practice seems like a perfect fit. I'm also starting to expand my search to a broader area.

Ughh...

That all sucks. Good luck with your interview! I hope you get the job! :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
Currently talking to 3 different clinics about employment. My dream job is still in Minnesota, but since I've not gotten a confirmation that I'm hired, I'm still pursuing other options. And I'm not taking less than 68k. I'm worth it. And so are all of you.

I'll be totally honest that I haven't started looking hardcore yet. Threw my resume to one place I really liked the sound of, but they weren't willing to take on a new grad. Not in a super huge rush because I have my SO with a good salary to lean on, but also don't want to miss out on clinics willing to take new grads (so I guess I really should get on it).

I have another interview next month. Really like this clinic so we'll see how that goes.

For now, tackling some weirdness with them saying I can't graduate because I don't have all the first year requirements complete. I'm not too worried about it probably just some oversight. Still frustrating.

Chiming in (very late) to say that I did in fact match to my top choice. WOOHOOOOOO! One of my classmates is going to be my internmate as well, which is lovely because we're friends and I think we'll work well together. Buddy system y'all.

Reactions: 3 users
I just wanted to say that I was probably the most unhappy that I'd been as a fourth year (aside from maybe the first month) at this time during my rotations. I was just so. over. it. Plus, I was doing all my LA rotations at the end, and as someone who never plans to touch a horse or cow again, it felt a bit like wasted time as well, since NAVLE was over and I just had to know enough to get through and then put it behind me. It's probably an easy mindset to fall into at this point. So if anyone else is feeling like that, hang in there and take it one day at a time. It will pass, and graduation will come before you know it.

I just wanted to say that I was probably the most unhappy that I'd been as a fourth year (aside from maybe the first month) at this time during my rotations. I was just so. over. it. Plus, I was doing all my LA rotations at the end, and as someone who never plans to touch a horse or cow again, it felt a bit like wasted time as well, since NAVLE was over and I just had to know enough to get through and then put it behind me. It's probably an easy mindset to fall into at this point. So if anyone else is feeling like that, hang in there and take it one day at a time. It will pass, and graduation will come before you know it.

I have days like this especially now that the weather is getting nice again. Sometimes I'm really enjoying things, but I'm honestly just kind of tired. I haven't had a week off since the last week of December and I spent most of it traveling for interviews for internships. Sometimes I think I made the wrong choice about applying for an internship due to the burn out side of it, but I really think it's what I need in the long run since I still haven't 100% rule out a residency. At least I think I'll be fitting in a lot of relaxation around graduation. Probably a beach week prior to it, then Hilton Head after and then possible Florida.

I'm right now just stressing over the debate of living with a roommate to save $$$$, but also wanting to live by myself or with non-vet people.

I've been perfectly happy until this necropsy rotation. After I just spent my third day - on a saturday morning - digging through a stupid horse with stupid small intestine problems I am so very freaking over it. The hours aren't worth it. I would seriously rather do another five weeks of medicine than spend another week on the autopsy floor.

I'm so happy there are other people that enjoy this as a career because I'd just shoot myself.

Yup, I'm here. But I think it is because I have 2 more rotations left. The end is so close and it is making time drag on a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now realizing how much I love shelter med... I am in love with my current externship, even if I have to commute into DC every morning.

Shelter med is great. I really love it, but I don't want to start out in it.
Same. I've been asked a couple times if I want to do high volume spay neuter because I've gotten a good bit of experience in it... and I'd love to do some shifts for extra money and to keep up the skill, but I can't even imagine how much I'd forget if I just started doing that right out the gate after vet school.

Ugh. Found an ocean front house near my internship next year. 2BR/1BA w/ deck and garage for $1100 a month. Allows pets. Just need a roomie cause the $1100 is a little out of my own price range.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Alright, the time has come: how do I study for boards? I have a very cushy last two months of school and I bought VetPrep to use the Power Lectures for my LA block exams so I wanted to kind of get a move on or at least get my feet wet. So, what was everyone's method for studying for boards? Do I do practice questions and then read a chapter out of a book when I don't know something? I'm sure there's going to be a few topics I've never heard of in my life and, coming from a PBL-centric school, I'm very much trained to go and read a book when I don't know something but I'm worried about wasting a ton of time.

I basically just did VetPrep and didn't start until August and then really buckled down in October or so. My bf got Zuku, so we shared the power page type things with each other. I also did a course on VIN by the Zuku people which gave me some additional resources and a top 20 disease for each species. I would go through those and just write up my own quick summary sheets on diseases that I wasn't as comfortable with.

I honestly probably didn't study nearly as much as most and only hit like 57% of VetPrep and passed with room to spare. I didn't read from a text book unless I was trying to clarify something in my notes ( i wasn't always the best note taker...)

