Class of 2017 Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Date OptomCAS was mailed: 12/06/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UHCO, UIWRSO
Date Interview Scheduled: UHCO (1/11/13), UIWRSO (1/25/13)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UHCO (Attending)

They're still accepting Applications at UHCO! I was extremely impressed by their program. Their new surgical research center can really open new doors for optometrists in Texas.

Members don't see this ad.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 10/3/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): WesternU (12/7), Rosenberg (2/7 -cancelled)
Date Interview Scheduled: <see above>
Accepted (indicate school attending): WesternU c/o 2017! :)

OAT (AA, TS): 320, 330
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.01, ~3.0

Extracurriculars: 4 years of Pre-Opto Club (1 yr secretary, 1 yr president), volunteer Prevent blindness (4 yrs), 3 yrs of volunteer research,VOSH mission trip (Peru), 100+ hours of shadowing (few individual, medical, retail), university scholars program.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 10/24/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Western
Date Interview Scheduled: Western (12/14)
Accepted (indicate school attending): Western (attending)

OAT (AA, TS) 290, 290
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.1, 3.0

Extracurriculars: Supervisor at LensCrafters, Eagle Scout, President and founder of Optometry club in Undergrad, a lot of shadowing and volunteering hours.

Anyone here going to Western or starting a Class of 2017 group on Facebook?

I will definitely be going to WesternU :) I joined the WesternU group on facebook but there isn't an official c/0 2017 group yet. Should I go ahead and make one? I'm super excited!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS was mailed: 12/06/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UHCO, UIWRSO
Date Interview Scheduled: UHCO (1/11/13), UIWRSO (1/25/13)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UHCO (Attending)

They're still accepting Applications at UHCO! I was extremely impressed by their program. Their new surgical research center can really open new doors for optometrists in Texas.

Congrats on UHCO! I'll see you there when we start in the fall!

I will definitely be going to WesternU :) I joined the WesternU group on facebook but there isn't an official c/0 2017 group yet. Should I go ahead and make one? I'm super excited!:thumbup:

Congrats, I'm a WesternU 2015er. It's definitely a great school.

Thank you! That is so great to hear! So you are a second year? How is that compare to 1st year?

Overall I feel first year is more difficult because of the shared courses with the DO students. Second year is all optometry-focused, so in that sense it has been easier and more interesting for me. That said, now that I'm in my second semester, it seems to be picking up in difficulty again. It can be more challenging if you also get yourself involved in leadership or liason positions.
Of course 90% of our faculty are amazing, and the technology and equipment we have is the most up to date anywhere. And I love the asynchronous classes format.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 9/27/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): PCO (10/3/12), ICO (10/8/12) -- withdrew from the rest
Date Interview Scheduled: PCO (11/14/12), ICO (11/16/12)
Accepted (indicate school attending): PCO (11/15/12), ICO (1/18/12- attending:love:) --- took my OAT on 1/13/13 :oops:

OAT (AA, TS): 330, 350
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.36, 3.18

Extracurriculars:
- Worked as a optometric tech for 1.5 years at a private practice
- 1 year as Vice President of a Pre-Optometry club
- 8 years as a youth leader teaching a class of 5-7 year olds
- 6 years as Co-director/Bass player of a Worship band
- 2 quarters of Undergraduate research in the Biochem Dept of Vision Science
- Shadowed three optometrists for 250+ hours total (two private practice, one rural)
- Worked 30 hrs/week as a restaurant server all through 4 years of undergrad (gotta make $$ somehow lol)

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 11/23/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SUNY (11/28/12), PCO (11/29/12), NECO (12/17/12), ICO (12/11/12) --> cancelled
Date Interview Scheduled: NECO (1/11/13), PCO (1/16/13), SUNY (1/22/13)
Accepted (indicate school attending): NECO (1/16/13, date on letter I received, which arrived several days later), PCO (1/24/13), SUNY (1/25/12, ATTENDING)

OAT (AA, TS) 390, 390
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.69, 3.55

Extracurriculars: Media Director and DJ at my college's radio station, receptionist in optometry practice for approximately one year, volunteer research assistant in microbiology lab, several other customer service jobs (worked throughout high school and college), shadowed four optometrists, each in a different specialty (one to two days each).

