Class of 2017.... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got rejected from all three job-type things I applied for. :( I will be spending a week at VLE (veterinary leadership experience), but other than that it's still up in the air.

I've heard great things about VLE. I did the mini version with just Penn students and it was a great experience. A friend of mine applied to go as well (can't remember if she mentioned that she was accepted or not) but you should have a fun time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So our behavior class is hands down like watching a reality TV show. If the professor and students could exchange blows it would probably more closely resemble a MMA octagon. So many opinions flying everywhere.

Hey Class of 2017. Wanted to drop in and ask out of curiosity what people's plans are for the summer, and how you got the job (if that's what it is)!

I was ridiculously lucky enough that I had a job in this city already when I got into vet school. Because the clinic is EMCC, they need relief and on call techs all the time. I was able to pick up some shifts though out school and this summer I am able to return back to full time due to the fact that we almost always have a tech get into vet school and they want the summer off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Class of 2017. Wanted to drop in and ask out of curiosity what people's plans are for the summer, and how you got the job (if that's what it is)!
I think there's actually a thread about this somewhere, but, all the things I'm doing:
I'm working 8 hours a week at the front desk of our small animal hospital (they emailed us the job posting).
Volunteering 4 hours a week doing animal care at the wildlife center (because I missed out on a first come first serve vet student internship/class by one freaking slot because I was an idiot and got nervous about talking to the lady to register, which was stupid, and stopped in the bathroom to collect myself. Seriously, if it hadn't been for that I'd be in. :smack: Important lesson learned, there.)
Taking 7 credits at our 3 week public health institute in May/June for my MPH.
Taking 6 online credits all summer long for my MPH.
Going on a 2 week VIDA trip to Nicaragua in August (it's a trip people from my school do every year and that I'm getting some funding for).
Probably going to be starting to work on writing some grants for a club and probably doing some stuff for my symposium committees.
Maybe finding an exotics vet to shadow (or really any vet in a good old fashioned private practice, so that is so lacking in my past experience).
Actually taking some time to enjoy myself and explore the area a little bit and maybe read some books and going on a roadtrip with my mom.

So, I should be pretty busy. Unfortunately a lot that time requires sitting in front of a computer... and it involves a lot more money going out than coming in. But, just goes to show that if you can't find one big job or externship to fill your summer, there are always lots of little things you can find to do. Especially if you're availability is weird like mine is thanks to my classes at the beginning of the summer.

Applied for (and rejected from) the Banfield Summer Student Job Program (found out at an info session on campus)
Continuing to work part time at a medical device testing facility as an animal research tech (found through another student who posted a notice about them hiring for evening shifts)
Starting a new part time job as a CSR at an emergency vet clinic on weekends (found while complaining to another tech at the previous job about losing out on the Banfield thing :rolleyes:)
Hopefully doing a 2 week internship at the research animal facilities on campus (email went out for applications to the students)
And finally biking, sleeping, reading for fun, camping, maybe road tripping, possibly looking for a waitressing gig just to bring in more money, maybe moving/buying a house, maybe getting a dog

A lot of random stuff, but I'm definitely looking forward to a mentally reduced summer to recharge for next year

I hate all of you that are done/finishing with exams. I finish classes next Thursday and start exams that Friday :(

Applied for 3 externships and have heard back from none. Theoretically, they don't take first years. But after exams, I'm theoretically a second year, right? Right?
Bar that, I'll be doing 40+ hours a week at Banfield as a VA.
Going to Georgia for the Atlanta Summer Classic in June.
Riding lots of horses!

Last day of finals today- two anatomy exams and then at last immuno. Then, Monday, we start our last block... so we still have 8 weeks more of classes and still another set of finals to go. Not done until the end of June -sigh-. But I'll be doing the VRSP (veterinary research scholars program) here at Mizzou and I'm working with an awesome oncologist who is trying to see if microchimerism has any effect on lymphoma or mammary cancer in golden retrievers. That'll be my summer. All 6 weeks of it (oh, and my SDCC trip!!)

Anatomy is over forever!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
I was literally just coming to post this, yay!!! Anatomy is done!