Alright, the time has come: how do I study for boards? I have a very cushy last two months of school and I bought VetPrep to use the Power Lectures for my LA block exams so I wanted to kind of get a move on or at least get my feet wet. So, what was everyone's method for studying for boards? Do I do practice questions and then read a chapter out of a book when I don't know something? I'm sure there's going to be a few topics I've never heard of in my life and, coming from a PBL-centric school, I'm very much trained to go and read a book when I don't know something but I'm worried about wasting a ton of time.

There are SO many approaches and the pass rate is so high that I don't think there's really a right answer for this. It depends on how you learn/succeed on tests.

For me , it was working through Zuku (no, there's not much difference between Zuku/VetPrep since that gets asked every year). I didn't start until late summer/early fall and made it all the way through Zuku. While I initially wanted to go look up/read up on every single thing I got wrong, it became a little too time consuming. Also, I think it's important to study the way most questions are - case-based. So don't just read a chapter about whatever disease, look up cases/case-studies/make them up and share with friends so your brain thinks that way instead of regurgitating facts. (Although there is a bit of that, too.)

I did VetPrep and did get through all of it just by doing a little each night. I started, er, whenever @that redhead and I had radiology together. August? I dunno. Someone on our rotation had the Zuku flash cards which were helpful for group study. Honestly, the thing I found was most useful was topic rounds and review sessions with the professors. One of our professors basically condensed 3 years of cow medicine into 2 hours. Someone else did the same thing for poultry. Most days on rotation, we'd have rounds. So one day we'd do diabetes mellitus, one day we'd do liver diseae, etc. That was probably the most beneficial thing I found for NAVLE studying.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for all the advice, guys! It sounds like everyone is really just going through the material in Zuku/VetPrep and nothing extra. That actually makes me super nervous. I'm a chronic over-preparer. I'm going to be buying Zuku in May and then doing the NBVME practice tests and those VIN sessions, so hopefully I'll have my bases covered.

Thanks for all the advice, guys! It sounds like everyone is really just going through the material in Zuku/VetPrep and nothing extra. That actually makes me super nervous. I'm a chronic over-preparer. I'm going to be buying Zuku in May and then doing the NBVME practice tests and those VIN sessions, so hopefully I'll have my bases covered.

Oh! Definitely recommend the NBVME practice tests. I did two of them and they projected my score pretty accurately.

Having some serious senioritis today -- it's 83 F out, sunny and I just don't want to doctor today. I want to be at the beach, drinking beer (or just outside with beer). Doesn't help that my day started off rough and with me in a bad mood so I've just been meh all day.

I took the NAVLE in November..... I only studied with vetprep & tbh I did not study as hardcore as I should have. Through about 2 months of my study period I had pneumonia and the rest I just had trouble focusing. I got through about 50% of VetPrep in the end. And I took one practice test through NVBME the week prior which told me I would fail.

I went into the NAVLE believing I had no chance in passing. I left the NAVLE feeling like crap, worst exam I have ever taken, felt for sure I had failed. I was completely shocked when I found out I passed. Like I took a screenshot in case they took it back, shocked.

I have no idea how that happened. I do not recommend my study methods, but my word of advice is, if it feels like everything is against you during your study period - you get really ill, you just can't concentrate, you have crazy rotations - still take it anyway - it could work out & you could pass.

Made a medical error today. Could have killed a patient. We caught it in time, but it still sucks. I feel awful. And I'm going to be a dr in 2 months :( :( :(

Made a medical error today. Could have killed a patient. We caught it in time, but it still sucks. I feel awful. And I'm going to be a dr in 2 months :( :( :(
Mistakes just make you more aware you need to double check things. I still make errors from time to time (and catch them) and I've been out for nearly 5 years. Time to stop being so hard on yourself for being human

Reactions: 7 users

Meh. You caught it. You'll make more mistakes, and you won't catch them all. It's part of being human. Implement good protocols to minimize it. Own up to them when they get past your protocols. Learn from the mistakes. And then don't beat yourself up.

The mistakes you make that horrify you are the mistakes that etch deep lessons in your soul you'll never forget, that you'll likely never commit again.

It was caught and the patient is okay, so you're good. These things will happen.

What differentiates a good doctor from a bad one is how you deal with the aftermath of mistakes. How you right your wrong and minimize them in the future. All excellent doctors make occasional mistakes (the ones who think they don't are likely ones who aren't good enough to realize or admit it)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I've got myself into a huge mess and could use some advice:

I've been interviewing for jobs. Got a good offer today from a practice that is likely not a good fit- no digital rads (important to me), no real treatment area (don't even know how to explain this one), no dental rads (standard to care for me). However, this practice is close enough to my SO and we would be able to live together finally, as we have been in a long distance relationship for 5 years now. We were really looking forward to living together after graduation. I interviewed at a separate practice last week that I have yet to hear back from- was told they would get back to be by the end of the week. This practice seems to be a perfect fit and is very close to my SO. It would be a dream come true if they made me an offer.