I would just like to say that my interview at SUNY was great! The interviewers were extremely friendly. It was the complete OPPOSITE of what a majority of posters on these boards portray it as. The other students who interviewed on the same day as me said the same thing. In fact, it was my least stressful interview. I loved the school.

Any plans for a SUNY '17 facebook page?

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS was mailed: 11/23/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SUNY (11/28/12), PCO (11/29/12), NECO (12/17/12), ICO (12/11/12) --> cancelled
Date Interview Scheduled: NECO (1/11/13), PCO (1/16/13), SUNY (1/22/13)
Accepted (indicate school attending): NECO (1/16/13, date on letter I received, which arrived several days later), PCO (1/24/13), SUNY (1/25/12, ATTENDING)

OAT (AA, TS) 390/390
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.69, 3.55

Extracurriculars: Media Director and DJ at my college's radio station, receptionist in optometry practice for approximately one year, volunteer research assistant in microbiology lab, several other customer service jobs (worked throughout high school and college), shadowed four optometrists, each in a different specialty (one to two days each).

I would just like to say that my interview at SUNY was great! The interviewers were extremely friendly. It was the complete OPPOSITE of what a majority of posters on these boards portray it as. The other students who interviewed on the same day as me said the same thing. In fact, it was my least stressful interview. I loved the school.

Any plans for a SUNY '17 facebook page?
we should get a SUNY '17 facebook page going!!!

There already is one. Search SUNY-O Class of 2017 on facebook

Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS was mailed: 9/10/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): ICO, PCO, MCPHS (not going)
Date Interview Scheduled: PCO(11/15/12) , ICO (12/2/12)
Accepted (indicate school attending): PCO (attending)

OAT (AA, TS) 290,290
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.6, 3.5

Extracurriculars: Worked in practice for over 3 years.
Took a 2 year optical program in high school.
Attended many Optometry conference's
Collected hundreds of glasses for mission trips
OneSight Mission
Gift of Sight Mission
Graduating a year early
Started community service project that won bronze medal in 2010
etc etc etc

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS was mailed: 9/12/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): ICO, PCO, UHCO, SCCO, WesternU, NOVA, OSU
Date Interview Scheduled: ICO, PCO, UHCO, WesternU (canceled), SCCO (canceled), NOVA, OSU
Accepted (indicate school attending): ICO, PCO, UHCO (attending), NOVA, OSU

OAT (AA, TS) 330, 330
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.33, 3.33

Any word on the UHCO class of 2017 facebook group?

date optomCAS was mailed- whatever the next mailing was after August 8th, that's when they said it was going with the next shipment
interview invitations- Salus and SUNY (the only two I applied), both on the morning of 8/22
Date Interviewed- 10/8
Accepted- 1/22 into Salus! :)
OAT- 290 TS, 300 AA
GPA- overall 3.7, science 4.0
extracurricular- honor society, intramural sports, lots of stuff..
shadowing exp- about 150 hours when I applied

congrats to everyone else out there :) and those of you not in yet you will soon I bet :)

Date OptomCAS was mailed: early December
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): NOVA, MCPHS, Western (haven't heard from ICO or NECO)
Date Interview Scheduled: NOVA (Feb 4), MCPHS (cancelled), Western (cancelled)
Accepted (indicate school attending): NOVA

OAT (AA, TS) 380, 390
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.15, 3.0

Extracurricular:
- shadowed 2 optometrists
- exec of school club
- student researcher
- volunteers at hospitals. community centers

I'm glad to see someone else is going to UAB. It didn't seem like a popular choice in the previous comments! I live about 6 hours away from UAB (in Kentucky) so we're in the same boat! I've been looking for Facebook groups and other resources as well-not much luck. However, when I interviewed, one of the other girls interviewing that was from around there told me about a useful website for looking for apartments: selectmyspace.com. Hope that helps some!
Hey! Sorry for the late reply, but I just found this facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/153252164831301/

Also, do you know when the orientation and first day of classes will be? The academic calendar online isn't posted and I haven't gotten anything in the mail since I found out I was accepted which I find kind of odd... Thanks!

Hey! Sorry for the late reply, but I just found this facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/153252164831301/

Also, do you know when the orientation and first day of classes will be? The academic calendar online isn't posted and I haven't gotten anything in the mail since I found out I was accepted which I find kind of odd... Thanks!