Reactions: 1 users
Years later, thinking about how anatomy is over *still* makes me happy. You guys enjoy that. Smells like success... and maybe a little formaldehyde.

Reactions: 4 users
Holy cow, WE ARE VM2s!!!! Sooo excited!! So happy anatomy is done for EVER!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Done with first year! I'm not as excited as I'd like to be...I'm thinking lack of sleep and the fact that I have a little more than a day to pack up and clean my entire apartment and make a 2 day drive might have something to do it though. I'll hold off on the celebrations till grades come out :p

Wahoo!! Excited to be done with this block and to officially be a VM-2! :D One more block to go until we get a break, but it shouldn't be bad at all.

Our finals week is next week, but lab portion of anatomy is done 4 EVAR!!! Can't wait to be officially done and crack open the beers and sit in the backyard for a couple weeks before starting my research project.

We're done with lectures except electives, but we still have to do the closing-out for bacteriology lab and exams Tuesday and Friday. Then I will be done with first year!

I spent my evening getting mildly intoxicated with my group from school so that we could record a song we wrote about rabies to the tune of "Baby" by Justin Bieber. And I spent yesterday evening photoshopping pictures of a raccoon attacking Justin Bieber and one of him foaming at the mouth. Oh, the things I do for vet school...

I spent my evening getting mildly intoxicated with my group from school so that we could record a song we wrote about rabies to the tune of "Baby" by Justin Bieber. And I spent yesterday evening photoshopping pictures of a raccoon attacking Justin Bieber and one of him foaming at the mouth. Oh, the things I do for vet school...
Okay, you can't just leave it at that and not give us the lyrics.... Or the pic for that matter! :cat:

aa3ac3b08dadeaedefc3c11bad6ba886.jpg

Drove endlessly today..still 5 hours from home. The majority of the drive wasn't bad but some traffic, rain, a confused GPS and some terrible drivers really set my road rage off. I also had to drive around for an hour to find a hotel that would allow pets and not charge me a zillion dollars. Really Holiday Inn Express? $250 for me to sleep for a few hours? You crazy. On the plus side, I found an econo lodge, the girl at the desk is in tech school and she didn't charge me the pet fee and was just in love with my bird. We exchanged contact info...at which point I realized I really should have business cards. End of random thoughts for the day.

But I dont wanna go back to school tomorrow, My brain is still hurting from last weeks finals :(

Drove endlessly today..still 5 hours from home. The majority of the drive wasn't bad but some traffic, rain, a confused GPS and some terrible drivers really set my road rage off. I also had to drive around for an hour to find a hotel that would allow pets and not charge me a zillion dollars. Really Holiday Inn Express? $250 for me to sleep for a few hours? You crazy. On the plus side, I found an econo lodge, the girl at the desk is in tech school and she didn't charge me the pet fee and was just in love with my bird. We exchanged contact info...at which point I realized I really should have business cards. End of random thoughts for the day.

I got them through the school when they had the deal around Christmas maybe? $15 for 100 and they're nice :) Hopefully they'll be offered again.

I got mine through vistaprint, 250 free + shipping. They're nicer than the ones I had in undergrad, too (thick cardstock, a little glossy) and one of the people I gave one to at SAVMA convention complemented me on how nice it looked.

It has been so hard for me to study for my last 2 finals...not feeling great about path tomorrow.

One exam left, but now that pathology is over that's hard to remember. I just got back from swimming with a friend, and may or may not be going to a pool party tomorrow. :D

One exam left, but now that pathology is over that's hard to remember. I just got back from swimming with a friend, and may or may not be going to a pool party tomorrow. :D
Pool party? Our trees still don't even have leaves on them...

Pool party? Our trees still don't even have leaves on them...

Oh that is unfortunate it was a lovely 90* I may have started walking around in my half naked Florida wardrobe.