My current externship offered me a job that is almost too good to refuse- 10k more than what I asked for (I asked for average in the area) plus production and full benefits. The only catch is that is 100 miles away from my SO. The hours are long, so I don't know how often we would be able to see each other. It is literally breaking our hearts that we may have to spend another year away from each other as he finishes up med school. I have the contract in my hand and they are just waiting for me to sign it- I did not accept yet as I am still waiting to hear from the other place closer to him. They want an answer by Monday.

If you were in my situation, what would you do?

I've been interviewing for jobs. Got a good offer today from a practice that is likely not a good fit- no digital rads (important to me), no real treatment area (don't even know how to explain this one), no dental rads (standard to care for me). However, this practice is close enough to my SO and we would be able to live together finally, as we have been in a long distance relationship for 5 years now. We were really looking forward to living together after graduation. I interviewed at a separate practice last week that I have yet to hear back from- was told they would get back to be by the end of the week. This practice seems to be a perfect fit and is very close to my SO. It would be a dream come true if they made me an offer.

My current externship offered me a job that is almost too good to refuse- 10k more than what I asked for (I asked for average in the area) plus production and full benefits. The only catch is that is 100 miles away from my SO. The hours are long, so I don't know how often we would be able to see each other. It is literally breaking our hearts that we may have to spend another year away from each other as he finishes up med school. I have the contract in my hand and they are just waiting for me to sign it- I did not accept yet as I am still waiting to hear from the other place closer to him. They want an answer by Monday.

I'd probably hold off until the latest time possible to sign the other contract and then if you hear back from the other place, great! . My main concern if you take the job that doesn't seem to be a good fit is how your potential unhappiness there may affect your relationship. Yeah it'll be great to be living with the SO, but I also imagine dissatisfaction with your job will impact your relationship somehow, whether it's through rants or whatever. But I'm also sort of greedy and focused on myself when it comes to my career right now.

Not sure if that helps at all...

Remember it's only March. There's still time. I am so glad I waited for the right fit to come along (turned down other offers and didn't end up interviewing at my current position until after graduation). Stressful, but so worth the wait. Things will work out!

Probably not your target audience, but: can you not take the offer you have in hand from your externship and use it to negotiate some of the things you want for the other offer?

Remember it's only March. There's still time. I am so glad I waited for the right fit to come along (turned down other offers and didn't end up interviewing at my current position until after graduation). Stressful, but so worth the wait. Things will work out!
I don't know why I have this overwhelming urge to have a job before graduation. I think it would be best to wait to find the best fit, but my heart and brain tearing at each other.

Don't take a ****ty job just because it's close. It'll be even more miserable when you need to quit your first job feeling sorry for yourself and having practiced subpar medicine for the first however long of your career.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I know how the LDR thing is so I really hope you get the dream job. As for your current externship...money isn't everything in these situations. If you're working long hours and 100 miles away it's really going to be rough on your relationship. I also don't think accepting a shtty job is going to make you much better...although living with your SO would definitely help morale. But with so many problem areas...tough call. I think your email is pretty much necessary but I agree with cowgirla that waiting could be your very best bet.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. No response to the email yet (I think the manager is off Wednesday and Thursday). I did receive another interview invite from a practice close to my SO that looks like it would be a good fit- but the interview wouldn't take place until after the deadline for my current job offer. Really torn..

Thanks for the replies, everyone. No response to the email yet (I think the manager is off Wednesday and Thursday). I did receive another interview invite from a practice close to my SO that looks like it would be a good fit- but the interview wouldn't take place until after the deadline for my current job offer. Really torn..

Probably time to decide what is your top priority. I know it isn't an easy decision to make, but you have to decide if it is more important to be close to your SO or to have a job now. It sucks, but if you really feel that you need to be close to/living with your SO then make that your top priority and only look at jobs near/around where he lives. You can always decide later that you need to look elsewhere and expand your search. Definitely isn't going to be an easy decision, but really prioritize what is most important to you when looking for a job and if being with/near your SO is a top priority, then make that your top priority when job hunting. Good Luck! :)

I hate to tell you to wait, but I really want to tell you to wait. Don't accept something in a rush just because you think it's your best bet at this point. I think you can find something that fits the best of both worlds - proximity and pay (and quality of practice, too - keeping mind that I work at a practice with digital dental rads but film otherwise, and the techs take great films and it's not as terrible as it seems like it would be).

Dream job achieved! Verbal offer accepted, going to drive down there this week to sign in person :D

Reactions: 15 users