I just found the facebook group too! I've been wondering the same thing and haven't heard from them since they received my deposit. I did just get an email the other day though about immunizations, financial aid, and some other things, but still no dates for orientation or anything.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: December 1st
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): ICO, SCCO, PUCO, Western
Date Interview Scheduled: Western (1/18) SCCO (1/19), ICO (1/26), PUCO (2/8)
Accepted (indicate school attending): Western, SCCO, ICO (Attending!)...waiting on PUCO

OAT (AA, TS): 310, 310
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.3, 3.2

Extracurriculars: Over 100hrs Shadowing, over 1 yr as a tech/optician, Tri Beta, Tutor...rock climbing, biking, skiing, swimming, music and travel.

I felt that my chances of getting in were low considering my application. However, I recommend listing ALL your extracurriculars (even from high school and whatever leisure/hobbies you're currently active in). Unless you have 3.5+ and 350+, personality weighs a lot against average stats. The essay is also more important than you would think, so try and be unique.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 9/12/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): ICO, PCO, UHCO, SCCO, WesternU, NOVA, OSU
Date Interview Scheduled: ICO, PCO, UHCO, WesternU (canceled), SCCO (canceled), NOVA, OSU
Accepted (indicate school attending): ICO, PCO, UHCO (attending), NOVA, OSU

OAT (AA, TS) 330, 330
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.33, 3.33

Any word on the UHCO class of 2017 facebook group?
agreed, I had been looking for the same. :\

Date OptomCAS was mailed: middle of Dec
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UIWRSO (cancelled), PCO (cancelled), Western
Date Interview Scheduled: middle of Feb (cancelled), middle of Feb (cancelled), middle of Jan
Accepted (indicate school attending): IAUPR (w/ out an interview), Western (attending!)

OAT (AA, TS) 370 / 380
GPA(Overall, Science) 2.88 / 2.63

Extracurriculars: Worked in ophthalmologist's office, Leadership positions in 2 greek orgs.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: early January.
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UHCO, PCO
Date Interview Scheduled: UHCO (2/15/13). PCO (cancelled)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UHCO!

OAT (AA, TS): 340, 350.
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.08, 3.12

Extracurricular:
- shadowed 3 optometrists
- in pre optometry organization
- volunteer at hospitals and church
- tutor

God is good.

Date OptomCAS was mailed = 11/27/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name) = Western, Nova, PCO, NECO (cancelled), UIWRSO (cancelled)
Date Interview Scheduled = Nova (2/15), Western (1/18), PCO (2/13)
Accepted = Nova
Waitlsted = Western, PCO

(Decision pending on waitlist status)

OAT (TS, AA) = 320, 320
GPA = <3.0

Extensive extracurriculars/shadowing

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS was mailed: early December
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): ICO, NOVA, SCCO, SUNY and PCO
Date Interview Scheduled: SUNY (late January).
Accepted (indicate school attending): SUNY

OAT (AA, TS): 370, 380.
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.76, 3.34

Extracurricular:
- shadowed 2 optometrists
- volunteer with disabled children
- mentor

Date OptomCAS was e-submitted: 7/25/2012
Date OptomCAS was Verified and GPAs calculated: 8/08/12
Date OptomCAS was Mailed: 8/09/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): NOVA, Western, NECO, UCBSO, SCO, PCO, ICO, MU, SALUS, UIWRO
Accepted (indicate school attending): Western, MU, SCO, UCBSO (Attending).

Waitlisted at SALUS. I only went to 5 interviews.

OAT (AA, TS) 330, 360
GPA(Science, Non-science, Overall) 3.14, 3.77, 3.41

I attended UCSD for undergrad.

Extracurricular:
- Founder & CEO of a Non-Profit Organization
- Bilingual
- Volunteer at hospitals & community centers
- President of club at UCSD
- Member of several clubs at UCSD including Pre-Optometry club
- Research Assistant
- Volunteer After-school Tutor
- Shadowing health care professionals in different fields (pharmacy, dentistry, medicine)
- Student Athlete : I played college soccer
- Musically inclined : I play the piano

Just to show that grades aren't always everything:

Date OptomCAS was Mailed: End of November ish
Interview Invitation Extended for: SCCO, Western, UCBSO
Accepted (indicate school attending): Western, SCCO, UCBSO (attending)

OAT (AA, TS): 350, 350
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.09, <3.0

Extracurricular:
- President of community service club
- Board member in Pre-Optometry club
- Hospital volunteering
- Vision screenings and health fairs
- Clinical research
- Worked in a research lab
- Co-published an article in known optometric journal
- Worked in optometry clinic for 2 years
- Other extracurricular clubs

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS was mailed: middle of Dec
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UIWRSO (cancelled), PCO (cancelled), Western
Date Interview Scheduled: middle of Feb (cancelled), middle of Feb (cancelled), middle of Jan
Accepted (indicate school attending): IAUPR (w/ out an interview), Western (attending!)