Got an A in Path! Must have been by only 1 or 2 points. If only that made me feel more motivated to study the massive amounts of info I need to know for tomorrow's exam. Just need to get through 3 more exams. Too bad one of those has 3 distinct parts. So, really, it's like 6 more exams... boo. On the upside, we don't have class today and it's supposed to be 76 degrees! Too bad it comes with severe thunderstorms this afternoon... and a chance of tornados. :nailbiting: You know, I'd really be a much happier person if I just didn't look at the weather forecast...

One more test and I'm done. I just can't bring myself to care about neuro right now. Only 14 hours until freedom!

Last day of classes today. Two exams stand between me and summer. Radiology which is like my favorite class ever and Nutrition which used to be my favorite class ever in undergrad however, the professor is just an ass and a horrible teacher.

Jealous of all of you with your summers and fun plans. I'm sitting here on day 5 of a new semester and I'm already on the struggle bus.

Yeah, we still have 7 more weeks before summer break. Surprisingly I'm not dying to get out of here yet. It will come soon though, I'm sure.

Yeah, we still have 7 more weeks before summer break. Surprisingly I'm not dying to get out of here yet. It will come soon though, I'm sure.

It helps that block 5 is so amazing! You spend shorter hours at school AND it's sunny and warm outside so it's like a double bonus after finishing up all those months in the anatomy lab and never seeing sunlight. Seriously though, I had the best mood in that block, and I got married in the middle of it lol.

So I signed up for some online shelter medicine courses over the summer. Well they start Summer C. Unfortunately Summer C overlaps with the tail end of first year finals. Which means my classes start now and I am still studying for other stuff. This is horrible.

I had knee surgery on thursday to repair my ACL which I tore at Savma Symposium in March. Holy cow this SUCKS! Today is the first day ive been able to feel a bit normal. I have to get caught up on the 2 days of class ive missed and ill be missing class again on monday. I just have zero motivation right now. I dont know what I would do if my sweet husband wasnt here to help me.

I had knee surgery on thursday to repair my ACL which I tore at Savma Symposium in March. Holy cow this SUCKS! Today is the first day ive been able to feel a bit normal. I have to get caught up on the 2 days of class ive missed and ill be missing class again on monday. I just have zero motivation right now. I dont know what I would do if my sweet husband wasnt here to help me.
Hope it gets better for you soon

One final down, five more to go! One of the professors accidentally gave me a 0 for my suture pattern during the clinical skills final, so that was fun to get fixed. On the bright side, I got to neuter five cats today!

Debating whether to venture out into the looming thunderstorms at 9:30 at night to go study in the anatomy lab, or say screw it and hope that pictures and demo videos are enough. As the minutes tick by, my decision is starting to be made for me, I think. I just hope I don't regret it come tomorrow. Maybe its time to breakout the trusty "I'm sick of studying but still really need to be studying" anatomy coloring book...

One more exam and then I am DONE! So excited to head back to Florida with my pup on Saturday.

One more exam and then I am DONE! So excited to head back to Florida with my pup on Saturday.

Me too. I've got all my study materials, I just seemed to have misplaced my motivation. Perhaps it fell behind the couch.

So jealous right now. We have 3 exams next week... and we are just finishing week 2 of block 5 this week. I feel like our finals were just last week. Im not ready to start this cycle again!!!!

In other news, im slowly making progress with my leg. The pain is slowly getting better so im weaning off my meds since they cause me lots of nausea. There have been a couple times I thought I was gonna blow chunks during class this week even with anti-nausea meds. I cant wait to be off meds and off crutches!!! my first post surgery appointment isnt until tuesday which makes me very sad because I had it in my head that it was tomorrow. womp womp.

Me too. I've got all my study materials, I just seemed to have misplaced my motivation. Perhaps it fell behind the couch.
I've having the same problem. I've almost made it all the way through all my class notes but it seems like the further I get, the slower I go... Not to mention packing up this house to move out is way more enticing than lung phys.

I'm dooooooone! Thank god. I'll be back in Florida tomorrow night! Roommates are now freaking out because I turned off the Internet and returned the router... like I said I was going to back in August. You're all done with finals and I'm moving out; why would I keep paying for Internet I'm not using? Ahh, I can't wait to have my own place next year.