OAT (AA, TS) 370 / 380
GPA(Overall, Science) 2.88 / 2.63

Extracurriculars: Worked in ophthalmologist's office, Leadership positions in 2 greek orgs.

Hey my stats are similar to yours and I'm applying this summer. Just wondering if during the interviews they grilled you about your GPA.
Thanks and congratulations on accepting Western!

For those who had an interview at UHCO, did you have to write a prompt before the actual interview process?

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 1/17/13
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): NECO (cancelled) , OSU (cancelled), ICO, SUNY, Nova, MCPHS (cancelled)
Date Interview Scheduled: Nova (2/8/13), ICO (2/14/13), SUNY (3/6/13)
Accepted (indicate school attending): ICO (attending)

YAY!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
ICO Class of 2017 :)

Last edited:
"For those who had an interview at UHCO, did you have to write a prompt before the actual interview process?"

Nope! Interview day was really relaxed and informal. I got the feeling that they wanted to make sure that they're a good match for you just as much as you're a good match for them. I was really impressed with everything!

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS was mailed: January 10
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SCO, UHCO, ICO, NECO, Western, UIWRSO
Date Interview Scheduled: SCO (2/22), UHCO (3/1), scheduled other 4 for March but cancelled them
Accepted (indicate school attending): SCO and UHCO - still not sure!!

OAT (AA, TS): 340, 330
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.45, 3.5

Just want to say thanks to all of you posters! You've been more of a resource to me than you know and it feels good to finally post something like this myself :soexcited:

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 11/26/12
Interview Invitation Extended for: SUNY (only school I applied to)
Date Interview Scheduled: SUNY (2/28/13)
Accepted: SUNY (attending!)

GPA (Overall, Science): 3.6, 3.4

Extracurriculars: Worked for an Optometrist for four years, shadowed six other Optometrists, a bunch of clubs/organizations at school, etc.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 11/28/2012
Interview Invitation extended for: SCCO, WesternU, UCBSO
Date interview scheduled: SCCO (01/19/13), UCBSO (02/02/2013), WesternU (02/22/2013, cancelled)
Accepted: UCBSO (attending!)

OAT: AA 340, TS 350
GPA (Overall, Science): 3.62, 3.52

Extracurriculars:
Worked at an Optometry office for 1,200 hours during summers/winter breaks/ after graduation (2010-2013)
Shadowed a LASIK optometrist for a half day
Pre-optometry club

I'm thrilled to be entering the field of optometry with all of you!!! :laugh:

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 9/13 Berkeley, NECO, PCO, SCCO, SUNY NOVA, Western, RSO
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): NECO, PCO, SCCO, SUNY, Western, RSO (didn't do NOVA secondary after getting other invites)
Date Interview Scheduled: PCO 11/6, SUNY 11/6, NECO 11/9, SCCO 11/16 .. cancelled the rest
Accepted (indicate school attending): PCO, SUNY, NECO, SCCO ... still deciding on school but leaning towards SUNY b/c of the established OD/PHD program. Also may consider Berkeley if I get an interview.

OAT (AA, TS): 350, 350
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.45, 3.29

Extracurriculars: the usual

Congrats on getting accepted! If you don't mind, what were some of your extracurricular activities? My top school is SUNY and from what I've heard, SUNY is a very competitive school.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 11/26/12
Interview Invitation Extended for: SUNY (only school I applied to)
Date Interview Scheduled: SUNY (2/28/13)
Accepted: SUNY (attending!)

GPA (Overall, Science): 3.6, 3.4

Extracurriculars: Worked for an Optometrist for four years, shadowed six other Optometrists, a bunch of clubs/organizations at school, etc.

Congrats! SUNY is my top Optometry school. If you don't mind, what are some other things you did during your undergrad to give you that competitive edge? I really want to get into SUNY. Also, how was the interview?

Shadowing: Shadowed an ophthalmologist and 4 optometrists. Three optometrists all worked for the same chain/in a corporate setting, which is not ideal because I don't see the breadth of optometric working environments, but I think shadowing 3 optometrists showed effort. The other one worked in private practice.

Research: Was a biology lab aide one year and did independent research another year while in undergrad. Loved that stuff!

Job: Worked for my parents in their food truck during the summers and holidays.

Clubs: Mentally handicapped tutor, student council involvement, VP of a club that raised money for curing disease, club sport, hospice volunteer at one point

Other: Dean's list a couple times and poetry publication in college magazine.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 3/7/13 SUNY, PCO, NECO, MCPSH
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name):all of them
Date Interview Scheduled: 3/22- NECO, 3/26- SUNY, 3/27- PCO (cancelled interview)
Accepted (indicate school attending):NECO & SUNY!!! Attending SUNY!!!!!! :)

OAT (AA, TS) AA=350 , TS= 360
GPA(Overall, Science)= 3.3, 3.3.

Extracurriculars:
Volunteered for optometrist

Congrats OD 2 BE! That's awesome to see that there are seats still available considering you applied and interviewed so late! But then again you have great stats!

Thank you! i went to NECO last week and they said they still had a 1/4 of their seats still available. Good Luck!

Thanks! I shadowed 8 optometrists and worked for two different optometrists for over four years. I'm also in an accelerated program at my undergrad school with SUNY so that probably helped me too. I am a member of Student Government, biology honors society, another honors society, did community service, etc. The interview was relatively laid back and all of the interviewers were really nice. Just know how to answer the typical "Why optometry and why SUNY" questions as well as how to answer questions about yourself. Hope this helps and good luck!

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 3/7/13 SUNY, PCO, NECO, MCPSH
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name):all of them
Date Interview Scheduled: 3/22- NECO, 3/26- SUNY, 3/27- PCO (cancelled interview)
Accepted (indicate school attending):NECO & SUNY!!! Attending SUNY!!!!!! :)

OAT (AA, TS) AA=350 , TS= 360
GPA(Overall, Science)= 3.3, 3.3.

Extracurriculars:
Volunteered for optometrist

Congrats on SUNY!! Did you do any other extracurricular activities? SUNY is so damn competitive!

Im going to UAB too!! And live about 5 hours away!!! Is there something on facebook or anything our class of 2017 has?!

Congrats on SUNY!! Did you do any other extracurricular activities? SUNY is so damn competitive!

Thank you! I volunteered at a private practice for over 400 hours. I'm a part of lions club. Pre-opt club. TA for micro bio. TA for orgo.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: Sometime in February I believe
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SUNY, PCO, SCO, ICO, MCPHS
Date Interview Scheduled: SUNY (4/2), PCO (4/3), SCO (4/12), ICO (4/18), MCPHS (cancelled)
Accepted (indicate school attending): PCO

OAT (AA, TS) - 330, 330
GPA(Overall, Science) - 3.4, 3.3

Extracurriculars: missions trip, couple clubs

-on hold at SUNY (whatever that means lol), just got back from interview at SCO, and head to Chicago next week....want to see everywhere before I decide

But I do have an acceptance in my back pocket so interviews are much less stressful. :D
My stats are proof there is hope for late applicants!

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 2/28/13
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): PCO, MCPHS
Date Interview Scheduled: PCO: 3/26, MCPHS: 4/5
Accepted (indicate school attending): MCPHS (accepted, attending), PCO (wait listed)

OAT (AA, TS): 320, 310
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.2, 3.1

Extracurriculars:
President of a sport club
Supervisor at my job
Honors association

See, even late appliers have a chance.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 9/10/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): PCO, UW, MCPHS, SCCO, UIW, Western
Date Interview Scheduled: PCO (Carried over from last year), UW (Nov 2012), MCPHS (April 2013), SCCO (Declined), UIW (Declined), Western (April 2013)
Accepted (indicate school attending): Western (accepted, attending), PCO (wait listed), UW (wait listed)

*After the tour had been completed at Western, I was given an offer of acceptance right there and then*

OAT (AA, TS): 310, 300
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.8, 3.9

Extracurriculars:
Dean's List
Multiple shadowing of Optometrists
Research in Mycology Dept.
Varsity Ice Hockey
Previous Business Owner